PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Winborn gets a new contract

Retired_Member_001
12-13-2007, 07:22 AM
In the past five days, the Broncos have rewarded two of their most pleasant surprises this year.

Last weekend, it was Brandon Stokley, whose ability to help step in as a starting wide receiver after spending most of his career as a No. 3 slot wideout helped him earn a three-year extension. Wednesday, it was linebacker Jamie Winborn, who signed a two-year contract extension just two months after joining the team three months and a day ago, after the regular-season opener at Buffalo.

Winborn is the Broncos’ leader in special-teams tackles this year, with 10 total stops — nine solo and one assist. He’s also added five solo stops, an assist and a pass breakup in limited action on defense.

The Broncos are Winborn’s fourth career stop after three-plus seasons with San Francisco, one with Jacksonville and another with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But thanks to his emergence on kickoff and punt coverage, he’ll have the chance to stay awhile.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/12/12/two-year-extension-for-winborn/

Since there is not a thread on this I thought I would make one.

Great move in my opinion. Winborn chases down players very well, I wouldn't mind seeing him take over Webster's position for a few plays to see if he is any good.

BigBroncLove
12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
This signing makes me very happy. From the first game he played with the Broncos on ST he showed himself to be a solid plaer. His addition as a ST player made an immediate impact. Winborn has been key in this aera and is worth holding onto in this capacity alone. However his play at LB last week at the end of the game was excellent. Then again, he was playign a demoralized KC offense which struggled all day but none the less he made soem important plays. It will be interesting to see how he plays out, bt depending if they move DJ back to WILL next season as it has been suggested in a few places here and there, Winborn could be a solid contender for the SAM spot when they try and re-instate Bates old scheme depending on the draft IMO.

None the less, given his ST contribution he should be with this team for a while where players like him are desperately needed for the Broncos.

Lonestar
12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/12/12/two-year-extension-for-winborn/

Since there is not a thread on this I thought I would make one.

Great move in my opinion. Winborn chases down players very well, I wouldn't mind seeing him take over Webster's position for a few plays to see if he is any good.

I think the guy that got hurt early in TC will take over for webster.. But you can never have to many good LB's

BigBroncLove
12-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I think the guy that got hurt early in TC will take over for webster.. But you can never have to many good LB's

Warrick Holdmans injury was a big setback. I hope he can return because he was the leading candidate to take the SAM position this year through TC. However given the nature of his injury (spnal cord contusion) I wonder how he will return. He was only limited from physical activity for three months though (in August) so if he has been conssitent in his training since then he could return with a vengance.

Lonestar
12-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Warrick Holdmans injury was a big setback. I hope he can return because he was the leading candidate to take the SAM position this year through TC. However given the nature of his injury (spnal cord contusion) I wonder how he will return. He was only limited from physical activity for three months though (in August) so if he has been conssitent in his training since then he could return with a vengance.

I had forgotten his name and did not realize the nature of the injury.. Those are tough ones.. I hope he does come back and is able to play..

From what I had seen about him he was a great prospect for SAM..

SR
12-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Winborn is playing for Ian Gold today...I guess Gold got hurt on the first defensive set and is standing on the sideline with his pants rolled up and an ice pack on hisknee.

rcsodak
12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Winborn is playing for Ian Gold today...I guess Gold got hurt on the first defensive set and is standing on the sideline with his pants rolled up and an ice pack on hisknee.

I like winborn's hustle. Seemed he was always in on plays, and was chasing down players. I especially like the closing speed when rosenfels rolled out down near the endzone. Gold would have tripped.

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I like winborn's hustle. Seemed he was always in on plays, and was chasing down players. I especially like the closing speed when rosenfels rolled out down near the endzone. Gold would have tripped.

certainly had closing speed not sure how good he is at tackling but the dude has speed..

He was also covering on a punt and got turned around by the KR guy. For a moment I said he is gone, from almost nowhere this kid kicked in gear and tackled him from behind..

If for no other reason than ST this kids a keeper..gold should have been set down this year, for the money he makes he should be leading the team in tackles..

There was also one DJ moment where he decleated the RB with a solid shoulder hit..