PDA

View Full Version : How come henry only got about 7 carries??

underrated29
12-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I tried ot check on some other sites, but to no avail. Does anyone know why young got the start and henry only recieved about 7 carries??

The only thing i can think of is because of his injury? Maybe they wanted to ease him back into it. Or did selvin just steal the job away?

BaiLeY324
12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Selvin is nice, Henry is wack

underrated29
12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Selvin is nice, Henry is wack

Lol.

--------

SBboundBRONCOS
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM
no its his injury, they didnt want to over do it with him and the only reason he played so much last week was because of selvins injury

selvin did very well today though :beer:

BroncoWave
12-09-2007, 11:20 PM
156 yards

next...

Stand Ablaze
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
no its his injury, they didnt want to over do it with him and the only reason he played so much last week was because of selvins injury

selvin did very well today though :beer:

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Stargazer
12-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I tried ot check on some other sites, but to no avail. Does anyone know why young got the start and henry only recieved about 7 carries??

The only thing i can think of is because of his injury? Maybe they wanted to ease him back into it. Or did selvin just steal the job away?

Cannot complain when Selvin runs for a buck56. Henry is banged up. It will be nice having a 1 2 punch next season with Selvin & Henry. Hall for the change of pace. With Selvin stepping up, Henry running healthy, and hall being the change of pace/backup Denver can look elsewhere this offseason via the draft/FA.

Though I'm sure Shanahan will bring in some nobody in the lower rounds or UDFA.

underrated29
12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
well i totally loved it as i was going up agaisnt henry in ff. But i was kinda surprised, thats all.

Glad to see he will see more carries. And i love what young did, and hope he does great, but i like hall so much more. But who cares as long as we keep running for 150+ and scoring 40 pts.

Stargazer
12-09-2007, 11:34 PM
well i totally loved it as i was going up agaisnt henry in ff. But i was kinda surprised, thats all.

Glad to see he will see more carries. And i love what young did, and hope he does great, but i like hall so much more. But who cares as long as we keep running for 150+ and scoring 40 pts.

FF is a lot of fun. But, Broncos running for 150+ and scoring 40 points is simply beautiful.

broncosfanscott
12-10-2007, 02:14 AM
FF is a lot of fun. But, Broncos running for 150+ and scoring 40 points is simply beautiful.

You got that right.

SR
12-10-2007, 02:17 AM
I try to never have Broncos on my team when I do FF. Works out better that way.

TXBRONC
12-10-2007, 08:15 AM

I would guess that it's because Henry is still not 100%.

Mike
12-10-2007, 09:00 AM
I can tell you this from being at the game...Young has better vision and is much more explosive than Henry. Be it Henry's age or injury...Young is simply better.

I can also tell you this...Henry better be prepared to get his pay reduced in the off-season to help the team. And after Marshall's performance this season, so had Walker.

pnbronco
12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I can tell you this from being at the game...Young has better vision and is much more explosive than Henry. Be it Henry's age or injury...Young is simply better.

I can also tell you this...Henry better be prepared to get his pay reduced in the off-season to help the team. And after Marshall's performance this season, so had Walker.

I thought so also LDB. We sat on the north end zone and Young just kept exploding and getting through those holes quickly. A couple of times things closed up quickly and he changed direction just that fast. It was fun to watch. Which was nice since I was at the SD game also.:D

Mike
12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
I thought so also LDB. We sat on the north end zone and Young just kept exploding and getting through those holes quickly. A couple of times things closed up quickly and he changed direction just that fast. It was fun to watch. Which was nice since I was at the SD game also.:D

I was also at the SD game. :tsk:

I was in the South Stands. I was pretty impressed with the North side. You guys were making a lot of noise. :beer:

Kapaibro
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Henry had 10 carries for 24 yds, 1 TD and a long of 6 yds.

omac
12-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Maybe; I'd like to see if they can get fully healthy first. Good as Young's played, I still think a healthy Travis Henry is much better. I can still remember how well he was rushing early in the season.

omac
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Oh, here's an article highlighting your point ....

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7679146

Value of Henry, Walker takes hit
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/10/2007 01:26:49 AM MST

Warm smiles of victory hide the cold business of the NFL.

On a Sunday when Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall flashed Pro Bowl potential and rookie Selvin Young dashed for 156 yards, there was also the harsh reality of expensive Denver veterans Javon Walker and Travis Henry looking vulnerable and very replaceable.

"My thing is to just keep on pushing, man," Young said. "To take advantage of every opportunity that I get and understand that it could be here today and gone tomorrow."

Behind every touchdown dance in a resounding 41-7 win over Kansas City is the unsentimental calculations of a football team that needs to get its business affairs in order.

If both Marshall and Young are bound for NFL glory, then Henry and Walker are destined for pay cuts, or worse, the exit door.

You want to remind us again why the Broncos went to all that trouble of fighting a marijuana rap against Henry, who served a reserve role against the Chiefs?

After watching Marshall play in the snow to celebrate a touchdown or walk through the Denver locker room wearing a fur coat, are you sure this town is big enough for two prima donna pass-catchers?

"It was for all my family and friends in Florida," said Marshall, explaining the happy mess he made playfully throwing snow in the end zone. "They don't get to see snow much, so I showed them some snow."

There's no denying the big-play chutzpah of Walker. Nevertheless, with a modest 20 receptions to his name in an injury-plagued season, it's also obvious coach Mike Shanahan is weary of stroking the ego of this high-maintenance veteran.

Walker was inactive against the Chiefs, and the Broncos did not miss him on an afternoon when the talk was about the three-year contract extension given Denver receiver Brandon Stokley.

With a huge bonus due Walker prior to the 2008 season, Denver management must decide if the 29-year- old veteran is worth the investment.

Henry might be an even tougher case for the Broncos in balancing dollars with sense.

Looking for a punishing, between-the-tackles runner Tatum Bell never was, Denver decided to sink five years and large coin in Henry, despite prior knowledge of illegitimate children and league drug violations, said general manager Ted Sund- quist.

Shanahan stood by his new tailback through the season- long distraction of Henry's fight with the league about a drug bust that was ultimately overturned on appeal, with the coach going so far as to cost himself a $25,000 fine for speaking up.

But after seeing Henry used sparingly against the Chiefs, as a goal-line masher and a garbage-time grunt, it's easy to envision how Shana- han will get back more than that $25,000 if he presses the running back to renegotiate a contract to the team's favor during the coming months.

"Folks better put Selvin Young on their fantasy teams," Broncos defensive end Tim Crowder warned me a month ago. I didn't listen. Stupid me.

So here's a shout out to the broadband-width speed that Denver has not enjoyed in the backfield since Clinton Portis ran the rock in this town.

As the latest out-of-the- blue success story for the Broncos, what the undersized Young must now prove is the durability to be more than a flash in the pan.

"I understand this business," Young said.

Except for three hours on Sunday, it's all business, and it figures to be cruel to Walker and Henry.

In the Not For Long, Henry and Walker are suddenly stuck in the same tough spot. They need to accept a reduction of salary, or face a prospect unthinkable six months ago: These guys could be on the street, looking for work.

If the Broncos can score 41 points with Walker in civvies and Henry parked on the bench, would Denver be smarter to spend the limited resources of salary cap football on more essential parts to this flawed team's future success, such as a big defensive tackle or a young safety?

In the NFL, you cannot have it all.

In a stadium that was waiting for good reason to stand up and cheer, Sunday was a rowdy coming-out party for Marshall and Young.

But, looking at the empty locker stalls of Henry and Walker 60 minutes after the game, it was impossible to ignore.

Somebody will have to pay for all this fun.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

Mike
12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I agree with the article. Not bad for Kizla.

Still...I didn't know that Walker was "high-maintenance". I like the guy, it just doesn make sense to pay him big money with his lingering knee problem.

NameUsedBefore
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if we let Walker go with Stokely signed on so soon.

underrated29
12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if we let Walker go with Stokely signed on so soon.

There is no way we let walker go. He is a top 10 reciever when healthy. Last year he was healhty, this year, no. Thats not to say he wont be next year. He will be.

It seems if we dont see someone for a while every all of a sudden dislikes them. henry, then when young was out everyone liked hall better, and so on and so forth. We have an elite set on offense, and subtracting a top 10 probowl reciever does not make sense.

Mike
12-10-2007, 12:15 PM
There is no way we let walker go. He is a top 10 reciever when healthy. Last year he was healhty, this year, no. Thats not to say he wont be next year. He will be.

It seems if we dont see someone for a while every all of a sudden dislikes them. henry, then when young was out everyone liked hall better, and so on and so forth. We have an elite set on offense, and subtracting a top 10 probowl reciever does not make sense.

It does if he has a knee problem (T.D.?). Denver cannot afford his salary hit if he is going to continue to have knee problems. If he doesn't agree to renegotiate his salary, then it isn't beyond reason to think he will get cut.

Hawgdriver
12-10-2007, 12:26 PM

I think that Young is getting the benefit of an outstanding young offensive line that is coming into it's own. I can't tell you how pleased I am at the results of Kuper and Myers. These guys are kickin' ass! I think that if Henry was injury-free, and in mid-season form, he would put up some big numbers, too. Selvin has certainly done more than his share of the work, but let's not forget to credit the line.

Marshall continues to amaze me. Marshall > the game--gotta love it!

pnbronco
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I was also at the SD game. :tsk:

I was in the South Stands. I was pretty impressed with the North side. You guys were making a lot of noise. :beer:

:beer: As did you your side. :beer:

pnbronco
12-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I think that Young is getting the benefit of an outstanding young offensive line that is coming into it's own. I can't tell you how pleased I am at the results of Kuper and Myers. These guys are kickin' ass! I think that if Henry was injury-free, and in mid-season form, he would put up some big numbers, too. Selvin has certainly done more than his share of the work, but let's not forget to credit the line.

Marshall continues to amaze me. Marshall > the game--gotta love it!

You know I was going to ask if I had on my orange colored glasses or did the O line do a better job? I would be watching and think wow does Curler still have the ball. When I saw Pears I asked him "how does it feel to be the old guy on the line", he just gave a who would of thought it smile and shook his head.:D

Lonestar
12-10-2007, 02:47 PM
This comment was in the article"

"But, looking at the empty locker stalls of Henry and Walker 60 minutes after the game, it was impossible to ignore."

Did I just see that their locker had been cleaned out?

Mike
12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
This comment was in the article"

"But, looking at the empty locker stalls of Henry and Walker 60 minutes after the game, it was impossible to ignore."

Did I just see that their locker had been cleaned out?

I read it like they just didn't hang around after the win.

Retired_Member_001
12-10-2007, 03:09 PM

They are both starting to sound like Simeon Rice.

I doubt we would get that attitude from Walker though, he is a class act. I don't see Travis sticking around though, he would want to go off and smoke something.

Mike
12-10-2007, 03:10 PM
They are both starting to sound like Simeon Rice.

I doubt we would get that attitude from Walker though, he is a class act. I don't see Travis sticking around though, he would want to go off and smoke something.

And find his next baby's mama.

Retired_Member_001
12-10-2007, 03:39 PM
And find his next baby's mama.

:laugh:

Fact is, Henry isn't fast enough. I would love to see how many 15+ yard carries Henry has had compared to Selvin Young, who has had less carries than Henry I should point out.

Lack of speed + Drug issues ( don't deny it ) + 9 fatherless children + Injury prone + plus clear stupidity (just listen to him in interviews, he sounds like he was educated by Elephants) = Problem.

pnbronco
12-10-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. I think Walker left right away, there was a cart that went to the parking lot right after the game. Then we saw Henry walk to his car pretty fairly soon after the game ended.

underrated29
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
:laugh:

Fact is, Henry isn't fast enough. I would love to see how many 15+ yard carries Henry has had compared to Selvin Young, who has had less carries than Henry I should point out.

Lack of speed + Drug issues ( don't deny it ) + 9 fatherless children + Injury prone + plus clear stupidity (just listen to him in interviews, he sounds like he was educated by Elephants) = Problem.

im not going to argue with you there wook. You hit the nail on the head.

But i think he is faster then he seems, and the injury is holding him back. We will have to see next year, but HOPEFULLY we will get Power+speed+stiff arm+better blocking+1 joint (chritmas presant)= badazz runningback for the broncos.

Lonestar
12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
im not going to argue with you there wook. You hit the nail on the head.

But i think he is faster then he seems, and the injury is holding him back. We will have to see next year, but HOPEFULLY we will get Power+speed+stiff arm+better blocking+1 joint (chritmas presant)= badazz runningback for the broncos.

I'll hope he does all the above and takes a pay cut..