PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Scenario?

champbronc2
12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Can anyone give me some information on our current position in the playoff hunt?

I know to get the division we must win out and SD must loose 2 out of the last 3 games.

But what about the WC?

BaiLeY324
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
With that Browns win, we're basically have no wildcard hope.

Watchthemiddle
12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
We are still way on the outside looking in.

Fan in Exile
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
If the Chargers lose next week to the Raiders and we beat the Chargers the week after then we would have the same record and the tie-breaker with a better divisional record. That was in Mason's morsels. After watching the Raiders lose to the Packers today though I don't have much hope.

omac
12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
If the Chargers lose next week to the Raiders and we beat the Chargers the week after then we would have the same record and the tie-breaker with a better divisional record. That was in Mason's morsels. After watching the Raiders lose to the Packers today though I don't have much hope.

Chargers play Detroit next. They play the Raiders last.

Detroit's run defense is good. Their passing defense isn't good, but SD's passing game has been very inconsistent. If Merriman is out, maybe Kitna won't be sacked as much. Detroit almost beat a Dallas team that's much better than SD. Detroit has a good chance to beat the Chargers.

Watchthemiddle
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I hate all the "if" talk and having to rely on other teams in order to sneak into the playoffs.

"If " we would have taken care of our own business the past 2 weeks, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Oh well, I guess we will see.

champbronc2
12-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I just saw that WC is not out of reach.

We need TENN to lose one more and CLE to loose two.

And us to win out.

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Simple playoff hopes....

Denver needs to win out AND

SD needs to lose 2 games, including the one to Denver.

I'm going to go ahead and say it's not going to happen, unfortunately.

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2007, 09:21 PM

And us to win out.

Cleveland has the easiest final 3 games in the NFL.

I wouldn't count on them losing 2 of those.

BaiLeY324
12-09-2007, 09:22 PM

And us to win out.

Browns play Buffalo, Cincy, and SF.

Tennessee plays KC, the Jets, and Indy who will probably rest their starters.

We're not getting in with a wildcard, we HAVE to win the division

champbronc2
12-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I think Buffalo and Cincy are capable of beating CLE

And for TENN we'll have to get lucky and that maybe Indy will "play"

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I think Buffalo and Cincy are capable of beating CLE

And for TENN we'll have to get lucky and that maybe Indy will "play"

If Cleveland beats Cincy they have the tiebreaker edge over Denver.

Denver still has to play Minnesota.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Denver really doesn't have a shot. Cleveland and San Diego would have to pretty much lose out and us win out to have a shot. I'm not even sure if that's possible?

We can just be happy that our team played well today, it's PROMISING for the future.

omac
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I hate all the "if" talk and having to rely on other teams in order to sneak into the playoffs.

"If " we would have taken care of our own business the past 2 weeks, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Oh well, I guess we will see.

We just had a pretty good win against KC; just enjoy the wins for the wins, and let the playoff picture take care of itself. This team has had to overcome a lot of injuries to key players, as well as a defense and ST struggling most of the season. Let's enjoy the win. :cheers:

Besides, even if we do make the playoffs, even a healthy Bronco team or any other healthy team, would have trouble keeping up with the Pats this season. I don't see the Colts, Steelers, or Cowboys beating them come playoffs or finals. Maybe GB has a shot, as they're developing into a really solid team all-around, and Favre has been almost as clutch as Brady this season.

If we make the playoffs and meet the Pats or the Colts, they'll pick us apart when we play 8 in the box.

broncosfanscott
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
We just had a pretty good win against KC; just enjoy the wins for the wins, and let the playoff picture take care of itself. This team has had to overcome a lot of injuries to key players, as well as a defense and ST struggling most of the season. Let's enjoy the win. :cheers:

That is what I am going to do. After the losses to the Bears and the Raiders our chances vanished. We won by playing a solid game and our young players continue to shine.

I happy with the win today and looking forward to the first regular season matchup of Shananhan v. Kubiak.......should be an interesting one. I just hope that most Broncos fans will be able to watch the game because I will.

omac
12-10-2007, 05:21 AM
That is what I am going to do. After the losses to the Bears and the Raiders our chances vanished. We won by playing a solid game and our young players continue to shine.

I happy with the win today and looking forward to the first regular season matchup of Shananhan v. Kubiak.......should be an interesting one. I just hope that most Broncos fans will be able to watch the game because I will.

That'll be a great game; teacher versus pupil. The Texans are hot coming off of a win against a real good team in Tampa. They're situation is similar to ours in that they've had to overcome a ton of injuries this season. :rockon:

Watchthemiddle
12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
That'll be a great game; teacher versus pupil. The Texans are hot coming off of a win against a real good team in Tampa. They're situation is similar to ours in that they've had to overcome a ton of injuries this season. :rockon:

This week will be tough. Its a good thing we played a team like the Chiefs going into such a short week to build some confidence. Its just too bad we couldn't of beaten a good team like that.

Lonestar
12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
I can't fathom anyone seriously is hoping to win out and get to the playoffs.

Get real folks this is a mash unit waiting to collapse on themselves.. Even in the wildest of scenarios we get crushed by whomever we play in the first game..

TXBRONC
12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Can anyone give me some information on our current position in the playoff hunt?

I know to get the division we must win out and SD must loose 2 out of the last 3 games.

But what about the WC?

Winning the division is the only way we can get into the playoffs this year, realistically speaking.

Stargazer
12-11-2007, 02:50 AM

NE, Indy, and Dallas are not on the schedule. It's definately possible.

I think the wild card scenario is better than winning the division. Counting on the Raiders to win I just don't see it. Though, it is a division game, they will be playing at home, and it's the last game of the season. Who knows what Raiders team will show up. Sounds good in theory. But, I totally see the Raiders taking a collosal dump and lose by 20. The other teams in the wild card chase can definately collapse.

Buffalo vs Cleveland. Big, big, big game this weekend.

Tned
12-11-2007, 04:16 AM

But what about the WC?

The wild card is pretty tough right now. Not impossible, but tough.

Cleveland would have to lose two of three (Buff, @Cincy, SF) - toss up
Buff would have to lose one (@Cle, NYG, @PHI) - Very likely to lose one
Tenn would have to lose one (@KC, NYJ, @Ind) -- Very likely to lose one if Indy 'plays' in week 17.

First, Denver has to put together a four game winning streak, which they have not showed any indication they can do. We have had other games where it looked like the team finally 'clicked', only to have a major blowout in the other direction the next week or the week after that. They are a young team that seems to do great if things start out well, but have all the wheels fall off if they hit too many bumps early in the game.

So, we need Denver to win the following three (total of four game winning streak to end the year);

Need Cleveland to lose two of their final four

Buffalo to lose one (since for Cleveland to lose two, Buff almost certainly has to beat them, then Buff needs to lose to NYG or PHI, which is very possible).

Tenn to lose one of the last three, which might come down to whether or not Indy is playing for home field in week 17. If NE doesn't lose the next two weeks, then Indy is locked out of the running for home field, and unless Indy loses the next two weeks and finds themselves trying to hold onto the division lead, it would seem unlikely that Indy will be 'playing' to win in week 17.

If the Broncos win out and are tied for the last wild card spot, then their 8-4 conference record looks at first blush like it would be the best conference record after the above teams lost their one or two games to put them in a tie for the wild card.

As to the division, SD needs to lose to Denver (a given), then lose to Det or @Oak. Then things start to get interesting.

Depending on whether SD lost to Oak or Det, would massively change the tie-breaking scenario. If SD lost to Den and Oak to finish the season (and Den won out), then things are simple, they split head to head, and Denver wins the division with a 4-2 Div record vs. 3-3 for SD.

However, if SD loses to Det and Den, but beats Oak and Den wins out, things get interesting.

Den and SD would both finish with:
9-7 record
4-2 division record
??? win/loss percentage played in common games
8-4 conference record
???Strength of vicory
???Strength of Schedule

I don't have the time right now to look at the common games, so I don't know where the teams stack up. However, for Denver, it would be much more straight forward for SD to lose to Den and Oak, then Det, because if they lose to Det and Den, then it looks like it would come down to the record in common games or strength of victory to determine the division winner via the tie breaker.

Tned
12-11-2007, 04:16 AM

Get real folks this is a mash unit waiting to collapse on themselves.. Even in the wildest of scenarios we get crushed by whomever we play in the first game..

I can't fathom why anyone would not 'hope' they would win out and get in the playoffs.