PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys fan for serious game talk....

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Not looking to talk smack or anything, just looking for some insightful game discussion. You guys have a good team this year and I am looking forward to our matchup. A lot of my fellow cowboy fans feel as some of your fans do, that your team is overrated and that we will beat you easily.

I on the other hand know that this is the NFL and it will be a hard fought game. I think that our run game will be one of the best in the NFL. Barber will be back for this game, and Choice is no slouch. At this point I dont think Felix will be playing so thats a plus for you guys.

Our defense seems to be Jeckle and Hyde. You never know which one is going to show up. Brandon Marshall is a heck of a receiver and I know that we will have issues stopping him if your HC will actually use him like he should.

Elvis Dumerville is a real fit at the 3-4 OLB, you guys should have used this system a long time ago.

If any of you have any interest in posting on a cowboys board about the game as well please feel free to let me know. We have an open minded board that enjoys having fans of opposition around. I don't want to just post a link to it without permission.

GO COWBOYS!

CoachChaz
09-29-2009, 12:04 PM
It'll be fun to watch. Trying to surround myself with as many Broncs fans as poosible amidst a sea of Cowboys fans.

Feel free to post the link. I'll take the heat if there is any

Tned-Mobile
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Welcome to BroncosForums.

I'm living around Cowboy fans as well. Was talking about the Cowboys at lunch.

Right now it looks like Jones will be out, and maybe Barber. Good for the Broncos, not for the Cowboys.

While you will see a lot of posts on this message board about how the Broncos will win this game easily, I think the truth is that most of us know this will be a tough game, and the cowboys are the first real test we are going to face (both sides of the ball) to see how good our team really is.

Day1BroncoFan
09-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm giving the Broncos a slight edge because they are playing well and improving each week and it's at home.

The Broncos need to score on the times they get the chance or it could be a long day.

I expect it to be a battle.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Yea, I think you guys were lucky to beat Cinci, but hung in the game closely till the end. I also think that you did what you should have done in beating CLE and OAK. I look forward to the matchup and some great conversation!

http://absolutecowboys.com/index.php

Hope to see some of you there!

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm giving the Broncos a slight edge because they are playing well and improving each week and it's at home.

The Broncos need to score on the times they get the chance or it could be a long day.

I expect it to be a battle.
I expect the line to be broncos +3 so I agree with you. Cowboys will have to play an excellent game and will have to keep Tony OHNO off the field for this one. If the good Romo shows up you guys could be in trouble.

FanInAZ
09-29-2009, 12:22 PM
This site was as horrible as during this past off season as the Seahawks uniforms last Sunday. The Cutler & Marshall disputes had many of our fans at each others throats. I was one that advocated that we should wait and see how the team actually plays once the season started before branding McD the worst coach in the history of the NFL. Most of us this site are finally starting to realize that McD may be a better coach & Orton a better QB then half this site assumed before the season started. There are still a couple of hold out who still refuse to believe in McD.

There is also the realization that a soft schedule and a lucky play are factors in us being 3-0. Never-the-less, we are 3-0. We have a defense that is not just better then last year's, which isn't saying much, but far better then expected. We have quality RBs that can move the rock. Our QB doesn't turn the ball over. Finally, our O-line line is doing a great job. Some of us are actually daring to believe that this team could win the West.

Day1BroncoFan
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
If we can pressure Romo he will get flustered and toss us the ball. :D

If we can't get pressure on him it may be a long day. It doesn't look right now like our O can trade scores unless they come up with a way to get 7 instead of 3 in the red zone.

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Welcome!

I'm not sure how we could be considered over-rated as the only national media comments we hear are about how we're either a fluke, or the worst 3-0 team ever. But that's neither here nor there.

This will be a real test for both our teams. The key will be on defense I believe. I don't imagine that we'll hold you to our average so far of 5.8 points per game, but in order for us to win we have to keep your offensive output at least manageable.

Cincinatti has a good defense, and we struggle to put points on the board. If your defense can do the same we will have an extremely tough time winning this game.

Good luck. It will be a fun game to watch!

FanInAZ
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I expect the line to be broncos +3 so I agree with you. Cowboys will have to play an excellent game and will have to keep Tony OHNO off the field for this one. If the good Romo shows up you guys could be in trouble.

What about Barber, is he going to be back?

Bronco Warrior
09-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Civil to a Cowboys fan? I'll try lol! Barber will be back if you are lucky and won't be 100% and Jones is out right? Choice is a sproles ..hurt you in spots but can't carry the load. Next we shut down your only viable receiver Tony's BFF Witten with BDawk and Hill. The Wides don't have a prayer against Champ and Goodeman, and if your line thinks they will slow down the pass rush I got some swampland I can sell them! Unlike Buster Russell Tony Romo with go down in a stiff breeze!! won't have to ride him down like a steer wrestler just bump him!

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Glad to have you here and let's talk some football.

You mentioned that you don't think Felix will be playing Sunday how come?

OldschoolFreak
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Not that there's much merit to the dominance we've shown thus far given the meager quality of opponents but I fear we might be in for a letdown after feeling some wind in the sails for the first time in a very long time.

I hope I'm wrong though and frankly, this game is a big test. Not in terms of the match ups per se but in the psychology of it. A late 2000s Shannahan team loses this game after getting too high on itself over nothing. My sense is that Josh has the ability to maybe keep that from happening. I hope he does because, without any disrespect to the Cowboys, I think this should be a winnable game. The two teams on paper are I think pretty evenly matched as perhaps slightly above middle of the pack league-wide. So this is a situation where the home team should be able to pull it out with sheer toughness. I'm not sure we have that toughness yet though there are some indications we might be close.

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2009, 12:29 PM

He strained his knee last night. Tweets today say he probably won't be ready to play by Sunday.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
He strained his knee last night. Tweets today say he probably won't be ready to play by Sunday.

That could be helpful.

Bronco Warrior
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey otherthan all that you guys should be fine!

honz
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry, but the Cowboys are going to get rocked. No trash talk here, just the facts. ;)

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:39 PM
What about Barber, is he going to be back?
He is supposed to be, but I am hearing something about Barber not even going to the game last night because he wanted to play. If this is true I don't think they would suspend him but it cant be a good sign. I certainly hope he will be because he is the heart and soul of our offense, but Tashard Choice is a guy a lot of people are going to be mad that they passed on as well. The guy is a heck of a player. I'll stop short of saying we wont miss a beat if he has to carry the load, but this is the one position we can afford to have injuries at.

underrated29
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
If we can shut down your run game we will be fine. if we cant then it is going to be a long hard battle.

Barber- if run right at us, can do some serious damage. I hope we game plan well for him. I am not worried about choice and unfortunately for you felix is hurt. I love Felix!- He is a gamer. Big loss for you guys. Very very gald to see we wont face him.

I dont know whats with your defense, but from what i have seen. Knowshon and bucky should have a good day running at your d. You pass defense looks alright and our pass offense is just barely alright.

If your team can do what my team should do, shut down the run, then this could be a low scoring field position defensive battle.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Civil to a Cowboys fan? I'll try lol! Barber will be back if you are lucky and won't be 100% and Jones is out right? Choice is a sproles ..hurt you in spots but can't carry the load. Next we shut down your only viable receiver Tony's BFF Witten with BDawk and Hill. The Wides don't have a prayer against Champ and Goodeman, and if your line thinks they will slow down the pass rush I got some swampland I can sell them! Unlike Buster Russell Tony Romo with go down in a stiff breeze!! won't have to ride him down like a steer wrestler just bump him!

Choice isnt as fast as sproles, but is tougher. He has proven that he can in fact carry the load last season when he was forced to do just that against Baltimore and Pittsburg. I wouldn't underestimate him.

We shut out the vaunted Giants pass rush, so I really wouldnt think that you guys will dominate us or anything. Our OL is playing the best it has since 2007. The only thing that worries me about our OL is the stupid penalties.

Jamarcus Russell is a joke of an NFL QB and I cant believe that the raiders cut Garcia. He was their best chance to do something this year. I look at it like this. If Tony has to win the game for us, we could be in trouble....I like his current role as the bus driver.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
This site was as horrible as during this past off season as the Seahawks uniforms last Sunday. The Cutler & Marshall disputes had many of our fans at each others throats. I was one that advocated that we should wait and see how the team actually plays once the season started before branding McD the worst coach in the history of the NFL. Most of us this site are finally starting to realize that McD may be a better coach & Orton a better QB then half this site assumed before the season started. There are still a couple of hold out who still refuse to believe in McD.

There is also the realization that a soft schedule and a lucky play are factors in us being 3-0. Never-the-less, we are 3-0. We have a defense that is not just better then last year's, which isn't saying much, but far better then expected. We have quality RBs that can move the rock. Our QB doesn't turn the ball over. Finally, our O-line line is doing a great job. Some of us are actually daring to believe that this team could win the West.

I was onboard with what McDaniels did in the long run but not the way he handled it initially. To me Cutler is a quality player, but he the Diabetes thing got in the way. Granted it can be controlled easily, but having grown up with them they can be tempermental at times. His talent is undenyable, but the two first round picks and Orten seemed like a good way to start over fresh to me.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Felix has a slight sprain in his knee, and is going for an MRI today. With the depth at the position I expect the Cowboys to be overly cautious just like they were with Barber last week.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Choice isnt as fast as sproles, but is tougher. He has proven that he can in fact carry the load last season when he was forced to do just that against Baltimore and Pittsburg. I wouldn't underestimate him.

We shut out the vaunted Giants pass rush, so I really wouldnt think that you guys will dominate us or anything. Our OL is playing the best it has since 2007. The only thing that worries me about our OL is the stupid penalties.

Jamarcus Russell is a joke of an NFL QB and I cant believe that the raiders cut Garcia. He was their best chance to do something this year. I look at it like this. If Tony has to win the game for us, we could be in trouble....I like his current role as the bus driver.

Nolan wont let his defense underestimate the Cowboys offense. If the Cowboys can't get their running game going I like our chances of winning this game especially if we can force the Cowboys into mistakes.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Not that there's much merit to the dominance we've shown thus far given the meager quality of opponents but I fear we might be in for a letdown after feeling some wind in the sails for the first time in a very long time.

I hope I'm wrong though and frankly, this game is a big test. Not in terms of the match ups per se but in the psychology of it. A late 2000s Shannahan team loses this game after getting too high on itself over nothing. My sense is that Josh has the ability to maybe keep that from happening. I hope he does because, without any disrespect to the Cowboys, I think this should be a winnable game. The two teams on paper are I think pretty evenly matched as perhaps slightly above middle of the pack league-wide. So this is a situation where the home team should be able to pull it out with sheer toughness. I'm not sure we have that toughness yet though there are some indications we might be close.

Which ever way this game goes, I think it will be a close one with a margin of no more then 7 points. I think a lot of people are underestimating how much you guys have improved from last season because of who you have played. I look at the cinci game and I am impressed with your defense. Even the steelers couldnt hold the bengals down when it counted.

Should be a good one. Cowboys havent played well in Denver for some time, so I do give you guys the edge. It will come down to who makes the most big plays. Neither team has done a lot of that this season so I think it could be a toss up.

DenBronx
09-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Demarcus Ware is who i'm worried about. I think Clady will do a good job against him though, who has allowed no full sacks since he came into the league. If Ware doesn't show up or struggles against Clady we will put points on the board. I do like our new offense and know we won't have trouble moving the ball.

On defense, we have allowed only 13 points in 3 games. You guys don't have T.O. anymore and no one is scared of Roy Williams. Whitten is the guy who we need to shut down. Our D is designed to bring pressure on the QB and stop the run. Losing Felix will hurt but like you said, Choice is no slouch. I think it comes down to who is going to have the better run game. Denver had 198 yards rushing last game and Dallas had 176 against two decent defenses. Buckhalter is averaging almost 8 yards per carry while Felix was averaging 11.

Should be a great game and I'm glad we're not playing in Dallas this year.

Tned-Mobile
09-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Which ever way this game goes, I think it will be a close one with a margin of no more then 7 points. I think a lot of people are underestimating how much you guys have improved from last season because of who you have played. I look at the cinci game and I am impressed with your defense. Even the steelers couldnt hold the bengals down when it counted.

Should be a good one. Cowboys havent played well in Denver for some time, so I do give you guys the edge. It will come down to who makes the most big plays. Neither team has done a lot of that this season so I think it could be a toss up.

While I am one of the people that is guarding my optimism until we see how we fair against Dal, NE and SD, this is something that a Broncos blogger posted.

Many say BAL is the number one team in NFL, yet they've beaten KC, SD & CLE. Denver beat CIN, CLE & OAK and are considered pretenders? Hmm.

Shazam!
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Romo will be running for his life.

The crowd will be hostile. Broncos fans are buying in.

People can say what they want about Denver's opponents, but Carolina is grasshopper status too and Tampa is staggering so the same can be said about their W's too

It all happens in cycles. Denver is long due.

Dallas is going to get destroyed.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry, but the Cowboys are going to get rocked. No trash talk here, just the facts. ;)

I dont think so, the game will be close either way. Oh by the way. Just for the record. Since I came here I am not one of those guys who won't show up after a loss. Win or lose I will come back.

Tell me why you think you will blow us out.

Tned-Mobile
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Does Ware typically line up on the right side, against the left tackle? Or, does he move around?

DenBronx
09-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Does Ware typically line up on the right side, against the left tackle? Or, does he move around?

I think he moves around. He seems to be very versatile....If he switches to Harris it might work because Harris has a bum ankle doesnt he?

Kaylore
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Hello and welcome! I think you will have your hands full, and while we probably look a little better than we are because of our competition, we still held Cincy to seven points and we're still beating the "bad" teams by three touchdown margins. I think you'll agree that bad teams let other bad teams at least hang around and we're dominating them. So I think at worst we're an average football team.

My thoughts on the matchup:

You guys have a pretty potent offense; Lots of yardage and lots of points. Most of those have come on the ground. The Achilles heel there, if there is one, is the turnovers and penalties, many at crucial periods and the seemingly less confident play of Tony Romo. Did you guys know you're in the top ten for penalty yards? That's a dicipline issue and probably has something to do with Wade being notoriously soft on his players. I think when Romo plays within himself he does much better. He needs to let the talent around him take over and just take the big shots when they're there.

On defense the Cowboys are kind of enigmatic considering the talent. Until yesterday they were the only team in the NFL to not register a sack. Many came when the Panthers were in must pass situations, and against bad players like Jeff Otah, who I think is the second coming of George Foster. I think this lack of pressure is why your pass defense looks so bad. I also think your secondary is pretty soft and doesn't seem to do well against more physical receivers. They have struggled to get turnovers and it took playing a guy who is averaging three interceptions a game for you guys to finally get one. Overall I am not scared of your back four.

The front seven seems to be underachieving as well. They are statistically middle of the road against the run. And what's odd is that usually when one area of defense is weak, the other statistically shows to be stronger because other offenses don't try to attack it as much. You guys can stop the run when you want to, but it seems like you'll have a few good stops and then suddenly things break down. This is probably partially due to poor safety play and not maintaining gap integrity, but it has to be something of a concern. I think we all agree that the Cowboys talent-wise are better than they've shown.

Our defense is the exact opposite, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. They do a good job of making things uncomfortable for the QB. Nolan and McDaniels scheme to take away a QB's most comfortable pass plays and limit the run so it forces the QB to make throws they are not comfortable with. There are plays to be made, but they are not the first look and not to the most sure-handed player.

The back four is one of the best in the league, and some of our linebackers are really starting raise their level play, particularly Dumervil. That's half of why every QB we've played has looked pedestrian (the other half being we played the Browns and the Raiders, though with the Raiders we were trying to force them to pass because Russell sucks.) The unit plays solid across the board, but they are still smaller by NFL standards and can be worn down if you can keep them on the field. I personally think this will be your Cowboys' gameplan.

On offense we are better than we look. We've improved a little each game and are starting to come together. We rank 9th in yardage and 14th in points. More importantly we're tied for fourth in fewest penalty yards, and have only turned the ball over once. We're an efficient unit that doesn't beat itself or put it's defense in a bad position. Our offensive line is one of the best there is. Ryan Clady is currently tied for the longest streak in NFL history to not surrender a sack. Our RT Ryan Harris is injured and questionable for this week so that could be a factor, especially for a team that has struggled to sack the QB of late.

Special teams coverage is excellent. I'm not sure we've allowed a return past the 20 yard line yet. If we have, it's only been once. Our return game is another story. We have struggled to get many yards on returns, and while starting field position is decent, we aren't scaring anyone into thinking we're going to bust a long one. Our field goal kicker is hot and cold. He's nails from 40+ and ironically is less accurate inside the 30.

Intangibles: The Cowboys are coming off a nice win at home and that will boost their confidence. They are going to be on a short week and will be traveling. Wade Phillips through his career is 8-9 in games with less than a week of preparation and 3-3 in games after MNF. Interestingly, Phillips has never had to go on the road after a MNF game. Which I find surprising. So there's no track record there. I have a personal bias against dome teams and think they're a bit softer than non-dome teams. Whether that is true remains to be seen.

For the Broncos there is no history with McDaniels to judge him by with. Playing in Denver in always relatively hard because of altitude and the team's confidence is pretty high. Denver has an extra day of rest and practice, so that helps.

I think the game will be close. I think it will all come down to Romo being able to keep long drives alive and wear down our defense. If we stop the Cowboys on third down and keep the ball away from Romo we win. If not, we lose. It will come down to turnovers, third down conversion and rush defense.

Prediction: Broncos 20 Dallas 17

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM
If we can shut down your run game we will be fine. if we cant then it is going to be a long hard battle.

Barber- if run right at us, can do some serious damage. I hope we game plan well for him. I am not worried about choice and unfortunately for you felix is hurt. I love Felix!- He is a gamer. Big loss for you guys. Very very gald to see we wont face him.

I dont know whats with your defense, but from what i have seen. Knowshon and bucky should have a good day running at your d. You pass defense looks alright and our pass offense is just barely alright.

If your team can do what my team should do, shut down the run, then this could be a low scoring field position defensive battle.
Our defense has looked different every game so far. The one thing that I saw last night that encouraged me was that they actually decided to tackle in the second half. That has been a concern for us. If we tackle like we did in the first two games you guys will beat us handily. I think its all going to be about which one of our defenses show up. Your defense is nails too, but I dont see you or anyone stopping us from running the rock this year. If Romo can keep his mistakes to a minimum we will be in the game in the 4th. With this team and the way it is constructed that is all I can realistically ask for.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Yes I think that we will miss Felix, but the Barber/Choice combo can be lethal as well. I see the game playing out like you say, close as nails and a field position game. Our special teams are 100% better than last year so I think the advantage goes our way on that one.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Demarcus Ware is who i'm worried about. I think Clady will do a good job against him though, who has allowed no full sacks since he came into the league. If Ware doesn't show up or struggles against Clady we will put points on the board. I do like our new offense and know we won't have trouble moving the ball.

On defense, we have allowed only 13 points in 3 games. You guys don't have T.O. anymore and no one is scared of Roy Williams. Whitten is the guy who we need to shut down. Our D is designed to bring pressure on the QB and stop the run. Losing Felix will hurt but like you said, Choice is no slouch. I think it comes down to who is going to have the better run game. Denver had 198 yards rushing last game and Dallas had 176 against two decent defenses. Buckhalter is averaging almost 8 yards per carry while Felix was averaging 11.

Should be a great game and I'm glad we're not playing in Dallas this year.

Still dont understand why Philly let Buckhalter go, when healthy he was always a good player. I agree that Mile high is one of the best home field advantages of the NFL. If we lose, I think the altitude will play a factor. I am just glad that we got you guys early in the schedule. I was thinking it would be a December game.

Crush05
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
First thing welcome to the boards. My points of views on our up and coming game.

Defense - Denver
Offense - Toss Up
ST-Toss Up

So IMO it depends on if our offense has a complete game again this week, and which Romo shows up this week. As far as ST's go if our ST's can keep the Cowboy's pinned deep and continue to give us great field position we win a close hard fight. But if we cannot do these I think it will be Dallas in a close hard fight. Good luck to both teams.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Our defense has looked different every game so far. The one thing that I saw last night that encouraged me was that they actually decided to tackle in the second half. That has been a concern for us. If we tackle like we did in the first two games you guys will beat us handily. I think its all going to be about which one of our defenses show up. Your defense is nails too, but I dont see you or anyone stopping us from running the rock this year. If Romo can keep his mistakes to a minimum we will be in the game in the 4th. With this team and the way it is constructed that is all I can realistically ask for.

And as always turnovers.

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Great post Kaylore!!!

Bluestar76- Witten could be the MVP for you guys on offense against us. We've shown a vulnerability in trying to cover TE's to date. Could be a huge issue going against a TE like Witten.

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes I think that we will miss Felix, but the Barber/Choice combo can be lethal as well. I see the game playing out like you say, close as nails and a field position game. Our special teams are 100% better than last year so I think the advantage goes our way on that one.

Will Barber be ready to go? :welcome:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Welcome to Broncos Forums Bluestar76. I feel the Broncos have a very good chance to win this game. I have confidence in Coach McD, and his ability to put a game plan together. He does not script the first 10 - 15 plays, but his game plan is totally in place for the team that we are playing. Our defense is tough, and if on, I feel can cause problems for any NFL team.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Hello and welcome! I think you will have your hands full, and while we probably look a little better than we are because of our competition, we still held Cincy to seven points and we're still beating the "bad" teams by three touchdown margins. I think you'll agree that bad teams let other bad teams at least hang around and we're dominating them. So I think at worst we're an average football team.

My thoughts on the matchup:

You guys have a pretty potent offense; Lots of yardage and lots of points. Most of those have come on the ground. The Achilles heel there, if there is one, is the turnovers and penalties, many at crucial periods and the seemingly less confident play of Tony Romo. Did you guys know you're in the top ten for penalty yards? That's a dicipline issue and probably has something to do with Wade being notoriously soft on his players. I think when Romo plays within himself he does much better. He needs to let the talent around him take over and just take the big shots when they're there.

On defense the Cowboys are kind of enigmatic considering the talent. Until yesterday they were the only team in the NFL to not register a sack. Many came when the Panthers were in must pass situations, and against bad players like Jeff Otah, who I think is the second coming of George Foster. I think this lack of pressure is why your pass defense looks so bad. I also think your secondary is pretty soft and doesn't seem to do well against more physical receivers. They have struggled to get turnovers and it took playing a guy who is averaging three interceptions a game for you guys to finally get one. Overall I am not scared of your back four.

The front seven seems to be underachieving as well. They are statistically middle of the road against the run. And what's odd is that usually when one area of defense is weak, the other statistically shows to be stronger because other offenses don't try to attack it as much. You guys can stop the run when you want to, but it seems like you'll have a few good stops and then suddenly things break down. This is probably partially due to poor safety play and not maintaining gap integrity, but it has to be something of a concern. I think we all agree that the Cowboys talent-wise are better than they've shown.

Our defense is the exact opposite, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. They do a good job of making things uncomfortable for the QB. Nolan and McDaniels scheme to take away a QB's most comfortable pass plays and limit the run so it forces the QB to make throws they are not comfortable with. There are plays to be made, but they are not the first look and not to the most sure-handed player.

The back four is one of the best in the league, and some of our linebackers are really starting raise their level play, particularly Dumervil. That's half of why every QB we've played has looked pedestrian (the other half being we played the Browns and the Raiders, though with the Raiders we were trying to force them to pass because Russell sucks.) The unit plays solid across the board, but they are still smaller by NFL standards and can be worn down if you can keep them on the field. I personally think this will be your Cowboys' gameplan.

On offense we are better than we look. We've improved a little each game and are starting to come together. We rank 9th in yardage and 14th in points. More importantly we're tied for fourth in fewest penalty yards, and have only turned the ball over once. We're an efficient unit that doesn't beat itself or put it's defense in a bad position. Our offensive line is one of the best there is. Ryan Clady is currently tied for the longest streak in NFL history to not surrender a sack. Our RT Ryan Harris is injured and questionable for this week so that could be a factor, especially for a team that has struggled to sack the QB of late.

Special teams coverage is excellent. I'm not sure we've allowed a return past the 20 yard line yet. If we have, it's only been once. Our return game is another story. We have struggled to get many yards on returns, and while starting field position is decent, we aren't scaring anyone into thinking we're going to bust a long one. Our field goal kicker is hot and cold. He's nails from 40+ and ironically is less accurate inside the 30.

Intangibles: The Cowboys are coming off a nice win at home and that will boost their confidence. They are going to be on a short week and will be traveling. Wade Phillips through his career is 8-9 in games with less than a week of preparation and 3-3 in games after MNF. Interestingly, Phillips has never had to go on the road after a MNF game. Which I find surprising. So there's no track record there. I have a personal bias against dome teams and think they're a bit softer than non-dome teams. Whether that is true remains to be seen.

For the Broncos there is no history with McDaniels to judge him by with. Playing in Denver in always relatively hard because of altitude and the team's confidence is pretty high. Denver has an extra day of rest and practice, so that helps.

I think the game will be close. I think it will all come down to Romo being able to keep long drives alive and wear down our defense. If we stop the Cowboys on third down and keep the ball away from Romo we win. If not, we lose. It will come down to turnovers, third down conversion and rush defense.

Prediction: Broncos 20 Dallas 17

Good analysis. I think whoever forces more turnovers in t his game will win. The ball bounces differently. It seemed our defenese improved against the panthers, but it does appear that their offense in floundering. I cant wait to see how it turns out. I would reverse the score on my prediction, I think the cowboys win, but by the slimmest of margins.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Great post Kaylore!!!

Bluestar76- Witten could be the MVP for you guys on offense against us. We've shown a vulnerability in trying to cover TE's to date. Could be a huge issue going against a TE like Witten.
I think we hit a bunch underneath to open up the outside. Champ Bailey is a hell of a player when healthy. Since its early in the season I am going to assume that he is healthy. I wonder who they will put him on. Will he cover Roy Williams or will he cover Witten? I would argue both of those guys had some key receptions against the panthers that kept key drives going. Roy isn't TO and isn't going to beat you on the long ball, but he has been productive when thrown too. He is getting open as well.

Witten is Witten, I think we all know what he is capable of. If I were you guys I would plant Bailey on Witten like you used to do on Gonzo back in the day.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Will Barber be ready to go? :welcome:
Early word is yes. Supposedly he was really upset that they didnt let him play in the panthers game. I would assume that 24 is going to be on the field on Sunday.

OldschoolFreak
09-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Witten could be the MVP for you guys on offense against us. We've shown a vulnerability in trying to cover TE's to date. Could be a huge issue going against a TE like Witten.

That's a good point. I hope this gets addressed soon. What about Barrett as the big nickel brought in to shadow the receiving TE? That used to work well in the past (Sam Brandon I think?),

Slick
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
That's a good point. I hope this gets addressed soon. What about Barrett as the big nickel brought in to shadow the receiving TE? That used to work well in the past (Sam Brandon I think?),

Sam was the TE stopper, you're right, although Champ did a hell of a job on Gonzales in his first game as a Bronco

The Witten matchup will be key, as will Clady/Harris on Ware, and whoever ends up trying to block Dumervil, the guy is on fire, and playing with renewed confidence. I'm looking forward to this game. Too bad it's only Tuesday.

Good luck to your guys Bluestar, just not too much luck. ;) It's nice to know there's a few classy fans in Dallas.

Tned-Mobile
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I think he moves around. He seems to be very versatile....If he switches to Harris it might work because Harris has a bum ankle doesnt he?

Shoulder is what they initially reported.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
heres the word on felix guys....

http://absolutecowboys.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=122854#122854

blamkin86
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the board - and I agree with other posters - very classy post and it's quite refreshing to see on the internet.

I think fans are getting ramped up about this game, mainly because many folks are converting from "we suck" attitude into "well, hey we are 3-0" attitude.

So in a way, of course this isn't a must win, but it is a real test. You guys clearly are a solid squad, above average and definitely above the last two opponents.

The nay-sayers will say they told us so if we lose, but the fans who see progress will have a lot to crow about if we can win this game - which I do think we can.

Of course turnovers are a big part of every game.

My real concern (I bet that's what you're after) is scoring. The one unfortunate similarity between this team and last years is the inability to do much in the red zone.

So my prediction is, the game goes as we go in the red zone...

Bronco Warrior
09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
The early word is yes? Barber said he wouldn't miss any time at all so we know what the cowboys word is worth..lol!

Also a gimpy Barber and an untested choice are not even close to Benson, or J.Lewis, or the combo of McFadden, Bush, and Vargus. How many yards did they get again? McFaggen got 46 and was the top rusher. Their running game doesn't scare me and they only have Witten in the passing game and that fat overweight plodding line doesn't scare me! did you see that fatass tackle get run over on the screen in the redzone by his own back? Compare that to our Graham screen against a bigger faster Defense in Oakland!. We Rush5-7 and Bracket Witten with Dawkins or say Bruton or McBath and let the Corners play man and Hill over the top and Dallas is done!

Bronco Warrior
09-29-2009, 03:32 PM
And YES VERY CLASSY FOR A DALLAS FAN!!!

DenverDude88
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Not looking to talk smack or anything, just looking for some insightful game discussion. You guys have a good team this year and I am looking forward to our matchup. A lot of my fellow cowboy fans feel as some of your fans do, that your team is overrated and that we will beat you easily.

I on the other hand know that this is the NFL and it will be a hard fought game. I think that our run game will be one of the best in the NFL. Barber will be back for this game, and Choice is no slouch. At this point I dont think Felix will be playing so thats a plus for you guys.

Our defense seems to be Jeckle and Hyde. You never know which one is going to show up. Brandon Marshall is a heck of a receiver and I know that we will have issues stopping him if your HC will actually use him like he should.

Elvis Dumerville is a real fit at the 3-4 OLB, you guys should have used this system a long time ago.

If any of you have any interest in posting on a cowboys board about the game as well please feel free to let me know. We have an open minded board that enjoys having fans of opposition around. I don't want to just post a link to it without permission.

GO COWBOYS!

I do not think this will be a close game for a couple of reasons.
1. When your team usually has sucess they do well running the ball. In my opinion your three running backs are similar to the raiders running backs. So with your running game stuffed you will have to take to the air.
2. The Denver Broncos have a very good secondary and Tony Romo will be Tony Romo.
3. The games in Denver

Conclusion- I do not forsee the Cowboys being able to score more then 7 points. I think at the end when the game is over the cowboys could score another touch down or field goal. Last week we did not even punt until the fourth quarter when the game was already over. The Broncos win this gam BIG!

Final Score: Denver 31 Dallas 7

P.S. I am not talking smack this is my honest prognosis of what the outcome will be.

GO BRONCOS!!!

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the board - and I agree with other posters - very classy post and it's quite refreshing to see on the internet.

I think fans are getting ramped up about this game, mainly because many folks are converting from "we suck" attitude into "well, hey we are 3-0" attitude.

So in a way, of course this isn't a must win, but it is a real test. You guys clearly are a solid squad, above average and definitely above the last two opponents.

The nay-sayers will say they told us so if we lose, but the fans who see progress will have a lot to crow about if we can win this game - which I do think we can.

Of course turnovers are a big part of every game.

My real concern (I bet that's what you're after) is scoring. The one unfortunate similarity between this team and last years is the inability to do much in the red zone.

So my prediction is, the game goes as we go in the red zone...

What I am really after is good football conversation and I must say, you guys have certainly been much more hospitable than the guys on the panthers board last week was.

blamkin86
09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Let me flip it around then - how's your defense been in the red zone? :)

Slick
09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
What I am really after is good football conversation and I must say, you guys have certainly been much more hospitable than the guys on the panthers board last week was.

We're complete ******** to each other at various times around here but somehow we manage to be civil to fans of other teams. (Raider fans not named Devilspawn not included)

DenBronx
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
We're complete ******** to each other at various times around here but somehow we manage to be civil to fans of other teams. (Raider fans not named Devilspawn not included)

slick are you saying bronco fans didnt get along this offseason? :laugh:

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
The early word is yes? Barber said he wouldn't miss any time at all so we know what the cowboys word is worth..lol!

Its true that barber said he would play. Word is that he really wanted too and could have, but they sat him as a precaution and he was NOT happy about it.

Also a gimpy Barber and an untested choice are not even close to Benson, or J.Lewis, or the combo of McFadden, Bush, and Vargus.
Did you happen to catch the Steelers and Baltimore game last season? Choice not proven, I have to disagree. The guy is a complete runner. He blocks, he catches, and he runs and is productive. With the way our offensive line is playing almost any back could be productive in our system.

You have to be kidding throwing Jamal Lewis in there right? The Cleveland OL sucks, they cant run block or pass block. All Oakland does is run the ball. Its easy to stop a one dimensional team. I also noticed how you didn't mention Cedric Benson, I think he was pretty productive against you. That is probably a much better indicator of what your run d is like. Strong, but not unbreakable.

How many yards did they get again? McFaggen got 46 and was the top rusher. Their running game doesn't scare me and they only have Witten in the passing game and that fat overweight plodding line doesn't scare me! did you see that fatass tackle get run over on the screen in the redzone by his own back? Compare that to our Graham screen against a bigger faster Defense in Oakland!. We Rush5-7 and Bracket Witten with Dawkins or say Bruton or McBath and let the Corners play man and Hill over the top and Dallas is done!

I think you highly underestimate the other weapons in our offense. When used properly they can be highly confusing to defenses and very productive. If you rush 5-7 all day we will kill you with screens and slants.

I think this game will be much closer than you think.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Our redzone D hasnt been great I will admit, but I think that this team is just finding its identity on defense. I am interested to see how it all turns out in the long run.

DenBronx
09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I like Barber and when healthy he's a real threat to the other team. I'm also a bit nervous of Tashard Choice. I was hoping the Broncos were going to draft him awhile back. He's going to get a real chance the next 3-4 weeks with Felix out to show what he's made of. Lets hope he doesn't take advantage until week 5. :beer:

Slick
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Our redzone D hasnt been great I will admit, but I think that this team is just finding its identity on defense. I am interested to see how it all turns out in the long run.

I'm still surprised you guys got rid of Zim. I always thought he was a heck of a coach. He's doing a fine job in Cincy.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I do not think this will be a close game for a couple of reasons.
1. When your team usually has sucess they do well running the ball. In my opinion your three running backs are similar to the raiders running backs. So with your running game stuffed you will have to take to the air.
2. The Denver Broncos have a very good secondary and Tony Romo will be Tony Romo.
3. The games in Denver

Conclusion- I do not forsee the Cowboys being able to score more then 7 points. I think at the end when the game is over the cowboys could score another touch down or field goal. Last week we did not even punt until the fourth quarter when the game was already over. The Broncos win this gam BIG!

Final Score: Denver 31 Dallas 7

P.S. I am not talking smack this is my honest prognosis of what the outcome will be.

GO BRONCOS!!!

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, To compare us to the raiders is ridiculous. The threat of the pass from the raiders is secondary. If you can cover their TE then you have them done.

Our team is much different than that. If you stack the line to stop our run game we can beat you with the pass game. If you honestly think this I believe that you are being naive. The Raiders OL is no where near ours. Flozell is good for a few penalties a game, but he is noted for shutting down guys like Osi and Tuck. Is Dumerville that much better than those guys? I really don't think he is. On par maybe but not that much better.

I don't think you are giving credit where it is due my friend.

If you want a valid comparison between our two teams, look at your Cinci matchup and not Cleveland or the Raiders. Those two teams are pathetic.

Brand
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
As the game goes on, Dumerville wears out tackles and Dlinemen. He is a fighter. I look for a couple false starts and a couple of possible hoildong calls. Big tackles havc a tendency to grab at Dooms' head and shoulders and hold on.....

I am certain tha tBDawk will have a thing or three to say to RBs and TEs who come into contact with hi,.

It is interesting to me that many people forget that the D Plauyers for Denver are mostly vets, not rookies. Nolan is a veteran coach. Denver's D should not be taken lightly.

Kaylore nailed it. But I do not give the 'Boys 17. 10 is about like it, I think....

Broncos, 24. 'Boys 10....

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Pretty good so far.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm still surprised you guys got rid of Zim. I always thought he was a heck of a coach. He's doing a fine job in Cincy.

He couldn't figure out how to coach the 3-4 properly so Parcells sent him packing. Parcells liked him too, I thought it was funny that he ended up giving him the axe.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
As the game goes on, Dumerville wears out tackles and Dlinemen. He is a fighter. I look for a couple false starts and a couple of possible hoildong calls. Big tackles havc a tendency to grab at Dooms' head and shoulders and hold on.....

I am certain tha tBDawk will have a thing or three to say to RBs and TEs who come into contact with hi,.

It is interesting to me that many people forget that the D Plauyers for Denver are mostly vets, not rookies. Nolan is a veteran coach. Denver's D should not be taken lightly.

Kaylore nailed it. But I do not give the 'Boys 17. 10 is about like it, I think....

Broncos, 24. 'Boys 10....

I have respect for nolan and wish he was our D coordinator actually. I dont think dumerville will be shut out, but I think that Flo will certainly win more than his share of the battles. It will be a good matchup for certain.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Generally this is a pretty hospitable board.

broncophan
09-29-2009, 05:39 PM
As long as Wade Phillips is coaching the Cowboys......the Broncos will always have a chance at beating the Cowboys.

Stopping Choice is a concern for me though.........that guy can run...

underrated29
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
How do you think you guys will be shutting down our run game?

By that i mean, not really about our guys, but more about the boys run defense.

Are you guys stopping the run pretty well? Not very well. Up the gut you guys are vulnerable?

Just how do you think your run defense will do (not really how good our guys are, but how good your defense is.)

did that make sense.?

Kaylore
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Bronco fans, as good as our defense has played, the Cowboys are the first real offense we've faced. They are nicked up but they don't suck. Remember that Cincy dropped a lot of balls on us. If we hold Dallas to under 10 points, I'll eat my hat.

skycoyote
09-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I believe that Dallas will play defense with 7 or 8 "in-the-box" and make Orton throw.

Dortoh
09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Bronco fans, as good as our defense has played, the Cowboys are the first real offense we've faced. They are nicked up but they don't suck. Remember that Cincy dropped a lot of balls on us. If we hold Dallas to under 10 points, I'll eat my hat.

This could be our first look at how Orton fairs when he HAS to make plays down the field.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 06:07 PM
This could be our first look at how Orton fairs when he HAS to make plays down the field.

If the offense can get more use out of Royal and Marshall that couldn't hurt.

Superchop 7
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
From Cowboys perspective: (force Orton to go downfield)

Stop the run
Bump receivers (every pass is 6 feet or less)
Blitz your corners or don't blitz at all.

From Broncos perspective: (slow down the rush)

Shotgun
Shovel pass
Draw

As far as the team goes:

Our o-line is all world, as good as it gets.

Our #3 WR's are excellent.

We have 2 very good co-ordinators, I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't want either Josh or Nolan.

Front office, well thats another story, to have success in the playoffs it really boils down to players, we missed a golden opportunity to get Orakpo and Maualuga, two serious studs, if it boiled down to Orton carrying the team in a game, we are sunk. Our d-line is average at best with the additions of Holliday and Smith.

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 06:38 PM
How do you think you guys will be shutting down our run game?

By that i mean, not really about our guys, but more about the boys run defense.

Are you guys stopping the run pretty well? Not very well. Up the gut you guys are vulnerable?

Just how do you think your run defense will do (not really how good our guys are, but how good your defense is.)

did that make sense.?
The cowboys shut down Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. Last time I checked those guys are pretty good. I would say that the NY OL is on par or better than any OL in the NFL.

That's why. Can we stop it? Probably not. Can we slow it down? Yes.

East Coast Fan
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I STILL haven't forgiven you guys for wrecking our "77 Miracle season" :mad:

That was NO TOUCHDOWN that catch by Butch Johnson!!!

Seriously, it should be a good game; our first test to see if like Red Miller said in '78 when we beat Oakland to go to that Cowboys Super Bowl "I wonder if they believe that we're for real now..." We'll see after this game, but then have such a tough road to hoe ahead of us. Take it one at a time....

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I STILL haven't forgiven you guys for wrecking our "77 Miracle season" :mad:

That was NO TOUCHDOWN that catch by Butch Johnson!!!

Seriously, it should be a good game; our first test to see if like Red Miller said in '78 when we beat Oakland to go to that Cowboys Super Bowl "I wonder if they believe that we're for real now..." We'll see after this game, but then have such a tough road to hoe ahead of us. Take it one at a time....
The reason why you guys lost that game was Craig Morton. We knew him inside and out, although I am only told about this since I was only 1 when it happened!

In all seriousness I look forward to a great matchup and hopefully no injuries on either side of the ball.

East Coast Fan
09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
The reason why you guys lost that game was Craig Morton. We knew him inside and out, although I am only told about this since I was only 1 when it happened!

Yes, you guys knew what he was all about, and just overpowered our offensive line and harassed Morton all game. Our defense played outstanding that day, but was on the field 75 % of the game. We had our chances early, when you guys fumbled a punt on your own 1 yard line, and Butch Johnson fumbled an end around but it bounced right back up to him, but it wasn't meant to be.

Maybe someday we'll meet again the "the big dance"....:D

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, you guys knew what he was all about, and just overpowered our offensive line and harassed Morton all game. Our defense played outstanding that day, but was on the field 75 % of the game. We had our chances early, when you guys fumbled a punt on your own 1 yard line, and Butch Johnson fumbled an end around but it bounced right back up to him, but it wasn't meant to be.

Maybe someday we'll meet again the "the big dance"....:D

Hopefully with a better outcome for us. :beer:

Bronco Warrior
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I have respect for nolan and wish he was our D coordinator actually. I dont think dumerville will be shut out, but I think that Flo will certainly win more than his share of the battles. It will be a good matchup for certain.

Yyou sure you're a real Cowboys fan? You seem reasonably rational..WRONG But Rational!

weazel
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
well, at the start of the season I thought Dallas was going to kick our ass. After the first couple weeks I thought it would be a close game and a toss up, quite honestly. After week 3 I think Dallas will win by about 9 points.

I like the way our defense is playing but I just don't have any faith in our offense to put 7's on the board. Until I see them do it more often I don't have much confidence in them to win games against better teams.

Still, lets go Broncos!!!

Bluestar76
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Yyou sure you're a real Cowboys fan? You seem reasonably rational..WRONG But Rational!
Yea man, I am a cowboys fan. I don't get into the name calling and all that. I prefer to wage my wars with logic and reason. You don't have to agree with me, that's what makes it interesting!

Lot more like me at my board if you want to come check it out, link is in my sig.

frenchfan
09-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Yea man, I am a cowboys fan. I don't get into the name calling and all that. I prefer to wage my wars with logic and reason. You don't have to agree with me, that's what makes it interesting!

Lot more like me at my board if you want to come check it out, link is in my sig.:welcome: Cowboys fan...

Well... I'm really excited about the game against your team because it will be our 1st serious test.
You have a solid team and certainly a playoff contender (though your division is really tough with Giants and Eagles). I don't know where my Broncos are yet... IMO we are a better team than last year, we have shown some good signs and we'll know more after that game... If we beat you playing good football, then I think we'll have our chances to make it to the playoffs. I like McD's work for now (not because of our record but because I do believe it's a good way to come back to a SB - Cutler's saga apart).

I'm not such an expert to give a serious pronostic, but I think it will be a tough and close game...
I hope Tony will give us the ball as much as he did against the Giants ;) :laugh:
Our D challenges will be to kill your running game and to not let Witten killing us (may be Champ on him). Our O has to establish the run but also to take advantage of your secondaries which are IMO the weak link of your D... Our OL will have a tough day against your Front 7... But I think we'll use more double TE formations to counter that.

This game will be fun...

I have 2 reasons for us to beat you... 1st, I'm a Broncos fan... And 2nd, my brother is a Giants fan :shocked: :D
So... Go Broncos :defense:

PS (just a curious question about your site) : do you have some french fans there? Most of the football fans I know here in France like Broncos... there are some Pats or Giants fans too that I know... Just wondering... (and please just forgive my bad english :D)

JDL
09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Well, I don't generally buy into this team or that team is so bad... I would say there are around 10 really bad teams, imo, in the league this year. It is actually an accomplishment to beat teams you are supposed to, heck, Dallas took a long time to knock off Carolina. I am not saying anything about any particular team mind you, other than, in general, a win is a win and they aren't easy to come by, even for great teams who seem to always make it look easy.

On paper, this is a game at this point I believe we should win.

I still believe that are run defense is vulnerable, as I see cracks in it every week that by and large are covered up by Dawkins. Had Barber and/or Jones been completely healthy that would have been a major obstacle for us. Choice seems like a solid 3rd, but I don't see him putting up HUGE plays on us and that wouldn't be exactly what you expect out of Barber either who is a superb grinder and really is excellent at getting tough yards. I think Dallas will get some yards on the ground, but the real key will be the passing game.

I think the biggest issue Denver faces in this game is controlling Witten. We really have nobody, imo, who is very strong at covering the TE and even Miller was open quite a few times in that Oakland game and a couple drops and some really bad passes kept Oakland from really effectively utilizing him as an offensive weapon. If Witten goes off it is going to also mean coverages have to be shifted inside and that could mean trouble if one of the CBs falls asleep. Sometimes Champ gets so bored on one side never seeing any action he either a) takes a big chance to get involved and gets in trouble or b) relaxes just ever so slightly. But, by and large teams have tested Goodman and so far they have failed pretty regularly. It is just a question of whether you can make a play on him one on one because you likely aren't going to beat him or at least not by very much. Still the NFL is a game of inches and those two or three shots the Cowboys take downfield with our coverage shifted underneath will go a long ways in determining what type of game this turns into.

One other Note - I'm not sure I see a ton of pressure by us in this game, but the crowd better be loud because Adams in particular has a REAL BIG problem with false starts. Every yard we can push that offense back is big time.

Dallas defensively is going to be tough as our OL is banged up. I think rushing yards will be tough to come by as we are not yet an overly physical OL and the RBs have had at times to deal with a lot of penetration, though Moreno has excellent balance and maneuverability and Buckhalter just has a sense of where to hit the hole. This will be Orton's first game with the glove off so hopefully he is more accurate as he has had some problem in that area particularly early in games. We need a big day out of the passing game and we haven't seen that yet from this offense, but Denver is not holding Dallas under 10 pts and Denver cannot afford to get behind early as right now they are a low-risk, conservative field position-type offense. They start out slow and analyze what the D is doing and find ways to effectively exploit that. Denver's ability to quickly get up to speed with the Dallas D gameplan will be huge. Right now most of our scoring drives are off of big plays setting them up, it would be nice to see us come up with a couple nice long TD drives. I think the Dallas secondary is more than susceptible to a good passing attack it is just a question of whether we will see that from Denver this weekend.

I think the other area Dallas could really exploit is on Special Teams and field position. They have the ability to really hurt teams with their return game and punting. Jones is out, but they still have more than competent return men and if this game goes how Denver needs it to, Denver's ability to continue to have great coverage is paramount. We are also going to need to find someone on our end to actually get a decent return, ever since his preseason injury Royal has looked far less explosive. We are either going to need to combat McBriars sick leg with good returns or turnovers, because if we play straight up, I think Denver loses the field position battle and thus the game.

Denver's Keys

Shut Down Witten
Keep Ware under control
Don't give up big plays on D or Special Teams
Minimal 3 and outs
Convert in the red zone

Dallas' Keys

Exploit Denver's interior coverage
Don't turn the ball over (Denver is probably not a straight up better team so don't equalize the difference by giving them more opportunities)
Isolate Ware on the right side of the OL or inside at the LG spot.
Play with some passion (the team came out so lethargic and uninspiring in the Carolina game, they need to play with a better sense of urgency)

I think in the end Denver comes up a bit short as a couple miscues haunt them.

Dallas 23 - Denver 17. (Final drive falls short at the Dallas 40)

Dortoh
09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
The real question here is what is the real scoop with Barber is he a go? 100%?

SOCALORADO.
09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Good analysis. I think whoever forces more turnovers in t his game will win. The ball bounces differently. It seemed our defenese improved against the panthers, but it does appear that their offense in floundering. I cant wait to see how it turns out. I would reverse the score on my prediction, I think the cowboys win, but by the slimmest of margins.

YES. Turnovers.
And stopping the DAL run game. Cant let it get going.
Whats the status of all those RBs?
Choice looks like the best one because hes so versatile.
But what about Jones and Barber?

Dortoh
09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Never mind Barber and Felix are both out. Tuff break for the cowboys.

NightTrainLayne
09-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Barber's out again? Word was that he was so angry about not being active last week that he didn't even go to the stadium. .. obviously he thinks he's ready to play.

Dortoh
09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Barber's out again? Word was that he was so angry about not being active last week that he didn't even go to the stadium. .. obviously he thinks he's ready to play.

That is what was being reported on the OM not sure the source. I'll go dig around.

NightTrainLayne
09-30-2009, 10:14 AM
That is what was being reported on the OM not sure the source. I'll go dig around.

I did a quick google search, but didn't see anything new on it.

Day1BroncoFan
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Here is the injury report from their web site. (http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_injuries.cfm)
RB Felix Jones - knee (9/28) - Jones is likely out of Sunday's game in Denver after spraining his left PCL against Carolina Monday night. Though Jones came off the field after a 40-yard run early in the third quarter and did not receive another carry, the Cowboys believe he may have injured the knee earlier in the game. The Cowboys are taking a wait-and-see approach, and Wade Phillips said Jones is day-to-day.

RB Marion Barber - quad (9/20) - Barber was been limited all last week in practice with a strained quad. Head coach Wade Phillips said the decision was made Sunday to rest Barber, though the team originally thought he could possibly play despite an initial 10-14 day prognosis. Barber did not attend the win over Carolina, Phillips saying he was instead receiving treatment.

QB Stephen McGee - knee (8/21): McGee has been in uniform for the first three games as the inactive third quarterback. The rookie from Texas A&M suffered an MCL sprain in preseason and said last week he wasn't at 100 percent yet. But he has returned to practice and is healthy enough to be in uniform for an emergency situation.

S Michael Hamlin - arm (8/29) - The rookie safety suffered a broken arm in the second half of the 49ers preseason game on Aug. 29. Hamlin should be a week or so away from returning. The original timetable had him out 4-6 weeks.

LB Jason Williams - ankle (8/29) - The Cowboys' top draft pick suffered a high ankle sprain in preseason that required him wearing a walking boot until last week. The initial prognosis was for Williams to be out 4-6 weeks, but he wasn't sure about an updated timeline Friday.

Injured Reserve:
LB Brandon Williams (torn ACL)
LB Stephen Hodge (knee)

Non-Active PUP:
OL Robert Brewster (torn pectoral muscle)

Bluestar76
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Where do you see that? I have seen nothing to indicate that barber is out this week. Just that his status is in question.

Dortoh
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I guess the person saying this heard it from Schefter on television.

Schefter on ESPN LIVE SC- Marion Barber and Felix OUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No link, but I just heard the news that not only Felix Jones, but he is also saying they will hold Barber out as well. Looks like we will have to stop Tashard Choice who has been effective as a backup.

dogfish
09-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but. . . I agree with my esteemed colleague Dortoh-- this is probably going to be the first test of whether Orton can make plays when he has to, instead of sitting back and just playing it safe. I think we'll pop a few runs here and there, but I don't expect us to run wild on them the way we did last week. I think our interior OL play hasn't been up to last year's standard at times, and I think Dallas will exploit it if those guys don't step up. Jay Ratliff may be undersized for the nose, but the guy is strong and extremely quick off the ball. I think he's too much for Wiegman to handle, and if we don't consistently and effectively double him we're going to see a lot of interior penetration forcing our running backs to move laterally where Dallas can string plays out with the speed of their 'backers. Our best bet might be to heavily feature the screen game instead of running on early downs. And they did look a bit vulnerable to the nside draw against the Panthers-- I bet we'll see at least a few of those from the shotgun.

Gruden noted during MNF that Dallas was bringing more inside blitzes than they usually do, and I think they can potentially have more success trying to bring quick pressure right in Orton's face than relying on their edge rush to get there. Ware is an utter beast, but Clady's just as good, and I'm relatively confident in his ability to keep 94 under control for the most part. If Harris is healthy, I like his odds against the rest of their rushers just as well, and if we do struggle in outside pass pro, Graham is one of the best in the league at neutralizing mismatches out there. Inside protection may be more difficult if Ratliff is getting consistent penetration, drawing doubles and opening blitz lanes for their inside 'backers. If this happens, we could see a fair bit of Hillis in the backfield.

Dallas looks better in the secondary than they have been over the past few years (no Roy Wiilliams for Chef to exploit!), but I do think they can be a bit prone to sloppy tackling-- Mike Jenkins in particular. Whether or not we can generate runs after the catch is probably going to go a long way towards determining our success on offense.

Dallas has enough balance on offense to keep the D guessing, and the chess match between Nolan and their O is going to be big. Their OL is mammoth, and I believe they'll generate movement against our D-line in the running game-- especially Leonard Davis against McBean on the offensive right side. Not having to face Jones is a relief, but if people think Tashard Choice isn't dangerous because he's not a household name then they're dead wrong. The kid is the real deal-- ask G if you don't believe me. Or ask the Steelers defense. He's a grinder with the heart of a lion, perfectly capable of being a workhorse at this level. Our 'backers and safeties have been very strong against the run so far, and they'll have to be ready for their biggest test to date-- Dallas has the best running game in the league so far this year. We really need to limit yards gained after contact if we want to slow down their offense. This will be key, because they have multiple guys that can get vertical if our safeties start getting too nosey and biting on play-action.

I think our corners match up pretty well with their receivers. As pretty much everyone has mentioned, slowing Witten will be the real challenge-- I'd almost rather leave the corners manned up and try to bracket Witten with a safety and LB, at least on third downs. Our rushers will have be extra disciplined maintaining their lane integrity, because Romo is more than capable of taking off and hurting you with his legs-- especially by converting third downs. Doom against Flozell is going to be fun to watch-- if Flozell can consistently land his initial punch we're going to see Elvis getting rag-dolled on some plays, but if he can get under Flozell's pads or take the edge cleanly with the outside speed move he might eat the big guy's lunch. I expect to see Adams lunging and lurching trying to keep up with him, and you know he's good for a few false starts against that kind of speed, on the road in a hopefully loud stadium. The real test will be whether other guys can bring the heat when they start doubling Doom.

Ultimately, I expect a fairly low-scoring game with both teams pressing the LOS to clog rush lanes and get after the QB. It might come down to whoever can be patient, not make that big mistake themselves and wait for the other guy to make one-- a big return, sack-strip or fumble in your own territory could easily end up being the deciding factor in a close-played game.

EDIT: Two other things. Prater has to be sharp. This isn't the Browns, we're not going to beat them by twenty. We can't afford to leave points on the board-- if we do, it's probably going to bite us in the ass. Red zone defense is going to be big-- if they get in rhythm early and move the ball up and down the field on us, we can stay in it if we limit them to field goals. If they get a couple of early TDs we're in trouble, though-- our offense hasn't shown much quick-strike ability, and at this point in its evolution isn't really made for playing from behind effectively. Orton's ultra-safe approach, checking down or throwing it away when there's nothing safe, is great for playing close games and relying on your defense, or sitting on a lead-- not so much when you have to move the ball down the field and the other guys are pinning their ears back.

Bluestar76
09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, I don't generally buy into this team or that team is so bad... I would say there are around 10 really bad teams, imo, in the league this year. It is actually an accomplishment to beat teams you are supposed to, heck, Dallas took a long time to knock off Carolina. I am not saying anything about any particular team mind you, other than, in general, a win is a win and they aren't easy to come by, even for great teams who seem to always make it look easy.

On paper, this is a game at this point I believe we should win.

I still believe that are run defense is vulnerable, as I see cracks in it every week that by and large are covered up by Dawkins. Had Barber and/or Jones been completely healthy that would have been a major obstacle for us. Choice seems like a solid 3rd, but I don't see him putting up HUGE plays on us and that wouldn't be exactly what you expect out of Barber either who is a superb grinder and really is excellent at getting tough yards. I think Dallas will get some yards on the ground, but the real key will be the passing game.

I think the biggest issue Denver faces in this game is controlling Witten. We really have nobody, imo, who is very strong at covering the TE and even Miller was open quite a few times in that Oakland game and a couple drops and some really bad passes kept Oakland from really effectively utilizing him as an offensive weapon. If Witten goes off it is going to also mean coverages have to be shifted inside and that could mean trouble if one of the CBs falls asleep. Sometimes Champ gets so bored on one side never seeing any action he either a) takes a big chance to get involved and gets in trouble or b) relaxes just ever so slightly. But, by and large teams have tested Goodman and so far they have failed pretty regularly. It is just a question of whether you can make a play on him one on one because you likely aren't going to beat him or at least not by very much. Still the NFL is a game of inches and those two or three shots the Cowboys take downfield with our coverage shifted underneath will go a long ways in determining what type of game this turns into.

One other Note - I'm not sure I see a ton of pressure by us in this game, but the crowd better be loud because Adams in particular has a REAL BIG problem with false starts. Every yard we can push that offense back is big time.

Dallas defensively is going to be tough as our OL is banged up. I think rushing yards will be tough to come by as we are not yet an overly physical OL and the RBs have had at times to deal with a lot of penetration, though Moreno has excellent balance and maneuverability and Buckhalter just has a sense of where to hit the hole. This will be Orton's first game with the glove off so hopefully he is more accurate as he has had some problem in that area particularly early in games. We need a big day out of the passing game and we haven't seen that yet from this offense, but Denver is not holding Dallas under 10 pts and Denver cannot afford to get behind early as right now they are a low-risk, conservative field position-type offense. They start out slow and analyze what the D is doing and find ways to effectively exploit that. Denver's ability to quickly get up to speed with the Dallas D gameplan will be huge. Right now most of our scoring drives are off of big plays setting them up, it would be nice to see us come up with a couple nice long TD drives. I think the Dallas secondary is more than susceptible to a good passing attack it is just a question of whether we will see that from Denver this weekend.

I think the other area Dallas could really exploit is on Special Teams and field position. They have the ability to really hurt teams with their return game and punting. Jones is out, but they still have more than competent return men and if this game goes how Denver needs it to, Denver's ability to continue to have great coverage is paramount. We are also going to need to find someone on our end to actually get a decent return, ever since his preseason injury Royal has looked far less explosive. We are either going to need to combat McBriars sick leg with good returns or turnovers, because if we play straight up, I think Denver loses the field position battle and thus the game.

Denver's Keys

Shut Down Witten
Keep Ware under control
Don't give up big plays on D or Special Teams
Minimal 3 and outs
Convert in the red zone

Dallas' Keys

Exploit Denver's interior coverage
Don't turn the ball over (Denver is probably not a straight up better team so don't equalize the difference by giving them more opportunities)
Isolate Ware on the right side of the OL or inside at the LG spot.
Play with some passion (the team came out so lethargic and uninspiring in the Carolina game, they need to play with a better sense of urgency)

I think in the end Denver comes up a bit short as a couple miscues haunt them.

Dallas 23 - Denver 17. (Final drive falls short at the Dallas 40)

Its refreshing to see such a grounded board. I think that the margin could go either way as I stated in an earlier post. It would not surprise me in the least that the cowboys could lose this game. All it would take is for us to get behind and Tony having to throw to win and the mistakes could easily rear their head again. When he throws less then 30 passes a game we are a much better team.

Bluestar76
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Haven't read the whole thread, but. . . I agree with my esteemed colleague Dortoh-- this is probably going to be the first test of whether Orton can make plays when he has to, instead of sitting back and just playing it safe. I think we'll pop a few runs here and there, but I don't expect us to run wild on them the way we did last week. I think our interior OL play hasn't been up to last year's standard at times, and I think Dallas will exploit it if those guys don't step up. Jay Ratliff may be undersized for the nose, but the guy is strong and extremely quick off the ball. I think he's too much for Wiegman to handle, and if we don't consistently and effectively double him we're going to see a lot of interior penetration forcing our running backs to move laterally where Dallas can string plays out with the speed of their 'backers. Our best bet might be to heavily feature the screen game instead of running on early downs.

Gruden noted during MNF that Dallas was bringing more inside blitzes than they usually do, and I think they can potentially have more success trying to bring quick pressure right in Orton's face than relying on their edge rush to get there. Ware is an utter beast, but Clady's just as good, and I'm relatively confident in his ability to keep 94 under control for the most part. If Harris is healthy, I like his odds against the rest of their rushers just as well, and if we do struggle in outside pass pro, Graham is one of the bet in the league at neutralizing mismatches out there. Inside protection may be more difficult if Ratliff is getting consistent penetration, drawing doubles and opening blitz lanes for their inside 'backers. If this happens, we could see a fair bit of Hillis in the backfield.

Dallas looks better in the secondary than they have been over the past few years (no Roy Wiilliams for Chef to exploit!), but I do think they can be a bit prone to sloppy tackling-- Mike Jenkins in particular. Whether or not we can generate runs after the catch is probably going to go a long way towards determining our success on offense.

Dallas has enough balance on offense to keep the D guessing, and the chess match between Nolan and their O is going to be big. Their OL is mammoth, and I believe they'll generate movement against our D-line in the running game-- especially Leonard Davis against McBean on the offensive right side. Nothaving to face Jones is a relief, but if people think Tashard Choice isn't dangerous because he's not a household name then they're dead wrong. The kid is the real deal-- ask G if you don't believe me. Or ask the Steelers defense. He's a grinder with the heart of a lion, perfectly capable of being a workhorse at this level. Our 'backers and safeties have been very strong against the run so far, and they'll have to be ready for their biggest test to date-- Dallas has the best running game in the league so far this year. We realy need to limit yards gained after contact if we want to slow down their offense.

I think our corners match up pretty well with their receivers. As pretty much everyone has mentioned, slowing Witten will be the real challenge-- I'd almost rather leave the corners manned up and try to bracket Witten with a safety and LB, at least on third downs. Our rushers will have be extra disciplined maintaining their lane integrity, because Romo is more than capable of taking off and hurting you with his legs-- especially by converting third downs. Doom against Flozell is going to be fun to watch-- if Flozell can consistently land his initial punch we're going to see Elvis getting rag-dolled on some plays, but if he can get under Flozell's pads or take the edge cleanly with the outside speed move he might eat the big guy's lunch. I expect to see Adams lunging and lurching trying to keep up with him, and you know he's good for a few false starts against that kind of speed, on the road in a hopefully loud stadium. The real test will be whether other guys can bring the heat when they start doubling Doom.

Ultimately, I expect a fairly low-scoring game with both teams pressing the LOS to clog rush lanes and get after the QB. It might come down to whoever can be patient, not make that big mistake themselves and wait for the other guy to make one-- a big return, sack-strip or fumble in your own territory could easily end up being the deciding factor in a close-played game.

I expect a low scoring game too.....

That means it will be 45-38 or something crazy like that :D

broncofaninfla
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM

LOL! Especially if I bet the under!!:laugh:

underrated29
09-30-2009, 11:21 AM

Thats fine. we will take the 45. I would prefer a low scoring game. But i would prefer the win even more.

However, as long as you guys dont just blow us out. And Rape us to the ground i would be ok with a L. Being that it is close.

But if we can come out with the big W. I will really feel good about our team and think we might have the confidence to clean shop.

MasterShake
09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I think whoever gets off to the quicker start in this game has the better chance to win. If the Broncos go up by at least 2 possessions in the first quarter or so, they can pin their ears back and disrupt Romo and our offense can keep the Cowboys defense on the field (hopefully) for long, altitude air-sucking drives. If Dallas goes up, I think our gameplan is out the window and I don't like Orton in the role of a come from behind gunner against Dallas (or any team until I see more of him).

I think it comes down to who wants it more, and Denver has more of a chip on their shoulder right now due to lack of respect. Dallas is coming off a pretty big win and a short week, so hopefully Denver can pounce early and keep 'em down. All the injuries to Dallas and the fact that its a non-conference game on the road might affect them, too. Either way, like the original post said if Dallas wins the media will say it was expected, and if Denver wins it was because Dallas wasn't as good as projected and they told us so. :lol:

Good luck to both teams, but I like my team at home against Dallas as long as we can keep the mistakes down and the Dallas offense in check.

Bluestar76
09-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Thats fine. we will take the 45. I would prefer a low scoring game. But i would prefer the win even more.

However, as long as you guys dont just blow us out. And Rape us to the ground i would be ok with a L. Being that it is close.

But if we can come out with the big W. I will really feel good about our team and think we might have the confidence to clean shop.

I dont see a blow out either way, and I do think you guys have as good of a chance to win the game as we do.

Bluestar76
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I think whoever gets off to the quicker start in this game has the better chance to win. If the Broncos go up by at least 2 possessions in the first quarter or so, they can pin their ears back and disrupt Romo and our offense can keep the Cowboys defense on the field (hopefully) for long, altitude air-sucking drives. If Dallas goes up, I think our gameplan is out the window and I don't like Orton in the role of a come from behind gunner against Dallas (or any team until I see more of him).

I think it comes down to who wants it more, and Denver has more of a chip on their shoulder right now due to lack of respect. Dallas is coming off a pretty big win and a short week, so hopefully Denver can pounce early and keep 'em down. All the injuries to Dallas and the fact that its a non-conference game on the road might affect them, too. Either way, like the original post said if Dallas wins the media will say it was expected, and if Denver wins it was because Dallas wasn't as good as projected and they told us so. :lol:

Good luck to both teams, but I like my team at home against Dallas as long as we can keep the mistakes down and the Dallas offense in check.

Who is the drizzle?

I think we have a matchup of two very similar teams. Weapons at TE and WR that arent properly utilized on mosly running teams. Defenses that can be solid. I am not going to say the broncos will win, but it will be a close game for certain and I am sweating this one a lot more than I did the panthers game on monday.

Heres to no injuries and a clean game.....

Oh yea and "RAIN POWER GO!"

broncofaninfla
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I just read Felix Jones will be out for 1-2 weeks. Marion the Barbarian is injured as well but will play. Marions a beast but I wonder how effective he'll be hobbled like he is?

EMB6903
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Cowboys will be fine without Felix. Tashard Choice could be a legit starter in this league IMO... Hes going to be tough to contain... I do not have a good feeling about this game.

BrooklynCowboysfan
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I believe this game comes down to each team's O Line as stated before in previous posts.

I've also noticed it being said here that Barber is out or back, but hobbled. Not true. Barber was good to go last week, but held out for precaution.

A Quad strain isn't as bad as a Hamstring injury. So you WILL have to deal with MB on the field with his normal bruiser-style.

I'm not sold on Orton yet, but I know Bailey is gonna give our WR's fits.

Here's to an injury-free game. It should be a very good one.

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Oh HEll! There's two of them Now! We need to get them fixed so they can't breed! LMAO! JK!

CoachChaz
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Choice is overrated. Look at any #2 or #3 back and the glory they get and then see how many actually pan out. Jones and Choice are decent for a change of pace, but given full starter duties...they'll make mistakes.

Barber's quad strain held him out for more reasons than "precautionary". Seriously? How many legit starters get held out of a game for "precautionary" reasons unless it's something more serious than what's being let on.

Word is...Barber could have played at about 50% last week and at the moment he's only up to about 75%. Got a hook up working for ESPN radio at Valley Ranch. He'll play Sunday, but dont expect him to be 100%

Sorry Brooklyn, but Dallas is my back yard. News is a little truer here than in NY

BrooklynCowboysfan
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Barber's quad strain held him out for more reasons than "precautionary". Seriously? How many legit starters get held out of a game for "precautionary" reasons unless it's something more serious than what's being let on.

Word is...Barber could have played at about 50% last week and at the moment he's only up to about 75%. Got a hook up working for ESPN radio at Valley Ranch. He'll play Sunday, but dont expect him to be 100%

Sorry Brooklyn, but Dallas is my back yard. News is a little truer here than in NY

Not saying your hook up is wrong or I am right, but I wouldn't believe a thing coming from BSPN.

Hook up or not, Sunday's game will answer all questions about Barber.

*And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't BSPN based in NY?*

CoachChaz
09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Not saying your hook up is wrong or I am right, but I wouldn't believe a thing coming from BSPN.

Hook up or not, Sunday's game will answer all questions about Barber.

Coming from BSPN is one thing...coming from a friend is another. if Mike and Mike told me that, I'd blow it off. If Ed Werder or Matt Mosely told me that, I see it as homer bias. This was none of the above.

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Barber will play. The Reason you might hold a player out for "Precautionary" reaons if the need for him to play is less than the risk of a more serious or agravating an injury. I fthey are even saying they will hold him out when he could play it's a slam to us...that they won't need him to win. I call BullCrudd!

The lies are bigger in Texas too!

CoachChaz
09-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Barber will play. The Reason you might hold a player out for "Precautionary" reaons if the need for him to play is less than the risk of a more serious or agravating an injury. I fthey are even saying they will hold him out when he could play it's a slam to us...that they won't need him to win. I call BullCrudd!

The lies are bigger in Texas too!

They HAD to win on Monday...and he still didnt play. Sorry, but in a must win scenario, you play any player that is capable of suiting up.

I'm sure he'll play this week, but I know he isnt 100%. Does he need to be? Who knows.

Superchop 7
09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I believe this game comes down to each team's O Line as stated before in previous posts.

I've also noticed it being said here that Barber is out or back, but hobbled. Not true. Barber was good to go last week, but held out for precaution.

A Quad strain isn't as bad as a Hamstring injury. So you WILL have to deal with MB on the field with his normal bruiser-style.

I'm not sold on Orton yet, but I know Bailey is gonna give our WR's fits.

Here's to an injury-free game. It should be a very good one.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Actually, the key is Goodman, he is a major upgrade over Bly.

Not sold on Orton either, if they find a Brady or Manning this offense would be un-stopable. I have a feeling that the next 5 weeks will prove this.

Bluestar76
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Choice is overrated. Look at any #2 or #3 back and the glory they get and then see how many actually pan out. Jones and Choice are decent for a change of pace, but given full starter duties...they'll make mistakes.

166 total yards and a TD against the steelers last year says your wrong. The mistakes made in that game were made by Tony Romo. Choice is a legit player and could start for many teams. He is also unselfish. He excels at special teams, something he never did before last season, and is a leader in the locker room. I'm surprised your source didn't fill you in on that.

You can sleep on Choice, but I bet you the broncos coaches and players aren't.