PDA

View Full Version : A Closer Look: Dallas Cowboys

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9428

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After speeding off to a 3-0 start, the Broncos return home this week to take on the Dallas Cowboys at INVESCO Field at MIle High.

The Cowboys sport the league's No. 1 rushing offense, fueled by a trio of talented backs in Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice.

The Broncos counter with the league's No. 1 overall defense, allowing just 214.7 yards per game.

It's a matchup the Broncos defense is excited about.

"We know we're going to get their best shot, and that's the great thing about being in the National Football League -- week in and week out is a great challenge," Elvis Dumervil said.

Both Barber and Jones are listed on the team's injury report -- Barber is listed as probable for Sunday's contest, while Jones will be out this weekend. But regardless of which back takes the carries, the Broncos know they're in for a battle.

"Coach always talks about we've got to build a wall," Vonnie Holliday said. "When we see teams on film, when they break down is when there is a break in the chain, when guys up field are trying to get at the quarterback when it is a running game and they find the seams. They are so talented that when you make a mistake they can capitalize on it."

The Cowboys are averaging 193.7 rushing yards per game, including 6.8 yards per carry. Plenty of that has to do with the backs, obviously -- Barber and Jones have both rushed for more than 200 yards this season, Choice has exactly 100 yards rushing through three weeks and all three backs have found the end zone at least once.

But Dallas' success in the run game has just as much to do with the size and physicality of the offensive line. The group ranges in height from 6-foot-4 to 6-foot-8, and their weights run from 307 to 353 pounds.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels said the group has opened up holes "I am not sure I will see the rest of the year," where the running backs aren't touched until they're into the secondary.

"Certainly, there is no finesse in it at all," McDaniels said. "This is a powerful group, a big group that you have got to do a good job of trying to disrupt them at the line of scrimmage some way, shape or form or it could be a long day."

The third aspect of the running game's success is actually the prowess of quarterback Tony Romo. His ability to keep teams honest -- he has thrown for 735 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions this season -- helps create space for running backs. His weapons in the passing game, including Roy Williams at receiver and Jason Witten at tight end, complement the quarterback's ability to make plays.

Romo's three interceptions, all in the team's Week 2 contest, have some people talking about a slow start for the Dallas signal caller. But the Broncos know what he brings to the table, and are ready for a big-time game from the Pro Bowl quarterback.

"Romo is a gunslinger -- what you see is what you get," Holliday said. "He's the type of guy who is going to buy time with his feet. Out of the corner of his eye he sees a receiver running down the field open -- he's going to sling it.

And when he does sling it?

"I'm just hoping I'll be there to catch it," Champ Bailey said.

The Broncos defense knows it's in for a challenge, but the offense has it's work cut out as well. The Cowboys defense hasn't put up big stats this season, as the unit is ranked No. 26 in the league and has garnered three sacks, two interceptions and one fumble recovery. But the group still has plenty of playmakers, ranging from 2008 sack leader DeMarcus Ware to nose tackle Jay Ratliff to cornerback Terence Newman.

So the Broncos know they're in for a test in all three phases of the game come Sunday, and Kyle Orton said the squad is ready.

"Every week in this league is a statement game," he said. "You get a chance every week to go out and show who the best team is that week. That is no different this week."

Superchop 7
10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Tell me something I don't know.

We don't match up well.

Ziggy
10-03-2009, 10:38 PM

We don't match up well.

Lex, is that you?

Superchop 7
10-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Lex, is that you?

__________________________________________________ ________

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM

We don't match up well.

Why? #1 defense, against #1 offense

Brand
10-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Why is it that people tell us that the Broncos' ratings are suspect because they were built on beating "bad teams", but the 'Boys' ratings make them the "Number ! Rushing Team"? Further, I am not impressed with their D yet.

Excuse me, but we are ever so greatful that the 'Boys will kindly come to Our House we paid for it) and let our team play with them. We are so sorry in advance that the lowly Broncos just might not be competition for the almighty 'Boys....

Give me a fraling break.

Bronco Warrior
10-04-2009, 12:24 PM
That Number 1 rushing team had a short gain get blown upo by the Dallas center not bing able to get his slow fat backside out of the way of the back who literally ran up the lineman's back! Compare that to us "Student Body Right" with all our quick nasty agile linemand leading Graham a TE..lol...downfield! Tell me about who has the dominant line again? Child Please!

topscribe
10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
That Number 1 rushing team had a short gain get blown upo by the Dallas center not bing able to get his slow fat backside out of the way of the back who literally ran up the lineman's back! Compare that to us "Student Body Right" with all our quick nasty agile linemand leading Graham a TE..lol...downfield! Tell me about who has the dominant line again? Child Please!

I do believe the Cowboys' O-line is for real in the running game, which is why
they are #1 in that area so far. But I also believe the Broncos' run defense is
real. So who knows who will get the advantage over whom.

But I will say that, if the Broncos limit the Cowboys to an "average" rushing
game, the Broncos will win (assuming they don't turn the ball over) because the
Broncos win the matchups in too many other areas.

IMHO.

-----