TXBRONC
10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13462747

Broncos' McDaniels concerned with Cowboys' run game
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/01/2009 12:43:45 PM MDT
Updated: 10/01/2009 12:58:39 PM MDT

The Broncos know what they're getting in the Dallas Cowboys Sunday.

They are getting the league's No. 1 rushing team, averaging 193.7 yards per game on the ground. And they do it without pinwheels or sleight of hand. They do it behind one of the biggest offensive lines in the league.

"Some of the holes that are opened, not sure I'll see the rest of the year," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said today. "There's plays the back doesn't get touched, he's 25 yards into the secondary."

The Broncos have the league's No. 1 defense in fewest yards allowed after three games and the Broncos are the league's top scoring defense as well.

McDaniels said today he expects the Cowboys to split carries between Tashard Choice and Marion Barber at running back. Felix Jones, who leads the league in yards per carry at 10.1, will not play because of a sprained knee.

Barber did not play this past Monday night against Carolina because of a thigh injury, but he has practiced this week and is expected to be available Sunday against the Broncos.

Barber has averaged 6.3 yards per carry behind the Cowboys' mammoth line while Choice, a second-year back, has averaged 4.5.

The five Cowboys starters up front all weigh at least 307 pounds — left guard Kyle Kosier is the lightest at 307 — with four starters coming in at least 318.

Certainly there's no finesse in them at all, this a powerful group," McDaniels said. "You've got to do a good job to disrupt them at the line of scrimmage in some way, shape or form or it will be a long day. You've got to keep mixing it up, you can't be giving them the same thing or you're going to be in trouble. Somebody's going to have 200 yards."

The Cowboys have rushed for at least 200 yards in back-to-back games.

"We know what kind of challenge it's going to be," said linebacker Andra Davis.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Lonestar
10-01-2009, 03:37 PM
could be a short day in DEN.. if they run like they have it will be all run and no stopping the clock..

Dr Velcro
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z159/mikeye98/ATT83871.jpg

FanInAZ
10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z159/mikeye98/ATT83871.jpg

:D Nice pic of Tony Romo :D

TXBRONC
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
It's going to be tough sledding, this week we'll find out just how stout this defense really is.

Nomad
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I heard on FSR the other day, Jones will not play and Barber is a big ? as well. Who else do they have as RBs?

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I heard on FSR the other day, Jones will not play and Barber is a big ? as well. Who else do they have as RBs?

Tashard Choice. 2nd year player.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Tashard Choice is more than likely the best 3rd RB in the league. He has been very effective in his limited opportunities including carrying the load against Pittsburgh last season for 166 total rushing and receiving yards and one touchdown. That was the most against them all year. Don't sleep on him for a second.

Ziggy
10-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Tashard Choice is more than likely the best 3rd RB in the league. He has been very effective in his limited opportunities including carrying the load against Pittsburgh last season for 166 total rushing and receiving yards and one touchdown. That was the most against them all year. Don't sleep on him for a second.

The best 3rd round running back in the league? Now there's an argument.

Nomad
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks fellas! I never heard of him but I'll take your word for it BlueStar.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
The best 3rd round running back in the league? Now there's an argument.

He could easily start for many teams. If he was on your team this season, I bet he would start over Buckhalter.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 04:29 PM
"Some of the holes that are opened, not sure I'll see the rest of the year," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said today. "There's plays the back doesn't get touched, he's 25 yards into the secondary."

Really this tells you all you need to know about our running game. Anyone with a pulse could run behind this line the way they are playing this season. Glad to see opposition giving credit where it is due.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
It was stated by the OWNER:tsk: - NOT the COACH, that Barber should play:

Barber should be OK to play for Cowboys on Sunday, owner says

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81311e16&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone with a pulse could run behind this line the way they are playing this season.

Well maybe not this guy.....
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/04/94/19/slideshow_1199449_falcons.0803_CC9.JPG

FanInAZ
10-01-2009, 04:40 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81311e16&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Exhibit 1 for why Shanny isn't going to coach for Jones. Jones has no business holding press conferences talking about decisions that are the coach's to make!

Slick
10-01-2009, 04:46 PM
The altitude may play a factor in Sunday's game. Big, fat offensive lineman coming from sea level won't like playing in Mile High.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 04:49 PM

You can trust things you hear from Jerry more than you can trust things you hear from Wad. Wad is worthless as a media mouthpiece. I am sure many of you know this, but if you want some real entertainment watch the press conference Wad had when Pacman Jones beat up his body guard last year. It shows what a Buffoon Wad really is.

Jerry likes being the GM, even though he stinks at it, and revels in taking credit wherever he can. That's why Jimmy Johnson left. He was tired of Jerry trying to take credit for his work.

I couldnt find a video of it. Too bad it was highly entertaining listening to Wad try to dance around the reports questions and fail.

Here is a transcript. Looks like its edited to me, but still some juicy stuff in there including how he tried to say Jerry was going to take the tough questions but the reporters get it out of him anyway.

Its good for a laugh, and its where man of us lost any respect that we had left for Wad.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/10/9/631849/wade-phillips-press-confer

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
The altitude may play a factor in Sunday's game. Big, fat offensive lineman coming from sea level won't like playing in Mile High.

Just because they are big doesnt mean they are all fat. Gurode, yes he is a little on the fat side. But take a look at a pic of the rest of them. Davis, Columbo, Flo, and Kosier are not fat, just massive.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Exhibit 1 for why Shanny isn't going to coach for Jones. Jones has no business holding press conferences talking about decisions that are the coach's to make!

Jerry didnt hold a press conference and no where does it say that he did. He makes himself available to the media about all subjects. If they ask him about something he knows the answer too he will comment on it.

Sometimes it is detrimental, see last season when he said he was surprised Barber didn't play.

I don't think Shannahan is a fit for this team anyway. Its not built to his liking. The OL isn't a fit for a zone run scheme. If he goes outside the org, it will be someone like Cowher.

WARHORSE
10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Really this tells you all you need to know about our running game. Anyone with a pulse could run behind this line the way they are playing this season. Glad to see opposition giving credit where it is due.

He said hes not sure he'll see anymore of that..........teams will obviously move to stop the run.

Anyway, your offensive line averages about 326 lbs.

Cincinnatis offensive line averages 320 lbs.

Not a big difference in size.

Cedric Benson, whos been running pretty physical himself, got a whopping 76 yards rushing.

Not what Id call a career day.

So, while Im not going to say that you wont do better..............We're not afraid of being run over. We got some pretty stout guys up there ourselves.

If you push us off the line............you'll run the ball.

If you dont, or you fall behind.............you wont.

Thats why we'll see ya on sunday.:salute:

Slick
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Just because they are big doesnt mean they are all fat. Gurode, yes he is a little on the fat side. But take a look at a pic of the rest of them. Davis, Columbo, Flo, and Kosier are not fat, just massive.

Any man who is not 7 feet tall and weighs more than 300lbs. is fat. Don't get defensive. It's not a knock on your line.

WARHORSE
10-01-2009, 05:09 PM

We're going to wear Gurode out.

Hes the one we're going to mash.

The one in front of Romo. That rhymes with homo by the way..........just sayin.............:coffee:

;)

FanInAZ
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
You can trust things you hear from Jerry more than you can trust things you hear from Wad. Wad is worthless as a media mouthpiece. I am sure many of you know this, but if you want some real entertainment watch the press conference Wad had when Pacman Jones beat up his body guard last year. It shows what a Buffoon Wad really is.

Jerry likes being the GM, even though he stinks at it, and revels in taking credit wherever he can. That's why Jimmy Johnson left. He was tired of Jerry trying to take credit for his work.

I couldnt find a video of it. Too bad it was highly entertaining listening to Wad try to dance around the reports questions and fail.

Here is a transcript. Looks like its edited to me, but still some juicy stuff in there including how he tried to say Jerry was going to take the tough questions but the reporters get it out of him anyway.

Its good for a laugh, and its where man of us lost any respect that we had left for Wad.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/10/9/631849/wade-phillips-press-confer

Phillips was swimming in a shark tank with blood in the water. Something happened that the media can make a big deal out of and they were determined to do so, but there was no way they were going to wait for the facts to come out. So needed to get him to say something that would allow them to do just that. All coaches should be aware of that and be careful about every word they say.

Remember, we live in a sue happy society. I don't recall all of the detail, but when ever victims (real or wanna-bees), there is the possibility of a lawsuit. So if there were any such victims (real or wanna-bees), then an army of ambulance chasers who would love to sue Jone for millions so they can get their 1/3. That's why when ever there are legal problems, lawyers are running the show at least until they have conclude whether or not somebody wants to sue. Until then, the coach keeps his mouth shut while the owner consults with the lawyers.

T.K.O.
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
i see that big o-line wearing down in the 2nd half ,suckin thin air....
i just hope we either have a lead when they do or its a close game....then
romo will be runnin' for his life from "DOOM":salute:

FanInAZ
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Jerry didnt hold a press conference and no where does it say that he did. He makes himself available to the media about all subjects. If they ask him about something he knows the answer too he will comment on it.

Sometimes it is detrimental, see last season when he said he was surprised Barber didn't play.

I don't think Shannahan is a fit for this team anyway. Its not built to his liking. The OL isn't a fit for a zone run scheme. If he goes outside the org, it will be someone like Cowher.

Actuall, wouldn't want Shanny as a HC becaue his defense were consistantly bad no matter who was his DC. I'd hire him as an OC without a seconds though, but not as a HC.

underrated29
10-01-2009, 05:36 PM
He could easily start for many teams. If he was on your team this season, I bet he would start over Buckhalter.

Ok blue- i like your input and thefun discussions you have brought here. But this one is where i draw the line.

Bucky is starting AHEAD of Knowshon. By stating that choice would start over bucky also means that choice would start over Knowshon.

I think even in Dallas, that you would know there is no way in the hell of all hells that choice is even remotely close to Knowshon.

Bucky is starting until Know gets the ropes, but dont kid yourself, bucky is tearing it up. (and i am not a buck fan) And Knowshon is getting ready to dominate!

Choice is solid, but not Denver Broncos Solid.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Any man who is not 7 feet tall and weighs more than 300lbs. is fat. Don't get defensive. It's not a knock on your line.

Not defensive in the least. So you don't think that a man can be close to 7 feet...6'7 or 6'6 and carry that much weight in muscle? I agree that some of them are fat, but that's a pretty broad brush your painting with there. Leonard Davis is not fat. He's a freak of nature.
Also your formula says that a guy who is 6'5 and 299 isn't fat. I would argue that for each individual you have to take their height, and body fat content into consideration. I would bet that ours is much lower than you would think....except for Gurode and his bounding belly.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
If they commit to the run and we do what we've been doing w/ the running and controlled passing game, this game will take 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Phillips was swimming in a shark tank with blood in the water. Something happened that the media can make a big deal out of and they were determined to do so, but there was no way they were going to wait for the facts to come out. So needed to get him to say something that would allow them to do just that. All coaches should be aware of that and be careful about every word they say.

Remember, we live in a sue happy society. I don't recall all of the detail, but when ever victims (real or wanna-bees), there is the possibility of a lawsuit. So if there were any such victims (real or wanna-bees), then an army of ambulance chasers who would love to sue Jone for millions so they can get their 1/3. That's why when ever there are legal problems, lawyers are running the show at least until they have conclude whether or not somebody wants to sue. Until then, the coach keeps his mouth shut while the owner consults with the lawyers.

The fact that he could not simply stand up and say, "HEY LISTEN I ALREADY TOLD YOU I AM NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THAT!", Shows me that he has no mental fortitude and can be pushed around like a wus.

Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Shannahan or heck even Dan Reeves would have handled that like it should have been handled. Wad simply isn't capable.

That my friend is why we went 13-3 and became the first #1 seed to lose in the opening round. If we lose it will be because the big softee doesn't know how to get his players ready to play. I hope it wont happen, but being a realist I have to leave the door open because it is more than a possibility.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 06:11 PM
The one in front of Romo. That rhymes with homo by the way..........just sayin.............:coffee:

;)

Never heard that one before.... just saying..:rolleyes:

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Ok blue- i like your input and thefun discussions you have brought here. But this one is where i draw the line.

Bucky is starting AHEAD of Knowshon. By stating that choice would start over bucky also means that choice would start over Knowshon.

I think even in Dallas, that you would know there is no way in the hell of all hells that choice is even remotely close to Knowshon.

Bucky is starting until Know gets the ropes, but dont kid yourself, bucky is tearing it up. (and i am not a buck fan) And Knowshon is getting ready to dominate!

Choice is solid, but not Denver Broncos Solid.
Perhaps you are giving to much credit to your backs and not enough to your line. I agree that Buckhalter is a serviceable back when healthy, and perhaps my statement has some serious presumptions in it, but I stick by it.

Buck is only starting over Moreno because McDaniels is doing things the right way in making him earn the job. You are right that Buckhalter has been productive, but I look at his body of work with the eagles and there he was simply average.

My might be right, but my point is that if he was there, he certainly would be in consideration for the job.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
This game will be interesting. Among the 5 wins both teams have, only 1 was against a team I'd bet on vs Alabama...and we won that on a crazy play at the end. Both teams have sumthin to prove. Unfortunately, the winner still won't get any respect for beating what the media feels is a "legit" team.

Lonestar
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM

I guess you missed the point, even massive guys will be sucking wind after a quarter in DEN you do not need to be fat to no be able to breath..

T.K.O.
10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
will the cowboys be bringing cheerleaders?http://www.wf.net/~sst97/images/cowgirls.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
The cheerleaders will be whoever FOX rolls out to call the game.

Bluestar76
10-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I guess you missed the point, even massive guys will be sucking wind after a quarter in DEN you do not need to be fat to no be able to breath..
Since I like to ski I understand the difference...personally.

I am not a finely tuned athlete. Some of our OL are and some of them aren't. We will see how much of an effect it has on them.

Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I don't get the point of what he was saying.

Bronco Warrior
10-02-2009, 01:04 AM

You finally said something Homeristic and Stupid...lol...pretty long time you went for a CowGirls fan! That and the "Could start for us" totally blew your streak! Choice is a 10 carries a game sideshow..a Sproles without the speed or the vision (That made me throw up a little saying that about a Charger:banghead:) Like Sproles he can't carry the load for more than a half or two before becoming useless by himself. Pray to the Cowboy gods that Brber isn't as gimpy as he is likely to be cause it will be a long day in Invesco if it's up to Romo.

Bronco Warrior
10-02-2009, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=Bluestar76;766759]

I am not a finely tuned athlete. Some of our OL are and some of them aren't. We will see how much of an effect it has on them.
QUOTE]

BlueStar! My Dallas Loving foolish Brother! You are really restoring my image of a Delusional DALLAS homer..thank you! Flozzilla will be sucking on oxygen from the first quarter. And Flo is a "finely tuned athlete? LMAO! Clady fits that but Flo is a dirty fat turd that can't play fair so he cheats ever chance he gets and is teaching it to guys like Jones.

Tned
10-02-2009, 07:25 AM
If they commit to the run and we do what we've been doing w/ the running and controlled passing game, this game will take 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Add to that the Broncos are tied for 5th in fewest offensive penalties, and Dallas is tied for 8th, and if both teams commit to the run, the clock might not stop too often.

Tned
10-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Perhaps you are giving to much credit to your backs and not enough to your line. I agree that Buckhalter is a serviceable back when healthy, and perhaps my statement has some serious presumptions in it, but I stick by it.

Buck is only starting over Moreno because McDaniels is doing things the right way in making him earn the job. You are right that Buckhalter has been productive, but I look at his body of work with the eagles and there he was simply average.

My might be right, but my point is that if he was there, he certainly would be in consideration for the job.

Last year, when we rotated through 8 or so RBs for the season, I believe the stat was that plays that went behind LT Clady was number one in the leauge (yards per carry) and third in the league when running behind RT Harris.

So, I don't think what the line has done can be discounted, but at the same time, whether it's a four yard carry or a 14 yard carry is often a factor of what the back does after hitting the hold.

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2009, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Bluestar76;766759]

QUOTE]

BlueStar! My Dallas Loving foolish Brother! You are really restoring my image of a Delusional DALLAS homer..thank you! Flozzilla will be sucking on oxygen from the first quarter. And Flo is a "finely tuned athlete? LMAO! Clady fits that but Flo is a dirty fat turd that can't play fair so he cheats ever chance he gets and is teaching it to guys like Jones.

There is a smack forum for smack-talk. BlueStar has been pretty good about giving his honest opinion, and it's been pretty rational. I.E., he's not smack-talking all over the board. Start a thread in smack talk if you want to, but let's keep this on the up and up please.

Bluestar76
10-02-2009, 01:30 PM
You finally said something Homeristic and Stupid...lol...pretty long time you went for a CowGirls fan! That and the "Could start for us" totally blew your streak! Choice is a 10 carries a game sideshow..a Sproles without the speed or the vision (That made me throw up a little saying that about a Charger:banghead:) Like Sproles he can't carry the load for more than a half or two before becoming useless by himself. Pray to the Cowboy gods that Brber isn't as gimpy as he is likely to be cause it will be a long day in Invesco if it's up to Romo.

So Choice didn't carry the load for 4 quarters against the Steelers last year and grind out 166 total yards and a TD? The most of any back all season against them by the way. Stupid and homeristic huh....

I say something that you don't agree with and you start insulting me....Who's being stupid and homeristic? Sorry, I don't think its me.

Bluestar76
10-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Last year, when we rotated through 8 or so RBs for the season, I believe the stat was that plays that went behind LT Clady was number one in the leauge (yards per carry) and third in the league when running behind RT Harris.

So, I don't think what the line has done can be discounted, but at the same time, whether it's a four yard carry or a 14 yard carry is often a factor of what the back does after hitting the hold.

My point is choice is highly underated, and a lot of your posters dont seem to be giving him the credit I believe he deserves. One thing I am not is a homer, and there were many calls for Choice to be the starter this season after his successes late last year. Buckhalter is an average RB IMHO. Choice is average as well and would be neck and neck for the job. I think Choice would win out because of the things off the field like his leadership ability. When talent is equal, intangibles win out in the end.

And seriously, if Buckhalter was all that, why did the eagles let him walk?

Bluestar76
10-02-2009, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=Bronco Warrior;766980]

There is a smack forum for smack-talk. BlueStar has been pretty good about giving his honest opinion, and it's been pretty rational. I.E., he's not smack-talking all over the board. Start a thread in smack talk if you want to, but let's keep this on the up and up please.
Thank you for maintaining class and respectability. You guys do have a good board here. I look forward to returning after the game regardless of result.

broncofaninfla
10-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Barber, Choice and Jones are all stud RB's.

dogfish
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Choice is a 10 carries a game sideshow..a Sproles without the speed or the vision (That made me throw up a little saying that about a Charger:banghead:) Like Sproles he can't carry the load for more than a half or two before becoming useless by himself.

wut?

:confused:

choice is 4 inches taller and 22 pounds heavier than sproles, and they have almost completely different running styles. . . how is choice "like" sproles? sproles is an explosive scatback who doesn't have the size or between-the-tackles running ability to ever be a fulltime starter. . . choice is a traditional straight-ahead runner with typical starters size-- he was a workhorse in college, and there's no reason to belive he can't be at this level. . . when you say he can't carry the load for more than a half without becoming useless, you're pretty much just making stuff up. . .

underrated29
10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
They are. And Felix esp.

But choice is no where near Knowshon. Not even close. It will be seen just how good they both comparitively are.

Like coach said, if felix could stay healthy - he could really be one of the greats.

I like felix a whole lot more than DMC.

Bluestar76
10-02-2009, 06:42 PM
They are. And Felix esp.

But choice is no where near Knowshon. Not even close. It will be seen just how good they both comparitively are.

Like coach said, if felix could stay healthy - he could really be one of the greats.

I agree, there is a reason Moreno was drafted as high as he was. IMHO choice should have been a second rounder, but since he didnt play for a top tiered program he fell.

I still cant believe he fell to us in the late 4th. Jerry traded down like 5 times before we drafted him.

T.K.O.
10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
i actually thought we would pick up choice,i think he can be solid if he went to a team that needed him,if the boys hire shanny next year (or next week if the broncos embarrass them) he could easily be a 1000 yd back:cool:

Bluestar76
10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
i actually thought we would pick up choice,i think he can be solid if he went to a team that needed him,if the boys hire shanny next year (or next week if the broncos embarrass them) he could easily be a 1000 yd back:cool:

If that would get rid of wade I would gladly lose this game:laugh:

BrooklynCowboysfan
10-02-2009, 10:19 PM

If I knew JJ would definitely fire Wade over a loss in this game, I would fly down to Denver, root for the Broncos, and hold a press conference back at our board explaining: "This is how heroes are born!"

Northman
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
They are. And Felix esp.

I wouldnt sell him that short. He may not have the flare of Moreno but Choice is a baller.

MOtorboat
10-03-2009, 01:16 AM
you're pretty much just making stuff up. . .

Yup.

I wouldnt sell him that short. He may not have the flare of Moreno but Choice is a baller.

I'm not sold on Choice. He has a few good carries in one game, and because of injury he's being forced into playing time.

As far as him being compared to Sproles, that's just stupid. He's not even close to a Sproles type back. If he becomes anything, it will be a back like Portis. He doesn't have top-end speed, but he could be a work-horse type back and get 15-20 carries a game, but there's a reason that he's third string...Jones and Barber are better.

T.K.O.
10-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Barber, Choice and Jones are all stud RB's.

sure they're good but in the immortal words of mr T....".i pity the fool who has to tote the rock against the broncos :defense:"

Bronco Warrior
10-03-2009, 04:46 PM
For the record I was not comparing ACTUAL physical stature or running style, but the fact that he has never shown he can carryy the load in this league and yet everybody thinks he is the bomb. BlueStar called him possibly the third best back in the league...and he is barely the third best back on the CowBoys! and you call me stupid..lmao!

T.K.O.
10-03-2009, 04:52 PM

well your amongst friends we will do all we can to help you out there !:D
i dont know if it will get him fired,but i'm pretty sure the boys will be flyin' home 2-2:beer:
and with jerry dumping 1 billion bucks on the new "jumbotronarena"he wont be puttin' up with much this year.
if they get to 2-4....3-5 area i think shanny gets the call.:listen:

dogfish
10-03-2009, 05:08 PM
For the record I was not comparing ACTUAL physical stature or running style, but the fact that he has never shown he can carryy the load in this league and yet everybody thinks he is the bomb. BlueStar called him possibly the third best back in the league...and he is barely the third best back on the CowBoys! and you call me stupid..lmao!

he called him "the best third back in the league," not "the third best back in the league". . . in other words, the best third string back-- a guy that would be higher on the depth chart on a team that didn't have talent like barber and jones ahead of him. . .

reading comprehension FTW. . . . ;)

Northman
10-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Yup.

I'm not sold on Choice. He has a few good carries in one game, and because of injury he's being forced into playing time.

As far as him being compared to Sproles, that's just stupid. He's not even close to a Sproles type back. If he becomes anything, it will be a back like Portis. He doesn't have top-end speed, but he could be a work-horse type back and get 15-20 carries a game, but there's a reason that he's third string...Jones and Barber are better.

I agree that he is more of a Portis type back. I think thats pretty evident. But the reason he is third string is because there was already a guy in front of him with Barber. If i remember correctly, Dallas ended up taking both Choice and Jones in the same draft so they were looking for guys at that position for depth and because they lost (the way i see it) out on Julius because he was injury prone. Barber has had his own mishaps with injuries so i dont think it was a slight against Choice for when he was taken as Dallas already had a #1 RB. The fact that both Jones and Choice have been successful says that the Cowboys made out like bandits at that position. I mean, when a player gets hurt another guy takes his spot it doesnt matter on the position. There was no way that Choice was going to come in and replace Barber just off of sheer talent alone. Dallas had already made up their mind that Barber was the guy. Bottom line, if Jones and Barber werent sharing time with him Choice could easily be a #1 back. IMO

Bluestar76
10-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I agree that he is more of a Portis type back. I think thats pretty evident. But the reason he is third string is because there was already a guy in front of him with Barber. If i remember correctly, Dallas ended up taking both Choice and Jones in the same draft so they were looking for guys at that position for depth and because they lost (the way i see it) out on Julius because he was injury prone. Barber has had his own mishaps with injuries so i dont think it was a slight against Choice for when he was taken as Dallas already had a #1 RB. The fact that both Jones and Choice have been successful says that the Cowboys made out like bandits at that position. I mean, when a player gets hurt another guy takes his spot it doesnt matter on the position. There was no way that Choice was going to come in and replace Barber just off of sheer talent alone. Dallas had already made up their mind that Barber was the guy. Bottom line, if Jones and Barber werent sharing time with him Choice could easily be a #1 back. IMO

There were many calls amongst our fandom to have Choice start, use Jones as a change of pace, and have barber come in at the end to hammer teams when they are tired.

When all three are healthy Choice is used as the 3rd down back because of his ability to pick up the blitz and his pass catching skills. Apparently that is something Felix needs to work on(see leg whip.)

The only team in the NFL that has more talent in their RB stable IMHO is Minnesota. Adrian Peterson/Harvin/Taylor get the edge at the top because of Peterson alone. Apart from that I dont think any other team is close. We are dreadfully thin at other positions though. Once you get past our starters at OL we stink!