PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos ranked#1 Jeff sagrin rankings

DenverDude88
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone we are ranked number 1 in the Jeff sagrin ratings.I am tired of biases sports writers ranking us unfairly. The computer uses statistics and you cannot argue with that! If anyone in power polls gives us no respect we can show them the computer ratings that go on statistics. And if they say that does not matter we can simply say their power polls do not matter either were 3-0 go broncos

DenverDude88
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl09.htm here is the link was excited I forgot Broncos ranked number 1 goooooo broncos

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone we are ranked number 1 in the Jeff sagrin ratings.I am tired of biases sports writers ranking us unfairly. The computer uses statistics and you cannot argue with that! If anyone in power polls gives us no respect we can show them the computer ratings that go on statistics. And if they say that does not matter we can simply say their power polls do not matter either were 3-0 go broncos

There are biases in computer rankings as well. There are biases in everything. You have biases. Sportswriters have biases (though, for the most part they are much more objective than any fan). Everything has a bias in it.

While we are 3-0, I can't possibly see what would make you think we are the best team in the NFL.

And finally, if you're just going to whine about it, why the hell do you read Power Polls and then waste bandwidth whining about Power Polls?

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey, look everyone, we beat the best 0-3 team in the NFL, but then we beat the worst 1-2 team in the NFL...and Cincy is the 11th best team in the NFL.

:woot:

:championship:

claymore
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM
There are biases in computer rankings as well. There are biases in everything. You have biases. Sportswriters have biases (though, for the most part they are much more objective than any fan). Everything has a bias in it.

While we are 3-0, I can't possibly see what would make you think we are the best team in the NFL.

And finally, if you're just going to whine about it, why the hell do you read Power Polls and then waste bandwidth whining about Power Polls?

Anything less than a SuperBowl is a let down,.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Anything less than a SuperBowl is a let down,.

For who?

The Bears?

I had spaghetti for lunch. With some sour-dough bread. Good stuff, clay, good stuff.

claymore
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
For who?

The Bears?

I had spaghetti for lunch. With some sour-dough bread. Good stuff, clay, good stuff.

Wheat noodles I hope.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Wheat noodles I hope.

Whole Wheat, yes sir. And low-sugar Spaghetti sauce. Always healthy.

honz
09-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not entirely sure of what is going on here. I'd say that there is a 50-50 chance that MO is high on acid right now.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm not entirely sure of what is going on here. I'd say that there is a 50-50 chance that MO is high on acid right now.

Candy Bars!

claymore
09-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Whole Wheat, yes sir. And low-sugar Spaghetti sauce. Always healthy.

I didnt even know they made low sugar spaggetti sauce. :leftarmgoingnumb:

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I didnt even know they made low sugar spaggetti sauce. :leftarmgoingnumb:

"No sugar added."

Lonestar
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Lets get

:focus:

WARHORSE
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
First game of the season, we beat a Cincy club that has taken down the Packers and the Steelers in consecutive weeks.

Held them scoreless for 59 minutes.

First live action for our offense under the new system/scheme.

First live action for our defense under the new system/scheme.

Cincy has had the same schemes in place for awhile now.

I take that as good news, and a reason to look forward with enthusiasm.

The BRONCOS are hosting the Cowbelles.

Bring it on.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
All I know or care about is that we are 3 - 0 - and unlike some other games in previous years, we did NOT play DOWN to the level of the teams we were playing, and I am not sure if we were favored in any of those games. I know the odds in LV for last week's game had the Raiders favored.

DenverDude88
09-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I really Believe we are Super Bowl Contenders. And for the fans that do not Shame on YOU

DenverDude88
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Also Strength of schedule is factored into the formula which means it factors in every team we have played

claymore
09-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I really Believe we are Super Bowl Contenders. And for the fans that do not Shame on YOU

I like your Swagger.

Lonestar
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
well shame on me as Right now I do not have the faith that this team can match up to the upcoming teams on this schedule.. although DAL may be the first legit test of it..

FWIW I have been a loyal Broncos fan since 1960 probably before you were born..

Also there is an edit function lower right side of your posts you can and SHOULD use it instead of posting and then posting again..

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Also Strength of schedule is factored into the formula which means it factors in every team we have played

Well. .. not really.

The Sagarin rating is a combination of ELO chess, and Pure Points.

ELO chess only considers wins and losses. Pure Points factors in margin of victory and strength of schedule (I think I'm right on that).

We are #2 on the Pure Points category, which Sagarin himself says is the best indicator of future wins when compared to other teams.

Still a great rating! And we are strong enough on ELO chess to be #1 there by enough of a margin that when combined we are #1. This is cool, but in the end, it's just a computer formula, and one that gets more valid with more data (i.e. more games played). Sagarin ratings mean quite a lot at the end of the season, but not so much during the first five games.

Lonestar
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Well. .. not really.

ELO chess only considers wins and losses. Pure Points factors in margin of victory and strength of schedule (I think I'm right on that).

We are #2 on the Pure Points category, which Sagarin himself says is the best indicator of future wins when compared to other teams.

Still a great rating! And we are strong enough on ELO chess to be #1 there by enough of a margin that when combined we are #1. This is cool, but in the end, it's just a computer formula, and one that gets more valid with more data (i.e. more games played). Sagarin ratings mean quite a lot at the end of the season, but not so much during the first five games.

thanks for your explaination lets hope Dendude will post this each week to let us know how we are doing..

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks for your explaination lets hope Dendude will post this each week to let us know how we are doing..

Or just go to the USA Today Sagarin page. I look at it each week.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
All I know or care about is that we are 3 - 0 - and unlike some other games in previous years, we did NOT play DOWN to the level of the teams we were playing, and I am not sure if we were favored in any of those games. I know the odds in LV for last week's game had the Raiders favored.

I'm sure we're remain the underdog for several more games come regardless of how we do. But I really don't care as long as Denver can keep winning.

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Also. .. just an FYI, but based on Sagarin's ratings here we are prohibitive favorites to beat the Cowboys.

Broncos = 27.06

Cowboys = 22.99

Factor in 3.18 points for homefield advantage, and our scoring indicates 30.24 vs. 22.99 for the Cowboys.

That doesn't mean at all that this will be the score, but the bigger the margin, the bigger the favorite. An 8-point favorite (based on ratings) is big.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Also. .. just an FYI, but based on Sagarin's ratings here we are prohibitive favorites to beat the Cowboys.

Broncos = 27.06

Cowboys = 22.99

Factor in 3.18 points for homefield advantage, and our scoring indicates 30.24 vs. 22.99 for the Cowboys.

That doesn't mean at all that this will be the score, but the bigger the margin, the bigger the favorite. An 8-point favorite (based on ratings) is big.

:championship:

Bronco Warrior
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]

FWIW I have been a loyal Broncos fan since 1960 probably before you were born..[COLOR="Orange"]

Damn! I though I was old!! How old when you found the truth?

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Broncos = 27.06

Cowboys = 22.99

Well I hope we can go 4-0 for the first quarter of the season. If we do our chances of getting to the playoffs go up dramatically.

AlWilsonizKING
09-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh no.......someone has hope for the Broncos and posted something positive about them.....SHOOT 'EM DOWN, SHOOT 'EM DOWN.:rolleyes:

There is no room for positivity in this forum or this world.......why would anyone believe we are good. What sort of FAN would think such a thing?????

I mean we are not supposed to think our team is good.....even going 3-0 should be considered lucky, seeing as we are a terrible team.....

/sarcasim......:rolleyes:

GO BRONCOS!!!!!

PEACE!!!

Slick
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
This guy's ratings mean as much as Coach's. I enjoy reading them, but it's not like it really means anything.

FFS Mo, lighten up.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 03:14 PM
This guy's ratings mean as much as Coach's. I enjoy reading them, but it's not like it really means anything.

FFS Mo, lighten up.

Like you I don't put much stock in power rankings. They're interesting to read but really don't mean much.

DenverDude88
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM

FFS Mo, lighten up.

Jeff Sagrin Rankings Are computers! Its not a guy! The Ratings are used in College football that play a significant factor in the BCS! My point in all this is people take power rankings from espn or sportsline where people like prisco say who is the best team and other people take it as fact when the jeff sagrin ratings are formulas by computers that factor is statistics strength of schedule ect. Strength of schedule is factored in on one side of the formula. So how can people take extremely biased meaningless rankings picked out of a hat seriously? If you were to take any poll seriously it would be one of these computer polls because they use mathmatics and statistics. So in my opinion the Broncos are extremely under rated. And the sad thing is alot of our fans underate us as well.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Jeff Sagrin Rankings Are computers! Its not a guy! The Ratings are used in College football that play a significant factor in the BCS! My point in all this is people take power rankings from espn or sportsline where people like prisco say who is the best team and other people take it as fact when the jeff sagrin ratings are formulas by computers that factor is statistics strength of schedule ect. Strength of schedule is factored in on one side of the formula. So how can people take extremely biased meaningless rankings picked out of a hat seriously? If you were to take any poll seriously it would be one of these computer polls because they use mathmatics and statistics. So in my opinion the Broncos are extremely under rated. And the sad thing is alot of our fans underate us as well.

Who is taking Prisco as fact?

The Sagrin Rankings are one way of factoring various statistics into a power poll. There is bias in it as well.

Ultimately, rankings mean nothing because this isn't college football.

Slick
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM

I guess the difference is I really don't care what a guy or a computer thinks about my football team, but you seem to, and that's quite all right.

Go Broncos. War Mike Nolan.

FanInAZ
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I love my Broncos, but there is no way that they have any buisness being ranked #1.

Day1BroncoFan
09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
The Broncos are ranked #1 by me too but I don't think anyone other than myself cares.

:whoknows:

Superchop 7
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I'll go with the guys that said, we will be 2-1 or 3-0 at this point.

Then lose 4 out of the next 5.

In Cincy, they had no idea what they were going to get, SHOULD have won the game.

Next 2 games, we played horrible teams.

Better hope for some snow.

Dean
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Geez Mo Bronc, can you say overreaction?

:questionmark:

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Geez Mo Bronc, can you say overreaction?

:questionmark:

I don't think I over-reacted at all. One post stating the obvious fact that people whine and whine and whine about where the Broncos are at in Power Rankings that don't matter, when in reality, there's usually a pretty good reason for why they are where they are. Look at any Power Poll thread on this site.

:noidea:

I don't expect my opinion to be a popular one on this issue because its apparently easier to bitch about the media than it is to understand what the purpose of each article is. That, apparently, is too hard to understand.

gobroncsnv
09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
All we can ask for now is being 3-0. Ain't nobody better, cuz nobody CAN be... (insert playoffs caveat here...)

Simple Jaded
09-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Where do the computers get the info they base their rankings on?.......

CrazyHorse
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Well that's pretty awesome! Hope we stay #1.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Where do the computers get the info they base their rankings on?.......

Biased decisions on which stats to input.

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm Number 1 in the "Don't give a Sh!t about Power Polls" Power Poll! Oh Crap! That poll is probablly biased too!

T.K.O.
09-30-2009, 01:05 PM
i have been sick for a couple days and just read this thread......:shocked:
i cant believe the way this poor dude who just wanted to give the broncos their props for being undefeated has been "jumped on" by alledged bronco fans....its pathetic!
im gonna go take a nap and when i get back you guys had better have been nice!:tsk:
some of you should go start a thread about how we are the worst /luckiest 3-0 team in the league if thats what floats your boat.
but to jump all over dude for stating what a computer has formulated.....gheesh almost sounds more like a raider board sometimes than a bronco forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dogfish
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Well. .. not really.

Broncos = 27.06

Cowboys = 22.99

so does this mean we're going to the super bowl??

:shocked:

I guess the difference is I really don't care what a guy or a computer thinks about my football team, but you seem to, and that's quite all right.

Go Broncos. War Mike Nolan.

i love you. . . . :elefant:

Dean
09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
so does this mean we're going to the super bowl??

:shocked:

Yes, Dog, it undoubtably does. :D

i love you. . . . :elefant:

:listen:

Tned-Mobile
09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
i cant believe the way this poor dude who just wanted to give the broncos their props for being undefeated has been "jumped on" by alledged bronco fans....its pathetic!
im gonna go take a nap and when i get back you guys had better have been nice!:tsk:
some of you should go start a thread about how we are the worst /luckiest 3-0 team in the league if thats what floats your boat.
but to jump all over dude for stating what a computer has formulated.....gheesh almost sounds more like a raider board sometimes than a bronco forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First we had the fan police, jumping on people for having an opinion on the team different than their own, or the 'popular' one.

Now, we have the poll/rankings police, that are bashing people for posting power rankings.

What's next? Do we start trashing people for having avvies or sigs that aren't popular (No poodle cracks :mad:)?

I thought a variety of opinions and viewpoints was supposed to be what made a message board interesting... :confused:

TXBRONC
09-30-2009, 08:46 PM

I just don't put a lot a stock in power polls. It's nice to get the love but I'm more interested in the results on the field.