PDA

View Full Version : Who takes losses harder?

BaiLeY324
12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Faithful fans, or players?

It's seriously a question to think about. I'm feeling like absolute ish right now, since we're basically officially out of the playoffs now

Bronco Bible
12-14-2007, 09:43 AM

It's seriously a question to think about. I'm feeling like absolute ish right now, since we're basically officially out of the playoffs now

Imo and using last nights game as a barometer ,Faithful fans , it looked like (a good part of) the players didn't give a flying flip.:tsk:

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I think fans that have unrealistic expectations take it harder than they should..

While I really want them to win, when using logic and really looking at the possibilities.. I concluded that this team while talented was not good enough to get the job done consistently considering the schedule they had..

Throw in all the injuries they have had and it was glaringly obvious it was not gonna happen.

In todays NFL world with cap issues, in DEN case having lousy at best drafts in years prior to 2006 maybe 2005 if you want to think that Williams was as good as some make him out, that Paymah and foxworth are starter material. I for one see them as nothing but solid backups..
2004 was a total bust and those are the players that should be having a critical role in the success of this team toady if not in most cases starters. But alas not a single one has amounted to anything on this team.. and are backups of a poor DET team, if in the NFL at all.. an entire draft wasted..

Not counting a few OLINE guys that were/are not wanted by other teams and a couple of LB's (Al, DJ and gold (who is today questionable) ), Poortis and price mikeys handling in the draft has been abysmal.. Because of that we have had to build this team via Free Agency and UDFA's.

NOW I will grant you that the last 2 drafts have been productive and looks like there may be a good nucleus to build on but that may take another great draft or two and some more high priced FA.

All of the experience the kiddies got this year filling in for wounded players will be invaluable and produce some real battles next year when Vets come back healed..

Now it was obvious to all last night this OLINE is not very good, had it not been for stunning performances by Scheffler and Marshall the game would have been another HUGE blow out..

We could not run on pretty good DL. A rookie and a second year man. HOU was smart and got quality guys in the draft..

The mastermind got out coached by his former backup QB, a truly sad day in DEN..

He got out GM'd by his old personnel guy.

He got beat at his own game by his son.

How the mighty have fallen.

cpr940
12-14-2007, 11:58 AM

I would have to say the players. They likely feel that they were in direct control of their actions, and therefore could have won if they had done thinsg differently.

Most pro athletes have a confidence that they can always win if they do things right, and when they lose it's their fault, no matter how well the other team plays.

As a fan, I have no control over any of it, and I know that there is always a variable chance my favorite team will lose. So, I doubt I can feel worse about it than someone who competes to win for a living, even if I tried.

Watchthemiddle
12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
JR, your 100% correct. While its nice to see a big win like last week, everyone should have put that into perspective.

What is the stat they showed last night...something like the Broncos have averaged 32 points over their last 3 games....well two of those were losses, and the other was to the Chiefs.

This team this season has given us false hope. THe first two games of the season, even though they were wins, should have warned us all of the outcome of the season.

Young inexperienced QB leading a bunch of young injured players that would be other teams 2nd stringers but we have them as starters.

As good as this offseason coming up could be with bringing in new good talent, I fear its going to take more then one off season to help this team.

Two years in a row with no playoffs. We go from dominating teams, winning Super Bowls, to no playoffs, to making it 3 years in a row and playing in the AFCCG, to two consecutive years with no playoffs.

Sad sad sad.

:coffee:

silkamilkamonico
12-14-2007, 12:48 PM
"Faithful" Fans take losses harder.

Players get upset, but they understand the situation. They've dealt with it all their lives. They understand how it feels to work so hard for something and still lose. They also understand it isn't the end of the world.

"Faithfull" fans on the other hand, some of them lose complete irrationallity, get depressed, sometimes even think about suicide, and then start spouting off illogical arguments such as, "we need to fire Shanahan, get a new QB, and sign this person in free agency", as if the NFL was built like maddena and interchangeable.

Yes, I'm mainly talking about the irrational ones.

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
JR, your 100% correct. While its nice to see a big win like last week, everyone should have put that into perspective.

What is the stat they showed last night...something like the Broncos have averaged 32 points over their last 3 games....well two of those were losses, and the other was to the Chiefs.

This team this season has given us false hope. THe first two games of the season, even though they were wins, should have warned us all of the outcome of the season.

Young inexperienced QB leading a bunch of young injured players that would be other teams 2nd stringers but we have them as starters.
As good as this offseason coming up could be with bringing in new good talent, I fear its going to take more then one off season to help this team.

Two years in a row with no playoffs. We go from dominating teams, winning Super Bowls, to no playoffs, to making it 3 years in a row and playing in the AFCCG, to two consecutive years with no playoffs.

Sad sad sad.

:coffee:

MIkey did a lot this year with smoke and mirrors.

Last night he got his ass kicked by his old BACKUP QB and his son. Wonder how much they were in his head all night..

BigBroncLove
12-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, I have no idea. It all about the individual really. For older veterans losses are easier to swallow I imagine, they've seen more of them. For young players I imagine its harder to bare. I think for players though, and take this with a big grain of salt because I am not an NFL player so everything I say about them is speculation, is how well they played that day. For the player who gave his all, and contributed consistently and well to a losing effort I imagine its easier to bare the loss because they did their best, but harder to look at the loss with distain since others may have not played with the same passion or skill that week (and it changes every week).

For players who made big mistakes that cause losses, ahem like certien members of the offensive line and front seven yesterday IMO, its harder to take because you have a bigger burden in the loss. For players who don't play at all it matters IMO but not nearly as much. It just depends. Also remember these are bsuiness men. Players who have a long invesment in this team either past or in the future are bigger Bronco fans. For a lot of these players though who have been on several different teams or are just becoming a part of the Bronco organization with small contracts, watching the Broncos win or lose is more of a business then a passion

For us fans its the same deal, its all on the individual. Some go into watching the game expecting a win and take the loss harder. Some go in with mild expectations and walk away with less anger and sadness at the sight of the loss. Everyone is different and approach these differently based on their views and experiences with the team (as a fan or player).

I will say this though, I don't think anyone takes this losss harder then the young players with a lot of investment in this team. You can see the passion in Cutlers face. He is a competitor through and through, and I think for players like that who not only enjoy being with the Broncos but also doel their love out in sweat and blood, a key loss at the end of a rolalr coaster season is hard hard hard to take. And I consider Marshall to be one as well, the way he gets angry at himself when he doesn't pull a pass in when he thinks he could have, like the TD pass broken up last night and Marshall yanked his chin srap off and yanked down on the straps, thats passion. Us fans will forget games like this a year or two down the line, but these games will always be with the players, they are etched in their memory.

In my opinion there is no clear cut answer to yoru question, just the individual in question. Everyone is different and hwo they respond to these losses is similarly different. For me personally the losses to teams I hate are the worst to take. For instance I hate the Raiders. I hate em.... its the way I was raised LOL. That loss was the hardest to take for me this year. I get to the point of almost being a child, not able to talk to anyone without a tinge of anger for a good thirty minutes and the desire to kick things and say "don't talk to me!" tend to follow such losses. My two cents.

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Let me add something here..
Last year my daughter rallied her team from being down 20-8 in the State VB Championship Game.
Brought them back almost single handedly in scoring kill after kill, to game point of 24-23 only to have her best friend of 5 years make a stupid freshmen like mistake going for a ball that would have been out of bounds by at least 8-10 feet, while standing 1 foot in front of the back of the end line..

It is a play that will be forever etched in at least two girls minds, one being the last play of her Volleyball career and losing the game for her teammates, the other of carrying her team almost to the win..

One has given up playing VB altogether, the other to play in college.

When I ask my daughter about games from years past she can almost run the game through her mind, as to what happened. What she did that game..

The passionate players never forget.. the ones going through the motions or are out there for the money, do not lose sleep at night about a bad play/game ..

silkamilkamonico
12-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Let me add something here..
Last year my daughter rallied her team from being down 20-8 in the State VB Championship Game.
Brought them back almost single handedly in scoring kill after kill, to game point of 24-23 only to have her best friend of 5 years make a stupid freshmen like mistake going for a ball that would have been out of bounds by at least 8-10 feet, while standing 1 foot in front of the back of the end line..

It is a play that will be forever etched in at least two girls minds, one being the last play of her Volleyball career and losing the game for her teammates, the other of carrying her team almost to the win..

One has given up playing VB altogether, the other to play in college.

When I ask my daughter about games from years past she can almost run the game through her mind, as to what happened. What she did that game..

The passionate players never forget.. the ones going through the motions or are out there for the money, do not lose sleep at night about a bad play/game ..

I know the feeling as a HS vball coach myself, and you feel for both those kinds of players, and more importantly you feel for the ones that play with passion.

I don't think the games mean less to the players that are bleeding and sweating everyday for the opportunity to win and then don't come through, but I definitely think they hold a different perspective then some of the fans, who only really watch when they play their games, and then get upset at the players for not coming through.

Those players hurt too, but I think the fans, especially in a professional sport, have a harder time letting it go.

NameUsedBefore
12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Donnie Moore > Faithful Fans > Players

champbronc2
12-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Imo and using last nights game as a barometer ,Faithful fans , it looked like (a good part of) the players didn't give a flying flip.:tsk:

Looked like Bailey and Foxworth were pretty fired up about it.

That's all I noticed though.

broncosfanscott
12-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Being spoiled by the success that the Broncos have had in the past it is easy to take the losses hard. I always do, however this year I haven't because with a young QB, a new DC, and then all the injuries that happened every week didn't help.

I totally agree with you Jrwiz. There is lack of depth on our team and hopefully we can fix that through the next few drafts so that the backups can step in a keep things moving.

Stargazer
12-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Faithful fans definately take it harder.

To some people the Denver Broncos is a religion.

WAB
12-15-2007, 05:40 AM

Players get upset, but they understand the situation. They've dealt with it all their lives. They understand how it feels to work so hard for something and still lose. They also understand it isn't the end of the world.

"Faithfull" fans on the other hand, some of them lose complete irrationallity, get depressed, sometimes even think about suicide, and then start spouting off illogical arguments such as, "we need to fire Shanahan, get a new QB, and sign this person in free agency", as if the NFL was built like maddena and interchangeable.

One of the more accurate posts of the last decade...

omac
12-15-2007, 01:04 PM

LOL, great post, man! :cheers:

pnbronco
12-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Depends on the person and the day. I think that players are really competitive and that they hate to lose at anything. I've been at golf tournaments and seen this first hand. I think many of the players have the perspective that their job is being a football player. I think free agency has really driven this home most players can be here today and fired tomorrow.

Reading the some of the posts on the other board I am surprised at how personal some people take the losses. I've been a Bronco fan for so long I can't even remember how many years it's been. So I may be frustrated at the moment but my teenagers have taught me what true frustration is. My true hope is that the game gives me a relief for that afternoon. I guess this hasn't been a good year for that.