PDA

View Full Version : Beware . . . the Broncos?

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Beware . . . the Broncos? (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/29/beware-the-broncos/)

Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2009 7:23 AM ET
Last week, some were calling the Broncos the worst 2-0 team in league history.

Now, some are calling them the worst 3-0 team in league history.

The way they're going, they've got a chance to end up being something other than the worst 5-0 team in league history, too.

Next up? Home games against the Cowboys and the Patriots.

Look at the official standings (http://www.nfl.com/standings). In three games, the Broncos have allowed 16 points.

That's 5.3 points per game.

And, yes, they've been fortunate to build confidence against the likes of the Browns and the Raiders. But Week Two and Week Three have helped provide context for that Week One miracle against the Bengals.

Yes, the Broncos won the thing via a once-in-a-century bounce of the ball. But to hold the Bengals at home to seven points looks pretty darn impressive given what the Bengals have since done at Green Bay and against the Steelers.

So what's happening in Denver? It might not be a fluke. Now that Jay Cutler is long gone and the broomstick has been removed from Brandon Marshall's butt, the word is getting out that players appreciate their young head coach, Josh McDaniels.

"He's all about the details (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/8815/broncos-believe-they-have-a-special-coach)," defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday told ESPN.com's Bill Williamson after the Broncos defeated the Raiders. "He breaks down every potential game situation. He knows our upcoming opponent so well. . . . Take age out of this thing. He's got football knowledge that goes way beyond his years. I really think something special is happening here."

For now, Holliday doesn't have a lot of company in that sentiment. If the Broncos can knock off the Cowboys and the Patriots, Holliday might have to start throwing people off the bandwagon as they try to climb aboard for a ride to San Diego and a Monday night game against the Chargers.

Dirk
09-29-2009, 08:28 AM
and the broomstick has been removed from Brandon Marshall's butt,

Good article...but the above quote just struck me as absolutely funny as hell. :lol:

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 09:40 AM
What gets me is one of the worst 3-0 teams in league HISTORY. Really??? We are beating bad teams like a good team should. Sure hope McD shows this to the team to fire them up.

claymore
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
What gets me is one of the worst 3-0 teams in league HISTORY. Really??? We are beating bad teams like a good team should. Sure hope McD shows this to the team to fire them up.

I hope he beats Dallas, NE, and SD. then they/me will shut up.

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 09:54 AM
I hope he beats Dallas, NE, and SD. then they/me will shut up.

Yeah, it we continue to improve at the rate we currently are I give us a sluggers chance against all. :beer:

Dortoh
09-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Screw it I'm on board 19-0 baby Whooooooo

TheDave
09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Screw it I'm on board 19-0 baby Whooooooo

Oh boy... Now were screwed. :D

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes we have beaten bad team but the one thing we can't do against good teams that we have done over last three weeks is leave points on the field.

topscribe
09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes we have beaten bad team but the one thing we can't do against good teams that we have done over last three weeks is leave points on the field.

That and the Broncos didn't just beat those bad teams: they blew them out.

And it is amazing some people are still listing Cincy as one of those bad teams.
I'll bet there are several teams who would like to be so bad they beat GB and
Pitt in successive weeks . . .

-----

NightTrainLayne
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I've seen this comment: "Worst 3-0 team in history" in two different articles.

I have to laugh because last year I commented more than once after we were 3-0 that we were the worst 3-0 team ever. . .this TEAM is better than last year's 3-0 team.

Shazam!
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
'Experts and analysts' like Mike and Mike on ESPN radio are just smitten with the NYJ.

topscribe
09-29-2009, 10:36 AM
'Experts and analysts' like Mike and Mike on ESPN radio are just smitten with the NYJ.

Ryan has done a good job with that defense. But then he's a defensive mind.

What impresses me is what happened with the Broncos' defense after bringing in an offensive mind . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Very true. It looked like we were going to score on the first carry by Hillis as Hochstein seemed to be clearing a running lane for him but it was called back for a false start I think. We tried that play a couple times after that but the defense knew exactly what we were trying to do and stopped it with ease.

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 10:40 AM

The Saints are going to shred the Jets

broncofaninfla
09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Ryan has done a good job with that defense. But then he's a defensive mind.

What impresses me is what happened with the Broncos' defense after bringing in an offensive mind . . .

-----

That says a lot about Nolan IMO :beer:

topscribe
09-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Yup, if you're an offensive wizard, do offense . . . and bring in the best
defensive mind you can find. Contrast Nolan against Slowick . . .

-----

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 11:02 AM

I would have liked for McDaniels to pursue Dom Capers, but I wasn't disappointed in the least when Nolan was hired.

BroncoWave
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd rather be the worst 3-0 team the the best 2-1, 1-2, or 0-3 team. It's like the guy who finishes last in his graduating class at med school. He's still just as much a doctor as the guy who finished first.

CoachChaz
09-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I would have liked for McDaniels to pursue Dom Capers, but I wasn't disappointed in the least when Nolan was hired.

I like Nolan more than Capers. They are both 3-4 guys, but Nolan keeps things a little simpler for the players. Watch a GB game...there are some plays where those guys are just flat out confused. Kampman is lost on every play where he isnt bull-rushing. Hawk is nowhere to be found. Rouse racked up tackles, but blew enough assignments to get released.

Nothing against Capers, but Nolan was better for us and the transition we made.

underrated29
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
HERE Is what i do not get.

Everyone said we were going to suck and be a top 5 pick. Maybe #1 overall. We were supposed to be one of the worst teams out there. Now when we are winning they say well they played the browns and raiders. Two really crappy teams that they should have beat.

How were we supposed to beat them if we are worse or on their same level. Everyone has completely side stepped that fact. We all know the lions are terrrible, yet when they win the country celebrates.

So supposedly we all knew the broncos are/were terrible, yet when we win it was- ah they were supposed to beat those guys.

Makes no sense to me. You have to be contstant, level. It seems like most of them are not.....I dont like that. You were wrong, great, you were wrong. You were right, ok, you were right. But you cant flip flop back and forth.

Thats what Mel Kiper does. Thats why i dont like him.

roomemp
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
This team has me super excited. Unlike the last 10 years, when this team has a lead.....We are putting away teams. McDaniels commitment to detail is amazing. I remember a report shortly after he was hired that stated he was retooling the teams cafe to help with nutrition. After I heard this, I said this guy seems like the real deal..........Leave no stone unturned. Evaluate everything. Hold everyody accountable. Putting people in a position to succeed

Traveler
09-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I liked it better when we were viewed as the underdog!

It'll be interesting to see if some of the Shahanan team traits still remain. What happened in the past was the media starts writing good things about us because we are playing well.

The team evidently starts to read the press clippings. Next thing you know, they fail to show up at the next game and get blown out.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this weekend.

TXBRONC
09-29-2009, 02:44 PM
HERE Is what i do not get.

Everyone said we were going to suck and be a top 5 pick. Maybe #1 overall. We were supposed to be one of the worst teams out there. Now when we are winning they say well they played the browns and raiders. Two really crappy teams that they should have beat.

How were we supposed to beat them if we are worse or on their same level. Everyone has completely side stepped that fact. We all know the lions are terrrible, yet when they win the country celebrates.

So supposedly we all knew the broncos are/were terrible, yet when we win it was- ah they were supposed to beat those guys.

Makes no sense to me. You have to be contstant, level. It seems like most of them are not.....I dont like that. You were wrong, great, you were wrong. You were right, ok, you were right. But you cant flip flop back and forth.

Thats what Mel Kiper does. Thats why i dont like him.

We may still end up with a with a record worthy of top five pick (although is starting look very unlikely). But it really doesn't matter what our record is since we don't our natural first round pick in next year's draft. If Denver beats a few of the teams they are suppose lose too then media will come around especially if we end up in the playoffs.