PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Browns vs. Bills

Escobar
12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
bout the Bills

The 7-6 Bills keep finding ways to win, and they find themselves very much alive in the playoff race heading into Sunday's game. They've won six of eight to get to this point, and rookie quarterback Trent Edwards has won four straight starts.

They've been winning with a relentless defense that's helped them to a plus-7 turnover margin thus far, solid special teams highlighted by dangerous return men Terrence McGee and Roscoe Parrish, and just enough offense that's adapted to quarterback changes and missed injury time by outstanding rookie back Marshawn Lynch with outstanding offensive line play and big plays by top receiver Lee Evans.

Four of the seven wins have come over the Dolphins and Jets. But the Bills have lost to New England twice, Pittsburgh and Jacksonville, and during this six-of-eight run they've defeated Baltimore and Cincinnati at home and Washington on the road.

The defense has held opponents under 300 yards five times in the last seven games. They've weathered all sorts of storms, too, with six of the 14 players on injured-reserve being defensive contributors.

A win by the Bills would make the race for the second AFC Wildcard a very wild one with two weeks remaining in the season. A loss would all but eliminate the Bills from playoff contention.

When the Bills have the ball...

Both Lynch (107) and Jackson (115) rushed for more than 100 yards last week.

Lynch is the workhorse and needs just 142 yards to pass 1,000 for the season despite missing three games with an ankle injury. He'll split some carries Sunday with Fred Jackson, a journeyman who's produced more than 360 yards of total offense in essentially the last two games.

The Browns know they need to stop the run first and try to put Edwards into must-pass situations, especially if the game is played in the type of winter weather Edwards, a native Californian, isn't used to seeing. The Browns generated four sacks last week and will try to duplicate that success this week.

Evans, a Bedford native, caught two touchdown passes last week and has more 70-plus yard touchdowns this decade than any other NFL player. He's also the NFL's most productive December receiver over the four years he's been in the league and will be looking to post big numbers in his hometown Sunday.

The Browns' secondary could be back at full strength this week if Eric Wright returns from a knee injury, and the defensive front is getting healthy again as well. Antwan Peek (ankle) has missed two practices this week, and if he can't play the Browns will again to have scramble to find pass rushers.

When the Browns have the ball...

The Browns have shown the ability to adapt, featuring Jamal Lewis twice in the last three weeks and still attacking through the air as well. Derek Anderson has thrown multiple TD passes in each of the last three games as well, and Braylon Edwards tied a team record with his 12th TD catch of the season last week.

Kellen Winslow needs 57 receiving yards to join Edwards in the 1,000-yard club for the season, and his presence in the middle creates headaches for all defenses, not just Buffalo's. The Bills do have a solid, veteran linebacking corps and an emerging star at strong safety -- Cleveland native Donte' Whitner -- to try to keep Winslow and Lewis in check.

Defensive ends Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay anchor a veteran defensive front, but the Bills have just 19 sacks on the season. McGee is the top corner and will probably spend most of the day on Edwards, so two questions remain. One, how will the Bills defend Winslow, and, two, will the Browns have Joe Jurevicius (knee) available to keep defenses honest?

Free safety George Wilson suffered a season-ending rib injury last week, leaving Jim Leonhard to return as the starting free safety. Leonhard started three weeks early in the season following original starter Ko Simpson's season-ending broken leg in Week One.
Marshawn Lynch with the Bills

Escobar
12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Its incredible how well the bills are playing even after all those injuries early the in season. Despite those patriot games, they been in every game.

Close game browns 28-bills 24 :salute:

Stargazer
12-15-2007, 02:59 AM
If the Browns are heading to the playoffs, they will take care of this game.

I expect atleast a TD win.

Pay Anderson the money. Things are up & right in Cleveland. And that is saying something.

SR
12-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Its incredible how well the bills are playing even after all those injuries early the in season. Despite those patriot games, they been in every game.

Close game browns 28-bills 24 :salute:

I think the first half will be close, but I expect Derek Anderson to have a big second half.

Browns 31, Bills 21

Cleveland Rocks
12-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Pay Anderson the money. Things are up & right in Cleveland. And that is saying something.

I expect a win as well.

But I disagree on Anderson. To be a good quarterback in the NFL there are 2 things that are necessary to have success. First is to be an accurate quarterback. Make good throws and have them on the money. Anderson is below average at that (with accuracy in the 50-58% range). Second, to be successful a QB has to have brains and be able to read defenses on a consistant basis. Once again, Derek Anderson is below average at that and is among the league leaders in interceptions. The man has a gunslinger attitude and sure with some players that leads to success but for all the Brett Favres out there there are also the Ryan Leafs. Anderson should be tendered and the team with the best offer for Anderson should get him. That way the Browns gain more draft picks and can continue to build the team - especially on defense.

SR
12-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Bla bla bla. I hope he throws for 300 yards and three TDs.:rolleyes:

omac
12-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Very nice breakdowns, Escobar! :salute:

I'm glad their sticking with Trent Edwards. I really think he's much better QB than Lossman, and their offense executes more confidently with him at the helm.

I think if it's a high scoring game, the Browns win; tough for most teams in the NFL to score as much as the Browns. But if it's a low scoring game, the Bills have a chance.