PDA

View Full Version : You Can Never Have Too Many Runnging Backs

TXBRONC
12-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I've heard Shanahan say this before and well considering what happened Sunday its proven to be true once again. Also if anyone one is inclined to think that Young starting over Henry means something more, this article indicates something different.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2007/wwhi121207.htm

Shanahan likes having RB options, but Young remains the starter

Dec. 12, 2007

“You can never have too many backs,” head coach Mike Shanahan said on Monday, as rave reviews were streaming in over rookie Selvin Young’s 156-yard performance against the Chiefs in Week 14’s blowout win. Shanahan surprised some observers by giving Young such a heavy workload and using Travis Henry basically just to give Young an occasional breather and in mop-up duty, especially considering Henry had a weight lifted off his shoulders earlier that week when he won his drawn-out appeal with the league over a potential drug suspension. Shanahan isn’t about to throw in the towel with Henry, who was the NFL’s leading rusher after the first four games this season, but he intimated that Henry is not yet back in football shape after missing four weeks around midseason with rib and knee injuries. Shanahan rather enjoys the luxury of having a stable of backs that also includes Andre Hall, especially when taking into account how all of them have been banged up at different points this season. Until further notice, the shifty Young will remain in the starting lineup, a responsibility he certainly isn’t taking for granted as an undrafted first-year player. “My thing is just to keep pushing and take advantage of every opportunity I get,” Young said. “I could be here today and gone tomorrow. It’s great to be somewhere and have a home where people believe in you.”

Lonestar
12-12-2007, 09:39 PM
We may be seeing him being showcased to trade him off, trying to get the ante upped..

But Mikey has said in the past on different occasions that you can never have to many RB's, LB's and CB's all depending on who was hurt that week..

TXBRONC
12-12-2007, 10:00 PM
We may be seeing him being showcased to trade him off, trying to get the ante upped..

But Mikey has said in the past on different occasions that you can never have to many RB's, LB's and CB's all depending on who was hurt that week..

To trade who? Henry? If that's what you're thinking I doubt it.

Lonestar
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
To trade who? Henry? If that's what you're thinking I doubt it.

Now that Thenry is off the hook I do not think Mikey will keep, Young, Henry
and Hall.

FEE

FI

FOO

FUM

I smell trade bait out there.

TXBRONC
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Now that Thenry is off the hook I do not think Mikey will keep, Young, Henry
and Hall.

FEE

FI

FOO

FUM

I smell trade bait out there.

Wrong, cap issues.

Lonestar
12-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Wrong, cap issues.
Which one I'm not talking about trading Thenry and even if they did the contract goes to the new team.

BigBroncLove
12-13-2007, 05:25 AM
I really don't think Young is going to be in the trade mix next year IMO. If I am not wrong he was signed to a three year minimum pay deal, correct? (not sure on this one). Beyond that, even when Henry is healthy Young shows a lot more exlosiveness and he has a skill at making people miss. I think Young will remain in the lineup, especially as a change of pace RB.

I feel Henry's contract alone will put him at the top of the depth chart next year, but given Henry's health concerns this year, especially the banging he took early on as the passing game was trying to find its stride, they may use Young to keep Henry fresh and at 100%. I would say at the start of this season Henry would have none of that since he was very vocal about being a back that could carry a full load, but since his run in with the league and his injuries he seems more open to sharing the load. I think Young will be around next year.

Mike Bell however may still show some spark and I think will certienly be traded or cut unless Hall falls from favor, and if the playoff picture is completely out of the question in week 17, he may get some carries to show case him for a trade. My two cents....

SR
12-13-2007, 05:33 AM
I think Mike Bell should have been cut from the beginning...we should have cut him and kept Kyle Johnson. Stupid letting KJ go...

Retired_Member_001
12-13-2007, 05:33 AM
I really don't think Young is going to be in the trade mix next year IMO. If I am not wrong he was signed to a three year minimum pay deal, correct? (not sure on this one). Beyond that, even when Henry is healthy Young shows a lot more exlosiveness and he has a skill at making people miss. I think Young will remain in the lineup, especially as a change of pace RB.

I agree completely. I would love to find the stat the compares the ammount of 20+ yard carries Selvin Young has had compared to the ammount Travis Henry has had. I'd bet that Selvin Young has plenty more.

I feel Henry's contract alone will put him at the top of the depth chart next year, but given Henry's health concerns this year, especially the banging he took early on as the passing game was trying to find its stride, they may use Young to keep Henry fresh and at 100%. I would say at the start of this season Henry would have none of that since he was very vocal about being a back that could carry a full load, but since his run in with the league and his injuries he seems more open to sharing the load. I think Young will be around next year.

If it wasn't for Henry's contract he would be traded. Giving Henry such a big contract was a risk and it looks like it may not work out. Henry has chracter issues, he is slow and injury prone.

Mike Bell however may still show some spark and I think will certienly be traded or cut unless Hall falls from favor, and if the playoff picture is completely out of the question in week 17, he may get some carries to show case him for a trade. My two cents....

I agree. I also agree that if the playoff picture was out of the question, Shanahan would show off Mike Bell abit, just don't try and show off his blocking skills. :laugh:

TXBRONC
12-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Which one I'm not talking about trading Thenry and even if they did the contract goes to the new team.

I knew exactly who you were talking about. However it is still a cap issue, because then Denver has find a willing trade partner and I doubt there will be one. I don't think what you're suggesting is realistic.

BigBroncLove
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree completely. I would love to find the stat the compares the ammount of 20+ yard carries Selvin Young has had compared to the ammount Travis Henry has had. I'd bet that Selvin Young has plenty more.

He has one of the highest YPC stats, and certienly seems to have a lot more production per carry then Henry certainly has. I can't agree more with your sentiments. Selvin is very good at seeing the field infront of him and reacting with the one cut allowed in Bobby Turners running style here in Denver to be the right cut. He has power, though not as much as Henry, and his speed is unquestionably better then any other RB in the lineup.

If it wasn't for Henry's contract he would be traded. Giving Henry such a big contract was a risk and it looks like it may not work out. Henry has chracter issues, he is slow and injury prone.

I disagree with this a little. Henry brings a better power running game to the table then Selvin does IMO, and lets not forget that Selvin Young has a very bad history of injury in his college career at TExas where he spent half the time on the bench. Henry took a beating earlier this year behind below average run blocking and he made up for a passing game that sputtered, sometimes doing well sometimes assisting in three and outs. Through Henry' first four games he was instrumental and he took some wholloping shots that I think could of injured anyone (and he is tough, he played through the injury for a few games before having to throw in the towel). Since his injury his cuts have less authority and he seems to have zero burst. I think once Henry is healthy again he can prove to be a valuable part of the Bronco team. Especially since we have learned from last year what it is like to be able to drive the length of the field but have no power runner to punch it in those last few yards near the goal line. I will agree with you on this, he has character issues and certienly has no where near the speed Young has shown.

I also agree that if the playoff picture was out of the question, Shanahan would show off Mike Bell abit, just don't try and show off his blocking skills. :laugh:

:lol: couldn't of said it better myself. :beer:

Stargazer
12-13-2007, 10:04 PM

I still wonder why Shanahan made that deal. Of all people he knows RB's. A lot of money went to Henry who is aging/injuries at the wrong position.

Stargazer
12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree. I also agree that if the playoff picture was out of the question, Shanahan would show off Mike Bell abit, just don't try and show off his blocking skills. :laugh:

I'm willing to bet Mike Bell doesn't make the team next season.