PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: Week 3

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9407

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos running attack was clicking on all cylinders in Sunday's 23-3 win at Oakland, as Correll Buckhalter and Knowshon Moreno continue to prove themselves as a solid one-two punch.

Buckhalter needed just 14 carries to amass a team-high 108 yards on the ground. Meanwhile, Moreno left Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum with his first career rushing touchdown, a 7-yard third-quarter scamper, and 90 yards on 21 carries.

In all, the club totaled a season-high 215 rushing yards, and the secret to that total might be fresh legs. Of 96 handoffs this season, 46 went to Moreno, 31 have been to Buckhalter, 15 have gone to LaMont Jordan and four have landed in the hands of Peyton Hillis.

To Head Coach Josh McDaniels, that has been the game plan from day one.

"When one gets tired, the other goes in," McDaniels said. "We just kind of try to keep a fresh back in the game most of the time. We don't really have a planned formula. We don't set it out in certain carries. One of them may get some if they're on a longer drive. Then one of them may get more than the other. But we just try to keep them fresh. That's what we do."

With a team-leading 230 rushing yards, Buckhalter, said he is happy with the running back rotation. He believes the method allows the team to wear down opposing defenses.

Of course, an effective offensive line never hurts, either.

Both Buckhalter, who tallied runs of 34 and 23 yards, and Moreno were quick to praise their blockers for opening up those holes all day long against a physical Raiders defensive front.

"The offensive line opened up big holes, Moreno said. "What I tried to do was just hit the hole as hard as I can. I think Buck did the same thing, all the running backs. But it was a good day from the whole team."

McDaniels said he wants the running back to be a large part of the team's offensive attack each week. As of Sunday night, the club ranked fourth in the league in rushing after three games, and after establishing the running game for the second-straight week, McDaniels hopes the team can continue to build momentum on the ground.

"We feel like we can run the ball and we have to run the ball," he said. It's going to be a part of our plan every week. We just found some good things to go to work on this week and some good schemes. But we got great execution for the most part. Hard running by the backs. Most of those yards weren't easy, but we got some yards after contact and we've got some good backs and as long as we keep running it this way, it will give us a chance."

A VETERAN SAVVY PLAY

Brian Dawkins has made his share of intelligent plays over his 14-year NFL career.

On Sunday, the seven-time Pro Bowler added another one to his list.

With the Broncos leading 20-3 midway through the third quarter, Oakland looked to snatch the game's momentum after forcing Denver into its first offensive turnover of the season, a fumble by Buckhalter deep in the Broncos' own territory.

The play gave JaMarcus Russell's unit the ball inside the red zone, and an opportunity to get back into the game.

Two plays later, Dawkins quickly put a stop to that momentum - making a savvy veteran play to give the ball back to the Broncos offense.

On a 2nd and five from the Denver 11-yard line, Darren McFadden lost the ball after a jarring hit by D.J. Williams. Dawkins was out of bounds as the ball sat free on the ground. Alert to his location, Dawkins swiftly jumped back inbounds, reestablished himself on the field of play, and then cradled the ball into his possession.

The Raiders challenged the play -- believing Dawkins was out of bounds when he snagged the ball, but the defensive captain knew from the get-go that he had made a correct play on the ball.

"I've watched the game long enough and I've played long enough to know that just like a receiver you need to have your two feet inbounds and establish yourself back on the field of play before you can recover the ball," Dawkins said.

DUMERVIL, FRONT SEVEN STOUT AGAIN

The Broncos' defensive unit put together a stellar performance against the Raiders on Sunday in Oakland, holding their AFC West rival to 137 total yards of total offense and forcing three turnovers while also recording three sacks.

Elvis Dumervil accounted for two of those sacks, while also making five solo tackles on the afternoon.

Not at all a bad way for the outside linebacker/defensive end to follow up last week's four-sack performance against the Cleveland Browns.

For the second-straight week, Dumervil credited his teammates for allowing him to attack the quarterback.

"I'm blessed. I'm around a lot of guys -- I might make the play sometimes, but there's a lot of guys around me and you can't do it by yourself," Dumervil said. "Either the opposite side is having good pressure or the secondary is covering well -- everything is jelling in together and I was able to make some plays."

SPECIAL TEAMS SHINES AGAIN

Perhaps overshadowed in the Broncos' first AFC West victory of the season was a solid all-around performance by kicker Matt Prater.

Prater connected on all three of his field goal attempts Sunday afternoon, drilling kicks from 21, 24 and 48 yards out. The third-year kicker put forth a tremendous performance in the kickoff game, too. All six of his kickoffs landed in the end zone and three of those kicks resulted in touchbacks.

While Prater kept busy with kickoffs, field goals and extra points throughout the day, his special teams correspondent, Brett Kern, had a much lighter afternoon.

Thanks to a jelling offense and a turnover-happy defense, Kern didn't attempt his first punt of the game until 8:22 left in regulation. He made the most of the opportunity, booming the kick 48 yards for a touchback.

In a game in which the offense and defense shined, special teams made its share of plays in helping the club to a 3-0 start.

"It's a team game -- offense, defense and special teams, we all work together," Williams said.