PDA

View Full Version : Jake's Retired . . . We Think

Skinny
09-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 2, 2007 06:56 PM

Trying to track down Jake Plummer is a lot like trying to catch a fly in midair while wearing oven mitts. I tried both recently - one because I was bored, the other because the boss suggested it - and trust me, both are nearly impossible.

Plummer's agent didn't return calls. One of Plummer's good friends said he had not heard from the former Arizona State, Cardinals and Broncos quarterback in months. His high school coach ran into him a while back, but the conversation was short and yielded little new information.

This much we know about Plummer: He's back in his home state of Idaho, hanging out with friends and family, playing in a lot of handball tournaments and either is about to get married or recently did, to a former Broncos cheerleader.

Plummer seems to have retired from the NFL, even though he apparently has not filed the necessary paperwork with the league or the players' union.

"I'm looking forward to hearing back from him, too," Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager Bruce Allen said. "All I can tell you is I believe Jake when he says he's retired, but I also remain hopeful he will reconsider."

The Broncos, after having anointed Jay Cutler as their starting quarterback, traded Plummer to the Buccaneers in March for a conditional pick in next year's draft. But a week after it happened, Plummer called an audible and said he was walking away from a 10-year NFL career that seemed to have so much potential.

Like things often played out on the field for Plummer, this will end in confusion and controversy.

Everyone always pointed the finger at Plummer, and a lot of times he pointed one back - at his teammates, his coaches, the media and fans. He even used his middle finger on occasion to emphasize the point. But if you look at his passing stats and compare his 10 years to Broncos Hall of Famer John Elway's first 10 NFL seasons, you might be mildly surprised.

"Look, he's been a starting quarterback for four years of high school, four years of college and 10 years in the NFL," Plummer's good friend told me. "That's a long time and a lot of pressure for a guy. Can you really blame him for wanting to walk away?

"He's doing what anyone of us would want to do - just relaxing and living life. What's wrong with that?"

Absolutely nothing. If Jake is through with football, good for him. It's his life, his decision. In a small way, he's echoing Pat Tillman's spirit and, like his late, great friend, doing what he needs to do for himself and not anybody else.

Tillman's death in Afghanistan changed Plummer forever. That's why he can walk away from a guaranteed salary of more than $5 million this year. It's why he probably doesn't care all that much if the Buccaneers and the Broncos collectively come after him for nearly $7 million in signing bonuses that are part of the three years and $16 million he has remaining on his contract.

"We respect the player," Allen said. "We'll see if we can't come to a meeting of the minds."

If Plummer stays true to his word, the issue likely would be decided by an arbitrator. The process could take months. Allen said he and coach Jon Gruden want Plummer to play, even though the Buccaneers already have a new starter in Jeff Garcia.

"My feeling is that Jake is still one of the better quarterbacks in this league, and having him, along with Jeff, would be a nice problem for us to have," Allen said.

Don't bet on it. Steve Vogel, Plummer's coach at Capital High in Boise, Idaho, said he ran into the quarterback this year and said Plummer said he is finished.

Maybe Plummer just had enough and wanted to spend time with his girlfriend, brothers and at charitable events where he always has tried to help kids.

"That's the beauty of Jake," the friend said. "It wouldn't surprise me if the next time you saw him, he had short hair and a long beard or long hair and a ponytail. You just never know with him, and I love that about him."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0902nflinsider0903.html

RunYouOver
09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Just like what you could expect when you saw him play....he's a mystery!

topscribe
09-03-2007, 04:05 PM
He used his middle finger "on occasion."

I see.

So I wonder when the second time is going to come about . . . :coffee:

-----

Snapping Turtle
09-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I love Jake. I still love Jake.

BroncoWave
09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Who's Jake Plummer? :confused:

topscribe
09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Somehow I get the feeling I'd better keep an eye on this thread . . . :confused:

-----

BroncoWave
09-03-2007, 04:17 PM
If he wants to retire... fine. Just send in the damn paperwork. Why all the drama?

Because people just can't let the story go...

topscribe
09-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh, he's still of interest to a lot of us.

It's not the story I'm worried about. It's the aftermath . . .

-----

BroncoWave
09-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Oh, he's still of interest to a lot of us.

It's not the story I'm worried about. It's the aftermath . . .

-----

True, but this article didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Wake me when he officially retires and has an arbitration hearing for the salary or when he decides to return.

RunYouOver
09-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Quick....there's still time to make a Jake Plummer related forum ;)

wylde bill
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
If he wants to retire... fine. Just send in the damn paperwork. Why all the drama?

plummer is like where's waldo .... but only to some they get pissed off when they find him and the rest complain about why we couldnt keep em

its not a good book to get for the kiddies thou

why cant people just let the man catch some fish

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
According to 950 the fan the other day, Jake did get married here in Colorado.

I can't remember what town they said it was though. Small town, not Denver. :confused:

ThunderGirl
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Good luck to Jake wherever he is and with whatever he does! :beer:

omac
09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the article, columbiaskinny. :)

Unfortunately, the writer didn't do much work on it; he probably had a late night binge, woke up the next day with 5 minutes left on his deadline, and thought to himself, "what can I make up in 5 minutes?" :D

If he has nothing else researched, he could've at least given us wedding pics, info and photos of handball tourneys he's joined, gotten opponent or fan feedback on how well he played in the handball tourneys ... if he somehow found a way to throw an interception ... did he wear a Cutler Sucks t-shirt ... anything. :cheers:

anton...
09-03-2007, 10:00 PM
jake jake jake jake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lalala::lalala::lalala::lalala:
________
Buy E Cigarettes (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

GEM
09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
At this point, who cares?? That isn't a negative towards Jake.

The guy gave us 32-11. The guy gave us a few good seasons. The guy did this while having the Denver population on his back. We traded him. He's off enjoying life. The responsible thing would be to file the paperwork, but really what business is it of any of us.

We had the right to nitpick when he was playing for us. He left, he's moved on and so should we.

Just my 2 cents.

Broncomania96
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I dont really inderstand why you guys hate Jake so much. He gave you a few good seasons and lead you all the way to the AFCCG. Why is there so much hate for a guy who helped you guys out and nearly took you to the superbowl?

BroncoWave
09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I dont really inderstand why you guys hate Jake so much. He gave you a few good seasons and lead you all the way to the AFCCG. Why is there so much hate for a guy who helped you guys out and nearly took you to the superbowl?

Because he fell apart in that AFCCG and it carried over into last season. And BTW, he only had one really good season, not a few.

Broncomania96
09-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Because he fell apart in that AFCCG and it carried over into last season. And BTW, he only had one really good season, not a few.

But he still took you guys there to begin with and lead you guys to a 13-3 record. Colts fans didnt hate Peyton when he chocked in the playoffs year after year and blew there chance to go to the superbowl. He won it but the colts fans stuck by him and werent booing him out because of one bad game.

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Oh geesh...here we go down that road again

:deadhorse:

BroncoWave
09-03-2007, 11:13 PM
But he still took you guys there to begin with and lead you guys to a 13-3 record. Colts fans didnt hate Peyton when he chocked in the playoffs year after year and blew there chance to go to the superbowl. He won it but the colts fans stuck by him and werent booing him out because of one bad game.

I'm not getting into this argument again so these are my last words on the topic...LOL at comparing Plummer to Manning.

Tned
09-03-2007, 11:27 PM
At this point, who cares?? That isn't a negative towards Jake.

The guy gave us 32-11. The guy gave us a few good seasons. The guy did this while having the Denver population on his back. We traded him. He's off enjoying life. The responsible thing would be to file the paperwork, but really what business is it of any of us.

We had the right to nitpick when he was playing for us. He left, he's moved on and so should we.

Just my 2 cents.

I agreed with everythng you said accept the paperwork. The fiscally smart thing to do for him and his new family (wife and baby I believe) is to do what his lawyer and tax professionals tell him to do. Clearly, that is to not file his paperwork. For all we know, the union might also be telling him not to file the paperwork, as there was talk at one point of the union trying to file a grievance not per se on Jake's behalf, but likely trying to set some kind of precedent in what clubs can and can't do in these situations (when a player has announced his intention to retire).

Crush05
09-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey what happened to the Official no Jake thread....... has it been ignored?:eek::ahhhhh::scared::eviltongue:

GEM
09-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I agreed with everythng you said accept the paperwork. The fiscally smart thing to do for him and his new family (wife and baby I believe) is to do what his lawyer and tax professionals tell him to do. Clearly, that is to not file his paperwork. For all we know, the union might also be telling him not to file the paperwork, as there was talk at one point of the union trying to file a grievance not per se on Jake's behalf, but likely trying to set some kind of precedent in what clubs can and can't do in these situations (when a player has announced his intention to retire).

To get into this would really be getting back into the whole Jake thing, but I think I am middle of the road enough on Jake to not take it too far.

I feel that he is contractually obligated, he has announced his intent to retire. Either get into camp or file the paperwork. Really it's that simple, tax implications or not, legal implications or not. He's made the choice, he should deal with his choice and the negatives that come with it. Just my thoughts, I'm not thoroughly invested in this, as I really don't care what he does, it's his life.

Something else I have wondered. Did Tampa Bay have to keep him on their 53 man roster in order to keep the drive to go after the money alive?

Tned
09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I feel that he is contractually obligated, he has announced his intent to retire. Either get into camp or file the paperwork. Really it's that simple, tax implications or not, legal implications or not. He's made the choice, he should deal with his choice and the negatives that come with it. Just my thoughts, I'm not thoroughly invested in this, as I really don't care what he does, it's his life.

I certainly don't want to get into it either, with us a week away from Cutler ball.

However, let me at least explain what I meant. There are many factors that we don't even know about. For instance, based on the dollars thrown around, TB/DEN is going after a portion of all bonus money paid to Jake. However, part of that bonus money came when Jake agreed to drastically reduce his salaary for one or two years, and take money in the form of a bonus. Is that bonus included in what they are going after, as it is prorated bonus money?

That's what I mean, there are factors at play here that have to be worked out. Finding out exactly what he should have to repay, and what should be excluded becuase at the teams request, he converted some of his salary to bonus money.

Another factor that comes into play is state and federal tax. Of that $7million or so that has been reported that TB/DEN will be going after, Jake paid about $3.15 million in taxes to federal, and depending on the Denver state tax, proably another $500k in state taxes. So, that means that of that 7 mill they want to collect, he likelly only had about $3.4 million to start with, before any money he spent or earned on investments.

That is why he needs legal and tax advisors. He needs to know if he can refile ammended tax returns and get $3.6 million he paid in taxes back, once he has had to return salay (signing bonus money).

You have to understand, this isn't as simple as what is right, because the CBA is a convulated minefield these players and coaches walk around. If he can help it, I am sure Jake is not want that $7 million refunt to actually cost him $10.6 million.

topscribe
09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
In trying to say anything positive about Jake to some people is :banghead:

Three (3), that is, THREE good seasons Jake gave us, three playoff seasons.
Thank YOU for seeing that.

But we had months upon months of discussions about Jake, and some people
just refused to be grateful for anything he did for us. I'm glad Jake's gone, too.
But for different reasons, the most prominent that we fans did not deserve
the good things he did for us.

So we indeed need to let it go. Meanwhile, I will continue to wear my #16
Plummer jersey with pride. :salute:

-----

topscribe
09-04-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm not 100% positive, it was a while ago, but I think he flipped the first one at some reporters at the daily after practice news conference under the tree at the Card's facility.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Jake flipped the second one at MtnMan. :laugh:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

-----

sneakers
09-04-2007, 03:31 AM
I still like Jake, and I wish him well.

Skinny
09-04-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.maddenboard.com/forum/images/smilies/rackhim.gif

Crush05
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Why do we have a thread about Jake? He is not here! He is not a part of this team! We have IMO a better qb than him here now. Why can't you people let this go? HE is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

arapaho2
09-04-2007, 10:48 AM
i MUST RESIST URGE TO RESPOND!!!!!!..i must:deadhorse:

topscribe
09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Why do we have a thread about Jake? He is not here! He is not a part of this team! We have IMO a better qb than him here now. Why can't you people let this go? HE is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
Occasionally, news stories and articles are published about former Broncos
players, which is what Jake is. The stories are fine, far as I'm concerned. As I
mentioned, it is the unnecessary aftermath to these stories that I don't like.

Whenever we get a story about anyone else, responses seem to be more like
"I hope he does well" (except for Eddie Quitterson, of course). I wish people
would get to that point about former player Jake Plummer. :noidea:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Oh well, at least we got a conditional pick (seventh) for a guy who didn't even show up!

Yeah!

broncos9697
09-04-2007, 12:28 PM
plummer was a great QB he in denver just look at his stats and record..
he just had trouble winning close games he had a heck of a time taking control of the game..
But i will always love jack and hopefully he'ss come back and i'll get to watch him again...

Crush05
09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Occasionally, news stories and articles are published about former Broncos
players, which is what Jake is. The stories are fine, far as I'm concerned. As I
mentioned, it is the unnecessary aftermath to these stories that I don't like.

Whenever we get a story about anyone else, responses seem to be more like
"I hope he does well" (except for Eddie Quitterson, of course). I wish people
would get to that point about former player Jake Plummer. :noidea:

-----

You have a point top! But there are more threads an this issue than need to be IMO. It gets old real quick.:ahhhhh:

Crush05
09-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I also thought new boards, new subjects not the same old :deadhorse: and the :worship: threads that went on over on BM. I do not mind a good thread on an old player once in a while but this is just ....... well nevermind!:ahhhhh:

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 02:10 PM
You have a point top! But there are more threads an this issue than need to be IMO. It gets old real quick.

Where is another one on this board?? :confused:

I also thought new boards, new subjects not the same old :deadhorse: and the threads that went on over on BM. I do not mind a good thread on an old player once in a while but this is just ....... well nevermind

Again, where is another thread on this board that has Jakes name in the title?

Oh yeah, there is that one thread that YOU YOURSELF created!!!

:aetsch:

In-com-plete
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM

You're taking the wrong route my man. Someone out there is gonna throw the "Are you comparing Plummer to Manning??? Hahaha" post at you. Guaranteed!

10 seconds later....
Told ya.

Crush05
09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Where is another one on this board?? :confused:

Again, where is another thread on this board that has Jakes name in the title?

Oh yeah, there is that one thread that YOU YOURSELF created!!!

:aetsch:

WTM as usuall your annoying just like you were over at BM. Yes I started that in hopes that we would not have to go through the bs threads throughout the year on Jake as we have over in BM. Enough is enough already!He is a has been! He is gone! Let it go!

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
WTM as usuall your annoying just like you were over at BM. Yes I started that in hopes that we would not have to go through the bs threads throughout the year on Jake as we have over in BM. Enough is enough already!He is a has been! He is gone! Let it go!

Bro, I am just messing with you...thus the --->:aetsch: <---- smilie.

Thats fine though. Say what you want, I will just now give you the...

:eviltongue:

Crush05
09-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Bro, I am just messing with you...thus the --->:aetsch: <---- smilie.

Thats fine though. Say what you want, I will just now give you the...

:eviltongue:

LOL well once again we seem to bump heads in a way that was not meant to. I like to read your posts WTM and if I came across the incorrect way by dishing it back out to ya. I apologize!:beer:

Crush05
09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Plus if you look at the majority of my posts here they all have been fun.

Skinny
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh well, at least we got a conditional pick (seventh) for a guy who didn't even show up!

Yeah!True! And that works for me! You can never have too much ammo going into the draft and that may certainly help us.

KCL
09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I heard he was on his way to Kansas City cause they are in

need of a QB.........:laugh:

Oh wait a minute...thats not funny....that sad :(

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I heard he was on his way to Kansas City cause they are in

need of a QB.........:laugh:

Oh wait a minute...thats not funny....that sad :(

You could only be so lucky.

:coffee: