PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 Power Rankings

CoachChaz
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
32. St. Louis (0-3) – Doesn’t get much worse

31. Tampa Bay (0-3) – Might as well let Freeman play. Get the kid some early reps

30. Cleveland (0-3) – A team with ZERO identity

29. Detroit (1-2) – Finally go the monkey off their back

28. Kansas City (0-3) – I guess Cassell wasn’t the answer.

27. Oakland (1-2) – Is there a worse starting QB in the NFL?

26. Jacksonville (1-2) – Just when you think they are dead, they pull off a nice upset

25. Washington (1-2) – Has to be the most underachieving offense

24. Carolina (0-3) – Too many injuries to pose a threat to anyone

23. Miami (0-3) - Last year was an aberration.

22. Seattle (1-2) – Thought they would bounce back this year. So much for educated thought

21. Houston (1-2) – Yet another year of ups and downs

20. Buffalo (1-2) – Not looking too bad through a tough early schedule

19. Arizona (1-2) – I would say they are the next victim of the Super Bowl loser curse. But they weren’t that good to begin with

18. Tennessee (0-3) – They seem to find a way to lose. Just the opposite of a year ago

17. Cincinnati (2-1) – Are they back? Need to see consistency before I’m a believer

16. San Francisco (2-1) – Should have beat Minnesota, but the coach lost that game for them. Things cant get easier with bad play-calling, a bad QB and the loss of the RB

15. Green Bay (2-1) – Solid win…still waiting for Rodgers to turn into a leader

14. Dallas (2-1) – How does a team with this much talent look so bad? (owner, coach, QB)

13. Chicago (2-1) – How many games can they win because the other teams kicker falls asleep?

12. Denver (3-0) – Looking better each week. First real test is on the way

11. Atlanta (2-1) – laid an egg against NE. Need to rebound big this week

10. Pittsburgh (1-2) – Champs looking a little lazy in the early going.

9. New England (2-1) – Still looking for their new identity

8. San Diego (2-1) – Not playing as impressively as advertised.

7. Indianapolis (3-0) – Manning doing what Manning does.

6. Baltimore (3-0) – Looking better than I gave them credit for. Flacco looks like a 5 year vet

5. Philadelphia (2-1) – Looked really sharp against a bad team. Kolb making the QB decision harder

4. New Orleans (3-0) – proving they can run as well as they pass. Scary

3. NY Giants (3-0) – Tough defense and tough running game getting the job done

2. NY Jets (3-0) – Rex Ryan is my new idol.

1. Minnesota (3-0) – Say what you want about Favre, but this team might have 2 losses without him.

claymore
09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Miami is nothing without Pennington IMO. Philly will be in one hell of a position to trade a QB by week 5.

Northman
09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Really good Coach although i disagree with the Vikings at #1.

CoachChaz
09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Really good Coach although i disagree with the Vikings at #1.

I know. It seems alot of people do. But they are 3-0 right now anf the offense is starting to click and the defense is bound to step up. I just see them getting better each week.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Miami is nothing without Pennington IMO. Philly will be in one hell of a position to trade a QB by week 5.

Henne might be the real deal...:noidea:

Dortoh
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Looks pretty solid to me. I'd move the ratbirds up to #1 but thats about the only real change.

FanInAZ
09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Vikes, Jets and Saints will fall by years end.

CoachChaz
09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Henne might be the real deal...:noidea:

Yeah...I think they've really been grooming things for him all along anyway.

Slick
09-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Pittsburgh is struggling. Polamalu being out and not much of a running game to speak of has hurt them badly. I suspect Tomlin will turn it around. He looked pissed in his post game presser. Rough week of practice ahead for those guys.

I think the Jets team is for real. I've seen all three games. They're getting good play from Jenkins. Scott and Harris are studs and Revis is coming on strong. The team is behind Sanchez, and he's shown maturity and toughness. He's an impressive rookie QB. Leon Washington, Thomas Jones and Dustin Keller are helping to take the pressure off Sanchez, and Ryan seems to have everyone on the same page. That's a good football team.

Thanks Coach. Good stuff.

Thnikkaman
09-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Top shelf once again Coach. Here are my only gripes:

Pittsburgh at 10. Their O-Line is horrible. I agree with some media outlets that Big Ben will have a season ending or close to injury with the amount of punishment he gets with his poor protection. And with Polamalu out, their Defense is average at best.

I also think you have San Diego ranked too high. Based on the measuring stick of the Raiders, how can you have Denver ranked lower than the Chargers?

Then again, after this weekend, I could be totally off base.

ursamajor
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Didnt Reed miss another one against Cincy? Mare has lost a bit as well, or he would still be in Miami. Even if Mare was perfect on the day, The Bears would have still won that one. Cutler was a surgeon last Sunday

Poet
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
32. St. Louis (0-3) – Doesn’t get much worse

31. Tampa Bay (0-3) – Might as well let Freeman play. Get the kid some early reps

30. Cleveland (0-3) – A team with ZERO identity

29. Detroit (1-2) – Finally go the monkey off their back

28. Kansas City (0-3) – I guess Cassell wasn’t the answer.

27. Oakland (1-2) – Is there a worse starting QB in the NFL?

26. Jacksonville (1-2) – Just when you think they are dead, they pull off a nice upset

25. Washington (1-2) – Has to be the most underachieving offense

24. Carolina (0-3) – Too many injuries to pose a threat to anyone

23. Miami (0-3) - Last year was an aberration.

22. Seattle (1-2) – Thought they would bounce back this year. So much for educated thought

21. Houston (1-2) – Yet another year of ups and downs

20. Buffalo (1-2) – Not looking too bad through a tough early schedule

19. Arizona (1-2) – I would say they are the next victim of the Super Bowl loser curse. But they weren’t that good to begin with

18. Tennessee (0-3) – They seem to find a way to lose. Just the opposite of a year ago

17. Cincinnati (2-1) – Are they back? Need to see consistency before I’m a believer

16. San Francisco (2-1) – Should have beat Minnesota, but the coach lost that game for them. Things cant get easier with bad play-calling, a bad QB and the loss of the RB

15. Green Bay (2-1) – Solid win…still waiting for Rodgers to turn into a leader

14. Dallas (2-1) – How does a team with this much talent look so bad? (owner, coach, QB)

13. Chicago (2-1) – How many games can they win because the other teams kicker falls asleep?

12. Denver (3-0) – Looking better each week. First real test is on the way

11. Atlanta (2-1) – laid an egg against NE. Need to rebound big this week

10. Pittsburgh (1-2) – Champs looking a little lazy in the early going.

9. New England (2-1) – Still looking for their new identity

8. San Diego (2-1) – Not playing as impressively as advertised.

7. Indianapolis (3-0) – Manning doing what Manning does.

6. Baltimore (3-0) – Looking better than I gave them credit for. Flacco looks like a 5 year vet

5. Philadelphia (2-1) – Looked really sharp against a bad team. Kolb making the QB decision harder

4. New Orleans (3-0) – proving they can run as well as they pass. Scary

3. NY Giants (3-0) – Tough defense and tough running game getting the job done

2. NY Jets (3-0) – Rex Ryan is my new idol.

1. Minnesota (3-0) – Say what you want about Favre, but this team might have 2 losses without him.
How are they ahead of Cincinnati? Cincinnati beat Green Bay and their win against Pittsburgh trumpys anything SF has done. Cincinnati lost to a 3-0 team.

I still think we are going to win around 8 games this year, but I don't see how either of the teams I highlighted are ahead of us, especially when the context is for this year and not last year.

BroncoBJ
09-29-2009, 10:24 PM
So the Vikings have a new QB running thier offense and they haven't played anyone legit and the 1 team they played that was good, they won on a last second play. And thier ranked #1? .. They sound like the Broncos to me. :lol:

Though I agree with your Denver ranking. I actually have Denver ranked 8th right now.
And I have the Saints and Ravens at 1 and 2. Jets are at 5.

Everyone has thier own rankings though. :salute:

EMB6903
09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Vikings beat a very good team last week.... San fransisco is for real.

CrazyHorse
09-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Vikings will beat Green Bay.
Favre will be the only Quarterback to have beaten all 32 NFL teams!

frenchfan
09-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Coach, as usually, great stuff...

Broncos at #12 seems pretty fair to me... We have to prove we're not an early miracle... We'll know more after next game...

I do understand your #1 pick... Favre is not the best Favre I've seen but he is still a very good QB... Add a great running game and a good D (though I'm not really sold on it yet)... This make sense...

However, I don't like Ravens at #6... IMO, they are in the top 3 (my pick : 1)... They still know how to play D and Lewis is not done... Flacco doesn't look bad and suddenly Baltimore has an O !

The Jets have been impressive too... I didn't expect that from Sanchez who seem to be a great deal !

Saints have an incredible O but to me a questionable D... I need to see them playing... But I agree they currently are a top 5 team.

Good job man... :salute: :beer:

Medford Bronco
09-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Good rankings coach.

My only thing is that I would have Baltimore higher than 6th.

I think they are better than the Jets, Vikings and Philly IMO.

But otherwise I think you are spot on. :salute: Thanks for doing this.

CoachChaz
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
How are they ahead of Cincinnati? Cincinnati beat Green Bay and their win against Pittsburgh trumpys anything SF has done. Cincinnati lost to a 3-0 team.

I still think we are going to win around 8 games this year, but I don't see how either of the teams I highlighted are ahead of us, especially when the context is for this year and not last year.

7 teams beat the Cardinals last year. Didnt they play in the Super Bowl?

CoachChaz
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Favre doesnt look like the Favre of old for a reason. because he doesnt have to. he has a great OL, a very good defense and an amazing RB. So he doesnt have to make big plays all day. That just means that when he does...he isnt as worn out and can still do it. just ask SF

Poet
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
7 teams beat the Cardinals last year. Didnt they play in the Super Bowl?

Yes, they caught great matchups and made it to the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, Cincinnati has two teams ahead of them that they beat. San Francisco is a bad team. They haven't beaten anyone good, and their biggest accomplishment is a loss. Meanwhile Cincinnati's only loss is to a team that is undefeated and they have two pretty good wins on their resume.

So, I'm still waiting for a logical response as to why Cincy is ranked where they are. Green Bay being ahead of them is obnoxious. Pittsburgh being ahead of them is understandable because odds are still good that they are a playoff team and the team ahead of them in the division (with a real shot to win it mind you) is Baltimore, a team they own. Then again, they own Cincinnati, but they just lost to them.

CoachChaz
10-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Yes, they caught great matchups and made it to the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, Cincinnati has two teams ahead of them that they beat. San Francisco is a bad team. They haven't beaten anyone good, and their biggest accomplishment is a loss. Meanwhile Cincinnati's only loss is to a team that is undefeated and they have two pretty good wins on their resume.

So, I'm still waiting for a logical response as to why Cincy is ranked where they are. Green Bay being ahead of them is obnoxious. Pittsburgh being ahead of them is understandable because odds are still good that they are a playoff team and the team ahead of them in the division (with a real shot to win it mind you) is Baltimore, a team they own. Then again, they own Cincinnati, but they just lost to them.

History, history, history. it takes more than a win over a Steelers team playing badly and an inconsistent Packers team to prove to me Cincy has taken that next step.

As long as Lewis is coaching them...I have my doubts

Poet
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
History, history, history. it takes more than a win over a Steelers team playing badly and an inconsistent Packers team to prove to me Cincy has taken that next step.

As long as Lewis is coaching them...I have my doubts

History is why you won't put them ahead of teams that they beat right now?

I don't know if you're aware, but if you're going off of history than you really really really want SF behind Cincinnati. We've been average to bad, they've just been bad. We've been more impressive this year, and Green Bay was two games better than us last year by two games....did I mention that Palmer was out for 11 games and they were only two games better than us in a much worse division?

CoachChaz
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
History is why you won't put them ahead of teams that they beat right now?

I don't know if you're aware, but if you're going off of history than you really really really want SF behind Cincinnati. We've been average to bad, they've just been bad. We've been more impressive this year, and Green Bay was two games better than us last year by two games....did I mention that Palmer was out for 11 games and they were only two games better than us in a much worse division?

Dude...power rankings change every week. if Cincy wins the next 2 and Pitt, SF and GB lose or look bad winning...maybe it changes. But I'm sorry...beating Pittsburgh doesnt necessarily make Cincy the better team.

Poet
10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Dude...power rankings change every week. if Cincy wins the next 2 and Pitt, SF and GB lose or look bad winning...maybe it changes. But I'm sorry...beating Pittsburgh doesnt necessarily make Cincy the better team.

Beating Pitt and GB kind of trumps anything that GB or SF have done this season.

I'm still waiting for what they have done that is more impressive.

weazel
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
pretty good man! Iwouldn't rank Denver that high but we are on a Denver board, so...

LRtagger
10-01-2009, 06:44 PM

He isn't saying Cincy is better than Pitt, he is saying they are better than GB and SF.

MNPatsFan
10-02-2009, 08:33 AM
No way that the Vikings should be rated #1. They have played one of the easiest schedules so far. The Browns and Lions are two of the worst teams in the league and the Vikes would and should have lost except for terrible coaching at the end of the game by the 49ers.

CoachChaz
10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I guess we'll eventually see just how horrible the Vikings are and just how great the Bengals are. if they prove it...the rankings will change. Until then....

MNPatsFan
10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I guess we'll eventually see just how horrible the Vikings are and just how great the Bengals are. if they prove it...the rankings will change. Until then....Coach I didn't say the Vikings are horrible, just that they have played and will play an extremely easy schedule. If they don't go 6-0 to start the season then they f'ed up. IMHO, they aren't the #1 team in the NFL.

I also never said the Bengals were great.:laugh:

CoachChaz
10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Coach I didn't say the Vikings are horrible, just that they have played and will play an extremely easy schedule. If they don't go 6-0 to start the season then they f'ed up. IMHO, they aren't the #1 team in the NFL.

I also never said the Bengals were great.:laugh:

I was generalizing with my comment.

I think the Vikes will eventually light it up. They wont score 40 points simply because they dont have to. I just dont see that defense playing so average all season long. Eventually, they'll get into a rhythmn and it will be scary.

Cincy beat Pitt the same way Chicago beat Pitt. Lack of Troy P. Tell me he doesnt defend or intercept Cutler's late TD and defend a few of the passes on Palmers last drive. Carter has been a step or two behind every play. Troy is always a step or two ahead.

MNPatsFan
10-02-2009, 12:03 PM

I think the Vikes will eventually light it up. They wont score 40 points simply because they dont have to. I just dont see that defense playing so average all season long. Eventually, they'll get into a rhythmn and it will be scary.

Cincy beat Pitt the same way Chicago beat Pitt. Lack of Troy P. Tell me he doesnt defend or intercept Cutler's late TD and defend a few of the passes on Palmers last drive. Carter has been a step or two behind every play. Troy is always a step or two ahead.Ok, Troy P doesn't defend or intercept Cutler's late TD and defend a few of the passes on Palmer's last drive. There now you happy. ;)

Coach, I don't believe what I wrote, but you told me to tell you that.
:laugh:

Finally, I have made no comment on Cincy and how good or bad I think they are. I only posted my opinion that I don't believe the Vikes are the best team in the NFL at this time. :D Top 3 or 5 for sure, but not the best IMHO.:salute:

Poet
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Cincy beat Pitt the same way Chicago beat Pitt. Lack of Troy P. Tell me he doesnt defend or intercept Cutler's late TD and defend a few of the passes on Palmers last drive. Carter has been a step or two behind every play. Troy is always a step or two ahead.

And that's fine, but I can nitpick every win. Minnesota shouldn't be number one because to quote you "their coach lost their game". Punish them. The Saints are too high because they haven't beaten anyone good and the only team that they faced was without its starting QB. They still have no defense.

I can go on and on and on. But you can't really have SF in front of us. Ask yourself who they beat, and then ask yourself who we beat. If we're going to do this thing where we look at every play and rationalize it then fine, watch my inner homer come out.

Cincinnati should be ranked like a 3-0 team because a fluke play is the only reason they have a loss. Because of that they should be treated as a 3-0 in terms of the power rankings.

Now that above is absolute garbage. Cincinnati lost because their safety was out of place and they consistently drove the ball on the Broncos and botched it. If Cincinnati wanted to not lose a game like that they should have put points on the board when they had a chance.

But that stupid line of thought that I just used in the bold is of the same train of thought that you used on us in our win against Pittsburgh. You pointed out that Troy P was out, but you didn't point out that Chris Henry played hurt, our starting LG was out, and that Jonathan Joesph was playing on a bum ankle.

Now I know that you didn't know that, or took it into consideration. I also know that they didn't stop the game for us in the 2005 WC when Palmer tore his ACL.

Regardless of him being out that win is still more impressive for than anything most of the teams ahead of us have done (I'm talking about the 2-1s).