PDA

View Full Version : This Week in Gameday: Oct. 4, 2009

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9424

New Colors, Same Attitude

Thirteen seasons yielded nearly 1,300 tackles. Eight playoff appearances yielded seven Pro Bowl berths. Weekly preparation yielded a Philadelphia Eagles franchise-record 183 games played. The offseason brought a new home in Denver. For some players, changing jerseys would induce changes in their style of play. Brian Dawkins is not one of them. At this point, he is who he is.

“I’ve had success doing things the way that I do them,” Dawkins said. “I’m a blessed man of God to do what I do. I do what I do because I love to play the game and I love the guys in this locker room. I love knowing that they depend on me to do specific things.”

While Dawkins has applied minimal changes to his football career on and off the field, a change of scenery has provided him with a new vision for his 14th season. Being a Bronco has provided that jolt of energy – an army of new teammates who have expectations of the leadership he can provide.

“I want to make sure that I’m able to do exactly what it is that they expect of me,” he said. “That’s being who I am on the football field and bringing everything to the table, and hopefully that will give us a chance to win every ball game.”

Before the first snap of the regular season, his version of “everything” arrived in the Broncos’ huddle. Dawkins gathered his teammates on the Paul Brown Stadium turf, ready to inject a dose of his energy.

“Respect is not given, it is earned, doggone it!” he bellowed to his teammates. Correll Buckhalter is no stranger to that type of motivation. From his eight seasons playing with Dawkins in Philadelphia, he anticipated what was coming.

“I don’t think they were quite ready for it,” Buckhalter said. “For guys to see someone who approaches the game the way he approaches it, I think it just makes your team better.”

Having played two games as the opposing quarterback against Dawkins, Kyle Orton remembers the other side of that approach. He prefers being on the same side now.

“I have never seen anything like it before to be honest with you,” he said. “I am glad I am not playing against him anymore.”

Sitting Down With: Peyton Hillis

Peyton Hillis is a second-year running back who averaged 5.0 yards per carry and tied for the Broncos’ team lead with six touchdowns in 12 games as a rookie in 2008. He started three games at running back and three games at fullback, becoming one of only two players in Broncos history with a 100-yard rushing and a 100-yard receiving game in the same season along the way. With his second season in full swing, the Arkansas native talks about the difference in his comfort level on the field, his memories of his rookie season, surviving a coaching change and resurrecting the Mile High Salute.

How different is your second year from your rookie campaign?
“There’s definitely a lot more comfort in terms of knowing the playbook and knowing what to expect. But every year brings its challenges – how much playing time you’re going to get, new head coach, new regime coming in, you’ve got to know what your role is. That’s kind of tough.”

Does the speed of the game feel slower?
“I don’t know if it’s slower, but definitely more comfortable and I know what to do. So I guess that kind of slows the game down a little bit. But this is a great game, it’s a very fast game, and I’m just glad to be a part of it.”

Wh at was your first “Welcome to the NFL” moment?
“When I had 116 yards receiving against Miami last year, it was just a great feeling, like I belong here, like I’m good enough to play. That was the most overwhelming thing most of all.”

Lonestar
10-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Many folks whined about the players Josh brought in.

Dawkins washed up to slow to play the game. Bucky nothing but a backup. Leaches replacement. Fields as NT to small and a career failure even as abackup.

To name a few and so far I've been impressed with the TEAM that Josh has put together including the quality coaching staff he has brought together.

Now I don't think we are playoff bound this year. But it gives me hope for 2010 and many years to come.

Sent via Blackberry by alltel.