PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, surprise: Broncos really are better team

Fmart322
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Just looking over the sports sections on the web today and saw this article, so I figured I'd post it here. You guys all seem pretty cool, and treated me and my buddies well, so here ya go. Your boys earned it. Besides, if Jimmy wrote it it has to be true.

See, now I'm not surprised by the Cowboys losing in Denver yesterday. I've seen it all to many times from this team. I'm getting used to seeing some sort of great finish, for the other team of course, where the coach and the players hug and celebrate. :tsk:

Pittsburg used their win last year against us as a catalyst for their playoff and Super Bowl run. The Giants used theirs against us the year before that en-route to their Super Bowl run. Who knows, maybe this win will help your Broncos the same way.
.................................................. .................................................. .......

Surprise, surprise: Broncos really are better team

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9809208_36_2.jpgby Jimmy Johnson
Jimmy Johnson served as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-1994, leading them to victories in Super Bowl XXVII & Super Bowl XXVIII. Johnson serves as pregame analyst for FOX NFL SUNDAY.

I really thought the Cowboys were going to go into Denver and beat the Broncos. I really did. But the Broncos are playing much better than I thought. I was thinking they hadn't beaten anybody. Sure, they were unbeaten, but I just thought the Cowboys were better.

Now, I don't know what the Cowboys are thinking. They will be looking at how Tony Romo played again; they will be examining all that. I mean, this was a big game, and Tony didn't deliver again in the big game. I'm telling you, it looks like he needs to get more offensive weapons. They missed Felix Jones in this game because he produces big plays.

The Broncos have given up 26 points in four games. Mike Nolan has done a great job with that defense.

The big thing to me was how could the Broncos go from such a bad team at the end of last season to a really good one this year? Also, I mean, we all heard the news in the offseason. Who was this young kid, Josh McDaniels, and how was he going to be able to succeed with his quarterback (Jay Cutler) wanting out of there? And then his star receiver, Brandon Marshall, acting out so he was forced to suspend him. After all that, I don't think anyone would have said McDaniels would be 4-0 right now.

But when McDaniels agreed to the trade of Cutler to the Bears, he wanted Kyle Orton. And I think Orton is playing the best of his career. They proved Sunday that they are a much better team than anybody gave them credit for. And, at the end, it looked like McDaniels and Marshall have become friends. They hugged each other at the postgame press conference.
________
MEADOWBROOK (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Meadowbrook)

shank
10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
i gotta be honest, i'm a little surprised that we are 4-0... but am i surprised that we are greatly improved as a whole unit? no, not at all.

Day1BroncoFan
10-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I figured we'd be better than the exspurts predicted but this is better than I had expected by far.

Thanks for the article.

Fmart322
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Sometimes that's all it takes is a fresh new look from a new head coach.
________
Weedtracker (http://dispensaries.org/)

Overtime
10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I never thought we'd be 4-0. I had us going 5-11. I also never thought the defense would make this kind of turnaround, this fast.

I mean hell, Doom already has 8 sacks in half as many games. That boy gets 2 more, he's a lock for the Pro Bowl for sure this year. But honestly, I don't care about the stupid Pro Bowl, it's meaningless, a consolation prize for those who don't win the Super Bowl, or make the playoffs.

My friends who are all Chiefs fans and Titans fans, have given me so much grief this offseason, and I half-heartedly agreed with them, that we would suck the butt, and they all just laughed at me, and called our coach a dumb ass for trading Cutler. But hey it's all good, because both of those lousy scuzzbag teams are a combined 0-8, and we're sitting at the top of the league and the conference, and the division with a beautiful 4-0 record! Who's laughing now biznatches?

:salute:

MileHighWrath
10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Surprise, surprise: Broncos really are better team

by Jimmy Johnson
Jimmy Johnson served as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-1994, leading them to victories in Super Bowl XXVII & Super Bowl XXVIII. Johnson serves as pregame analyst for FOX NFL SUNDAY.

I really thought the Cowboys were going to go into Denver and beat the Broncos. I really did. But the Broncos are playing much better than I thought. I was thinking they hadn't beaten anybody. Sure, they were unbeaten, but I just thought the Cowboys were better.

Now, I don't know what the Cowboys are thinking. They will be looking at how Tony Romo played again; they will be examining all that. I mean, this was a big game, and Tony didn't deliver again in the big game. I'm telling you, it looks like he needs to get more offensive weapons. They missed Felix Jones in this game because he produces big plays.

The Broncos have given up 26 points in four games. Mike Nolan has done a great job with that defense.

The big thing to me was how could the Broncos go from such a bad team at the end of last season to a really good one this year? Also, I mean, we all heard the news in the offseason. Who was this young kid, Josh McDaniels, and how was he going to be able to succeed with his quarterback (Jay Cutler) wanting out of there? And then his star receiver, Brandon Marshall, acting out so he was forced to suspend him. After all that, I don't think anyone would have said McDaniels would be 4-0 right now.

But when McDaniels agreed to the trade of Cutler to the Bears, he wanted Kyle Orton. And I think Orton is playing the best of his career. They proved Sunday that they are a much better team than anybody gave them credit for. And, at the end, it looked like McDaniels and Marshall have become friends. They hugged each other at the postgame press conference.

Nice 2 cents by Jimmy but if Kyle Orton is playing as good as he can ... that's scary to me, there's a lot of room for improvement at QB

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Nice 2 cents by Jimmy but if Kyle Orton is playing as good as he can ... that's scary to me, there's a lot of room for improvement at QB

As long as Kyle has not, nor does not, lose games for us - I'M GOOD

TXBRONC
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I figured we'd be better than the exspurts predicted but this is better than I had expected by far.

Thanks for the article.

I was confident that defense would be improved but what they have done has gone well beyond what I expected.

broncofaninfla
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm surprsied we are 4-0 and even more surprised our defense is the reason.

LTC Pain
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I honestly didn't think the Broncos would be as bad this season as a lot of folks predicted, given the tumultuous summer turnover. But I will also say I didn't expect the defense to be this good either or at 4-0. Me like! Keep it up Broncos!

Medford Bronco
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I agree, I will eat my crow as well. I had Denver at 6-10.

I Just hope it continues all season and we win the Division. It will be the sweetest ever if that happens.

4 games and 26 Pts allowed. That was a bad half last year lol
The 3-4 does work. Think Doomervil loves it. :defense: (I thought that I would never use this smilie either) :salute:

MileHighCrew
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I didn't think we would be awful like many picked the Broncos to be, but 4-0 I didn't think that would happen either. I love the way this team plays!

Lonestar
10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I would have bet a months pay that we would not have been 4-0..

never in a million years would this have happened so fast..

the D is playing way over their heads right now:

with a cast off DL.. that would not start on anyone Else's 3-4..

DJ in his 4 positions change in 5 years..

over the hill Dawkins

2 no name DB's from MIA that were not good enough to start there.

doom playing OLB that he has never played a down that his hand was not buried in the dirt..

the only player playing the same position from last year is Champ.

being the top five D right now holding DAL running game to about 125 yards less than they were averaging

anyone else here think it was possible.. (besides War)

Brand
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM

over the hill Dawkins

doom playing OLB that he has never played a down that his hand was not buried in the dirt..

being the top five D right now holding DAL running game to about 125 yards less than they were averaging

Are you drinking koolaid or pouting?

MileHighWrath
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
As usual I predicted a 16-0 regular season ;) but in all honesty I truly did not know what to expect. It seemed unwise to lean in any one direction given the changes that were made in the off season.

Even now, after going 4-0, I'm not certain I know what to expect next week. I thought Orton had a horrible first half yesterday (as did most of the team) and had he played at least as well as the first few games it might have been a true blowout.

I couldn't fathom (and still can't) why so many were so negative, it's not like Bowlen hired Tom Cable and kept Slowik and traded crybabyjay for JaMarcus Russel.

I don't expect anything "amazing" from Orton and I'm certainly pleased with how he's played as a whole so far, but I don't think it's too much to ask that he hit an open receiver. There were at least two wide open shots that were dramatically off target. That being said, dude went 20-29 with 2 TD 0 INT so I don't have much room to complain.

OrangeHoof
10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I think the key to the game was when Marion Barber left. The Cowboys had a good pass/run mix going on while Barber was in there. Choice is a good back but he's not a playmaker. Barber makes plays and moves the chains.

Johnson's reference that Romo needs more weapons was entirely true. Denver must have done a great job of bottling up Witten because that's the guy you'd normally expect Romo to go to in tight situations. With Barber out and Witten contained, Romo really didn't have anyone special to go to. Then, when Roy Williams got hurt, that really but the Cowboys in a bind.

So, while the Broncos should be congratulated on stopping the Cowboys, I think the Patriots will be a much stronger test simply because they'll have Moss, Welker, Maroney, etc., not to mention they'll know most of McDaniels' little tricks.

Still, 4-0 is quite an accomplishment and they deserve props for that.

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
The second we got Nolan I knew the Defense would be much better, and knew that we had the talent to be good in a 3-4. I predicted the hour after the scheduale came out we would be 10-6 minimum and that SD would be 6-10. now i think both were a underestimate..we will be better and they will be atleast that bad if not 5-11.

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh Wait! Who remembers me saying Witten would be shut down and not a factor? Hmmmmm? lol!:woot:

SmilinAssasSin27
10-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Looking at the schedule, I had us at 3-0 w/ a chance to beat Dallas. There was no way the D could have been as bad as 08 and we still have a great OLine and plenty of weapons...at least enough to beat Oak, Clev and Cincy. The issue, to me, was always what comes next. We still have Indy, NYG, Pitt, SD twice, BMmore, Philly and NE. We're gonna find out a lot in the next 2 months.

BroncoWave
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM

over the hill Dawkins

That's not true at all. One started 15 games last year and the other started 16.

And I had us going 11-5 this year (I can pull up the post if anyone wants to see it) and I actually had us starting 5-0 so no, I'm not surprised at all.

Northman
10-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Looking at the schedule, I had us at 3-0 w/ a chance to beat Dallas. There was no way the D could have been as bad as 08 and we still have a great OLine and plenty of weapons...at least enough to beat Oak, Clev and Cincy. The issue, to me, was always what comes next. We still have Indy, NYG, Pitt, SD twice, BMmore, Philly and NE. We're gonna find out a lot in the next 2 months.

Going by what you listed i still like our chances.

NYG- probably loss
Pitt- they are beatable
SD x2- certainly beatable (maybe split)
Bmore- probably a loss
Philly- beatable
NE- probably a loss

If we came out 3-4 out of those games i would be content considering our schedule.

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Hill had 4 picks and Goodman had 5...nobody's huh? More than our whole team last year!

Lonestar
10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
That's not true at all. One started 15 games last year and the other started 16.
And I had us going 11-5 this year (I can pull up the post if anyone wants to see it) and I actually had us starting 5-0 so no, I'm not surprised at all.

that is why they allowed them to leave, gotcha..

as for no name anyone here really heard of them last year.. I know I did not, and had to read up on them..

presonnaly I think we got a steal but they were still no name to me..

BroncoWave
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM

as for no name anyone here really heard of them last year.. I know I did not, and had to read up on them..

Yes, because teams never allow good players to leave when other teams offer them more money. :rolleyes:

Lonestar
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes, because teams never allow good players to leave when other teams offer them more money. :rolleyes:

had they been thought that well of MIA would have matched it..

they did not so guess they did not mean all the much to them..

at least that is how I read it.. IIRC neither of them got blockbuster long term deals..

IIRC they were both for just a couple of years.. looked to me like two year rentals.. but I could be wrong also..

this is what they made last year..

Andre' Goodman $2,455,520
Renaldo Hill $1,955,640

Shazam!
10-05-2009, 11:41 PM
If the D can continue the incredible pace it's on, Denver can effectively compete against any team in the NFL. Can they keep it rolling at this level? That is the question. A win vs. the Pats and a strong showing in SD will tell a lot about the Broncos.

5-1 going into the Bye as a strong possibility.

rcsodak
10-06-2009, 01:16 AM
had they been thought that well of MIA would have matched it..

they did not so guess they did not mean all the much to them..

at least that is how I read it.. IIRC neither of them got blockbuster long term deals..

IIRC they were both for just a couple of years.. looked to me like two year rentals.. but I could be wrong also..

this is what they made last year..

Andre' Goodman $2,455,520
Renaldo Hill $1,955,640

Cap casualties/FA's, and MIA was wanting to go younger, JR. If you go down this road, I can't help you. :D

Most analysts/ex-gm's that I've heard, have agreed those 2 were great pickups. Hill was way better than what denver had last year. And they're both play makers. McD even said he'd liked them because of how they played against his Pats. Hopefully, they'll continue to play well against the Pats this coming weekend.

Tned
10-06-2009, 07:13 AM

How many free agents have we 'let leave' over the years? Quite a few. There is a reasonably good chance that we will wind up 'letting' Dumervil leave, if he keeps it up, and we can't match another teams offer to him.

As to Hill and Goodman. I didn't watch many Miami games and didn't know them, but in the offseason I heard the Sirius NFL guys talking. While they didn't say much about Goodman, any time the subject of Renaldo Hill came up, just about all of the hosts talked about how great a pickup he was for the Broncos.

Tned
10-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Going by what you listed i still like our chances.

NYG- probably loss
Pitt- they are beatable
SD x2- certainly beatable (maybe split)
Bmore- probably a loss
Philly- beatable
NE- probably a loss

If we came out 3-4 out of those games i would be content considering our schedule.

If and it's a big if, we went 3-4 in those remaining tough games, and then win KCx2, Oak and Washington, then we finish with 11 wins (assuming a loss to Indy which wasn't listed). If we only go 2-5, then we still are a 10 win team, and if we lose one of those four I llisted that we should win, we are still a 9 win team.

If the defense plays even 'close' to how they are now, and if the offense can get a little more productive and eat up some clock, then the Broncos should be 'in' most games this year.

Tned
10-06-2009, 07:22 AM

Goodman was 5 years for about $20 million, have of it guaranteed, plus he can earn a VERY achievable $5 million bonus by only playing 75% of the defensive snaps.

Hill was a four year contract. I think $10 million.

While not blockbuster deals, they were also far from 'two year rentals'.