PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, Tned mistake makes server unreachable for some

Tned-Mobile
09-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Sorry guys. I was changing how/where the DNS resolution for BroncosForums is done, so that if there was ever a major server crash, we could quickly fall over to (move to) the backup server.

This should have been a seamless, behind the scenes change, but as I started to set it up months ago, when we had the old server, it still had the old server IP addresses and I didn't realize it.

So, anyone that tried to hit BroncosForums during the 8 minutes or so that the wrong IP was listed, was sent to the old server IP, and BF would fail to load. Since the timeout (TTL) was set to 30 minutes, anyone that did get that server down message, would keep getting it for 30 minutes, until the TTL expired.

Sorry, dumb mistake on my part.

Day1BroncoFan
09-26-2009, 11:06 AM
That explains it.

Tned
09-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I was locked out from home and had to connect via work. I think it should be back for everyone now.

I was making this change in advance of a OS upgrade that has to be done next week, and I wanted the fallback option in case things go wrong.

The Glue Factory
09-26-2009, 11:42 AM
No worries mate. You caught it much quicker than other websites I've visited. I hate my favorite sites being unavailable for half the day. :mad: :Cry: :rant:

Tned
09-26-2009, 12:07 PM
No worries mate. You caught it much quicker than other websites I've visited. I hate my favorite sites being unavailable for half the day. :mad: :Cry: :rant:

Thanks. I try and keep things to as close to zero downtime as possible.

honz
09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Booooooo! You are as bad as Kyle Orton leading a 2 minute drive into FG range and then throwing the ball away a couple times to avoid sacks and/or dangerous throws. As a Bronco fan, I am forced to "boo" you.

Nah, no worries Tned. You run a great site.

T.K.O.
09-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry guys. I was changing how/where the DNS resolution for BroncosForums is done, so that if there was ever a major server crash, we could quickly fall over to (move to) the backup server.

This should have been a seamless, behind the scenes change, but as I started to set it up months ago, when we had the old server, it still had the old server IP addresses and I didn't realize it.

So, anyone that tried to hit BroncosForums during the 8 minutes or so that the wrong IP was listed, was sent to the old server IP, and BF would fail to load. Since the timeout (TTL) was set to 30 minutes, anyone that did get that server down message, would keep getting it for 30 minutes, until the TTL expired.

Sorry, dumb mistake on my part.

rookie mistake ! get your head in the game.....!!!!:D;)
you know im kidding......i was home in bed with a cold today so it was great timing on your part.

Superchop 7
09-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Please read sig