PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check: Broncos

claymore
10-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Reality Check: Broncos

October 1, 2009 12:01 PM

Other 3-0 teams: Giants | Vikings | Saints | Jets | Ravens | Colts | Broncos

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Are the Broncos for real? The NFL Blog Network breaks down each of the seven teams that started the season 3-0.

Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
Coach Josh McDaniels has the Broncos playing well going into the tough portion of the schedule.

What they’ve accomplished: The Broncos are one of the most intriguing of the seven teams to go undefeated thus far. Many around the league thought it would take Denver all season to win three games after a tumultuous offseason. But the Broncos have been outstanding in the early going. No, they haven't conquered world-beaters as they defeated Cincinnati (on a miraculous last-second play), Cleveland and Oakland. But any win in the NFL is impressive and two of the Broncos’ victories have come on the road. Denver absolutely dominated Cleveland and Oakland. The Broncos are playing fantastic defense and have allowed a league-low 16 points. The defense is much improved and it appears to be very physical. Offensively, new head coach Josh McDaniels has his system working. It is playing timely offense, fueled by a strong running game. The Broncos make few mistakes and are very prepared. It’s early, but Denver is clicking.

What’s ahead: We’re going to find out if Denver is a contender or a pretender in the coming weeks. Denver faces top teams in eight of its next 10 contests. It also plays at Philadelphia in Week 16. Denver's next five games are at home against Dallas and New England and on the road at San Diego, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Games against the New York Giants and Indianapolis also loom. I guess the 1972 Dolphins and 1985 Bears were busy. This is a tough stretch and the Broncos know it. But Denver is confident, well-prepared and McDaniels knows a lot about playing in pressure games. The team is healthy and it feels like it can navigate this stretch competitively.

Realistic outcome: It is very difficult to expect the Broncos to run through this schedule without difficulty. But early success gives Denver some breathing room. If Denver goes 5-5 in the next 10 games it will be 8-5 and probably in the playoff mix heading to the stretch run. Denver has to keep winning at home and steal a couple of road games. It has to take advantage of its two remaining games against Kansas City and its home game against Oakland. Denver can’t stumble in winnable games. If Denver can stay healthy, I think it can stay in the race. This doesn’t look like a team that will fall apart. I think it will only get better under McDaniels. Realistically, the Broncos can be a factor in the playoff race.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/reality-check-2009
I think this comes close to summing up how I feel.

Bronco Warrior
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Good article but as usual ESPN leads the world in worst fact checkers ..."and on the road at San Diego, Baltimore and Pittsburgh."

Last I checked Nov. 9th the Steelers are coming to us! Did the league add an extra away game in Pitt to the Scheduale? Typical ESPN writers attention to reality.

claymore
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Good article but as usual ESPN leads the world in worst fact checkers ..."and on the road at San Diego, Baltimore and Pittsburgh."

Last I checked Nov. 9th the Steelers are coming to us! Did the league add an extra away game in Pitt to the Scheduale? Typical ESPN writers attention to reality.

At least they acknowledged the difficulty of our schedule. If we come out of this with only a few bumps and bruises, it will make us a verytough gritty team. IMO.

Grover
10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
We're not as uninjured as the article would make you believe. But Bill wrote up a pretty decent piece and I'm more impressed with him now at espn than I ever was with him at the Post. The comment about the old Dolphins and Bears teams was a nice touch.

This team is a work in progress. It has been and will be an interesting season.

Shazam!
10-01-2009, 01:25 PM
ESPN is just pissed that Denver has a great shot at 4-0, surpassing the predicted win total by many 'experts and analysts'. I tell you now, there will be no room on the bandwagon on Sunday night Clay.

claymore
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
ESPN is just pissed that Denver has a great shot at 4-0, surpassing the predicted win total by many 'experts and analysts'. I tell you now, there will be no room on the bandwagon on Sunday night Clay.

I hope your on here drunk on sunday night screamin "I told you so". Nothing would make me happier this week.

Shazam!
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok Clay, ok. You can sit up front with me on the bandwagon Sunday night. In fact you may have to take over if I have too much to drink.

Everyone else eats crow at the kiddie table.

And Superchop will have a new McDaniels avatar and say "I love Josh McDaniels"

TXBRONC
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM

I doubt they give a crap that Denver is 3-0 with a chance to be 4-0. Besides that Williamson's article is favorable to the Broncos it's not one that rips for who they have played.

Northman
10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I think most intelligent fans know this already.

honz
10-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Reality Check: The Broncos WILL win the Super Bowl this year.

SmilinAssasSin27
10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
What I like about this team is it APPEARS that we can count wins vs Oakland, KCx2 and Washington. This team looks as though it will not stumble vs the subpar teams it is supposed to beat. That being said, the schedule is rather brutal. It doesn't look quite as tough as it did in August, but if we finish 8-8 or 9-7, I'll be pleased that this team appears to be headed in the right direction.

horsepig
10-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Welcome the schedule lads. Nobody in the NFL ever goes anywhere playing a candyass regular season.

You get better playing the best. If we can hold our own against some of these teams we'll be ready come playoff time.

claymore
10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Welcome the schedule lads. Nobody in the NFL ever goes anywhere playing a candyass regular season.

You get better playing the best. If we can hold our own against some of these teams we'll be ready come playoff time.

My thoughts exactly. I wanna win. I wanna keep on winning. **** rebuilding.

Bronco Warrior
10-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Rebuilding? Who said rebuilding? A remodel more like it!

Superchop 7
10-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok Clay, ok. You can sit up front with me on the bandwagon Sunday night. In fact you may have to take over if I have too much to drink.

Everyone else eats crow at the kiddie table.

And Superchop will have a new McDaniels avatar and say "I love Josh McDaniels"

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Like hell he will.

broncobryce
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I see more and more hopping on. Watch how quick they jump off after one loss. I'm on for the long run. Who's with me?

honz
10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I see more and more hopping on. Watch how quick they jump off after one loss. I'm on for the long run. Who's with me?
I'm in it for the long run, as long as we keep winning.