PDA

View Full Version : 3-0

ursamajor
09-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Congrats on your 3-0 start. Make no mistake about it, the Broncos are a team that no one wants to play right now.

Northman
09-27-2009, 06:37 PM
And neither are the Bears. Jay is showing why he is a great talent. Hopefully the baby antics are out of his system. Good luck to you.

Kaylore
09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I agree. We're if nothing else not going to beat ourselves. I have a lot of confidence in our defense and special teams coverage. I have a lot of faith in Orton to not do something stupid. Two games we've dominated.

We played two teams with the worst QB's in the NFL, so we need to have some caution. Playing against better offenses will cut down the 20 point margins of victory we've been seeing. However we're still going to win a lot of games playing this way and some will be during the coming tough stretch.

bronc kid
09-27-2009, 06:41 PM
i think its a miracle enjoy it while u can though because all we got after this are hard hitting im going to rape you teams okay almost every single one of them till like week 9 are last years play off teams except the cowboys who are no push overs by any standards hope the broncos can keep it up against the next couple of teams we face

Skinny
09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Best thing is we seem to be improving every week, and in all 3 phrases of the game. Now i'm not expecting us to go undefeated or anything but we're playing good football right now and that's all that matters. Hopefully that keeps up with the schedule that lies ahead of us. :knockonwood:

Nomad
09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree. We're if nothing else not going to beat ourselves. I have a lot of confidence in our defense and special teams coverage. I have a lot of faith in Orton to not do something stupid. Two games we've dominated.

We played two teams with the worst QB's in the NFL, so we need to have some caution. Playing against better offenses will cut down the 20 point margins of victory we've been seeing. However we're still going to win a lot of games playing this way and some will be during the coming tough stretch.

It's a good thing we did play these teams so the BRONCOS can find themselves and build confidence. Cincy game proved we had a good defense and ball awareness! Hopefully they take this with them and keep building chemistry within the team but I'm fully aware of what's ahead. Btw, good assessment!

Tned
09-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Best thing is we seem to be improving every week, and in all 3 phrases of the game. Now i'm not expecting us to go undefeated or anything but we're playing good football right now and that's all that matters. Hopefully that keeps up with the schedule that lies ahead of us. :knockonwood:

Each week we have played a worse team, but I agree, it does 'look' like we are improving.

The next two weeks will go a long way to showing us how good this team really is.

horsepig
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I've argued with Jr. all off-season about the schedule. The schedule is absolutely immaterial. You play who they put on the field.

Some of these seemingly invincible teams are looking a little bit vulnerable right now.

buffsroam
09-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Are you sure we want to congratulate them. 3-0 is not that hard. All you have to do is win 3 games in a row.

Come on (haters) McD(add your own childish word). He had to have made some mistakes. And Orton was not perfect. Lets rip on every step, breath and move he made. Come on. Where is the hate (I mean love) that comes from all you true Broncos fans.

I can think of a lot of teams that wish they where 3-0 at this point of the season. Now we have to deal with some tougher teams. Lets see how it plays out. Many of you wanted to run McD out of town before he even coached a game. Where are you now?

nbenallo33
09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
who would have thought? lets go broncos!!!

gobroncsnv
09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Well, the Browns just blow, there's no doubt about that... But look at what both other opponents have done. Bengals just beat the Steelers, and ripped up on the Pack last week. Raiders had a good game against the Boltz, and beat an awful KC team.

Skinny got it right, we are showing improvement each game, especially the D. This is NOT a "we're going to the playoffs" post... How much longer will it be required to include that in a positive post, by the way? We face the worst of our schedule starting next week. But, I grant each of you permission to LIKE what you've seen so far. It's your choice to deny yourself that.

Northman
09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Even if we lose to really good teams i just want to beat the crappy teams which has plagued us the last few years. So far, aside from Cincy we have done that.

LoyalSoldier
09-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Well now that we have a 3-0 start through a slightly easier stretch, here comes the real test when we some really good football teams.

soonerjh
09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
at least the next two are at home, whew, what a schedule! Hopefully we win the next two to gain some mo for the road! we got a chance!

ursamajor
09-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, the Browns just blow, there's no doubt about that...

Mangini is an Idiot. Whatever your case may be against McDaniels, at least he had the sense to name his starting QB early. It allows for the rest of the offense to have a sense of stability, and allows the offensive line to get used to a particular cadence.

The whole QB dance going on in Cleveland will be their undoing. As a Bears fan, I am all too familiar with this.

Tned
09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
who would have thought? lets go broncos!!!

Me, for one:

This early, new coaches/schemes, possibly as many as 12 new starters, this is beyond crystal ball.

Sun Sep.13 at Cincinnati W
Sun Sep.20 VS. CLEVELAND W
Sun Sep.27 at Oakland W
Sun Oct. 4 VS. DALLAS L
Sun Oct.11 VS. NEW ENGLAND L
Mon Oct.19 at San Diego L
BYE WEEK
Sun Nov. 1 at Baltimore L
Mon Nov. 9 VS. PITTSBURGH L
Sun Nov.15 at Washington L
Sun Nov.22 VS. SAN DIEGO W
Thu Nov.26 VS. NEW YORK L
Sun Dec. 6 at Kansas City W
Sun Dec.13 at Indianapolis L
Sun Dec.20 VS. OAKLAND W
Sun Dec.27 at Philadelphia L
Sun Jan. 3 VS. KANSAS CITY W

So, 7-9.

Now, I think the first three games are winnable, but I have trouble believing we will start off 3-0. At the same time, I don't think we will then lose 6 straight, but based on the teams, home/away, etc., that's how it looks.

Like I said, it is REALLY hard to make a prediction right now, because there is so much we don't know. Will Moreno be ready for week 1, will Orton settle down and be productive and stop throwing picks, will our D start getting turnovers, will Marshall be on the team week 1, how long will it take the offense and defense to get comfortable with the new schemes and gel.

That was back on 8-23, so as I said, it was early and very hard to predict. Right now, all of my 'big questions' have swung in the Broncos favor (Orton not throwing picks, Marshall on the team, D getting turnovers, etc.).

After seeing the first three games, I really don't think we will lose six straight, which I even said I didn't think was likely in my prediction.

Still, as I have said several times, the next five games will really tell us what kind of team this is. The next two weeks will be a pretty good indication.

Dreadnought
09-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Too early for playoff talk, but McDaniels just passed one my personal tests. He beat the Raiders like a rented mule. Thats more important anyways for me. Playoffs are nice and all, but sweeping the Raiders makes a season a success - and we're halfway there ladies and gents.

And no, I don't prefer a close dramatic win v. the Faid. Humiliating and dominating beat downs are much preferred.

Devilspawn
09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Yall have a brutal stretch the next two months. I saw assured victories vs. Washington and Dallas before this game. 5-3 during that run wouldn't surprise me as long as Orton plays smart.

gobroncsnv
09-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Get'm, Dreads!

horsepig
09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Right now Tned, I see us winning at Wash. and splitting the upcoming 2=9-7.

Who knows though, the way these guys are playing why would anyone pick Dallas or NE against them? The Vegas guys are going "damned Broncos, you can never tell!".

Thnikkaman
09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
i think its a miracle enjoy it while u can though because all we got after this are hard hitting im going to rape you teams okay almost every single one of them till like week 9 are last years play off teams except the cowboys who are no push overs by any standards hope the broncos can keep it up against the next couple of teams we face

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20021011h.gif

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
We'll beat Dallas and the Patriots.

Lose to the Chargers in their home.

5-1.

Tned
09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, McDaniels streak of never being on a losing team is still alive. I'm pretty sure he said it went back to at least high school, and maybe longer, that he has never been part of a team below .500.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, McDaniels streak of never being on a losing team is still alive. I'm pretty sure he said it went back to at least high school, and maybe longer, that he has never been part of a team below .500.

Personally, I love the guy. For the first time since 1999, I'm excited about the Broncos' season.

honz
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
At this rate we'll go 16-0.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
At this rate we'll go 16-0.

Sarcasm?

honz
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Sarcasm?

I'm just saying that if we keep winning every game we will go 16-0. Simple logic! :salute:

I am no claymore...I am an optimist.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm just saying that if we keep winning every game we will go 16-0. Simple logic! :salute:

I am no claymore...I am an optimist.

OK, sorry. I get a few people here confused since I'm not on much anymore.

Tempus Fugit
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
We'll beat Dallas and the Patriots.

Lose to the Chargers in their home.

5-1.

Don't bet the house.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Don't bet the house.

Why not? Dallas is the most overrated team out there (as usual) and Josh knows the Patriots inside and out.

Care to explain your position?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
I feel we will win some games that NO ONE gave us a chance to win, and maybe more than less. I have total confidence that Coach McD knows what he is doing.

Tned
09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Personally, I love the guy. For the first time since 1999, I'm excited about the Broncos' season.

I've been excited mny times since '99, including when we went 13-3 and were one game from the SB.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I've been excited mny times since '99, including when we went 13-3 and were one game from the SB.

Just stating that we're heading in a new direction for the first time in a while.

I'm pumped.

Tned
09-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Just stating that we're heading in a new direction for the first time in a while.

I'm pumped.

I'm excited, too. Despite offseason mistakes, the reports out of training camp had me excited, and the team is performing great. I just am not part of the crowd that writes off one of the winningest teams in the NFL over the last 10 years as a failure.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm excited, too. Despite offseason mistakes, the reports out of training camp had me excited, and the team is performing great. I just am not part of the crowd that writes off one of the winningest teams in the NFL over the last 10 years as a failure.

3-0.

What mistakes?

Tned
09-27-2009, 08:41 PM
3-0.

What mistakes?

I'm in too good a mood to go down this road again, so I will direct you to ask Pat Bowlen who said that McDaniels made rookie mistakes in the offseason.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm in too good a mood to go down this road again, so I will direct you to ask Pat Bowlen who said that McDaniels made rookie mistakes in the offseason.

Nice cop-out.

Shazam!
09-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Where are all the McDaniels haters now?

Spagnuolu/Rams- 0-3
Morris/Bucs: 0-3
McDaniels/Broncos with a QB who 'sucks' that nearly everyone including alleged fans left for dead: Priceless

I don't wanna hear bout the schedule either. NE, Dallas, Philly, Pitt and Indy are all very beatable teams if the defense shows up, and I don't mean KO D like we've been seeing. I mean if the defense-formerly-known-as-the-07/08-Broncos doesn't show up, Denver can compete competently against anybody right now. The 40-something losses we've been used to seeing are over.

These Boys have something in the tank right now. McD and co. are doing a fantastic job. I could not ask for more.

SD will still be tough. They got very hot in spurts against Miami and an overall good defense.

Being 3-0 all but assures the Broncos aren't going to lose the next 13 to go 3-13 or 4-12 as some predicted.

Pat Bowlen is sitting somewhere very happy, after all the heat this season he has to be feeling good.

Teams that were once supposed to kill Denver are looking vulnerable right now.

One game at a time folks.

Bring on those ****** ******* ******* Cowboys.

Go :defense:

Kaylore
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Punctuation is your friend.

Tned
09-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Nice cop-out.

It's not a cop-out. Your premise that being 3-0 means NO offseason mistakes were made is ridiculous. Why rehash months and months of discussions about what was or wasn't a mistake. The owner of the team stated mistakes were made. If that isn't good enough for you, nothing I say will be.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 09:14 PM
It's not a cop-out. Your premise that being 3-0 means NO offseason mistakes were made is ridiculous. Why rehash months and months of discussions about what was or wasn't a mistake. The owner of the team stated mistakes were made. If that isn't good enough for you, nothing I say will be.

3-0, Tned. How does that translate into offeseaon mistakes?

Guess I need a lesson in what success is...

Edit - I didn't hear/read where Mr. Bowlen said mistakes were made. Enlighten me?

Tned
09-27-2009, 09:18 PM

No, just in logic.

Are you HONESTLY going to try and make the case that having a 3-0 record means it is IMPOSSIBLE that any off season mistakes were made? That the owner of the Broncos doesn't know diddly about football?

Come on, give me a break.

I'm not a McDaniels hater, but neither am I an orange glasses, he has done no wrong, little sheep.

The guy made mistakes. The owner stated it, and anyone that watched the offseason unfold knows it.

That said, by all accounts, he brought a new and improved intesity and philosiphy to training camp, has a good staff, knows what he wants, and is coaching winning football.

One doesn't exclude the other.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
No, just in logic.

Are you HONESTLY going to try and make the case that having a 3-0 record means it is IMPOSSIBLE that any off season mistakes were made? That the owner of the Broncos doesn't know diddly about football?

Come on, give me a break.

I'm not a McDaniels hater, but neither am I an orange glasses, he has done no wrong, little sheep.

The guy made mistakes. The owner stated it, and anyone that watched the offseason unfold knows it.

That said, by all accounts, he brought a new and improved intesity and philosiphy to training camp, has a good staff, knows what he wants, and is coaching winning football.

One doesn't exclude the other.

Just curious: How does an undefeated team equal mistakes in the offeseaon? Seems to me that he made all the right decisions during the offseason to have the success he's had thus far.

Your logic, sir, if flawed.

Tned
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Edit - I didn't hear/read where Mr. Bowlen said mistakes were made. Enlighten me?

Guess you slept through the offseason. Consider yourself enlightened.

His new coach, Josh McDaniels, committed "rookie mistakes," but he fully supports him and is growing more assured he will be outstanding in the long term.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12281980

Tned
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Just curious: How does an undefeated team equal mistakes in the offeseaon? Seems to me that he made all the right decisions during the offseason to have the success he's had thus far.

Your logic, sir, if flawed.

Ok, so you are stating that EVERY time that a Shanahan team started 3-0, it meant that his offseason was FLAWLESS? Mistake free?

Is that what you are saying.

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to rehash discussions from months ago, and I was baited into it with the digs.

Let's agree to disagree.

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Guess you slept through the offseason. Consider yourself enlightened.

I didn't sleep though the offseason, Tned. Bowlen has never been a "football" owner. Have you slept through the past 20 years?

BroncoJoe
09-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok, so you are stating that EVERY time that a Shanahan team started 3-0, it meant that his offseason was FLAWLESS? Mistake free?

Is that what you are saying.

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to rehash discussions from months ago, and I was baited into it with the digs.

Let's agree to disagree.

I'm just sick and tired of the McDaniels' bashing and/or excuses. If the team does well, it's luck. If it does bad, it's his fault.

He made the right decisions this offseason. Like it or not, we're a completely new team that is 3-0. Not many people expected that.

Shazam!
09-27-2009, 09:30 PM
The offseason is over.

Denver is 3-0.

Nolan has paid off in spades and the best DC since Robinson.

McD has done a wonderful job thus far.

Period.

Tned
09-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm just sick and tired of the McDaniels' bashing and/or excuses. If the team does well, it's luck. If it does bad, it's his fault.

He made the right decisions this offseason. Like it or not, we're a completely new team that is 3-0. Not many people expected that.

Well take a pill if you are so sick.

Where have I said it was 'luck'. Where have I bashed McDaniels. I have primarily been praising him. When the early camp reports came out, I stated that what he and Nolan were putting in sounded great, that we would likely have the most fundamentlaly sound team we have seen in years. That hopefully all the missed tackles would be gone. Etc.

Anyway, as I said, why can't we just agree to disagree on the other stuff? Why must people slam anyone that disagrees with them? Mind boggling.

honz
09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I won't lie. There are times where I lay in bed at night and wonder what this team would be like with Cutler as our QB. We may have been better offensively, but then again Jay might have split the locker room and hurt the chemistry and cohesion of the team. We will never know...but I am happy with our current QB that wants to be here and is a team first guy. Plus, he hasn't played all that bad and seems to be improving from week to week...and let's not forget that he is playing out of his comfort zone with an injured finger and a glove that he doesn't like (an injury that is likely pretty painful since he is being forced to wear the glove). //enD TweeT

frauschieze
09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
K guys....moving on.

3-0 feels pretty damn good, doesn't it?

Day1BroncoFan
09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
3-0 is good for the soul.

honz
09-27-2009, 09:40 PM
:tsk:

Day1BroncoFan
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
3-0 is fun, enjoy.

:elefant:

ikillz0mbies
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
3-0. Simple as that. Forget all that off-season crap. The Broncos are going up against the strength of their schedule. This is where we really evaluate what the coaching staff has done with this team.

Great job by this Broncos team thus far. Vast improvements from last season. No one has expected the Broncos to be this good and aggressive on defense. The offense has improved with each game, especially Moreno who runs with determination. It is also a great sign to see an Orton-Marshall rapport developing. Once it finally clicks, the offense will be dangerous. The only thing that has me worried is Royal and his production. I'm being patient as the team is still progressing.

honz
09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
You are both being unreasonable. Agree to disagree or sumthin'!

3-0! Bronco fans should be happy and gleeful!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Early on, I felt that it appeared that Coach McD had made some mistakes, but I think now I realize that it was not mistakes, but moves he felt were necessary to make the team better.

Today during the game, the announcers talked about people being down on McD during the draft for taking Knowshon, rather than a defensive player, but then they stated that Knowshon was a great #1 pick, and that McD had built the D thru free agent signings.

I really do think Coach McD knows what he is doing.

Tned
09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
3-0. Simple as that. Forget all that off-season crap. The Broncos are going up against the strength of their schedule. This is where we really evaluate what the coaching staff has done with this team.

Great job by this Broncos team thus far. Vast improvements from last season. No one has expected the Broncos to be this good and aggressive on defense. The offense has improved with each game, especially Moreno who runs with determination. It is also a great sign to see an Orton-Marshall rapport developing. Once it finally clicks, the offense will be dangerous. The only thing that has me worried is Royal and his production. I'm being patient as the team is still progressing.

The more Marshall is on the field and produces, the more Royal will produce. Royal is a great receiver, but likely isn't physically dominant enough to be productive, even if double teamed or signed with the better CBs.

Last year, he caught the Raiders, and the world, by surprise in week 1, and then after that, had the benefit of the defense doubling or tripling Marshall the final 15 games.

This season, Marshall has been on and off the field, which means he isn't the 'focus' of the defense. Add to that the new offense and it only being his second year.

If Marshall resumes his #1 WR role on the team and is on the field most of the time, then Royal's production will likely go up again.

honz
09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
One other thing I am interested in seeing in order to evaluate how good this team really is...is I want to see how Orton and the O look when we are trailing late in a game and forced to pass/be agressive and NEED to score. We have seen that Orton can efficiently lead the O and take care of the football, but can we make plays in the passing game when we need to? I'm guessing we will find out within the next couple of weeks.

horsepig
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I won't lie. There are times where I lay in bed at night and wonder what this team would be like with Cutler as our QB. We may have been better offensively, but then again Jay might have split the locker room and hurt the chemistry and cohesion of the team. We will never know...but I am happy with our current QB that wants to be here and is a team first guy. Plus, he hasn't played all that bad and seems to be improving from week to week...and let's not forget that he is playing out of his comfort zone with an injured finger and a glove that he doesn't like (an injury that is likely pretty painful since he is being forced to wear the glove). //enD TweeT

I can't believe the finger thing. Orton gets a hi five for being tough.
This team with Cutler would have about 5-8 turnovers. 1-2 at best.
Just my opinion.

horsepig
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
One other thing I am interested in seeing in order to evaluate how good this team really is...is I want to see how Orton and the O look when we are trailing late in a game and forced to pass/be agressive and NEED to score. We have seen that Orton can efficiently lead the O and take care of the football, but can we make plays in the passing game when we need to? I'm guessing we will find out within the next couple of weeks.

Jusy who in the Hell do you want? Elway is gone, so is Cutler, and so is Plummer.

I went to that cold assed game against da bears, they beat us by wearing short sleeves. No joke, our guys were jumping around trying to keep warm while the bears just played football.

Plummer had no shot at a comeback in that game, you could just feel it. Cutler is the same way, some comebacks, but not when you really need them.

Shazam!
09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
All I know is I don't wanna hear "Well, Dallas sucks anyway" after our Orange and Blue Wrecking Crew tear them a new ******* Sunday at Mile High. They were to be the first measuring stick all offseason long looking at the schedule. This is regardless of what they do against Carolina Monday.

Sorry. The Cowboys and other tough teams on their schedule are very beatable right now. Period.

FanInAZ
09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Were 3-0 and I'm not surprised. This is what I predicted before the season. What has been a surprise is how fast our defense has been turned around from last season.

Our next 3 opponents are good, but not as good as I expected before the season started. Dallas, New England and San Diego are anything but a guarantied loses. I believe that we will be no worse then 4-2 by our bye week. Maybe even 5-1.

gregbroncs
09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
One other thing I am interested in seeing in order to evaluate how good this team really is...is I want to see how Orton and the O look when we are trailing late in a game and forced to pass/be agressive and NEED to score. We have seen that Orton can efficiently lead the O and take care of the football, but can we make plays in the passing game when we need to? I'm guessing we will find out within the next couple of weeks.I'd rather not find out actually. If we are always ahead when it comes down the stretch that means we are winning a lot of games. :cool:

That is obviously not realistic but I can dream. ;)

Northman
09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Us being at home vs Dallas and NE i can see us winning. NE hasnt really hit their stride yet and Dallas could go either way. Wash is terrible.

jrelway
09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
if our defense can play at this level through that brutal stretch of games, i dont see why we cant win them. lets keep pounding the rock!

Thnikkaman
09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Early on, I felt that it appeared that Coach McD had made some mistakes, but I think now I realize that it was not mistakes, but moves he felt were necessary to make the team better.

Today during the game, the announcers talked about people being down on McD during the draft for taking Knowshon, rather than a defensive player, but then they stated that Knowshon was a great #1 pick, and that McD had built the D thru free agent signings.

I really do think Coach McD knows what he is doing.

I think the only mistakes Bowlen and McDaniels made this offseason was letting the media circus get a little out of hand. Then again, maybe that was just making the appearance of a franchise in disarray.

aberdien
09-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Confidence is an important thing.

honz
09-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Jusy who in the Hell do you want? Elway is gone, so is Cutler, and so is Plummer.

I went to that cold assed game against da bears, they beat us by wearing short sleeves. No joke, our guys were jumping around trying to keep warm while the bears just played football.

Plummer had no shot at a comeback in that game, you could just feel it. Cutler is the same way, some comebacks, but not when you really need them.
LOL. What? I've been an Orton backer from the beginning...probably one of his biggest supporters early on. I'm not hating on the guy, just saying that we haven't seen him in a situation where he needs to take chances and force the issue a bit.

horsepig
09-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry Honz. I'm getting a little giddy.

LoyalSoldier
09-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Sorry Honz. I'm getting a little giddy.

Honestly dude just stop taking everything so personally and you should be ok. You don't need to jump in and defend the players anytime someone says something about them.

OrangeHoof
09-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Even as pessimistic as I was at the start of the season, I thought we'd win two of the first three and, were it not for one fluke play, I'd be exactly right. But the defense has been lights out now for a full month and that is certainly a pleasant surprise regardless of the competition. The true tests are dead ahead though. For all of you who bitched and moaned over the cardinal sin of losing a three-game division lead, you may want to ask yourself what your retort will be if we fall back to 3-3.

broncophan
09-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Even as pessimistic as I was at the start of the season, I thought we'd win two of the first three and, were it not for one fluke play, I'd be exactly right. But the defense has been lights out now for a full month and that is certainly a pleasant surprise regardless of the competition. The true tests are dead ahead though. For all of you who bitched and moaned over the cardinal sin of losing a three-game division lead, you may want to ask yourself what your retort will be if we fall back to 3-3.

Or.............if we fall back to 3-13.......:D

I agree......without looking....I think I predicted 5-11 for the season.......but even though our first 3 games appeared easy........with all the changes this team has made....winning 2 road games....3 weeks into the season.. is a pretty big deal............can't wait for the next few games......we get Dallas IN DENVER on a short week for them......4-0 just may happen....

GO BRONCOS!!!

EastCoastBronco
09-28-2009, 07:15 AM
All I can say for sure about this upcoming stretch of games is that McDaniels and crew will have these boys mentally and physically prepared for each of their opponents. That has been a huge part of our success so far.

Tned
09-28-2009, 07:28 AM
All I can say for sure about this upcoming stretch of games is that McDaniels and crew will have these boys mentally and physically prepared for each of their opponents. That has been a huge part of our success so far.

Agreed. I think the most impressive thing I read in the camp reports, was 'how' McDaniels, Nolan and the other coaches were working these guys. Things like the tackling drills, which gave me hope that the shoddy tackling we have seen for years would be over (and all indications are they are).

I would love to see us go 10-3 down the stretch, but it probably won't happen. However, I agree that this team looks like it will be prepared every week, and might get outplayed by a better team, but likely not lose because they team isn't ready to play.

I think the thing that has caught virtually everyone by surprised, from the biggest McDaniels chearleader to the biggest McDaniels skeptic, is how good this defense has looked (through the preseason and first three games).

While the next two weeks, and really the next five plus, will shows us how could and consistent this defense really is, I think it is fair to say that it has exceeded every one's expectations. Most people were saying that if we could improve this year to high teens or low twenties in defensive ranking, it would be a step in the right direction.

While we played a Bengals team with a QB that had missed most (or all) of the preseason, and two weak offenses in Cleveland and Oakland, I don't think many thought the Broncos would be ranked #1 in total defense and points given up (commandingly so in both) after game three.

TXBRONC
09-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Agreed. I think the most impressive thing I read in the camp reports, was 'how' McDaniels, Nolan and the other coaches were working these guys. Things like the tackling drills, which gave me hope that the shoddy tackling we have seen for years would be over (and all indications are they are).

I would love to see us go 10-3 down the stretch, but it probably won't happen. However, I agree that this team looks like it will be prepared every week, and might get outplayed by a better team, but likely not lose because they team isn't ready to play.

I think the thing that has caught virtually everyone by surprised, from the biggest McDaniels chearleader to the biggest McDaniels skeptic, is how good this defense has looked (through the preseason and first three games).

While the next two weeks, and really the next five plus, will shows us how could and consistent this defense really is, I think it is fair to say that it has exceeded every one's expectations. Most people were saying that if we could improve this year to high teens or low twenties in defensive ranking, it would be a step in the right direction.

While we played a Bengals team with a QB that had missed most (or all) of the preseason, and two weak offenses in Cleveland and Oakland, I don't think many thought the Broncos would be ranked #1 in total defense and points given up (commandingly so in both) after game three.

I agree. I was confident that Nolan would improve the defense but what they are way beyond where I thought they would be.

LTC Pain
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree. I was confident that Nolan would improve the defense but what they are way beyond where I thought they would be.

I agree also. I had just hoped from some positional or incremental improvement on defense. It seems Nolan has made great strides across the board. Special teams, the running game and Orton's game management without turnovers are equally surprising. 13 games left with a hard stretch over the next five. No conclusions yet but I like what I see on both sides of the ball and special teams. My fingers are crossed it will continue.

claymore
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Im going to remain to be negative. It seems to be working out for me. :D

TXBRONC
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Im going to remain to be negative. It seems to be working out for me. :D

Your sacrifice is appreciated. :laugh:

Dreadnought
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree also. I had just hoped from some positional or incremental improvement on defense. It seems Nolan has made great strides across the board. Special teams, the running game and Orton's game management without turnovers are equally surprising. 13 games left with a hard stretch over the next five. No conclusions yet but I like what I see on both sides of the ball and special teams. My fingers are crossed it will continue.

You know what though? Every year you can look back on a schedule in hindsight to find that a few of the games you thought would be brutal are in fact cream puffs - and conversely a couple of predicted "gimme" games turn out to have been rough as Hell. Maybe a couple of these outfits we're about to face this season ain't all that tough after all. The Redskins for example look awful - contrary to preseason predictions - and I'm glad we don't play Cinci again. The Steelers? They sure look quite mortal right about now. Cowboys? Overrated IMO.

TXBRONC
09-28-2009, 03:42 PM
You know what though? Every year you can look back on a schedule in hindsight to find that a few of the games you thought would be brutal are in fact cream puffs - and conversely a couple of predicted "gimme" games turn out to have been rough as Hell. Maybe a couple of these outfits we're about to face this season ain't all that tough after all. The Redskins for example look awful - contrary to preseason predictions - and I'm glad we don't play Cinci again. The Steelers? They sure look quite mortal right about now. Cowboys? Overrated IMO.

The Cowboys have a terrific tight end in Witten and a strong running game but their receiving corp doesn't seem all that impressive. The also some play makers on defense but so they seem beatable.

Lonestar
09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Each week we have played a worse team, but I agree, it does 'look' like we are improving.

The next two weeks will go a long way to showing us how good this team really is.

are they really worse teams or are we making them look that way?

I'm really baffled at the dramatic improvement that I have been seeing week to week..

I did not think we could improve that much ON D with this group of players.. thought the DB's would do well but the run stuffing and pressure on the QB well that came out of the clear blue..

the turn around on ST WOW what a difference a coach makes..

for that matter what a difference in attitude this HC has made..

we do not have a stable full of all pros on this team and so far they have exceeded my wildest prognostications..

Nomad
09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm really baffled at the dramatic improvement that I have been seeing week to week..

I did not think we could improve that much ON D with this group of players.. thought the DB's would do well but the run stuffing and pressure on the QB well that came out of the clear blue..

we do not have a stable full of all pros on this team and so far they have exceeded my wildest prognostications..

Good point JR! We'll find out but like another poster said McDaniels seems to have this team mentally and physically prepared for each game.

Tned
09-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Yes, they have clearly gotten worse each week. Cincy was the best of the three. Cleveland was worse than cincy, but not as bad as Oakland. Oakland sucks. Russel had 4 or 5 completions prior to his final drive of their last game.

I don't think too many people would argue that those three teams are ranked:

1. Cincy
2. Browns
3. Raiders

Which means each week the comptetion has gotten weaker, but at the same time, our wins have gotten more dominant.

I also think (and I don't think you had the benefit of watching this game, maybe not the others) that the Broncos are clearly getting better each week, on offense and even defense (even though defense has looked good from the get go.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, they have clearly gotten worse each week. Cincy was the best of the three. Cleveland was worse than cincy, but not as bad as Oakland. Oakland sucks. Russel had 4 or 5 completions prior to his final drive of their last game.

1. Cincy
2. Browns
3. Raiders

Which means each week the comptetion has gotten weaker, but at the same time, our wins have gotten more dominant.

I also think (and I don't think you had the benefit of watching this game, maybe not the others) that the Broncos are clearly getting better each week, on offense and even defense (even though defense has looked good from the get go.

I will agree that the Browns and Raiders are terrible - but not Cincy, who, after the loss to the Broncos, beat GB, and yesterday beat Pitt. I realize that we won the Cincy game on a miracle play; however, Cincy was not blowing us out 40 - 0 - we stayed up with them the whole game.

Lonestar
09-28-2009, 04:34 PM

I was hoping for moving up to the top twenty on D.. I suspect as the schedule moves on we will indeed drop back to top 15 anything below that will be a real plus.. top 10 not sure about but they have been playing well..

Lonestar
09-28-2009, 04:39 PM

1. Cincy
2. Browns
3. Raiders

Again I have to go back to are they that bad or did we make them look that bad..

I do not know..

are they worse each week or are we getting better each weak..

time will tell this next 6-8 games will make or break our season..

so far they have exceeded my expectations.. which where not getting blow out, not losing home games, no trap games and being awake for the east coast early games..

with improvement each week while getting used to a total make over scheme wise as well as and almost total rebuild of players..

Tned
09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I will agree that the Browns and Raiders are terrible - but not Cincy, who, after the loss to the Broncos, beat GB, and yesterday beat Pitt. I realize that we won the Cincy game on a miracle play; however, Cincy was not blowing us out 40 - 0 - we stayed up with them the whole game.

I didn't say Cincy was bad, I said each week our opponent has gotten weaker

Cincy is better than the Browns
the Browns are better than Oakland.

NightTrainLayne
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM

If we don't have a penalty call back a Daniel Graham 1st down inside the 15, and then have Orton take a sack that took us out of FG position, then we are up at least 9-0 before Cinci could make that drive.

We had that game in the bag, and shot ourselves in the foot on that last drive, letting Cinci stay in the game.

We won it on a miracle play, but we most assuredly played well enough to win that game without the miracle play if we just hadn't strung together a couple of bone-headed plays on our way into the red-zone.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2009, 04:48 PM
If we don't have a penalty call back a Daniel Graham 1st down inside the 15, and then have Orton take a sack that took us out of FG position, then we are up at least 9-0 before Cinci could make that drive.

We had that game in the bag, and shot ourselves in the foot on that last drive, letting Cinci stay in the game.

We won it on a miracle play, but we most assuredly played well enough to win that game without the miracle play if we just hadn't strung together a couple of bone-headed plays on our way into the red-zone.

Totally agree - we also had drives totally stopped by penalties, nice gains erased because of penalties. We should have beat Cincy easily.

Tned
09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Again I have to go back to are they that bad or did we make them look that bad..

I do not know..

are they worse each week or are we getting better each weak..

time will tell this next 6-8 games will make or break our season..

so far they have exceeded my expectations.. which where not getting blow out, not losing home games, no trap games and being awake for the east coast early games..

with improvement each week while getting used to a total make over scheme wise as well as and almost total rebuild of players..

If you get past the premise that I am trying to discount the wins, I think it will be easier to move forward.

Few people, anywhere in the football world, don't consider the Browns and Raiders terrible.

ESPN power rankings have the Browns 29th and Raiders 26th. Sportsline has them 31 and 25th. Foxsports 32 and 25.

They suck, AND the Broncos dominated them like they should.

However, the reason I swapped them in my order, is because Jamarcus Russell is playing at near historically bad levels for a starting QB. Before the Broncos game, the press was talking about how the Raiders might have to soon call him a bust and bench or cut him. Russe's passer rating against the Broncos was 22.6 against KC it was 46.0.

How bad Russel is playing and whether or not he can ever be a viable starting QB in this league was one of the main NFL storylines last week.

So, yes, the teams we played the last two weeks are among the worst in the NFL

AND

Yes, we dominated them the way they should be dominated.

AND

Saying Oakland and the Browns suck, is NOT code for "the Broncos suck and only won because the Browns and Raiders suck more".

Dreadnought
09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Totally agree - we also had drives totally stopped by penalties, nice gains erased because of penalties. We should have beat Cincy easily.

The other point on the Cincy game is we kept it close enough to get lucky and have it matter. That cuts two ways, which is why you want to bury bad teams like Oakland and the Browns so deep that no amount of luck can help them. We accomplished that. I'd make no apologies for beating two chump teams; thats who the scheduler set before us and we took care of things.

JDL
09-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Some random thoughts:

I still don't think we are a true playoff . But, you have to like what we've seen in terms of McDaniels establishing how he wanted to play and the team following through and executing. Ultimately, this season is only about laying a foundation and I think if we understand that as fans, as long as we get that we should be happy and anything extra is gravy.

The in-game adjustments have been fantastic and a real change from recent seasons.

I've personally thought we'd win between 7 and 9 if A LOT of things went well, so winning early isn't a big surprise, but let's not discount it either - many teams don't beat the teams they should... Green Bay at home against the Bengals... we are not talking about the Bengals being an elite team, maybe average to slightly above, but at home you should win that game.

Denver is at least theoretically in a tremendous position playoff-wise right now if you believe this team has that type of potential.

3-0 in the AFC, 1-0 Division Road Record

It is a lot to ask imo, but going 7-6 the rest of the way would give us around a 70% chance if not better of getting in, particularly with us likely to have good tiebreaker numbers. I think the two key games coming up are going to be NE and @SD. If somehow, we won those two games... I don't see any particular reason our focus shouldn't become division championship. We'd be 5-0 in the AFC and 2-0 in division road games.

For me though, I am more concerned about 1) the coaching - which has been very solid and appears could be great and 2) team effort/discipline - a plus turnover margin and a defense that just gets better as the game wears on is impressive.

I do see flaws that will become more noticeable as the level of competition increases.

A big D is going to give our OL run-blocking problems. We've changed the blocking scheme up and it has clearly been a bit of an adjustment for them. Not a lot of big holes actually. We get it right and will break a big one but too many times RBs are dodging players at the LOS or behind it. OL should get you the first 2-3yds (at least one as good as ours.) I am worried Ben Hamilton is not long for this team. He is undersized and I am not sure McDaniels really wants that (not that he needs mammoth lineman, just more physical.)

Had the Raiders been able to stick with the running game, they were at times exploiting us pretty good. I think because our DL is so-so and the LBs other than Davis have been somewhat inconsistent in the run game we could see teams pound us more. I think in all honesty the saving grace of our rush attack is that Bailey on one corner makes a lot of tackles and Dawkins is simply just a beast! In fact, I think the D could literally implode if we lost Dawkins... right now it all reminds me so much of Al Wilson's presence... he hurt his neck during that Seattle game we were dominating, he went out and we got blitzed and lost the game. The D literally cost us the playoffs that year and simply got worse each year thereafter to last years utter ineptitude. Quite frankly we need a young Defensive leader to take over for Dawkins... either at LB or S. I don't see that type of impact play from either our rookie safeties ... I think McBath could have a career like Renaldo Hill though.

In short, I think there are talent issues this team definitely needs to address, but that was simply impossible in one season. What does seem clear is that the system seems to be sound, so now it is just a matter of each year improving on our talent base. A stud LB and S would be at the top of my list.

Our Special teams returns have not been good and that has strained our field position battle somewhat. Can't believe we can't find someone electric to really get some more 30yd returns at least.

Offense, really my only issue is long-term whether Orton can be accurate. I don't think he is the final solution there (and I don't think many do), but I do believe he has shown he is more than sufficient to bide us time while we build the team up, and groom someone to take over one day.

All in all, it has been as I hoped, a fun team to watch because they actually make very few mistakes and seem to play together with a lot of energy and heart. Football just seems fun again... for them and us fans.

Shazam!
09-28-2009, 09:51 PM
They've gotten better significantly week to week as a new team should.

McDaniels came to a talented team, even without Cutler. Denver was not St. Louis or Detroit.

As for the defense's epiphany, I said it all offseason long, even if they didn;t change personnel substantially, a new system and a better DC can make a horrible defense into an even decent one.

Expectations have been exceeded thus far. A win vs. Dallas will go a long way.

broncophan
09-29-2009, 06:24 AM
The other point on the Cincy game is we kept it close enough to get lucky and have it matter. That cuts two ways, which is why you want to bury bad teams like Oakland and the Browns so deep that no amount of luck can help them. We accomplished that. I'd make no apologies for beating two chump teams; thats who the scheduler set before us and we took care of things.

I think......two road wins is huge for this team.......I don't care who the opponent is...not easy to win on the road...

I also have a feeling we will be looking for some "chump" teams......as we go through the brutal part of our schedule...

Dirk
09-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Even if the Broncos don't win another game (highly unlikely) they have already exceeded the expectations of a lot of the "experts". :D

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
I think......two road wins is huge for this team.......I don't care who the opponent is...not easy to win on the road...

I also have a feeling we will be looking for some "chump" teams......as we go through the brutal part of our schedule...

It's more important to go 8-0, or 7-1 at home.

Then, those two road games mean you're at least a 9 or 10 win team and have a legit shot at making a run in the post season.

Don't get me wrong, the two road wins are huge, but when the Broncos establish Mile High as a home field advantage again is when they will become a dominant force in the NFL again.

I'm excited though...and I learned that FOX' afternoon game this week in KC is Dallas-Denver...

Tned-Mobile
09-29-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm excited though...and I learned that FOX' afternoon game this week in KC is Dallas-Denver...

Good news for the Broncos' fans out of Denver and that don't have NFLST, but I hate that it's the Fox national game. With it being a featured Fox game, the announcers will be in love with the Cowboys.

claymore
09-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Good news for the Broncos' fans out of Denver and that don't have NFLST, but I hate that it's the Fox national game. With it being a featured Fox game, the announcers will be in love with the Cowboys.

Atleast its in Denver and we wont have to hear about that gosh dang jumbo screen.

MOtorboat
09-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Sorry, but whining about announcers is just annoying.

Tned-Mobile
09-29-2009, 12:15 PM

No need to be sorry, it's not my problem, seems to be your problem.

Speaking of the announcers, at least it isn't the love fest that Venturi and Madden used to have with the Cowboys when they were Fox's number one team. Drives me nuts when a 'national' announcing crew are homers for a team like you normally get from a local broadcast crew.

Lonestar
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM

unfortunately I do not get FOX.. so screwed again..

hope someone will have a link..

claymore
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
unfortunately I do not get FOX.. so screwed again..

hope someone will have a link..

LMAO! How do you not get fox!

Lonestar
09-29-2009, 02:29 PM

I agree with Tned on this I usually get the cowgirls anytime the play an AFC team and the announcing seems to be biased..

Lonestar
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
LMAO! How do you not get fox!

since I get the east and west coast feed for ABC, NBC and CBS I can't get the local packages..

at the time I ordered them all that was ever on FOX was the cowgirls I did not order fox as at that time the fox channel sucked.. had nothing I liked to watch..

the local fox comes in so poorly it is not worth watching..

broncophan
09-29-2009, 05:19 PM
It's more important to go 8-0, or 7-1 at home.

Then, those two road games mean you're at least a 9 or 10 win team and have a legit shot at making a run in the post season.

Don't get me wrong, the two road wins are huge, but when the Broncos establish Mile High as a home field advantage again is when they will become a dominant force in the NFL again.

Obviously.....home field advantage is huge.

I am excited as well......here in Ohio.......I will be watching the Broncos as well...