PDA

View Full Version : Marshall has role that says he's receptive

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. — Given choices with how to handle an unhappy Brandon Marshall, the Broncos decided to hold firm.

They didn't trade him, as he requested over the summer. They didn't pay him, at least not anything more than the $2.198 million salary he will draw this year. They didn't put up with his sulking.

Early evidence suggests the tough love the Broncos bestowed upon their young star receiver was the correct approach. Who can argue with 3-0?

After making a game-high five catches for 67 yards and one touchdown Sunday in helping the Broncos defeat the Oakland Raiders 23-3, it appears Marshall is back.

"I don't know where I ever went," Marshall said. "I'm excited how we started and just looking forward to Dallas this week."

When Brandon Stokley, the Broncos' top receiver from the first two games, went down last week with a deep thigh bruise, Marshall became more involved in the offensive game plan as the team prepared for the Raiders.

After catching at least 100 passes in each of the past two seasons, Marshall seemed eager for the extra work.

"Brandon had a great week of practice," Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton said, "which translated into a great game. If we can get that out of myself and him and the rest of the offense — this is the best week of practice that we've had as a team."

Marshall was a factor early against Oakland, making a 14-yard catch-and-run on the second play of the Broncos' first possession. He then started their second drive with a 5-yard run on a reverse and finished it with a 2-yard touchdown reception.

Marshall's touchdown ended his personal five-game scoring drought dating to Game 13 of the 2008 season against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Despite his slow start — Marshall had seven catches for 61 yards in the Broncos' first two games — he is on pace for 64 receptions. Still way below his norm, but perhaps he is just getting started.

DenBronx
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
this kid is really working hard and trying to put all of his contract issues behind him. he just wants to play football at this point. good to see him do well yesterday. marshall should start putting up good numbers, he seems to have found a rythm with orton.

TXBRONC
09-28-2009, 01:45 PM
this kid is really working hard and trying to put all of his contract issues behind him. he just wants to play football at this point. good to see him do well yesterday. marshall should start putting up good numbers, he seems to have found a rythm with orton.

As several people including myself have said the offense is better with him on the field than without him.

broncobryce
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
As much as I hate to say it, maybe Stokley's injury was a blessing in disguise?

Slick
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I have been highly critical of Marshall over the last couple of months, never rooting for his failure, but disappointed in some of his actions. Stay on track Brandon. It will not only benefit you, but the team you play for. I'm happy for him.

Tned
09-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm guessing that Carol's bolded part about "I don't know where I ever went" was probably in response to a question like "Is it good to be back" or something like that, and him responding with his version "I never left to begin with".