PDA

View Full Version : Secondary To None

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9397

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Champ Bailey has established himself as one of the league's premier cornerbacks.

Add 297 games of NFL experience behind him, and the maintenance of that reputation becomes even easier.

Through two games, the Broncos defense has yet to allow an offensive passing touchdown. Much of that success stems from the pair of new safeties in the defensive backfield: Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill.

"These guys are very smart and very experienced," Bailey said. "That will help a lot of corners. It'd be fortunate enough that young corners have safeties like this. But good thing for me, I've got a little experience too, so it all comes together."

That experience did not come overnight. With a combined 42 years of NFL games in tow, Head Coach Josh McDaniels was never concerned about the ability of Bailey, Hill, Dawkins and Andre Goodman to communicate.

A base of communication is in place heading into Sunday's game with the Raiders, thanks to knowledge of how to be in the right spots at the right time.

"Other than making sure nobody gets behind you, it's just knowing where you're supposed to be," Bailey said. "We don't make a lot of mental mistakes and that's key if you're playing in the secondary because if you're not in the right place, you can give up big plays."

That skill is especially challenging for the safeties, who are key pieces in coordinating the positioning of all 11 players. Some defensive packages are single-safety, meaning that player has to shift his responsibilities from half the field to the entire field.

Hill and Dawkins are adept at tackling that challenge because they play interchangeably.

"Certainly if you play more of the middle of the field safety or the deep guy in a single safety defense, then you're kind of coordinating both sides," McDaniels said. "Renaldo does a great job of communicating with our players, getting us into the right defense. Brian also does the same thing."

While adding the three veteran pieces to the secondary via free agency, the Broncos didn't stop there. David Bruton, Darcel McBath and Alphonso Smith were all added via the draft.

In turn, the defense is reaping great results in the present, while grooming that same base of communication for the future.

"I think the younger players that we have brought in with them are learning every day how to approach the game, how to do their job by watching guys like Brian and Renaldo and Goodie, Champ," McDaniels said. "It's a veteran secondary with a lot of experience and that really pays off."

DUMERVIL DIVING INTO NEW POSITION

Elvis Dumervil's four sacks against the Browns last week turned many heads around the league.

His head coach was not among those people.

"Elvis is not doing too many things that are foreign to Elvis, I'll tell you that much," McDaniels said. "There are not too many times when Elvis goes backwards. Most of the time he's going forward."

McDaniels envisioned Dumervil's move to outside linebacker/defensive end as adding to his pass rush. The outside linebacker spot involves less 1-on-1 battles with larger tackles. Dumervil has the opportunity to continue rushing the edge, while sometimes gaining the advantage of a smaller tight end or running back on the opposing side.

More standup downs also mean more time for Dumervil to focus on his rush.

"He's grasped the entire concept very well and he makes the adjustment that we make," McDaniels said. "That's not an easy defense in terms of the communication that's involved to learn."

As a teammate since his rookie season, Bailey has seen Dumervil develop over the course of each of his pro seasons. But never has he seen any player change roles with such ease.

"I think he's made the best transition from one position to completely another position that I've ever seen," Bailey said. "He's showing his versatility. The guy wants to win and he does everything that we ask him to do."

INJURY UPDATE

Thursday's Week 3 Injury Report listed three changes for the Broncos. After not participating in Wednesday's practice, Brandon Stokley (thigh) was a limited participant, while Brandon Marshall (illness) was a full participant. After fully participating in the Wednesday session, Ben Hamilton (hamstring) did not participate in the Thursday session.

LoyalSoldier
09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I am actually glad to see our secondary holding so far. I think one of the things I missed about Coyer was even though he had his problems, he knew how to use Champ. I think Nolan seems to have the same idea.