PDA

View Full Version : New position golden for Dumervil

TXBRONC
10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/01/new-position-golden-for-dumervil

New position golden for Dumervil
Posted Oct. 01, 2009 @ 1:47 p.m.
By Dan Parr

The Broncos carved a distinct role for OLB Elvis Dumervil in their new 3-4 defense, and he's thriving in it. The fourth-year veteran has six sacks already after making just five in 16 games last season. Coordinator Mike Nolan is allowing him to focus on what he does best — rushing the passer, and to Nolan's credit, he's almost never asking Dumervil to follow tight ends or drop back into coverage, which are things Dumervil didn't do while playing defensive end in past years. He could be playing himself into a lucrative new contract offer when his deal expires after this season. It's not yet clear whether Dumervil will be a restricted or unrestricted free agent due to the possibility of an uncapped season, but if he keeps playing close to this level, teams that also run a 3-4, and perhaps even some 4-3 clubs, will no doubt be interested in him.

PFW has launched its brand-new NFL Draft Newsletter series, with the first issue now ready for mailing. Produced by PFW's player personnel department under the direction of Nolan Nawrocki, the series consists of four information-packed issues. For more info or to subscribe — click here for PDF e-pub or here for print format.

OrangeHoof
10-01-2009, 06:07 PM
So, who is covering the tight end if Dumerville isn't? Dawkins?

Couldn't a creative OC just flood Doom's zone with a TE and a RB, knowing somebody will be open?

I honestly think weaknesses in Denver's personel in this system will eventually be diagnosed and exploited. Right now, opposing coaches don't see the holes but once they figure it out, Nolan will need to figure out some new wrinkles.

Lonestar
10-01-2009, 06:15 PM
So, who is covering the tight end if Dumerville isn't? Dawkins?

Couldn't a creative OC just flood Doom's zone with a TE and a RB, knowing somebody will be open?

I honestly think weaknesses in Denver's personel in this system will eventually be diagnosed and exploited. Right now, opposing coaches don't see the holes but once they figure it out, Nolan will need to figure out some new wrinkles.

don't you suppose that anytime you blitz more than whom normally rushes the QB someone will be open..

blitzing the QB with extra bodies always leave someone open that is a fact of life..

but since one can not always put enough pressure on the QB with just 4 rushing it is an acceptable gamble on the D's point of view..

however IF Doom is just a Stand up DE as part of the DL that is only three other guys then it is traditional four man rush..

but if they do not know for sure he is coming or going.. it creates confusion even momentarily on the OL..

however over the next few months I'm sure they will be teaching him how to go out into space also.. as they are trying to do with ayers right now..

What you are seeing each week is not at all the finished product..

And each week they seem to be evolving the scheme to fit the weaknesses of the upcoming team..

dogfish
10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
don't you suppose that anytime you blitz more than whom normally rushes the QB someone will be open..

blitzing the QB with extra bodies always leave someone open that is a fact of life..

but since one can not always put enough pressure on the QB with just 4 rushing it is an acceptable gamble on the D's point of view..

however IF Doom is just a Stand up DE as part of the DL that is only three other guys then it is traditional four man rush..

but if they do not know for sure he is coming or going.. it creates confusion even momentarily on the OL..

however over the next few months I'm sure they will be teaching him how to go out into space also.. as they are trying to do with ayers right now..

What you are seeing each week is not at all the finished product..

And each week they seem to be evolving the scheme to fit the weaknesses of the upcoming team..

i remember one of the announcers (can't remember who it was off the top of my head) for our first game saying that he'd been watching denver's defensive practices, and that he was surprised how fluid elvis looked in his coverage drops. . . i haven't been paying close attention, but i know he is dropping at least once in a while, and i'm sure he's working hard on it in practice. . . but really, it's only smart to let your best pass rusher do his thing as much as possible-- doom's clearly at his best going forward, it's nolan's job to avoid mismatches as much as possible. . .

maybe someone who knows more about 3-4 coverage responsibilities than i do can speak up, but i'm pretty sure the ILBs are as likely as the OLBs to handle the TE when we're in man. . . .