PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 ODST

Shazam!
09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Halo 3 ODST is a FPS developed by Bungie and produced by Microsoft. It's a full expansion to Halo 3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Halo_3_ODST_Box_Art.png

You are a Marine, an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper known as The Rookie. You and your squad are dropped into the remains of New Mombassa in Africa after the city is destroyed (glassed) in Halo 2 prior to the events of Halo 3. It's your job to regroup with your squad and most of all, survive and eliminate the Covenant forces who are searching for something in the remains of the city.

You aren't the Master Chief in this game, so the Rookie is just a regular soldier and unfortunately, not a Spartan. While you can take fire and punishment, you're not as tough or move as fast as the Chief did. You have a stamina system but can't take as much damage as with Chief's energy overshield. Your health will deplete but can be restored with various packs and at stations, similar to the original Halo. This makes the game a little bit tougher especially at higher difficulty.

Your visor in the helmet provides a new HUD and night vision. A large portion of the game is set at night with the Rookie, so that helps you navigate in the darkness, identify enemies and friendlies.

ODST is more of an open world affair as you move throughout the city and engage pockets of Covenant forces. You can take levels in any order or mission sequence. You pick up various pieces of evidence of where your squad and other Marines have been, and then are thrust into a flashback that you play out the situation.

The Superintendent is an AI construct like Cortana was throughout Halo. It's a very large part of your survival and helpful in your mission.

ODST looks fantastic and familiar on an upgraded Halo 3 engine with the distinctive Halo art style.

The great sound, a Halo staple, is breathtaking and deserves surround sound as with all past Halo games. When you are in the night sequences as the Rookie, the sound is moody, dark, eerie and reeks a feeling of loneliness and despair. Some of the Marine weapons sound louder and better, unless because they were supposed to be dulled by Master Chief's Mjolnir armor in past games is a theory of mine. The Covenant grunt's chatter is hilarious as they run from your onslaught (or celebrate your demise).

The campaign is shorter than a full Halo games and can take about 7 hours to complete if your running through it, probably about 8 or 9 if your being thorough.

The multiplayer contains all the original Halo 3 maps, plus all the previous expansions, three new ones, one from Halo 2 and the complete Forge editor. Firefight is kind of like the Horde from Gears or Zombie mode from CoD, pitting two local or four online against waves of Covenant in different scenarios with skull difficulty modifiers. This mode will be a top LIVE game for a long time.

There is an alternate ending on Legendary difficulty.

It also contains an invitation to the upcoming Halo Reach beta in early 2010.

ODST is not a full Halo game, but it contains enough content to be more than a typical expansion and differs from the original Halo structure. The campaign is great and adds to previous games and answers a lot of questions that players were left out of in Mombassa between Halo 2 and 3. While Halo 3 was still a top game on XBox LIVE, ODST will reinvigorate it even more with all the new maps. Firefight mode is addictive and fun as hell. A complete Halo experience and a must-have for fans of the franchise and completes your Halo collection.

Rated M for Mature- Blood, language, violence

Elevation inc
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
i have had fun with this so far, the campaign is more intriguing than i expected. I went threw it in normal mode first to focus on getting achievements and exploring, quite fun stuff. then i went through in legendary mode, and im still in the process of getting my ass handed to me.

perhaps i just aint that good, but co-op on legendary is the way to go...its hard by yourself, and often times i find myself screwed.....

firefirght mode is a blast kinda like horde on gears 2, i have had fun with it so far and enjoyed that with friends. achievements have been fun to obtain in that mode.

mutliplayer is always good and the new maps and stuff are fun...

overall i think this is a great expansion perhaps a 39.99 price tag though would have been more on the money but i find my self still quite entertained and i have since forgot about the orginal price paid...lol

Shazam!
09-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Legendary difficulty in all Halo games is brutally unforgiving.

Beating Halo 3 on legendary is one of my gaming achievements.

MasterShake
09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Legendary difficulty in all Halo games is brutally unforgiving.

Beating Halo 3 on legendary is one of my gaming achievements.

The toughest part of that for me was taking my time and picking off enemies one by one. Usually in Halo I'll run in and melee and shotgun all the enemies, jump on a tank and punch the hell out of it, and take a hit from a Brute just so I can plant a sticky grenade in his gut. In Halo 3 on Legendary as long as I took my time, I only had a few issues towards the end.

As far as ODST, it seemed pretty fun. Me and my friend started a split screen campaign on Legendary on his system and it was ok. I don't care for the health pack system, but it makes sense I guess since you aren't a Spartan. I think it would have been a great download/expansion, but as a standalone $60 game I may wait for a used copy.

DenBronx
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I can't stand any of the campaigns in Halo. The online multi-player is 2nd to none though. I like Heritic which is the remake of Midship.

Shazam!
12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I can't stand any of the campaigns in Halo.

They blow away CoD's hand down, the only other top-tiered FPS franchise on consoles.

DenBronx
12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
They blow away CoD's hand down, the only other top-tiered FPS franchise on consoles.

halo takes way more skill online compared to cod. and i mean mlg vs hardcore.

i love playing fps with NO RADAR. cod if you get 3 kills you get a radar...in halo theres no even an option for that so all the radar noobs cant lean on it. cod is more realistic yeah but halo is what the pros go nuts over. its a great skill vs skill game.

Shazam!
12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
halo takes way more skill online compared to cod. and i mean mlg vs hardcore.

i love playing fps with NO RADAR. cod if you get 3 kills you get a radar...in halo theres no even an option for that so all the radar noobs cant lean on it. cod is more realistic yeah but halo is what the pros go nuts over. its a great skill vs skill game.

IMO Halo is easily the best console FPS series because it's the complete package. It literally revolutionized the entire genre on home consoles, and nearly every FPS since then has something that was originally seen in Halo.

Like even CoD4, for all it's greatness had a few weak links, notably a 4-5 hour campaign. Halo continually offers the entire package, single player campaign, split screen, offline, online, etc. you name it.

All IMO of course...

I love the series and cant wait for Reach.