PDA

View Full Version : Gretzky steps down as Coyotes coach

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4499904

PHOENIX -- Wayne Gretzky's tenure as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes, a period marked largely by on-ice futility, ended abruptly Thursday when "The Great One" announced he would be stepping down amid the financial turmoil surrounding the team.

Gretzky's departure -- he also was director of hockey operations -- had been rumored as the bankruptcy court battle between Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie and the NHL over the sale of the financially troubled team dragged on. Gretzky confirmed he was leaving on his Web site.

"This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement Thursday on his Web site. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected.

"Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached general manager Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside."

Gretzky, who is due to make $8.5 million this season, coached the Coyotes from 2005 to 2009, finishing with a 143-161-24 record, and the team missed the playoffs in all four seasons.

Gretzky, 48, also owns a small piece of the franchise.

Former Dallas Stars coach Dave Tippett will be introduced as Gretzky's successor at a 6 p.m. ET news conference, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

Associate coach Ulf Samuelsson had been serving as interim head coach during the preseason. The team this week hired former Calgary Flames and Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Dave King as an assistant.

The Coyotes said the team's Thursday practice at Jobing.com Arena would be closed to media and fans.

Hours after news of Gretzky's resignation broke, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman issued a statement thanking him for his "dedicated service" since joining the organization.

"Wayne is often credited with the rise of hockey in southern and western markets," the statement said. "He was proud to represent one of those very franchises, and the Coyotes were fortunate to have him. Although his time with the Coyotes has come to an end, the examples he set and the legacy he leaves will undoubtedly have a lasting impact on everyone associated with the franchise."

Gretzky is the leading scorer in NHL history, but he brought little of his magical on-ice form when he moved behind the bench.

Gretzky's tenure as coach was marked by turmoil as the Coyotes struggled to survive in a crowded sports market.

Gretzky joined the franchise on Feb. 15, 2001, when Jerry Moyes' ownership group completed its purchase of the club. Moyes last May took the team into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, igniting a lengthy and complicated court fight over the team's future.

Gretzky took over as coach in 2005-06. The Coyotes went 38-39-5 in his debut season, winning 16 more games than in the previous season. The team was 36-36-5 with Gretzky on the bench; he missed five games for family reasons.

It was, at times, a trying year for Gretzky. His mother, Phyllis, and grandmother, Betty Hockin, both died during the season.

Assistant coach and friend Rick Tocchet was arrested for allegedly running an illegal sports gambling ring. The scandal touched Gretzky when it was revealed that his wife, Janet, had placed bets.

The on-ice promise of Gretzky's first season never materialized. The Coyotes slipped to 15th in the Western Conference in 2006-07 and didn't finish higher than 12th during his tenure.

Gretzky surrounded himself with friends, including his former player agent, Michael Barnett, who was fired as general manager following the 2006-07 season.

Another close friend, Hall of Famer Grant Fuhr, became the Coyotes' goaltending coach. Fuhr was replaced this week by Sean Burke.

Gretzky's brother, Keith, serves as the Coyotes' director of amateur scouting.

When he signed a five-year extension in May 2006, Gretzky talked about bringing a Stanley Cup to the desert. When he was asked if it would take that long to build a championship team, Gretzky laughed and replied, "It better not, or I won't be here in five years."

With their future owner undetermined, the Coyotes have struggled mightily to sell tickets for the coming season, which begins next week.

Balsillie on Wednesday made the pledge to keep the team in Glendale, Ariz., this season if he wins an auction for the franchise. He does, however, plan to move the team to Hamilton, Ontario, as part of his $242.5 million bid.

"It's been impossible to sell tickets because nobody knows if it's going to be here," Moyes said earlier this week after yet another hearing in bankruptcy court. "So I think this will be the opening of the floodgates, and if the fans are convinced that the team needs to be here, and sponsors, this will be an opportunity for them to prove that the team should be here.

"That's what I've said all along -- my first choice has always been to leave the team here and find support to leave it here."

The Coyotes have lost more than $300 million since the team moved from Winnipeg, Manitoba, in 1996. The franchise has lost at least $34 million in each of the past three years and was given financial assistance by the NHL last season.