PDA

View Full Version : Broncos happy with rookie LB Ayers

Spiritguy
10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
ENGLEWOOD – Outside linebacker Robert Ayers is coming along just fine.

At first glance, the Denver Broncos’ first-round pick hasn’t lived up to expectations, with only one tackle and no other stats through three games. But linebackers coach Don Martindale explained that Ayers, who has played in the Broncos’ nickel defense on passing downs, has done plenty that doesn’t show up in the stat sheet and is making a normal progression for a rookie.

“He’s doing a lot of good things in our team defensive scheme that people don’t see and recognize,” Martindale said.

Martindale offered an example: Against the Browns, Ayers’ responsibility on certain plays was to “set the edge,” or keep the quarterback contained in the pocket. Ayers held his ground against Cleveland Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas. Dumervil benefited with a four-sack day.

“That was able to free up Elvis Dumervil, along with everybody else,” Martindale said. “If he doesn’t play his role in that pass rush, in that situation, Brady Quinn is able to get out of the pocket. There’s things like that, times that we ask him to do a lot of different things other than just rush the passer or setting the edge of the defense. I’m really excited about him.”

The Broncos admit Ayers isn’t a finished product. He’s still learning the nuances of the defense and of playing outside linebacker after being primarily a defensive end in college. Martindale said Ayers is working in a positive direction toward becoming a full-time starter, but all of Denver’s starting linebackers ahead of him are playing well.

The team is fine with how Ayers has fared so far as a rookie.

“I have nothing but good things to say about Robert Ayers,” Martindale said. “I think he’s right on schedule.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/ayers-63053-broncos-englewood.html

Lonestar
10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
To think just the other day we had a thread asking for everyones head, because this years rookies are not playing worth a darn.. Moreno did not yet have a thousand yards and ayers only had one tackle..

go figure, once again the posters were wrong.... according to this report....

CoachChaz
10-01-2009, 03:47 PM
aYERS WILL BE PLAYING dOOM'S POSITION NEXT YEAR

honz
10-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Caps lock FAIL!

shank
10-01-2009, 04:41 PM

i take it you are under the impression that we will not be resigning doom? why dat?

WARHORSE
10-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Actually, Doom will be playin Dooms position next year I would think.

Not like hes goin anywhere next year.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah...Doom has to be priority #1. I doubt we pay BMarsh and the money that woulda gone to Cutler is now free and clear to pay some folks who need paid.

Slick
10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Caps lock FAIL!

Failure to understand CoachChaz.

Have you ever seen him actually write like that?

dogfish
10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
so he's not a bust?

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Depends on who ya ask.

dogfish
10-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Depends on who ya ask.

see, i always think a rook is a bust if he doesn't light it up in two, three games max. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 06:59 PM
see, i always think a rook is a bust if he doesn't light it up in two, three games max. . . .

Yeah...you might be right.

horsepig
10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Watch the tape of last week. Ayers made some real nice 'contain' plays and he's starting to fly around to the ball some.

That may sound like a contradiction, but it's not. It's all in the timing.

Dean
10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
A couple of years ago we were hearing the same type of coaching evaluations of Moss and Crowder. Coaches try to work them into positions of responsibility little by little. With some it doesn't take long while others never come around. IMO it's too early to tell.

Bronco Warrior
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM
ENGLEWOOD – Outside linebacker Robert Ayers is coming along just fine.

Martindale offered an example: Against the Browns, Ayers’ responsibility on certain plays was to “set the edge,” or keep the quarterback contained in the pocket. Ayers held his ground against Cleveland Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas. Dumervil benefited with a four-sack day.

“That was able to free up Elvis Dumervil, along with everybody else,” Martindale said. “If he doesn’t play his role in that pass rush, in that situation, Brady Quinn is able to get out of the pocket. There’s things like that, times that we ask him to do a lot of different things other than just rush the passer or setting the edge of the defense. I’m really excited about him.”

Funny...I said that on the other sight an hour after the Cleveland game when people were dogging Ayers. Seriously even the Oakland game you can see it.

Try this people..this Sunday watch how many times Ayers controls Fatzilla Adams and his position to prevent T. Homo from stepping up in the pocket. In Nolan's scheme Ayers should be at about 10-10:30 holding the LT there so that Romo can escape outside and cant step up inside. That allows the rest of the line to callapse around him. Ayers and Moreno are solid fundamentally and that doesn't always result in early flash but will over time.

Superchop 7
10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Moreno looks like a rook, Portis and TD looked alot better after about 8 games their rookie season. The speed of this game is a big adjustment.

Ayers, well, MUG is high on him so well see. (I have respect for his opinion, he has a knack for front 7 guys) He also liked Pedescleax in the lower rounds or FA as a project.

broncofaninfla
10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
This article is garbage. Proof is in the pudding and to date Ayers hasn't done sh*t. Way too early to call him a bust and of course Martindale is going to say something positive at this point. Ayers is still in the building process.

CoachChaz
10-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Ayers reminds me of Timmons in the sense that he had a huge upside, but it took awhile to complete the transition. I think Ayers will be fine. I say the odds of us re-signing Doom are slim, so Ayers has a year to figure it out.

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Ayers reminds me of Timmons in the sense that he had a huge upside, but it took awhile to complete the transition. I think Ayers will be fine. I say the odds of us re-signing Doom are slim, so Ayers has a year to figure it out.

I think you were asked this before, but I didn't see your response. Why do you think the chances of re-signing Doom are slim?

silkamilkamonico
10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I think you were asked this before, but I didn't see your response. Why do you think the chances of re-signing Doom are slim?

Before, when he was a pass rushing DE, I would have thought his asking price would have been too high for a situational pass rusher.

Him at OLB though, and with his production, DEnver would be idiots to not re-sign the guy. He's tailor made for a position like that in our defense.

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Before, when he was a pass rushing DE, I would have thought his asking price would have been too high for a situational pass rusher.

Him at OLB though, and with his production, DEnver would be idiots to not re-sign the guy. He's tailor made for a position like that in our defense.

I would tend to agree unless Nolan just doesn't think he fits his scheme. .. but he seems to be utilizing him pretty effectively so far.

CoachChaz
10-02-2009, 11:50 AM

I dont think I answered it.

I guess simply because it's just not feasible to sign everyone to the contracts they want. We just signed 2 first round picks, Champ and DJ make a ton, Marshall wants a ton, Clady makes a ton and will want more...

...at some point something has to give. If Doom finishes this season the way he has started, then I would make him a priority. but there will be other teams offering him alot more than we can. I know he says he loves Denver and I hope that's the case...I just fear he bolts for the bigger money

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM

I guess simply because it's just not feasible to sign everyone to the contracts they want. We just signed 2 first round picks, Champ and DJ make a ton, Marshall wants a ton, Clady makes a ton and will want more...

...at some point something has to give. If Doom finishes this season the way he has started, then I would make him a priority. but there will be other teams offering him alot more than we can. I know he says he loves Denver and I hope that's the case...I just fear he bolts for the bigger money

That makes plenty of sense. If he's not re-signed, it's not because we don't want him, just that we have too many irons in the fire so to speak.

CoachChaz
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
That makes plenty of sense. If he's not re-signed, it's not because we don't want him, just that we have too many irons in the fire so to speak.

Precisely...and let's not forget that the media villification of McD doesnt help when agents ask for money for their players to play for him.

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Precisely...and let's not forget that the media villification of McD doesnt help when agents ask for money for their players to play for him.

I think that aspect (players supposedly not liking playing for McD) will work itself out pretty quickly. As it sits right now, it would appear that the team has bought in and enjoys playing for him.

dogfish
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM

assuming that he continues to play the way he has-- which i believe he will-- then IMO we need to franchise him if we can't get a long-term deal done. . . the one-year price for LBs isn't completely exorbitant, at least compared to some other positions. . . and if it comes down to doom or marshall, i'd rather let our best receiving threat walk than our best pass rusher. . . right now it looks like defense is going to be the hallmark of this team, and it's easier to replace wideout production in the spread offense than a potential double-digit sack guy. . . .

Lonestar
10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
It comes down to the player the agent can try and make huge deals else but many NE players accept less to play there.

Money is not always the answer yet the agents will always press for more.

There are a lot of players that are coming up for contracts over the next few years.

In the past we were consistent carrying 10 to 20 milion as dead cap space.

Right now I think we are pretty much free of dead cap money. IIRC last year we were something like 12 mil under the cap. Plus any players that were included in that money.

Now I know we signed a lot of FA this past year but for the most part they are all modest contracts that are short termed.

I think that many of those upcoming FA's will think twice about playing here for less dinero if we are on the verge of playoff wins.

Sent via Blackberry by alltel.

honz
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Caps lock WIN!

Requiem / The Dagda
10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Ayers to Timmons isn't as good as a comparison as Ayers to Woodley. Doubt the cap issue is really relevant either.

pipes
10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I didn't see anything posted about this, but did anybody else notice how well Robert Ayers played against Dallas?

-He looked very quick with plenty of moves against what many were calling "the best offensive line in the NFL".

frenchfan
10-08-2009, 01:22 AM
I didn't see anything posted about this, but did anybody else notice how well Robert Ayers played against Dallas?

-He looked very quick with plenty of moves against what many were calling "the best offensive line in the NFL".I agree...
And it seems he made some plays (didn't he tackle for a minus 3y gain about that famous declined penalty in the game?)

Bronco Warrior
10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Anybody notice why the pass to hurd on 4th down was too high...well th experts say it was...look at who had their hand up and has some hops! Young number 56. NFL network was saying if Romo had got it in lower Chamo wouldn't have broke it up. Unsung hero?

broncofaninfla
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Ayers is slowly coming on.......hopefully he puts Brady on his back this weekend.

gregbroncs
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Anybody notice why the pass to hurd on 4th down was too high...well th experts say it was...look at who had their hand up and has some hops! Young number 56. NFL network was saying if Romo had got it in lower Chamo wouldn't have broke it up. Unsung hero? If it goes in lower Champ may not have been able to make the play but either Ayers or (Dawkins?) the guy who pounded the receiver after champs knockdown probably prevent the catch in that case. I think that Romo threw a decent pass he just chose the wrong defender to attack.

Bronco Warrior
10-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Jack Williams is the one that pounded Hurd on that last play..If it's lower Ayers intercepts of knocks it down If champ misses the tip away Jack Williams was there to seperate Hurd from his name! That's team Defense if you ask me!

TXBRONC
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Ayers has big hit on Romo that caused in completion but unfortunately there was penalty on defense that negated the play.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Ayers to Timmons isn't as good as a comparison as Ayers to Woodley. Doubt the cap issue is really relevant either.

Yeah...I think Champ goes before Elvis. If Champ doesn't restructure, he may not be in Denver in 2010...and Elvis will get his money. BMarsh may not be here regardless of whether or not we offer him big money. Clady will get paid. DJ is getting paid. That's pretty much it. We did a great job of finding reasonably priced FAs and we no longer have that QB who woulda killed our cap. The money is there for Doom.