PDA

View Full Version : Josh McDaniels, Brandon Marshall have success in their embrace

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13485880

There were Brandon Marshall and Josh McDaniels, the orange-and-blue odd couple, wrapped up in a big man hug for God, America's Team and more than 76,000 witnesses at the stadium to see, as if being together on these undefeated Broncos was the best thing that ever happened to either one of them on a football field.

Don't you love it?

What's next? A Denver defense that takes you back to 1977 faster than "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac? An undefeated team that proves life can go on after Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler? A crow casserole big enough to feed everybody who predicted gloom and doom for the Broncos? The playoffs? Super Bowl dreams?

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow. Yesterday's gone. And now, with Coach McD and B-Marsh as tight as a hug, why not think about the good times to come?

"He's just one of us," McDaniels said of Marshall, after the 25-year-old receiver who was suspended indefinitely a scant five weeks ago produced the winning touchdown Sunday during Denver's 17-10 victory against Dallas.

If Marshall has bought into this team's dreams, then there's no telling how good reality could turn out to be for the Broncos, the most shocking success story of this young NFL season.

"I've never been 4-0 in my career. I've been other places where after Week 4, you're looking at Week 5, 6, 7 or 8, and the next thing you know you're out of the playoffs and it looks like a long season," said Broncos running back LaMont Jordan, who has known the agony of playing for the Oakland Raiders and the ecstasy of being a member of a New England franchise that had McDaniels on its staff.

Why are the Broncos winning?

"I know this formula works," Jordan said.

There is a distinct order of importance in all the Broncos do. It is organization first, then the head coach, his assistants and the players. Nobody is bigger than the franchise.

"And we're not going to beat teams the same way every week," Jordan said.

We tend to be drama kings and queens, living in a world where conflict is invented quicker than you can say Nancy Grace. The Broncos were the NFL's favorite soap opera of 2009. Remember?

Cutler wanted out. The pouting of Marshall was alleged to be proof that all a rookie coach from New England brought to town was an insufferable ego under his hoodie. Denver was destined to be a disaster.

Well, here's the truth. Kid McD can coach a little. Denver's unblemished record is not a misprint. The 26 points surrendered by this defense in four games is exactly half the damage suffered by the Broncos in Shanahan's final game. What's more, Marshall and McDaniels never truly despised each other in the way Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olbermann do. This was a football dispute about money, not personality.

"You never heard me say anything about him coaching or what he brings to the organization," Marshall said.

Added McDaniels: "I'm not going to comment on where (Marshall) was, but he is one of us. Our team loves him, we love him and I think he loves being part of this team."

The 51-yard touchdown pass caught by Marshall not only put the Broncos ahead to stay with 1 minute, 46 seconds to play in the fourth quarter, it also was vintage Beast.

Marshall bullied the football away from Dallas cornerback Terence Newman, then made like a Pamplona bull, stomping and snorting all the way to the end zone.

"It probably was one of my most emotional plays ever," Marshall said.

Welcome to the party, Beast. Good to have you back.

From a courtroom in Georgia to a contract showdown with ownership at Dove Valley and many hours spent on the training table, it has been one long battle back to Pro Bowl form for Marshall.

"When you go through something like that, it's tough. But in a big game, when you go out and make a big play like that, it's very emotional. I was happy for B-Marsh," Jordan said.

"I think this shows how professional we are as an organization, with everything that was going on, to see the head coach and a wide receiver (hug), with you all making a big deal of the relationship, is something special."

So, how do you like your Broncos now? This team does not get down on itself. If you miss the pouty lower lip of last year's team in Denver, then catch the next commercial flight to O'Hare Airport.

"Like I told you about Cutler: You all can go to Chicago. He's in Chicago. We're the Denver Broncos. Kyle Orton is our quarterback," Jordan said. "I'm not surprised at anything that has happened here."

I'm not saying there will never be another outburst of frustration by Marshall, or promising that McDaniels is ready to be bronzed and shipped straight to Canton, Ohio, or predicting the Broncos will make the playoffs without sweat or tears along the road.

But if Coach McD and B-Marsh can give peace a chance, all I'm saying is:

Nothing's impossible.

Shazam!
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for posting yet another great read.

Az Snake
10-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I gotta admit, when I saw that long, emotional hug by Brandon Marshall, and all the camera angles were on it at once and the whole stadium was cheering,

I wondered.....

Where the hell did Coach McD go ? :confused:
He vanished !
Maybe he was just "wrapped up" in the moment.

:elefant: ....... :elefant: ....... :elefant: ....... :elefant:

MileHighCrew
10-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Good post. I little man hug was needed in this situation

Reidman
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Right before "the hug" it looked as though Marshall was going to break down in tears...probably from months of pent up frustration and emotion that he left on the field with that one play.....

This is why we did not want to lose this guy. I really hope all else is water under the bridge from this point and Brandon gets his payday and contract extension and all is happy in Broncoville...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
You can listen to Brandon talking with Dave Logan on the following link. Also, other post game inverviews on there.

Brandon said his catch was very emotional for him.

http://www.broncosradionetwork.com/main.html

Day1BroncoFan
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Great read, thanks.

LTC Pain
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Brandon made a great play! I think the sincere hug between coach and receiver reperesented a level of "buy-in" to McDaniels' system by Brandon. This just may be the benchmark where BM makes the Broncos offense very dangerous.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Cowboys Postgame: Marshall (I think it's GREAT to hear Brandon finally talking this way)

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall talks to the media after the team's 17-10 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3516&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

AND

NFL Network: Marshall Touchdown

Brandon Marshall's 51-yard catch from Kyle Orton put the Broncos up 17-10 late in the fourth quarter.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3515&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

dogfish
10-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Right before "the hug" it looked as though Marshall was going to break down in tears...probably from months of pent up frustration and emotion that he left on the field with that one play.....

This is why we did not want to lose this guy. I really hope all else is water under the bridge from this point and Brandon gets his payday and contract extension and all is happy in Broncoville...

yea, you could see it on his face. . . dude wears his heart on his sleeve, that's for sure. . . .

D1g1tal j1m
10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
B.M. never said anything against McD that I have read or heard. He was upset at the rookie contact that he had outperformed and at the medical staff from the prior regime that misdiagnosed his hip injury last year.
He tried to bully his way to a extension without giving McD a chance to evaluate how he would perform (or even utilized) in his new Offense. It looks like Marshall is rounding into shape and really learning the Offense and McD is finding ways to get Marshall the ball where he is one of the top WR at getting YAC.
Hopefully we have continued success this year and the lovefest can continue. Nothing cures hurt feelings than winning games. I think the extension is coming if Marshall continues to buy into the system.

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
B.M. never said anything against McD that I have read or heard. He was upset at the rookie contact that he had outperformed and at the medical staff from the prior regime that misdiagnosed his hip injury last year.
He tried to bully his way to a extension without giving McD a chance to evaluate how he would perform (or even utilized) in his new Offense. It looks like Marshall is rounding into shape and really learning the Offense and McD is finding ways to get Marshall the ball where he is one of the top WR at getting YAC.
Hopefully we have continued success this year and the lovefest can continue. Nothing cures hurt feelings than winning games. I think the extension is coming if Marshall continues to buy into the system.

*And stays out of trouble.

pnbronco
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Cowboys Postgame: Marshall (I think it's GREAT to hear Brandon finally talking this way)

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall talks to the media after the team's 17-10 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3516&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

AND

NFL Network: Marshall Touchdown

Brandon Marshall's 51-yard catch from Kyle Orton put the Broncos up 17-10 late in the fourth quarter.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3515&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Oh Carol thank you so much for posting that. I didn't get to see the reaction of Brandon, Coach, Kyle or the hug on the field. We were too busy huging each other ourselves.

The post game report was so refreshing. Brandon sounded like a pro.

It was such a emotional game in so many ways. With that win it was like watching bunch of elephants get off the teams back and not our cute pink one. Kyle kept the ball with that last snap. I think this game will give him a lot to build on.

jrelway
10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
i love marshall.. and im starting to get a crush on mcdaniels now. im loving this team right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I am lovin EVERYTHING I see from my Broncos

Thank you Pat Bowlen for showing that you have NOT lost your mind. Thank you Coach McDaniels for NOT giving into egos, for putting together a GREAT coaching staff, and for bringing in/drafting the RIGHT players

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
You have got to be KIDDING me - Brandon's catch did NOT even make one of the 5 best catches yesterday :tsk::tsk:

Still no RESPECT for the Broncos :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-countdowns/09000d5d81328bde/WK-4-Top-5-catches

NightTrainLayne
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
You have got to be KIDDING me - Brandon's catch did NOT even make one of the 5 best catches yesterday :tsk::tsk:

Well, I guess it was more the run afterwards that was the really impressive part.

ursamajor
10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
You could tell that Josh was overcome with emotion in that press conference. He went through one hell of a trial by fire in the off season and come out tempered and shining. It looks like from coaching to players, that there is something special brewing up in Denver.

T.K.O.
10-05-2009, 04:25 PM

the beauty of whats happening in broncoland....is that the players wont even care if they get respect from the "experts" they respect each other and are playing for the other guys on the team,and thats a very dangerous thing if you are on the other side of the field !:salute:
i predicted a 4-0 start and a 10-6 finish.....i,m starting to think i under-estimated the power of a "team first" attitude and what appears to be more of a turn around than expected on defense.....oh and deon sanders did say that champ was still possibly the best corner in the league,so that is at least some respect !i hope now that marshall has seen that he can still shine without "the chosen one" he will push even harder and be the player we all know he can be !!!!!!GO BRONCOS ...next step 5-0 !:salute:

T.K.O.
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
You could tell that Josh was overcome with emotion in that press conference. He went through one hell of a trial by fire in the off season and come out tempered and shining. It looks like from coaching to players, that there is something special brewing up in Denver.

i loved that play by cutler that you have in your sig....when i watched that i said"holy chit ,that looked just like elways 97 sb play the helicopter!"
he is starting to get pretty comfy in the windy city i'd say....nice to see him having success.
my absolute dream superbowl would be denver and chicago....(with an ending you wouldnt like very much) but that would be just too cool :beer:

dogfish
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM

oh well. . . respect never never put any points on the board or made any tackles. . . .

frenchfan
10-06-2009, 01:52 AM
If McD can do what Pats have done with Moss, then we have something...
BM is a very talented player but was also very dumb (off field).

McD showed him that he is the boss and he runs the business... But he also showed him that if you buy your message you can have a high reward...
If BM understands that I think he'll reach his potential, bring us good days and have a better paycheck next year.

I hope this relationship will go on like that.

:beer: :salute:

Superchop 7
10-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Oh,

so ....NOW.....your "not" running him out of town.

When will you realize.

He had every right to be pissed.

His coming of age wasn't this catch.

It was the day he was kicked off the team.

And showed up to apologize.

Dirk
10-06-2009, 05:52 AM

I agree with this statement. Maturity comes from humility sometimes.

Day 2 after the win and I'm still on cloud nine! :elefant:

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Oh,

so ....NOW.....your "not" running him out of town.

When will you realize.

He had every right to be pissed.

True about coming of age but I don't know for sure that he had a right to be pissed. I'm not saying he didn't have a right to be pissed either because I don't know the inside story.

Since I don't have an inside source to hear what goes on I have to wait and see it come together on the field. I seen glimpses last week but this week it was clear as a bell.

pnbronco
10-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Hey Carol, who cares. The less press we get the less other teams will take us serious and look past us to the next game. It's all good, the team plays for each other and it's so much fun to see that pride back.....:salute:

T.K.O.
10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey Carol, who cares. The less press we get the less other teams will take us serious and look past us to the next game. It's all good, the team plays for each other and it's so much fun to see that pride back.....:salute:

after romo said "there is a reason why they are #1" i dont think anyone is going to "look past us".....other teams know that 4-0 is not a fluke no matter who youve beaten.
i think the cowboys are the last team to look past us this year

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't think the boys looked past us but they sure as hell forgot who Champ is. :lol:

Lonestar
10-06-2009, 12:59 PM

it was number one on ESPN sports center this morning.. made my day surrounded by cowgirls fans at rehab. some even booed it.. it was a dagger in their hearts..

T.K.O.
10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
where did that bluestar dude go?:confused:

TXBRONC
10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
oh well. . . respect never never put any points on the board or made any tackles. . . .

That's true, but it sure pisses off Dawkins. :salute:

Lonestar
10-06-2009, 05:08 PM
where did that bluestar dude go?:confused:

back to cowgirl country..

pnbronco
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
That's true, but it sure pisses off Dawkins. :salute:

I think that's a good thing... You know I never thought about it till now, Dawkins played on a East Coast team so I'm sure he's not use the how we get treated out here.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Can we bring back the snuggies now? :D

ursamajor
10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
my absolute dream superbowl would be denver and chicago

Not too far fetched.

Dirk
10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Not too far fetched.

That might not be a good thing for you. Being the competative spirit that Jay is, he would force a lot of plays against his "old" team trying to make a statement. This would play right into the hands of the new :defense: in Broncos land! :coffee:

Day1BroncoFan
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Any superbowl with the bears in it this year is bad for the Broncos, even if the Broncos win it.