View Full Version : Walker goes full speed

SR
12-13-2007, 02:13 AM
This is certainly good news.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7696968

Walker goes full speed
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/11/2007 11:26:29 PM MST

Javon Walker, who has seen his share of games from the sideline, says he's ready to play. (Hyoung Chang, Denver Post file photo)As the Broncos cram their preparations for the Texans into a short week, receiver Javon Walker went full speed at practice Tuesday, and Brandon Stokley sat out.

The team expects Walker to be available Thursday at Houston, but today will be key for Stokley. Both are dealing with knee injuries. Sunday, against Kansas City, Stokley played after practicing only on Friday. Walker did not play.

"I think I'm playing," Walker said. "It's the coach's decision, but I think I'll be out here and ready to go."

Safety Nick Ferguson (knee) sat out Tuesday and appears questionable. He likely will be able to play Dec. 24 at San Diego.

Houston running back Ron Dayne (ankle), linebacker DeMeco Ryans (ankle) and quarterback Matt Schaub (shoulder) didn't practice. Quarterback Sage Rosenfels likely will start and Dayne could be replaced by Darius Walker.

fcspikeit
12-13-2007, 03:23 AM
This is certainly good news.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7696968

Walker goes full speed
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/11/2007 11:26:29 PM MST

Javon Walker, who has seen his share of games from the sideline, says he's ready to play. (Hyoung Chang, Denver Post file photo)As the Broncos cram their preparations for the Texans into a short week, receiver Javon Walker went full speed at practice Tuesday, and Brandon Stokley sat out.

The team expects Walker to be available Thursday at Houston, but today will be key for Stokley. Both are dealing with knee injuries. Sunday, against Kansas City, Stokley played after practicing only on Friday. Walker did not play.

"I think I'm playing," Walker said. "It's the coach's decision, but I think I'll be out here and ready to go."

Safety Nick Ferguson (knee) sat out Tuesday and appears questionable. He likely will be able to play Dec. 24 at San Diego.

Houston running back Ron Dayne (ankle), linebacker DeMeco Ryans (ankle) and quarterback Matt Schaub (shoulder) didn't practice. Quarterback Sage Rosenfels likely will start and Dayne could be replaced by Darius Walker.

This is good news! IMO he needs to finish the year strong. He has to show he can stay healthy. It doesn't matter how good he is on the field if he is always sitting on the bench.

omac
12-13-2007, 04:16 AM
I'm not so sure it if playing him would be good for the team; a lot of what receivers do is based on timing and communication. I wouldn't mind him going in for a few plays, but definitely not starting.

Retired_Member_001
12-13-2007, 05:36 AM
I'm not so sure it if playing him would be good for the team; a lot of what receivers do is based on timing and communication. I wouldn't mind him going in for a few plays, but definitely not starting.

Why wouldn't you want a top 10 WR starting, ESPECIALLY when Stokely could be out?

Are you saying Walker doesn't have good timing and communication?

I'm just interested.

omac
12-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Why wouldn't you want a top 10 WR starting, ESPECIALLY when Stokely could be out?

Are you saying Walker doesn't have good timing and communication?

I'm just interested.

I'm thinking the long layoff could hurt his timing, as well as his conditioning. We saw how sluggish Travis Henry was, and he wasn't out for that long. If they do play Walker a lot in light of Stokley's injuries, they should play him as the #2, not the #1. Right now, I'm more comfortable with Denver throwing to Scheffler or Graham instead.

SR
12-13-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm thinking the long layoff could hurt his timing, as well as his conditioning. We saw how sluggish Travis Henry was, and he wasn't out for that long. If they do play Walker a lot in light of Stokley's injuries, they should play him as the #2, not the #1. Right now, I'm more comfortable with Denver throwing to Scheffler or Graham instead.

Brandon Marshall is our #1 reciever.

Retired_Member_001
12-13-2007, 06:19 AM

Ok fair enough.

I think Walker needs to be eased into the role. I still think that Marshall and Scheffler should be Cutler's main targets but Cutler has shown alot of confidence passing to Walker so having Walker out there and easing him into the secondary receiver role would be best.

Lonestar
12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I hope they work him hard in these last three games to see if the knee acts up again that would give us an idea whether he needs to be replaced or not this of season..

underrated29
12-13-2007, 11:35 AM
why does everyonethink we will replace him. We are not letting walker go at all. The only scenario is if we can pull of some miraculous trade with the redskins for like santana moss and laron landry for walker.

He is staying here, he will be healthy next year, and he is better than 90% of the wr in the nfl. Right now brandon is our definite number 1. Next year though walker will be. It will also be better for brandon as he should have less defenders around him, making it easy for him to RAC.

We dont want to push walker to hard. yes we want him back this year, but come on, the season is over. Do we really want to make him give it his all only to see the problem worsen.

Its said he will probably need another surgery this year to clean out some. Lets let the swelling and fluids subside for now, so when the go in to clean and drain there will be less to remove and make his recovery that much faster.

I really hate how if a player doesnt play for a while everyone thinks that he will be gone or is made of porceline etc. etc. Look at AP, or henry, everyone said Adrian was porcelien and will never be an nfl back. NOw what? he still got hurt and he still is the leading rusher. Everyone was/is down on henry, he not as good as young hall etc. Just let them get back. There is a reason they were starters for their careers.

omac
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I hope he is fully healthy next season. Imagine, Walker, Marshall, Stokley, Scheffler, and Graham. Then Henry and Young are pretty good receiving RB's too. If our offensive line can give consistent pass protection, without Cutler having to get out of the pocket, we can spread the offense like NE. Can't do that now, though, or Cutler will get pounded.

Lonestar
12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I think he might be gone for one of two reasons One is salry cap issues for te amount of production he whas this year or might get next year..

When we got him he was slated to BE #1 now the need is not so great with mArshall and since walker tends to be somewhat MEish, and there are rumors about him being high maintainace. Mikey may just find another team for him to play with next year..

Folks there are just so many plays a game. Unless we give up on the run can we really keep all of the WR's, RB's and TE's we have happy getting 350-400 yards per game in the air?

underrated29
12-13-2007, 01:16 PM
WE KEPT THEM ALL HAppy last year. We are keeping everyone who is healthy (like 3 players) happy this year. Next year will be the same. You figure, about 20 toughes for travis, and 10 or so for young/hall. nothing different there. Then instead of stokley getting like 7-8 cathes its javon. Brandon will see the same, maybe a few more. Thats another 14-16 cathes. Lets say 4 for each TE thats 8 more. SO now we are at a total of 14-24 pass plays. OR a grand total of 34-44 plays. Figure in about another 10 drop/miss passes and we are at 44-54 plays. Isnt the average around 65??? Not sure about that, but think back to when we had td running it 25+ and ed,rod,shannon all we getting balls and 2 of them went for 1k+yards.

We will have plenty of balls to go around. And if the d improves as we all hope/think it will. Then there should be that much more opportunity for us to spread the ball around as we will have more opportunities due to 3 and outs and such. Also the other team will not be able to sustain l-o-n-g drives and chew up the clock. (if the d improves).

I think our guys are team players. Javon wants to win, Brandon wants to win, Rod wants it,brandon, our rbs and of course jay. They will do what it takes or no do (by getting balls) to make it to the big dance.

omac
12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
While I'd want to keep all of them here, the team could probably get a very good value for Javon, Hall, or Young. We could use some quality defensive players in exchange. Tennessee, Chicago, San Diego, and Baltimore come to mind when I think of lack of quality receivers. Those teams have some pretty good defensive players. Chicago desperately needs an effective, reliable runningback. Our number 2 and 3 RBs outperform all of their RBs. Houston could probably use a good RB. Besides having good defensive players, they have some excellent returners. The Giants could use another good wide receiver, with Toomer getting old, and Plaxico having injuries. That's another team that drops the ball a lot. Carolina needs a dependable receiver to take the heat off of Steve Smith.

Right now, while the value of Walker and Young/Hall is pretty high, we could plug up some of the weak possitions in our team.

BigBroncLove
12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Its a shame what happened to Walker but nothing about his injury makes me think it will be a chronic issue for Walker. IT happened in his previously injured knee, but what hasb een released about his injury generally says that the injry has not inflamed his previous torn ligament. I personally doubt any trade will take place with Walker. He has a massive contract and a lot of the trades and cuts we made this year will be accelerating next year to provide even les cpa space. To boot, the Broncos need to resign their best players to new contract who will be up at the end of 08 (Marshall, Dumerville, and a few others....). Like the 05-06 offseason where we saw little to no activity outside of the draft with the Broncos (because they were resigning the players they wanted to hold on to) I think this offseason will be very similar outside of draft dya (though ya never know with shanny).

Walker was an excellent player last year and before the injury it was well accepted through TC and pre-season that Walker and Cutler had the best timing of all the WR's. I don't think it will take to long for Walker to hit that stride again, so long as he returns to full speed. HE has a good understanding of the playbook now, and once he finds his rythm again I think he will prove himself well worth the wait.

I don't feel this weeks game will be a real teller, but the game against SD will. ITs a very short work week, and Walekr won't have that much tiem to find his groove if he is at full speed. But the 10 day break between games going into SD will be a great time for him to re-establish himself with Cutler in practice and get that repoir back. I just wish we could field all of our best WR's (Walker, MArshall, and Stokley) for a game this year. I think we may have to wait till week 17 for that, but that's when we will see the true potential of the WR core here in Denver which IMO is the best we've had since the SB years.

BroncoAV06
12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
More Walker News:

WR eager to return next season, but without a pay cut
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/12/2007 11:56:05 PM MST

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who has been inactive for eight of 13 games because of a knee injury, said Wednesday he is looking forward to returning to the team next year — but he doesn't want to take a pay cut despite his struggles.

Walker, 29, is scheduled to make $7.6 million next season, with a $5.4 million option bonus coming due. If Walker's knee continues to be a concern, the Broncos could attempt to restructure his contract or could save $4.4 million in bonus money if they were to cut him before next season.

"My big deal didn't kick in until this year," Walker said. "I went into the season got injured, and couldn't play as many games and couldn't perform at the level I'm capable of, and then at the end of the year, you ask me to take a pay cut, right when it just kicked in?
"It's not like I was into the deal three, four years, and I'm getting ready to hit a base salary. I haven't been a full year into this deal (since) March.

"I'm looking at it as, I feel like I still have my best years to come."

Walker said he hopes to be a part of an explosive receiving corps, playing alongside Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley.

"You get an offense where you're spreading the ball between Stokley and Marshall and myself, it's potent," Walker said. "Nobody can stop us. Obviously, we know what we have to work towards when we get to '08, and that's just exciting. I'm just looking forward to just getting back to full speed, because I know what I can do when I'm 100 percent."

Walker would like reestablish his value at the end of this season, but says he still will not be 100 percent healthy until the offseason. He is questionable for tonight's game at Houston, but said he expects to play after practicing Tuesday and Wednesday.

"I might not be 100 percent, but I'm confident knowing that I can beat anybody," Walker said. "When the adrenaline is rushing and it's game day, I can still beat any corners out there."

BigBroncLove
12-13-2007, 04:53 PM
More Walker News:

Interesting read AV

Lonestar
12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
WE KEPT THEM ALL HAppy last year. We are keeping everyone who is healthy (like 3 players) happy this year. Next year will be the same. You figure, about 20 toughes for travis, and 10 or so for young/hall. nothing different there. Then instead of stokley getting like 7-8 cathes its javon. Brandon will see the same, maybe a few more. Thats another 14-16 cathes. Lets say 4 for each TE thats 8 more. SO now we are at a total of 14-24 pass plays. OR a grand total of 34-44 plays. Figure in about another 10 drop/miss passes and we are at 44-54 plays. Isnt the average around 65??? Not sure about that, but think back to when we had td running it 25+ and ed,rod,shannon all we getting balls and 2 of them went for 1k+yards.
We will have plenty of balls to go around. And if the d improves as we all hope/think it will. Then there should be that much more opportunity for us to spread the ball around as we will have more opportunities due to 3 and outs and such. Also the other team will not be able to sustain l-o-n-g drives and chew up the clock. (if the d improves).

I think our guys are team players. Javon wants to win, Brandon wants to win, Rod wants it,brandon, our rbs and of course jay. They will do what it takes or no do (by getting balls) to make it to the big dance.

I do not think that ed and rod went for 1k during the Superbowl years.. SEEMS to me it was when TD was hurt. I could be wrong here..

Neither of them are Javon or Brandon personality wise.. both mature seasoned vets that went out and did there job quietly and effectively. That was another era

I do not think that either Javon, Marshall, Scheffler and for that matter graham are gonna are happy with less looks that they are getting when one or the other were out with injury..

I also suspect that one or more of the them have performance incentives in those contracts.

underrated29
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I do not think that ed and rod went for 1k during the Superbowl years.. SEEMS to me it was when TD was hurt. I could be wrong here..

Neither of them are Javon or Brandon personality wise.. both mature seasoned vets that went out and did there job quietly and effectively. That was another era

I do not think that either Javon, Marshall, Scheffler and for that matter graham are gonna are happy with less looks that they are getting when one or the other were out with injury..

I also suspect that one or more of the them have performance incentives in those contracts.

you might be right about the super bowl years..not sure.

But everyone is happier when you are winning. Look at moss, or TO, those guys are now thrilled that they are winning and imo could care less if they didnt even get a catch in a game, as long as they get the w.

Even then with the incentives, our guys could make it. Graham doesnt just want to be a blocker, but he also knows he is a TE. Te's dont normally see the ball as much. Same with the scheff. yeah they want them, and they need to get some, but they know that here in denver they block first and catch second.

Walker knows this, and i gotta say i love his attitude about his injury/confidence. Even when i am not 100% i can beat any corner out there. THats what we need. I Think people forget actually how good this guy is. Imo he is a better wr then marshall. (this is in terms of speed, hands, routes.) Marshall has good hands and excellent strength and power. But javon will catch anything and everything, jump balls,tips,dives,one handers, all with the defender in his face. Marshall usually doesnt have one in his face. which is awesome because he blocks the cb out, but people memories might be jogged a little when they remember that javon will time and time again split the seam or run a 75 yard go and make the great catch.

We all have seen the natorius marshall reverse throw, that actually never happens because no one is open or the defender is there. When javon is inthe game we can run the same play and one of them (non thrower) will be wide open.

Walker is the man. And he will speak his mind if he isnt seeing balls, but if we are winning he will keep it to whisper.

Stargazer
12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
and for that matter graham are gonna are happy with less looks that they are getting when one or the other were out with injury..

Graham should never enter the equation. He blocks, and gets paid a TON of money to do it. Sure, he would like more balls thrown his way. Not going to happen.

Stargazer
12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I do not think that either Javon, Marshall, Scheffler

Javon is making a ton of dough and he never sees the field. Marshall is young and up and coming. Same with Schef. Stokes signed a contract extension. Never did hear him complain about not enough balls in Indy. Your theory of not enough balls doesn't make any sense. Seemed to work fine in Indy with Stokes, Harrison, Wayne, Edge, and Payton. The only person who complained was Edge because he didn't want to be taken out of games when the Colts were blowing teams out because of the incentives. This team is nowhere near the caliber of Indy back then, and there are PLENTY of opportunities to be had with just one football. And so I totally disagree with your logic of not enough balls, why we draft Cutler, etc in regards to Mcfadden. Who the Broncos unfortunately will not have the opportunity to draft.

Selvin Young/Travis Henry<Mcfadden

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Did anyone else catch the comment last night about Walker getting a 7.5 mil roster bonus this coming off season?

If that is correct I say adiós to him I just do not think he is worth the coin unless I know for sure his knee is completely right..

Unless he wants to rewrite his contract contingent on productivity next year..

SR
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Jr, Rod and McCaffery both caught for 1k in 1998 I believe, the year we beat ATL in the SB. It may have been the year after. Not sure.

SR
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Selvin Young/Travis Henry<Mcfadden

We're not going to draft McFadden, so you can quit dreaming already. Sheesh.

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Jr, Rod and McCaffery both caught for 1k in 1998 I believe, the year we beat ATL in the SB. It may have been the year after. Not sure.

Seems to me it was after because TD went down and we had no running game..

Nomad
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I hope they work him hard in these last three games to see if the knee acts up again that would give us an idea whether he needs to be replaced or not this of season..

Excellent! That's exactly what I'd do! I know the coaches "should" know what kind of talent they already have and don't have but these next two games would be ideal to re-evaluate going into the offseason. I do hope Javon is back to 100% by next season.

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Excellent! That's exactly what I'd do! I know the coaches "should" know what kind of talent they already have and don't have but these next two games would be ideal to re-evaluate going into the offseason. I do hope Javon is back to 100% by next season.

I do not think he will be back not with a $7.5 mil roster bonus next srpring coming due.. Unless they know for sure what they have..

Watchthemiddle
12-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I do not think he will be back not with a $7.5 mil roster bonus next srpring coming due.. Unless they know for sure what they have..

Well, they better get another stud from somewhere then. Marshall and Stokley are good, but to have a true deep threat will be needed.

Nomad
12-14-2007, 02:36 PM

I heard they asked Henry and Walker to restructure their contracts and Henry's willing but Walker flat out refuses! Denver is supposedly able to opt out both of their contracts. I'm not a contract guru by any means so if someone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated. And the BRONCOS may just let both go.:noidea:

SR
12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I heard they asked Henry and Walker to restructure their contracts and Henry's willing but Walker flat out refuses! Denver is supposedly able to opt out both of their contracts. I'm not a contract guru by any means so if someone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated. And the BRONCOS may just let both go.:noidea:

I dunno...if Walker's knee is ok and we find out in the offseason that he'll be 100% recovered, I say pay him the damn bonus and hang on to him. Cut THC loose and let Selvin take over.

Broncos Mtnman
12-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Actually, it was during the SB years. It was 1998....

Rod Smith - 86 receptions / 1222 yards / 6 TDs

Eddie Mac - 64 receptions / 1053 yards / 10 TDs

Requiem / The Dagda
12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
I had a long post but aciddentally closed the browser. In short:

Klis reports we save 4.4 million dollars if we cut Walker. I'd love to have Walker on the team, because can you imagine what he and Marshall could do to defenses? However, he's not worth it when he's not healthy, and his attitude about not re-structuring is really bothersome. This is Green Bay all over again. I've always liked Walker, but he's always sort of had that "me" mentality. If he's not willing to help the team out to prove he wants to be on the team, then why have a malcontent in the locker room? He has been my favorite player since his FSU days, and since he came into the NFL - but he has no place on a roster when he's due 7.5 million dollars in bonus money next season, but hasn't been able to prove he's healthy enough to deserve it. If push comes to shove, get rid of him - sign an average veteran that Cutler can make look better and draft someone in the top four rounds. Hell, there will be good options in the draft in round four. Do it.

If Denver cannot get Walker, Henry, Lepsis and any other veteran not living up their contract to restructure, cut them. Denver needs that money to be able and extend our younger players whose contracts will be up in a year or so. If those players want to restructure and take a pay cut - good, keep them. If not, they're not worth our time or effort.

Marshall, Dumervil and Scheffler need to be priorities on this team. You keep them together. We have 17 million dollars this off-season as of right now to attempt and extend their contracts. If they're willing do it. If not, that's fine - but at least try to make these players secure.

Denver has better things to do than waste their time with over the hill veterans with high price tags.

Start fresh, start new.

Mike
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Klis reports we save 4.4 million dollars if we cut Walker. I'd love to have Walker on the team, because can you imagine what he and Marshall could do to defenses? However, he's not worth it when he's not healthy, and his attitude about not re-structuring is really bothersome. This is Green Bay all over again. I've always liked Walker, but he's always sort of had that "me" mentality. If he's not willing to help the team out to prove he wants to be on the team, then why have a malcontent in the locker room? He has been my favorite player since his FSU days, and since he came into the NFL - but he has no place on a roster when he's due 7.5 million dollars in bonus money next season, but hasn't been able to prove he's healthy enough to deserve it. If push comes to shove, get rid of him - sign an average veteran that Cutler can make look better and draft someone in the top four rounds. Hell, there will be good options in the draft in round four. Do it.

If Denver cannot get Walker, Henry, Lepsis and any other veteran not living up their contract to restructure, cut them. Denver needs that money to be able and extend our younger players whose contracts will be up in a year or so. If those players want to restructure and take a pay cut - good, keep them. If not, they're not worth our time or effort

Marshall, Dumervil and Scheffler need to be priorities on this team. You keep them together. We have 17 million dollars this off-season as of right now to attempt and extend their contracts. If they're willing do it. If not, that's fine - but at least try to make these players secure.

Denver has better things to do than waste their time with over the hill veterans with high price tags.

Start fresh, start new.

Hopefully the front office looks at it like you do. :salute:

Nomad
12-14-2007, 03:32 PM

If Denver cannot get Walker, Henry, Lepsis and any other veteran not living up their contract to restructure, cut them. Denver needs that money to be able and extend our younger players whose contracts will be up in a year or so. If those players want to restructure and take a pay cut - good, keep them. If not, they're not worth our time or effort

Start fresh, start new.

Good stuff! Like LDB, maybe you can forward this to HQ at Dove Valley!

Lonestar
12-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Where did you hear that I'd not heard anything like that and in fact when I heard the 7.5 mil thing on the broadcast it hit home that he is as good as gone..

I suspect he knows that with Marshall, Stokely, Scheffler and now Graham, he most likely will not be king Crap anymore.. This team has sucked at WR except Rod since Eddie Mac went down.. When he got here he was loved as the best thing since sliced bread, now he is almost #3 or 4 on the receiving list .. Does not do an ego good..

Watchthemiddle
12-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Where did you hear that I'd not heard anything like that and in fact when I heard the 7.5 mil thing on the broadcast it hit home that he is as good as gone..

I suspect he knows that with Marshall, Stokely, Scheffler and now Graham, he most likely will not be king Crap anymore.. This team has sucked at WR except Rod since Eddie Mac went down.. When he got here he was loved as the best thing since sliced bread, now he is almost #3 or 4 on the receiving list .. Does not do an ego good..

I wouldn't say its because of a lack of talent on Walker's part or an ego. He has been a good stand up guy since coming here and had a horrific circumstance hit him in the offseason.

I believe had it not been for his injury this year, he would be back next year.

Tned
12-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Maybe during the broadcast, maybe a news article, but I heard that Walker wasn't interested in restructuring, and that he felt his best years were ahead of him.

TXBRONC
12-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Walker at 100% is a bonafide starter.

Lonestar
12-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Maybe during the broadcast, maybe a news article, but I heard that Walker wasn't interested in restructuring, and that he felt his best years were ahead of him.

thanks for the info I have been watching,looking and listening but had not heard anything till last night about his future.
I do remember a comment made about him being high maintenance. But beyond that NADA..

SR
12-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Actually, it was during the SB years. It was 1998....

Rod Smith - 86 receptions / 1222 yards / 6 TDs

Eddie Mac - 64 receptions / 1053 yards / 10 TDs

That's what I figured.

SR
12-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Walker at 100% is a bonafide starter.

Walker at 100% is a top 15 reciever in the league IMO.

I understand what Dream is saying and I pretty much agree with it all, but I still think we should do what we can to keep him. If he becomes a shite and decides he won't restructure his contract, cut him loose.

But I say we need to get rid of THC. I don't like what I see with him anymore (despite how good he looked for the first month) and after watching Selvin for the past two weeks I think there may be something there.

The offseason is going to be interesting.

Stargazer
12-15-2007, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Walker was cut. And I wouldn't be shocked if the Broncos draft a WR within the first 3 rounds of the '08 draft.

Stargazer
12-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Marshall, Dumervil and Scheffler need to be priorities on this team. You keep them together. We have 17 million dollars this off-season as of right now to attempt and extend their contracts. If they're willing do it. If not, that's fine - but at least try to make these players secure.[/LIST]

Their contracts SHOULD not be extended this offseason. They're playing for peanuts. And that's a good thing people. There's no need to rush these young players with an extension right now. They need to show more.

SR
12-15-2007, 02:27 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Walker was cut. And I wouldn't be shocked if the Broncos draft a WR within the first 3 rounds of the '08 draft.

I would be pissed if we drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds. We need a safety, a Will, and a worthy offensive tackle before we think about a WR.

Stargazer
12-15-2007, 02:39 AM
I would be pissed if we drafted a WR in the first 3 rounds. We need a safety, a Will, and a worthy offensive tackle before we think about a WR.

I didn't say if it would make sense. But, if Walker is a potential cut it is a definite possibility a draft pick will be used on a WR.

I will say this. Just because a WR is drafted in the first three rounds doesn't mean other positions will not be addressed. Denver can draft a RB or WR in the 1st round. But, remember people it's the NFL draft. There is more than one selection involved. Marshall arrived via the 4th round. Same as Elvis. Selvin Young UDFA. Just don't look at the 1st round pick and whom was selected.

BroncoAV06
12-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Whole artical is posted at the bottome of page one of this thread:

WR eager to return next season, but without a pay cut
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/12/2007 11:56:05 PM MST

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who has been inactive for eight of 13 games because of a knee injury, said Wednesday he is looking forward to returning to the team next year — but he doesn't want to take a pay cut despite his struggles.

Broncos Mtnman
12-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Their contracts SHOULD not be extended this offseason. They're playing for peanuts. And that's a good thing people. There's no need to rush these young players with an extension right now. They need to show more.

I don't think I agree with this.

If you wait until next year, they become restricted free agents. Another team could make an offer on any of them (and Marshall would definitely get one) and the Broncos would be forced to match it or lose them.

If you give them the extension now, you control the terms instead of another team.

Lonestar
12-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't think I agree with this.

If you wait until next year, they become restricted free agents. Another team could make an offer on any of them (and Marshall would definitely get one) and the Broncos would be forced to match it or lose them.

If you give them the extension now, you control the terms instead of another team.

I think Marshall is good for 2 more years..
Marshall, Brandon
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

WR (#)
Year: 2006

Denver Broncos
Round: 4

Highlands Ranch, CO
Position: 22

Salary History

2006 275000.00