PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Identity? A Good Read!

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 02:28 PM
OK I stole this from another page but I thought it rocks!

http://www.gazette.com/sports/bronco...englewood.html

ENGLEWOOD - Each week, the Denver Broncos wipe the game plan clean. Other teams take pride in their “identity,” but the Broncos proudly admit their identity is they have none.

“I do not think we are one of those teams that you could categorize as, ‘We do what we do,’” coach Josh McDaniels said. “We kind of do what we do each week differently.”

Every football team tries to exploit the opponents’ weakness, whether it is a specific player, a thin position group or a vulnerable formation. The Broncos take that to an extreme level. They feel they have smart, versatile players and assistant coaches who take pride in their teaching ability, so they change and cater their weekly plan to exploit weaknesses.

On Monday and Tuesday, coaches spend many hours finding the opponent’s deficiencies. During the first team meeting on Wednesday, the plan is revealed.

“I think the thing that I really enjoy is coming in there on Wednesday morning and trying to describe what kind of team we are playing and how we are going to try to play to beat them,” McDaniels said. “And you see 55 guys, 60 guys taking notes, writing things down and then digesting it.”

Though the exploitative approach is the same for Denver’s offense and defense, it is easy to see the weekly differences on offense. For example, against Oakland, the Broncos apparently felt they could line up with multiple tight ends, be physical and run the ball. That was the crux of the plan, and they rushed for 215 yards. They also felt Oakland’s speed in the secondary, especially at cornerback, was a strength. So pass plays worked the middle of the field. Receiver Brandon Marshall often lined up tight to the line and was matched up against a linebacker or safety. He caught a touchdown when he got a mismatch against linebacker Kirk Morrison. Marshall caught five of Kyle Orton’s 13 completions.

There are challenges for the coaches and players with the weekly overhaul. First, the coaches need to find a weakness to beat. Tight ends coach Clancy Barone said that’s a fun part of the job.

“Imagine doing this from July until February, hopefully, and it’s the same thing, the same cookie cutter every day seven days a week,” Barone said. “That would get kind of old, I think. It keeps us fresh, keeps the players going. Because every team we play is going to be different.”

Preparation for the players is intense. Some weeks, a four-receiver set might be the main formation. The next, it could be three tight ends. And based on what the Broncos consider favorable matchups, any skill position player could be featured. According to McDaniels, many of the plays, formations, personnel groupings and ideals the team used beat Cleveland in Week 2 were never discussed last week before the Raiders game.

“You have to be on top of your game and put a lot of time into studying,” receiver Brandon Stokley said. “If you don’t, you’re going to be lost.”

topscribe
09-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Apparently, they've taken it down.

So kudos to you for posting it here before they did. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Shazam!
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I love Josh McDaniels.

TXBRONC
09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I am looking forward seeing what we can do against the Cowboys. No matter what the one thing that is the same week to week is if you can limit your turnovers and while forcing your opponent into mistakes your chances of winning are pretty good.

Lonestar
09-30-2009, 09:02 PM
I heard him say this same thing when he first came to town..

I did not think we had the mental capacity to do this in the players.. But so far it seems they have figured out that its a new games plan each Sunday..

And how does that team in week 6-10 game plan for our team that is evolving that may have shown 6 different concepts so far from each week.. it will drive the DC's crazy..

now I'm not sure if NE did this, if they did was it to this extreme or if it is a new concept..

But so far I'm liking it..

broncobryce
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I read the a book on the Patriots once I found out we hired McDaniels. According to the book, the Patriots did this as well. Unfortunetely the book didn't say a whole lot about Mcdaniels, but it did say NO ONE thought the Patriots had a chance in hell in 2001, and the media was absolutely crucifying Belichek saying he didn't know how to build a team. They said he got no names in free agency and didn't know what he was doing.

Lonestar
09-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I read the a book on the Patriots once I found out we hired McDaniels. According to the book, the Patriots did this as well. Unfortunetely the book didn't say a whole lot about Mcdaniels, but it did say NO ONE thought the Patriots had a chance in hell in 2001, and the media was absolutely crucifying Belichek saying he didn't know how to build a team. They said he got no names in free agency and didn't know what he was doing.

Thanks I had not seen or heard this before .. I know that firing Bledso and letting their pro bowl CB and safeties go because the wanted to much was a hell raiser in Bean town also..

Bringing in Harrison, moss and seau and some other "washed up" players I;m thinking did about the same thing..

But they have been winning TEAM football for a long time.. if we can do as well I'll be a happy camper..

frenchfan
10-01-2009, 01:49 AM
I do like our new "identity"... Be versatile, flexible, adaptable, whatever you can call this...
Of course that requires smart players because they have to adjust permanently... But when you succeed at that, it's clearly a nightmare for your opponents because that can't predict what will happen...

It's not a garantee to win... but a good weapon anyway...

You need great preparation too : coaches who are able to understand the opponents' play... who can teach... players that are receptives and smart enough to adjust...
It seems that McD and his staff know enough football to be able to run this... I don't know if we'll have a positive record or not, but I'm pretty sure we're on the good way...

Go Broncos.

Dirk
10-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Wow, I guess I am starting to think like the Pats and our new HC. As I was reading that article the only thing going through my mind was, "don't tell other teams that, why tell them what you are doing? Keep it a secret!" :mad:

:lol: