PDA

View Full Version : Why I am a believer (now)

LawDog
10-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I, like many I expect, have had reservations about Josh McDaniels, hereafter "Coach", I am now 100% on board. Win or lose from here on out he is my coach.

He has this team believing. Playing as a unit. Winning. But it is not just those things which clinched it for me.

After the fourth quarter touchdown, the coach and player had a genuine moment where I could feel the mutual respect coming through my HDTV. I started to come to the computer to write this post then, but you know, there was still game to play and I've only now settled down enough to compose this.

The post-game interview had a question to Coach about Bmarsh and he said something along the lines of "that's between me and him" and Bmarsh came over and they hugged again. You can just tell that Coach believes in what he is doing, and he has managed to get Bmarsh on board. You can't fake that.

Therefore, I'm on board. Welcome to the family Coach.

Northman
10-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Welcome. \m/

LRtagger
10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
bout time! :salute:

LawDog
10-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm still waiting for Orton's finger to finish healing up so I can believe in him too.

Right Top? ;)

topscribe
10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm still waiting for Orton's finger to finish healing up so I can believe in him too.

Right Top? ;)

As I mentioned in another thread, the glove-fingered Orton finished this game with a 117.5 QB rating.

That gives him an average 97.7 rating and a 4-0 record so far this season.

You wait. I'll go on and see what's up ahead . . . :coffee:

-----

SmilinAssasSin27
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
This is an interesting time for both my squads (Broncos and Vols). I know we aren't "ready" but there are clear signs that things are changing for the better. (Yes, even in Knoxville) The D plays w/ a purpose and the O is systematic and doesn't hurt itself. We beat the teams we're supposed to...unlike losing to Oak and KC w/ all the turnovers in the recent past. That I like. The next few weeks wuill NOT be easy, but I believe we will at the very least compete.

Lancane
10-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Right Top? ;)

Injured or not, I'm not buying into the 'Orton is the man'; he is a game manager and when it comes time to win and especially in December those who are nothing more then game managers have a far worse record then the game changing quarterbacks around the league. Those drinking the koolaid will eventually see what I am saying...

As for McDaniels, he has sold me that he is a capable Head Coach, as an offensive mind and personnel decisions...eh...not so much. I believe the defense is real...but I credit Nolan and his defensive staff for that, McDaniels for hiring him.

Tned
10-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Injured or not, I'm not buying into the 'Orton is the man'; he is a game manager and when it comes time to win and especially in December those who are nothing more then game managers have a far worse record then the game changing quarterbacks around the league. Those drinking the koolaid will eventually see what I am saying...

As for McDaniels, he has sold me that he is a capable Head Coach, as an offensive mind and personnel decisions...eh...not so much. I believe the defense is real...but I credit Nolan and his defensive staff for that, McDaniels for hiring him.

Well, last time we had a QB people called a 'game manager', we had a three year stretch where we were third in the league in wins (behind NE and Indy). Those years, we didn't have a defense able to support the 'game manager'. Now, it appears we do.

Simple Jaded
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM

Right Top? ;)

You're expecting to see any better? This is Kyle Orton in a nutshell, just good enough to win or just bad enough to lose, depending on how well the defense plays, it's time to believe in that.

However, the defense did give up 10 points, twice their season average, monster shout out to Kyle Orton for carrying the defense on an off day.......

Day1BroncoFan
10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I've been on board with McDaniels since bungals game. I am now on board fully with Marshall.

I'm not convinced yet with Orton but he's still doesn't kill us and seems to come through somehow.

topscribe
10-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Mo, you know I'm with you on the QBs. But Link is entitled to his opinion . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM

I completely agree with you about Orton. I'm not an Orton "hater" by any means, but the guy leaves too many plays on the field and sooner or later he's going to have to make some plays outside what the system offers.

As far as your other opinion about him, I think it's crackpot guesswork. There's not much selling with McDaniels as a head coach. He's proven that every single time he steps out on the field Sunday he not only schemes well, but he has the guys ready to compete. Your not sure about him being an offensive mind? He's taken a Kyle Orton led team and turned them into a methodical time consuming unit. And they are finishing when they have too. They also step up and make plays when they need to.

And anyone that has been following along with the McDaniels saga knows that he is vey much involved with the defense and devising gameplans about how they are attacking.

LawDog
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
You're expecting to see any better? This is Kyle Orton in a nutshell, just good enough to win or just bad enough to lose, depending on how well the defense plays, it's time to believe in that.

However, the defense did give up 10 points, twice their season average, monster shout out to Kyle Orton for carrying the defense on an off day.......

No, I've been saying that Orton does not have the arm for a real downfield threat. I just said what I said above because we have not had the chance to evaluate Orton with this team and offense on a consistent basis due to his injured finger. If he proves me wrong after he is completely healed, then I will believe in him too. Until then he is still in my questionable column.

Simple Jaded
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Mo, you know I'm with you on the QBs. But Link is entitled to his opinion . . .

-----

I don't think there is anything negative about what I said about Kyle Orton, I'm just saying that he is what he is, a game manager.

After everything is said and done, some are expecting to see him play better than he has and to see something they haven't seen once his glove comes off, I'm just saying that people should actually give him credit for what he is, which has been just enough to win.

Aside from the Int-less streak, this is exactly what Kyle Orton has always been, if not even better (He's made a throw or two that he's just never consistently been able to make). Hopefully McDaniels can get a lot more out of Kyle Orton.......

EMB6903
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Link is right, Kyle Orton is nothing but a game manager, whoever says otherwise is out of their mind, but that is more then I thought he could be able to handle in this offense... Orton hasnt played great but he moves the chains when needed and hasnt turned the ball over.

Ill admit he has proven me wrong so far.

Shazam!
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
The Broncos are 4-0, appearing to go 2 games up in the Division, the defense is better than anyone could've imagined and can seemingly play with anyone thus far. I won't complain about Orton at all. The Broncos could be doing far worse at QB. McDaniels is looking like a friggin' genius. There is somethign special going on in Denver. I hope it lasts.

MOtorboat
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
The Broncos are 4-0, appearing to go 2 games up in the Division, the defense is better than anyone could've imagined and can seemingly play with anyone thus far. I won't complain about Orton at all. The Broncos could be doing far worse at QB. McDaniels is looking like a friggin' genius. There is somethign special going on in Denver. I hope it lasts.

Cutler would have been 6-0.

ikillz0mbies
10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Well stated by OP. I'm glad I wormed my way out of work an hour early to see the ENTIRE game. When Marshall scored that 51 yard catch and run, I was just amazed and my jaw dropped to the floor. Now I know I have stated that Marshall's off-field antics wanted me to see him gone, but I am glad that he is on the team. He is a playmaker and a dangerous weapon in this offense. When I saw him score that TD, celebrate with a smile/grin on his face, and embrace McDaniels, I honestly nearly teared up. To see him go from renegade to team player made me happy for Marshall and it showed that he wants to play on this team.

What an amazing season so far. It's 4 weeks in and I am going to savor what I have witnessed.

Zweems56
10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I, like many I expect, have had reservations about Josh McDaniels, hereafter "Coach", I am now 100% on board. Win or lose from here on out he is my coach.

He has this team believing. Playing as a unit. Winning. But it is not just those things which clinched it for me.

After the fourth quarter touchdown, the coach and player had a genuine moment where I could feel the mutual respect coming through my HDTV. I started to come to the computer to write this post then, but you know, there was still game to play and I've only now settled down enough to compose this.

The post-game interview had a question to Coach about Bmarsh and he said something along the lines of "that's between me and him" and Bmarsh came over and they hugged again. You can just tell that Coach believes in what he is doing, and he has managed to get Bmarsh on board. You can't fake that.

Therefore, I'm on board. Welcome to the family Coach.
Anywhere I can see that? I haven't seen it yet, and I'd really like to.

BroncoWave
10-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Anywhere I can see that? I haven't seen it yet, and I'd really like to.

www.denverbroncos.com

it's the first video

Zweems56
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
www.denverbroncos.com

it's the first video

Aaaah. I'm watching right now. I figured that the official post-game interview was a little too formal for that. I figured it was a locker room interview or something like that.

CraigHwk
10-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I want a McDaniels jersey.

ikillz0mbies
10-04-2009, 10:27 PM
They should make a line of McDaniels hoodies.

LawDog
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, Coach is still my coach, but he's sleeping on the couch until further notice. What ever happened to the team after the bye week was Coach's responsibility to diagnose and fix and he never did.

This drama over the past week just dredges up all the bad memories from last summer. He needs to get it together and learn to be a leader, not just an x's and o's guru. If I'm Pat Bowlen, I'm thinking I could have saved the $7 million I paid to Shanny to play golf in Hawaii and had the same results with a lot less heartburn...

As for Orton, yeah not sold on him at all. Dude is average. Not bad, not good, just plain ol' vanilla. His supposed brains and understanding of the system are balanced out by his concrete feet and average arm. (BTW Cutler had a couple of very nice games to close out Chicago's season didn't he? Just saying.)

silkamilkamonico
01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, Coach is still my coach, but he's sleeping on the couch until further notice. What ever happened to the team after the bye week was Coach's responsibility to diagnose and fix and he never did.

This drama over the past week just dredges up all the bad memories from last summer. He needs to get it together and learn to be a leader, not just an x's and o's guru. If I'm Pat Bowlen, I'm thinking I could have saved the $7 million I paid to Shanny to play golf in Hawaii and had the same results with a lot less heartburn....)

I agree. And I think in terms of Bowlen and Shanahan, Bowlen looked at the situation and said, "I got this same shit record from you 8 of the 10 seasons you were here, and I'm over it". I think he just accepted the team was going nowhere under Shanahan, bit the bullet and made the change now.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
I really think giving Bmore 2 weeks to realize we have no LG killed us. They destroyed Hamilton and then so did Pitt. I can live w/ the losses to Wash and SD due to the QB being out and Philly cuz they are just better, but the KC and Oak losses hurt.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
My New Year's resolution is to trust in McDaniels for this season. It's his show now and I'm going to accept it.

I missed the first six games and came back for the bye week/Balt game so I only saw 2-8. I do find it extremely interesting that with the exception of a couple of guys, everyone pretty much knew at week 4 that if the defense let up even a little, that Orton and the offense couldn't get the job done.

I never made a resolution to trust in Orton, but this thread brings to light that even when things were peachy in Denver there were doubts about him. That's all I can really say.

Superchop 7
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM
In hindsight.......the skeptics were right.

BroncoHusker
01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Certainly not going to throw McDaniels under the bus, but the 2-8 record to finish the season was unacceptable. I'm encouraged that at least he has said the same and also said there are things he needs to do better and work on.

Honestly, I wasn't sure Josh would ever admit that.

I dont think Orton is great, but with a better line and an actual running game he would be just fine in this system, imo. Lets get the lines figured out and worry about the QB later.

Broncolingus
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Lets get the lines figured out and worry about the QB later.

Well said, brother...:salute:

topscribe
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
YEAR W-L

1992 8-8
1993 9-7
1994 7-9
1995 8-8

Yes, I remember well. Elway was over the hill. Get him out of town. Draft a QB.
Fire the coach. He's through.

Then came 1996, 1997, and 1998. An awful lot of us were awfully glad we didn't
know as much as our HC, as many thought we did . . .

-----

LawDog
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
YEAR W-L

1992 8-8
1993 9-7
1994 7-9
1995 8-8

-----

1999 6-10
2000 11-5
2001 8-8
2002 9-7
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
2005 10-6
2006 9-7
2007 7-9
2008 8-8
2009 8-8

The past 4 have been the same as the 4 you cited. Do we wait for 3 more mediocre seasons with Coach or can we chomp at the bit some now? Me no likey average team no matter who is coaching/playing etc.

topscribe
01-04-2010, 09:31 PM
1999 6-10
2000 11-5
2001 8-8
2002 9-7
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
2005 10-6
2006 9-7
2007 7-9
2008 8-8
2009 8-8

The past 4 have been the same as the 4 you cited. Do we wait for 3 more mediocre seasons with Coach or can we chomp at the bit some now? Me no likey average team no matter who is coaching/playing etc.

I agree. I'm just mentioning that, while it is hardest to have faith when times
are not so good, it is also the most rewarding. I don't know how old you are
or how long you have been a fan of the Broncos, but I had faith for 14 long
years, the Broncos' first 14, before I knew a winning season with them. So I
guess you're talking to someone with a bit different perspective on it.

-----

LawDog
01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I guess the point is lost on you . . . :whoknows:

-----

Nope, got your point. I'm just saying we've been average for four straight years. How long do YOU think it will be before the HC (and Orton I s'pose) shows us we don't know what we're talking about? 2 more years? 3 more?

LawDog
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, that was wierd...

topscribe
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Wow, that was wierd...

No, it just occurred to me the point was not lost on you.

You threw me a curve. :D

-----

LawDog
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
No, it just occurred to me the point was not lost on you.

You threw me a curve. :D

-----

Like Gump says, "it happens".

G_Money
01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought he was suggesting that after years of mediocrity (including a couple coached by Wade Phillips) that a new head coach and offensive genius came in and had yet another mediocre season - right before we blew up into absolute dominance.

Of course, that guy had a ton of HOFers on those teams. If Josh can hurry up and add a bunch more to this team, I'd like his chances better too.

But then top went and confused me. We're all lost in the woods now. Somebody hand me a flashlight...

~G

LawDog
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree. I'm just mentioning that, while it is hardest to have faith when times
are not so good, it is also the most rewarding. I don't know how old you are
or how long you have been a fan of the Broncos, but I had faith for 14 long
years, the Broncos' first 14, before I knew a winning season with them. So I
guess you're talking to someone with a bit different perspective on it.

-----

My fanship (did I just make up a word?) goes back to the early 70's. During the summer of '77 I boldly predicted that my beloved Broncos would be going to the Superbowl - which they did and got beat up by the Cowboys. That was the first of many disappointments and crushing SB defeats before the wonderful days of XXXII and XXXIII.

I'm also a Dodger fan and '88 was a very, very long time ago...

shank
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought he was suggesting that after years of mediocrity (including a couple coached by Wade Phillips) that a new head coach and offensive genius came in and had yet another mediocre season - right before we blew up into absolute dominance.

Of course, that guy had a ton of HOFers on those teams. If Josh can hurry up and add a bunch more to this team, I'd like his chances better too.

But then top went and confused me. We're all lost in the woods now. Somebody hand me a flashlight...

~G

G accidentally the whole fleshlight!!

topscribe
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Does this mean we've kissed and made up? :D

*Well, I doubt I would ever kiss you*

-----

LawDog
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Does this mean we've kissed and made up? :D

*Well, I doubt I would ever kiss you*

-----

Were we fighting? I thought we were having a delightful little banter with somewhat different positions on a couple of issues.

Pucker up, buttercup.

JDL
01-05-2010, 05:48 AM
YEAR W-L

1992 8-8
1993 9-7
1994 7-9
1995 8-8

-----

You also fail to mention everything surrounding that hire. Shanahan was a long-time Bronco already at that point, he had the complete trust of Elway (the star player and leader on the team), they had worked well together.

Denver made a strong push for Shanahan in 1993, but Shanahan resisted. But, the fans were anxious to bring THEIR guy back.

We went 1-3 in the first 4 games against the division that year, we were still growing as a team. The next 4 games we went 2-2, but barely lost games @KC by 3pts and to Seattle by 4pts.... these teams we played? They were average/solid teams that finished 8-8 or 7-9... we weren't getting our @sses handed to us by 4 and 5 win teams in Mile High!

We finished off competitively on a high note, the players had done a good job of progressing in their first year and you didn't have team-wide divisions and major offseason personnel issues to still deal with.

You can point to a 100 coaches easily who have gone 8-8 their first season and failed miserably... pointing to one doesn't mean McDaniels won't fail.... the proof is in his team's play and 1) he still doesn't have control of his players and the organization (as there is just as much drama going into this offseason as last and you CANNOT build a team that way) and 2) The guys he did hold accountable played like crap and basically mailed in the season with the Playoffs on the line.

Shanahan's 95' team? He had control of it and they won a hard fought well-played game. You know what else he did? He didn't let the Raiders embarrass him and that is job 1 as the Broncos coach actually... and the reason Phillips got fired (0-4 versus the Raiders)

Denver was 1-9 in the previous 10 matchups against the Raiders, 2-13 going back even further and had not SWEPT the Raiders since 1987!!!

I sometimes wonder if people are just too damn young to ACTUALLY recall what happened in 1995... Shanahan made believers of everyone by doing what nobody had been able to do in basically a decade. Beat the Raiders, it was the single greatest thing holding the team back... they had been swept in 7 of 9 seasons by the Raiders... Shanahan gave the Broncos fans and players reason to believe in him with signature wins. His team was competitive and wasn't getting blown out at home, no actually instead he protected Home Field in Denver, which is rule #2 for a head coach of the Denver Broncos.... you can't win in Denver, then you don't deserve to be a head coach... it is a cardinal sin to give up one of the greatest homefield advantages in football, particularly old mile high... Shanahan didn't so fans week in and week out pretty much saw winners...their 2 losses? KC who was 13-3 that year and Seattle who mounted a late comeback on Denver to win by 4... it happens the fans forgave Shanahan, the team came back the next week after being knocked out of the playoffs and beat Oakland IN!! Oakland... another rarity. That's momentum!

Denver has a distant 6 game win streak to hang their hat on followed by nothing but pretty much inept play and 1 win against a crappy team and 1 win against a team that imploded themselves (Giants went 3-8 down the stretch.) Are those really wins to hang your hat on??? We were 4-4 at home with 3 division home losses... not only were they division home losses, but they were BLOW OUT losses in IMPORTANT games... 1 was for the division (or could have been) ... the other two were for potential playoff spots... and you get your @ss handed to you ... I mean it's not like in 1995 when Shanahan finished 8-8 in a 5 TEAM division with NO team with a LOSING record... no, this division stunk, period... and to get embarrassed by those teams... give up over 300yds rushing in your last game... the team didn't show pride and they didn't show a winning attitude to finish the season.

So, no... this doesn't compare to Mike Shanahan's first season... sorry.

topscribe
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
You also fail to mention everything surrounding that hire. Shanahan was a long-time Bronco already at that point, he had the complete trust of Elway (the star player and leader on the team), they had worked well together.

Denver made a strong push for Shanahan in 1993, but Shanahan resisted. But, the fans were anxious to bring THEIR guy back.

We went 1-3 in the first 4 games against the division that year, we were still growing as a team. The next 4 games we went 2-2, but barely lost games @KC by 3pts and to Seattle by 4pts.... these teams we played? They were average/solid teams that finished 8-8 or 7-9... we weren't getting our @sses handed to us by 4 and 5 win teams in Mile High!

We finished off competitively on a high note, the players had done a good job of progressing in their first year and you didn't have team-wide divisions and major offseason personnel issues to still deal with.

You can point to a 100 coaches easily who have gone 8-8 their first season and failed miserably... pointing to one doesn't mean McDaniels won't fail.... the proof is in his team's play and 1) he still doesn't have control of his players and the organization (as there is just as much drama going into this offseason as last and you CANNOT build a team that way) and 2) The guys he did hold accountable played like crap and basically mailed in the season with the Playoffs on the line.

Shanahan's 95' team? He had control of it and they won a hard fought well-played game. You know what else he did? He didn't let the Raiders embarrass him and that is job 1 as the Broncos coach actually... and the reason Phillips got fired (0-4 versus the Raiders)

Denver was 1-9 in the previous 10 matchups against the Raiders, 2-13 going back even further and had not SWEPT the Raiders since 1987!!!

I sometimes wonder if people are just too damn young to ACTUALLY recall what happened in 1995... Shanahan made believers of everyone by doing what nobody had been able to do in basically a decade. Beat the Raiders, it was the single greatest thing holding the team back... they had been swept in 7 of 9 seasons by the Raiders... Shanahan gave the Broncos fans and players reason to believe in him with signature wins. His team was competitive and wasn't getting blown out at home, no actually instead he protected Home Field in Denver, which is rule #2 for a head coach of the Denver Broncos.... you can't win in Denver, then you don't deserve to be a head coach... it is a cardinal sin to give up one of the greatest homefield advantages in football, particularly old mile high... Shanahan didn't so fans week in and week out pretty much saw winners...their 2 losses? KC who was 13-3 that year and Seattle who mounted a late comeback on Denver to win by 4... it happens the fans forgave Shanahan, the team came back the next week after being knocked out of the playoffs and beat Oakland IN!! Oakland... another rarity. That's momentum!

Denver has a distant 6 game win streak to hang their hat on followed by nothing but pretty much inept play and 1 win against a crappy team and 1 win against a team that imploded themselves (Giants went 3-8 down the stretch.) Are those really wins to hang your hat on??? We were 4-4 at home with 3 division home losses... not only were they division home losses, but they were BLOW OUT losses in IMPORTANT games... 1 was for the division (or could have been) ... the other two were for potential playoff spots... and you get your @ss handed to you ... I mean it's not like in 1995 when Shanahan finished 8-8 in a 5 TEAM division with NO team with a LOSING record... no, this division stunk, period... and to get embarrassed by those teams... give up over 300yds rushing in your last game... the team didn't show pride and they didn't show a winning attitude to finish the season.

So, no... this doesn't compare to Mike Shanahan's first season... sorry.

You know, I never even read your comment past the first sentence.

All I intended in that post was a little encouragement. I don't know what your argument is . . .

-----

T.K.O.
01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
You know, I never even read your comment past the first sentence.

All I intended in that post was a little encouragement. I don't know what your argument is . . .

-----

thats too bad it was very well stated and makes alot of sense.
however its hard to compare a 1st year head coach taking over a troubled and deeply flawed team ,implementing entirely new offensive and defensive schemes and 30 new players to the situation shanny was in in 95'
the main problem i see is that we are now living in a "micro-wave" society....we want it now ! and fans lack the patience they once had....its the "instant gratafication" generation....the same fans who said we would be lucky to win 4 games now want to fire the coach because 8-8 is not good enough.
i understand the difference between 6-0 turning to 8-8 and say 4-4 becoming the same record,but in the end its still better than most expected and anyone who has watched the nfl for a couple decades knows it takes time to build chemistry and get the right pieces to the "winning puzzle":salute:

missingnumber7
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree. And I think in terms of Bowlen and Shanahan, Bowlen looked at the situation and said, "I got this same shit record from you 8 of the 10 seasons you were here, and I'm over it". I think he just accepted the team was going nowhere under Shanahan, bit the bullet and made the change now.

8-8
7-9
9-7
13-3 AFC Championship game
10-6 Loss to Colts
10-6 Loss to Colts
9-7
8-8
11-5 lost to Ravens
6-10

I think your numbers are off.

weazel
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
we love you Josh!!!

56crash
01-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I like this place but you guys always have you training weels on .