View Full Version : A defense with no ID is one with no idea

omac
12-16-2007, 03:29 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7717933

A defense with no ID is one with no idea
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/14/2007 12:46:18 AM MST

HOUSTON — Somewhere between the birth of their Super Bowl dreams and the sad end of the line in Texas, the Broncos got lost.

But the sense of loss is greater than a stunning 31-13 defeat to Houston.

The Broncos have lost their identity.

"We don't know who the heck we are," Denver safety John Lynch said Thursday night, as his eyes scanned a locker room full of players who cannot figure out how it all went so wrong.

With a 6-8 record and jobs on the line throughout the roster, it's an uncomfortable time to be wearing a Denver uniform. The Broncos are blue. And confused.

At the conclusion of the game, Denver coach Mike Shanahan was forced to give an awkward hug of congratulations to his son Kyle, who wore a smile bigger than Texas as quarterbacks coach of the victorious home team.

Looking at Houston, and doing the math, this lopsided defeat was uncalled for, declared an obviously disgusted Champ Bailey, one of the few reliable players on a defense that has now surrendered more than 30 points a half dozen times in the past 11 games.

The finger of blame for all this team's tribulations obviously has been pointed at Broncos kicked out the door, whether it was Sam Adams or Gerard Warren.

But, for the first time, the players are standing up for themselves and refusing to take all the blame.

"We've got plenty of talent here. Talent's not the issue," said Lynch, a 15-year NFL veteran who's as level-headed as any man in sports.

"Talent doesn't always win in this league. It helps. But it seems to me consistency with this team has been lacking."

While the Denver offense has suffered significant personnel losses, beginning with center Tom Nalen, it's the Denver defense that is suffering from a severe identity crisis, with new guru Jim Bates installing a new system, dumping formerly productive players, then admitting it all was a bad idea by junking his trademark scheme in midseason.

"Things have been changing all year for us," said Domonique Foxworth, a natural cornerback who has toiled much of the season playing out of position and out of his weight class at safety.

"I've been inconsistent. The team has been inconsistent. I think it's a product of our youth, and things have been constantly changing for us throughout this season, and I mean since training camp."

Maybe die-hard Broncomaniacs still can pray for a playoff miracle. But the brutally honest players know that's pure folly.

"We shouldn't even be looking at the playoff picture. We need to look at ourselves and get better. If we manage to win these next couple games and find ourselves in the playoffs, we're lucky. That's plain and simple," Foxworth said.

"We need to look at ourselves, not look at the standing in our division or anything like that. What's important is we right this ship."

Who stays? Who goes?

From Lynch to Bailey, the Broncos are not lacking for strength of will or depth of character. In Brandon Marshall and D.J. Williams, there are young players whose voices now ache with the desire to grow into leadership roles.

But what Shanahan must determine is why his team not only fails, but falls to pieces when faced with adversity.

Does all the personnel drama that has accompanied running back Travis Henry outweigh his talent to carry the rock? Can Javon Walker's ego handle being the No. 2 receiver? Has punter Todd Sauerbrun run out of second chances? How many more 300-pound bodies can be squeezed in the team's revolving door of pass rushers? Can Bates regain the trust of his defense?

How far away these Broncos are from championship contention is too big and too vague a question for a team that's lost its identity.

To stop the losing from spinning out of control, Denver must first find a new sense of direction.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com.

I agree with the article, except when it says that Shanny's teams fail when faced with adversity. The writer is obviously not being objective enough, or is trying to color up his article. The Broncos have sometimes failed and sometimes succeeded. By his statement, he nullifies the Broncos' performance when faced with adversity against Pittsburgh, Tennessee, and KC. Funny how some writers react like some fans. :D

His point about the defense is dead-on. I don't know that this defense has an identity to build on for next season.

Lonestar
12-17-2007, 12:22 AM
As a general rule I have not thought much of this reporter.. I can't remember reading more than one or two of them that were worth a darn..

However I think his quotes of players are accurate, beyond that I'm not all the sure..

Watchthemiddle
12-17-2007, 01:36 AM
I agree that this defense has no idea. How can it with the revolving door that we have seen this season with players coming and going.

broncosfanscott
12-17-2007, 02:09 AM
I agree that this defense has no idea. How can it with the revolving door that we have seen this season with players coming and going.

Hopefully we will have more stability next year.

gobroncsnv
12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
and a few better players.

dogfish
12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
and a few better players.

that's the real key IMO-- we simply don't have enough talent in the front seven, and most of what we do have is very green-- it needs to be addressed in the offseason if we expect this team to get better. . . we also need at least one more tackle who can keep the wolves off cutler. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
12-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Mediator on the Mane is right on what this defense has no clue.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=64183

Time to start drafting with an identity.

gobroncsnv
12-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I think making sure of the quality of players will address the problem of lack of identity. We had an "identity" at the beginning of the season last year, but injuries and lack of a good front 4 took the masks right off. If we have an identity to shoot for, let's make it the "3 and out brigade" or something to that effect. I don't give a RIP about big hits unless the ball carrier goes down, fumbles, or both. We need stops, turnovers, time of possession in our favor, and punt returns. Get THAT going, then I'll worry about naming them. (we did try naming them last year, on "another" board, as I recall)

Stargazer
12-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Mediator on the Mane is right on what this defense has no clue.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=64183

Time to start drafting with an identity.

The link requires me to login. Can you translate?