PDA

View Full Version : Broncos take a stand on tackling

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2009, 08:26 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13475212?source=rss

Rulers measure length, thermometers measure temperature and odometers measure miles that have passed. Tackling? Well, that can measure the beating heart of a defense.

"It's all want-to," Broncos linebacker Darrell Reid said.

"It's a pride thing; you have to take pride in it, want to do it," said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. "It isn't always fun, but the teams that do it well can accomplish some things."

A lot of real estate remains between the Broncos making something special of their 3-0 start, but in the early going the team's defense has been much improved, in large part by avoiding the erosion of field position caused by the dreaded "yards after contact."

In recent years, the Broncos often struggled in executing one of football's basics — sound tackling. This year, new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan made it a point of emphasis.

"It was discussed, a lot," linebacker D.J. Williams said. "We put the pads on in training camp, we tackled to the ground some days, we talked about coming in at the right angle, all of that. And then you get as many guys to the ball as you can, bring everybody.

"Then if you miss, there is three more guys anyway."

At its root, tackling is bruise-inducing geometry. Good tacklers approach at the correct angle, get in the right position, get the helmet across the front of the target and wrap up with their arms.

But with the speed and strength of today's players, tackling can often be simply survival, locking on and hanging on until help arrives. And, after training camp ends in the summer, it's a technique that is often not practiced much in the NFL because of limited roster size, the risk of injury and the week-to-week struggle to simply get ready for the next opponent.

Which is why creating good habits early in camp is key, because those habits have to survive over the course of a season.

"When you're taking a proper angle, that's kind of half the battle," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "And then when you get there, as long as you don't let the guy go back to open space where you don't really have any help, then it comes down to putting your face in there, wrapping him up and holding on until one of your teammates comes, or bring him to the ground yourself.

"You can eliminate a lot of big plays if you've got good tacklers."

Nolan said he graded the defense with just three missed tackles in the victory over Oakland on Sunday, in 44 snaps — 23 runs, 21 passes. There were times in the last three seasons when the Broncos had players miss that many tackles in a quarter.

McDaniels said the ability to tackle was a consideration when assembling the roster. Free-agent signees such as Reid, linebacker Andra Davis, safety Brian Dawkins and safety Renaldo Hill, as well as draft picks such as cornerback Alphonso Smith, had traditionally been sure tacklers.

Bailey has long been considered an elite tackler. He keeps his eyes on the ball carrier longer than most defenders as he closes in — many players duck their heads early, going for the "SportsCenter" moment — to ensure he gets his man down.

"People don't think about it much, but teams that do it (well) win, and how you do it says a lot about who you are," Bailey said.

Nolan said it's important to not leave defenders in too many one-on-one situations in the open field.

"I don't care who the player is. If you have five open-field tackles you've missed, you've got to question your scheme a little bit," he said. "You can teach it a lot of ways, but there needs to be a pack going to the ball all the time, and if the first guy misses, the pack usually tackles him."

Tackling 101

The Broncos have shown themselves to be an improved tackling team in the early going this season. Talk to scouts and personnel executives around the league, and it's pretty universal what makes a good tackling team over the long haul:

Be willing. Collisions hurt, and it's a tough job braving them week after week.

Run to the ball. Defenders consistently in 1-on-1 situation in the open field, without help on the way, will be at a disadvantage over time.

Limit yards after contact. Get the ball carrier down at the point of contact.

Eyes up. The knockout shots may look great on the highlights, but consistently charging in with your head down will result in more misses than hits.

Gather yourself. Defenders have to get their feet under them, square up and drive through the ball carrier.

Hang on. There are elite athletes all over the field. So accept that plenty of times it won't be pretty, just hang on until the help arrives.

Bronco Warrior
10-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Tackling fundamentals are key and have been missing before Nolan's arrival. Tackling is a key to team defense.... I use to tell kids that I coached in Pop Warner Tackling is a team sport...if you can't bring the person down in the first shot hang on till the rest of your guys show up. Good position and fundamentals will take you far. Breakdown head and shoulder position and drive thru the man not to the man! And how many times have you all seen a defender that had good position and angle change a runner's movement to drive him into help?

gobroncsnv
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
It's kind of amazing how the 2 most basic elements of football can win you some games. If you can out-block and out-tackle the other team, usually you're gonna win. There is a whole lot of "science" to football, prepping for the game and the opponent's tendencies, etc... but NOTHING trumps good execution of the fundamentals.

Shazam!
10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
This is one of the biggest differences between last year's abysmal defense to this year's.

Maybe Nolan could've made Nate Webster better too...

Nah.

Lonestar
10-03-2009, 12:53 PM
an amazing concept the past several years teams flat lacked..

hard to understand why

Nomad
10-03-2009, 01:25 PM

hard to understand why

It is amazing these guys have lacked what we (football players) have been taught from day one.....blocking and tackling. Another pet peeve of mine is ball security and catching with your hands!!

Sure you can blame it on the speed of the game but that's BS because that's why these guys were selected to be professionals and they're supposed to play at this high level, which is apply the basic fundamentals of football.

BrooklynCowboysfan
10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice post.

This is something I wish my team would understand.

Piss-poor tackling has been one of the factors in our defensive woes.

Grover
10-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Anyone besides me really happy that Jeff Legwold is back writing about this team on a regular basis? Nice article.

ApaOps5
10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
One of the biggest improvements I have seen this year is tackling. Before you would see DJ Williams go flying through the air doing the WWF off the top rope tackle technique looking for the big hit and not the end result. Many times he would miss, bounce off, or knock the guy down only after he gained those precious few yards needed.

Now the team meets the runner at the point of impact gets low wraps up and drives through the player which usually results in a text book tackle and good result.

Tned
10-03-2009, 03:15 PM

hard to understand why

It's been a problem long enough on this team that I have trouble remembering when it wasn't a problem. Maybe when Smith and Atwater were roaming the secondary.

The tackling drills, and preaching of fundamentals were the number one thing that got me excited when reading the training camp reports.

I hoped (and still do) that putting on the field the most fundamentally sound team we have seen in years, could result in some good things happening.

Bronco Warrior
10-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Two words Donatello and Nolan. Donatello is the guy who coached up Atwater and our secondary in the super bowl years. And Nolan is as OG Defensive gangster as it gets! Those two guys got together and said we need tacklers (bad tacvkling on the safety line was the biggest reason our defense gave up the big plays) Enter Brian Dawkins..Weapon X The most solid fundamentally sound Safety in the Game..and it went from there!

gobroncsnv
10-03-2009, 04:06 PM
no big deal, but it's Donatell... Again, teaching expectations is one thing, but it appears that we now have guys willing AND ABLE to carry it out, as well. I agree, Dawk is making a LARGE difference in the back. We are SOOOO much better on D, tackling is one of the major differences. Loving this, just loving this.

Tned
10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
no big deal, but it's Donatell... Again, teaching expectations is one thing, but it appears that we now have guys willing AND ABLE to carry it out, as well. I agree, Dawk is making a LARGE difference in the back. We are SOOOO much better on D, tackling is one of the major differences. Loving this, just loving this.

Some of the guys out there practicing sound tackling techniques this year, were bouncing off guys last year. No question some of the acquisitions have improved things, but clearly the teaching, scheme and coaching is also a major factor.

Bronco Warrior
10-03-2009, 04:57 PM
LOL my attention to spelling is sucking lately...I ether had a ninja turtle or an Artist on my brain...lol!

Traveler
10-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I've been complaining of our poor tackling for years. Still can't explain why Shanahan didn't address this issue.

McDaniels and Nolan get kudos for stressing basic tackling. It's probably one of the major reasons the defense has been playing so well, thus far.

I can actually say this is the first time in years I haven't yelled while watching a game because of the piss poor tackling or someone going for a kill shot and whiffing all together.

Nomad
10-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I've been complaining of our poor tackling for years. Still can't explain why Shanahan didn't address this issue.

McDaniels and Nolan get cudos for stressing basic tackling. It's probably one of the major reasons the defense has been playing so well, thus far.

I can actually say this is the first time in years I haven't yelled while watching a game because of the piss poor tackling or someone going for a kill shot and whiffing all together.

What I've noticed is these players are more concerned with stripping the ball than hitting, wrapping up and tackling! With the right form, they can cause a fumble.

Lonestar
10-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Well basic things like tackling and blocking can easily be overlooked when folks are taking short cuts to the pro Bowl.

Its a minor coaching thing to honor the fundementals.

I was also pissed at al wilson for trying to make kill shots on RBs only to stagger them and regain balance and get another 4-40 yards.

Lynch was sound in making tackles while making the solid hit.

But he was no longer wanted here and frankly it was probably time to move on.

But he was replaced with mopes that got even less coaching than they had before.

Now it is tackling 101 and they will be held accountable if they do not wrap up.

Nice that it has turned the D around so far.

Let's hope we can play at this level as the teams and players across the LOS gets better.

Sent via Blackberry by altell.

Bronco Warrior
10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
The game today will HINGE on good tackling. Dallas has feasted on two teams combined 0-6 that have shown no desire or ability to tackle. We have great tackling secondary which means no long plays! If that lardass line want's to try to grind it out against fresh Denver lineman for 4 qtrs at 5,200 feet let them! It won't work out well for them. There is a rule on Defense "Make them run one more play!" and with this teams takeaway tendanvccy and Romos tendency to force it and give the ball up..."One more Play"!