PDA

View Full Version : Staying Fresh/Denver Slant on Season -- MERGED

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9422

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When it comes to closing out games, the Broncos have shown they have what it takes to keep their foot down for 60 minutes.

Whether it's Brandon Stokley's "Immaculate Deflection" in Week 1, Elvis Dumervil's three sacks in the fourth quarter in Week 2 or the squad rushing for 251 yards combined in the second half of Weeks 2 and 3, Denver shows no signs of slowing down as the game wears on.

One of seven undefeated teams in the league, the Broncos' ability to keep the pedal to the medal in the second half quarter certainly isn't hurt by the fact that they have the depth to rotate a handful of players at several positions.

The two biggest spots -- running back and defensive line.

In the backfield, the Broncos have a group of players who can get the job done. Case in point, Correll Buckhalter was nominated for the FedEx Ground Player of the Week and Knowshon Moreno was nominated for the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week after the same game -- Buckhalter had 108 yards rushing on 7.7 yards per carry and Moreno had 90 yards on the ground and his first career touchdown in Week 3.

"It allows us to wear defenses down," Buckhalter said of splitting repetitions.

The club has divided the carries throughout the backfield. Heading into Week 4, Moreno has 46 carries and a touchdown, Buckhalter has 31 carries and a touchdown and LaMont Jordan has 15 carries. Peyton Hillis has four carries, typically with the team near the goal line, and has one touchdown.

"We like to have a fresh back -- there is no reason for us to not have that during the course of a game," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Last couple of games, LaMont has really carried all of the four-minute carries at the end of the game when you can put in a big, fresh back and try to wear them down even more. Peyton has been our goal-line and short-yardage guy. We use them all."

And it's not just the running backs that have a rotation, it's other positions from the linebacker corps to the defensive line. Vonnie Holliday said rotating six defensive linemen -- like the team did last week in Oakland -- forces the opposing offensive line to have to prepare for several players as opposed to just one.

"It helps you kind of wear them down as a tag team," he said. "In the fourth quarter when you really need that push and you need to get after them, you can. I think that was evident this past Sunday with Oakland. Those guys did a great job early in the game, and late in the game when we needed to get some fresh bodies in there and get after (JaMarcus) Russell, we were able to."

McDaniels said he and the coaching staff never hesitate to rotate in players throughout the game. He said that against Oakland, at times the team even substituted all three linemen at once, as well as putting in one new guy at a time.

"We've got to keep the guys fresh, that's the key," defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely said during training camp. "And it's up to me to make sure through the course of a game when I know a guy's tired, I've got to put a fresh body in."

With the defensive line maybe even more so than the running backs, the way the game is going helps dictate the rotation, whether it's the opposing offense putting together a long drive, the weather or any number of reasons.

"I think defensive line isn't a position where you expect to play 75 plays a game," McDaniels said. "There are a lot of things that go on in there. There is a lot of pounding that takes place. Depending on how hot the day is -- and last week was the hottest that we have played in, really -- we might need to sub in a lot of guys."

And the players don't mind the rotation, especially when it leads to wins.

"It's a really long season," Moreno said. "We're going to try to stay healthy and keep it moving."

FORCING MISTAKES

So far, the Broncos defense has forced eight takeaways -- five interceptions and three fumble recoveries through three games. That has helped lead to a plus-six turnover margin, good for tops in the AFC and second in the league.

"The funny thing is, once you get one, you get another," Champ Bailey said of the turnovers. "They come in bunches. I think if you just work hard to get them, just try to be in the right place at the right time, things will happen your way. The turnovers will happen."

This week, the Broncos will face a Cowboys team that has a minus-one turnover margin due to four giveaways -- a fumble by Felix Jones and three interceptions by Tony Romo.

Romo's interceptions show that he is succeptible to some mistakes, but Andra Davis said that doesn't mean he's not a talented quarterback.

"We got a stat on him today that he's got a real high winning percentage on the road, so he's a very good quarterback," he said.

Romo has a 15-5 record in road games since becoming a starter in 2006, part of an overall record of 29-13. Part of that ability to win on the road comes from the signal caller's confidence in his abilities.

"He's a guy, he trusts his arm," Bailey said. "He trusts his receivers. With a confidence like that, he's going to try to make every throw he can. I would too. If I could throw it like that, I'd be trusting my arm, too."

So does the Broncos defense, who has already intercepted five passes, expect Romo to sling the ball across the field?

"I'm just hoping I'll be there to catch it," Bailey said.

INJURY REPORT

There were three changes on the injury report for the Broncos. Ryan Harris (shoulder) and Hillis (head) practiced on Thursday with limited participation after not participating in Wednesday's session. Kenny McKinley (illness), who was not listed on the injury report on Wednesday, did not participate in Thursday's practice.

The Cowboys had two changes on their injury report. RB Marion Barber (thigh) had full participation in Thursday's practice after not participating on Wednesday. T Flozell Adams (shoulder), who had full participation on Wednesday, did not participate on Thursday.

QUOTABLE:

"Pleased? We are excited about the proposition of going forward from where we are right now. Pleased? I don't know if you want to say pleased. You may want to hang your hat on pleased. I don't want to hang my hat on nothing right now."
-Brian Dawkins, on the play of the defense

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 06:44 PM
However, it does suck to own any Broncos in fantasy football. Damn you McDaniels.

anton...
10-01-2009, 07:25 PM
i love freshness!

T.K.O.
10-01-2009, 07:35 PM
i love freshness!

they should call us "the denver mentos !" were THAT fresh !:D

Bronco Warrior
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Just watched an analysis of how we destroyed Oakland's O-line on defense! It's more pathetic in slow mo...lol!

Superchop 7
10-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Nolan has a reputation as one of the best at turnovers.

frenchfan
10-02-2009, 12:53 AM
<sarcasm on>
Damn... Finally it seems our coaches are smart !!! :eek: :laugh:
<sarcasm off>

It's great to keep our players fresh...
Being good in 2nd half means also that we are well prepared ;)
Kudos to McD & his staff...

As usual, thanks for the read Carol ! ( I guess this deserves some bisous... :kiss: )

EastCoastBronco
10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Good article. I was surprised to see that Moreno has more touches than Buckhalter. Watching the games it doesn't seem that way.

gobroncsnv
10-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Last year's group we didn't even have ONE decent unit. Dooms is the only one who came even CLOSE to standing out, and now he's a 'backer. We've done a lot of the rotation thing, especially on dline, over the past years, but been a while since we've had this kind of quality. And on the line, I don't think we have any STARS yet, but they play much better as a unit, which is better than having one lead dog, and the rest are slugs. It seems we're better personnel-wise, scheme and coaching-wise on dline... Now we'll see how we do against Dallas' brick wall.

We've also gotten used the RBBC with the Broncs, but I think Bucks and Moreno are at LEAST as talented (cue the sarcasm) as our backs over the past few years. And I understand the "theory" of Jordan being out there to finish out a game, but it's not all that convincing in the way it plays out. If we were to have to cut a back, I'd look his way first, and let Hillis polish his skills more often.

SR
10-02-2009, 07:54 AM
However, it does suck to own any Broncos in fantasy football. Damn you McDaniels.

It sure doesn't suck being an owner of the Broncos defense though. :D

Zweems56
10-02-2009, 10:53 AM
they should call us "the denver mentos !" were THAT fresh !:D

I think we should stick with the board theme of nicknames. Head Coach Josh McMentos. Because he's the Freshmaker.