PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys' Romo could learn from Broncos QB Orton

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/100209dnsposherrington.3147d52.html

IRVING – NFL quarterbacks generally despise the term "game manager" – a euphemism for "bus driver" – in much the same way that the original Mercury astronauts objected to being called "Spam in a can." Both sets hold themselves to be captains of their ships, with all the swashbuckling that implies.

Considering the union's mindset, you figure it revoked Kyle Orton's card this week when he said his first priority as quarterback of the Denver Broncos is "to manage the football game."

The reason this comes up is because Orton has "managed" the Broncos to a surprising 3-0 record.

Meanwhile, Tony Romo, the Captain Jack Sparrow of quarterbacks, is 2-1 and only temporarily out from under siege of critics.

Romo's wild vacillations in performance – a Hall of Fame 140.6 rating in the opener, an awful 29.6 against the Giants, a competent 89.8 vs. Carolina – makes most critics wish for something a little more consistent, if not downright pedestrian.

Something, say, like the play of Orton, who has plugged along at 100.7, 83.5 and 92.1. Orton has thrown one touchdown pass in each game and been sacked just three times. The best thing you could say about him, other than the fact that he's done it while wearing a glove to protect an exposed knuckle on his right index finger, is that he hasn't thrown a single interception.

That, and he's 3-0.

Of course, it helps Orton's cause that he has a pair of inside-outside runners like rookie Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter as well as what is, statistically, anyway, the NFL's best defense. Scheduling Cincinnati, Cleveland and Oakland doesn't hurt either.

For that matter, Orton had a great defense in Chicago, too. He was 21-12 as a starter there, and still the Bears didn't want him anymore.

Chicago's GM simply didn't think he could make enough plays to win a Super Bowl. And that brings us to the great conundrum of Tony Romo.

Like Orton, Romo has a great running game. At least when healthy. He also has what's thought to be a terrific defense, although it's largely been a rumor so far.

But, unlike Orton, Romo possesses a unique skill set that, under the right circumstances, could enable him to lead a less-than-perfect team to the Super Bowl. And he likes to show it off.

In the heat of the moment, when linebackers are blitzing and corners are crashing and boulders are bearing down, you get the feeling he suddenly hears the triumphant theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Next thing you know, he's trying to take out a tank with a bullwhip and a smirk.

Sometimes the impromptu bravado pays off. And sometimes he gets tread marks on his chest.

"He makes a ton of big plays even when you make him move, and that's the scary part," Denver coach Josh McDaniels said of Romo. "You want to try to get to the pocket, and you want to try to get him to force something.

"When you make him move around, he's a good enough athlete that he makes a bunch of plays that way, too."

Or he makes mistakes that get his team beaten.

Last week against Carolina, he made none of the errors that plagued him in his JerryWorld debut. He looked like the kind of quarterback that could have driven Bill Parcells' bus any day.

"I think Tony did a great job of managing the game," Jason Witten said. "Taking what the defense gives him.

"When he does that, good things happen to us."

Deep down, Romo doesn't want to hear it. He knows he's capable of much, much more. In fact, his idea of a game manager is more along the lines of a Tom Brady.

"I'm pretty sure Brady managed the game for a couple of Super Bowls," Romo said, smiling.

A little more Brady, then, and a little less Indiana Jones.

Grover
10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Yup, I fully expect Kyle Orton to manage us to another boring win. ;) :D

FanInAZ
10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Yup, I fully expect Kyle Orton to manage us to another boring win. ;) :D

That works for me!

camdisco24
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I'll take a boring win any day! ;)

Sunday cant get here fast enough, I cant wait to see how we play. I think Orton has got it together and goes into this game with lots of confidence. If he plays smart and our running game gets moving, we'll be able to stick with the Cowboys just fine.

Bronco Warrior
10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
That's actually not too bad of an article from Cowturd land! Here's to hoping that the Glove (they never bugged me) has been the reason for Orton's mediocre play. I wanna run up the score on these fools!

Grover
10-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes, I was being a bit facetious with my "boring" comment. Orton has been efficient - good mobility out of the pocket when he needs to, has connected with some long passes, and has stayed out of trouble by throwing out of bounds or at players feet when he needs to.

We're running the ball and playing from a lead almost all the time. The game is "boring" because we don't have to play with increased risk. But "boring" is a joke in this instance.

And yes, I'm liking the wins too.

FanInAZ
10-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, I was being a bit facetious with my "boring" comment. Orton has been efficient - good mobility out of the pocket when he needs to, has connected with some long passes, and has stayed out of trouble by throwing out of bounds or at players feet when he needs to.

We're running the ball and playing from a lead almost all the time. The game is "boring" because we don't have to play with increased risk. But "boring" is a joke in this instance.

And yes, I'm liking the wins too.

I know, I know; but I believe the point that you were making is a win is a win.

Shazam!
10-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Doom is gonna **** Homo up.

MasterShake
10-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I think we could ALL learn a lot from Orton...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/Kenobi1_bucket/ortonknows.jpg

He taught me that there's always tomorrow, and a good neckbeard not only keeps out the cold but also absorbs more Old Spice when you apply it. Women like Old Spice.