PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Should Stay In The Middle.

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
This little tidbit from Armstrong might give us pause not to move D.J. Williams from the Mike position.

http://www.denverpost.com/jimmy/ci_7661791

Jim on demand: Williams deserves more respect
By Jim Armstrong The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/07/2007 12:14:41 PM MST

Jim on demand: Props to Raiders fansMemo to those near and far who've questioned whether D.J. Williams could play middle linebacker: Maybe you ought to cut the guy some slack.

Williams, by his own admission, has struggled at times to make the transition to the middle from outside linebacker. Well, duh. What, like he was going to be **** Butkus overnight? It doesn't happen that way in the NFL, just as Jay Cutler isn't going to be a star quarterback anytime soon.

Williams has played better as time has gone one. How much better? Consider this: He has been credited with 132 tackles - 94 unassisted and 38 assists. His predecessor, Al Wilson, had 113 - 88 solos and 25 assists - all of last season.

Looking at those numbers makes you think, doesn't it? It makes you think maybe Williams isn't the problem. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere on the defensive side of the ball.

Watchthemiddle
12-07-2007, 09:57 PM
DJ sure has stepped up and watched the middle well lately. :beer:

Peerless
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
This little tidbit from Armstrong might give us pause not to move D.J. Williams from the Mike position.

http://www.denverpost.com/jimmy/ci_7661791

Jim on demand: Williams deserves more respect
By Jim Armstrong The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/07/2007 12:14:41 PM MST

Jim on demand: Props to Raiders fansMemo to those near and far who've questioned whether D.J. Williams could play middle linebacker: Maybe you ought to cut the guy some slack.

Williams, by his own admission, has struggled at times to make the transition to the middle from outside linebacker. Well, duh. What, like he was going to be **** Butkus overnight? It doesn't happen that way in the NFL, just as Jay Cutler isn't going to be a star quarterback anytime soon.

Williams has played better as time has gone one. How much better? Consider this: He has been credited with 132 tackles - 94 unassisted and 38 assists. His predecessor, Al Wilson, had 113 - 88 solos and 25 assists - all of last season.

Looking at those numbers makes you think, doesn't it? It makes you think maybe Williams isn't the problem. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere on the defensive side of the ball.

Although I'm all in favor for Williams staying at MLB, a lot of those stats are misleading.

When the Broncos are getting run over the way they are, the linebacker is bound to get more tackles.

Who had a better defense? Al Wilson last year, or DJ this year?

By far this years D is the lesser of the two.

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Although I'm all in favor for Williams staying at MLB, a lot of those stats are misleading.

When the Broncos are getting run over the way they are, the linebacker is bound to get more tackles.

You still have to make the plays and D.J. has been doing that.

DenBronx
12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
if theres any player on our team that has a right to be upset id say it would be dj. he learns a new position every year. whats next, a project to play center? our dline makes our linebackers look awful....so, next year dj will do even better once that is corrected.

TXBRONC
12-08-2007, 12:08 AM
if theres any player on our team that has a right to be upset id say it would be dj. he learns a new position every year. whats next, a project to play center? our dline makes our linebackers look awful....so, next year dj will do even better once that is corrected.

The rumor has been that D.J. might move back to his natural position of Will. If that does happen it should be a seemless transition. However, I think they ought to leave him right where he's at, because it looks to me like he's really starting to play the Mike position quite well.

Lonestar
12-08-2007, 12:45 AM

How many games did AL play last year compared to DJ only playing in 12 so this year..

When DJ gets it all down pat understanding the spot and not having to THINK about what he is doing ans just react to a play e will be much better than Al.

Al had heart and was a leader but could not tackle for crap.. Tried to hard to knock someone down instead of wrapping them up.. Lots of biggie hits could be part of the reason he is no longer in football..

omac
12-08-2007, 06:19 AM
I think DJ's doing fine; he's been making some big plays. If they do move him, then they must have plans of bringing in a top tier MLB. Urlacher ... yeah, right. :D

Den21vsBal19
12-08-2007, 06:52 AM
The rumor has been that D.J. might move back to his natural position of Will. If that does happen it should be a seemless transition. However, I think they ought to leave him right where he's at, because it looks to me like he's really starting to play the Mike position quite well.
To be honest, I'm happy either way........if we can obtain a stud Mike through draft/FA, then I'd be more than happy to see DJ back in his 'natural' position.

However, I like the job he's doing for us in the middle, so if a WLB is a better value move, I won't be shedding any tears if DJ stays where he is.............

Just get some bloody talent on the DL

TXBRONC
12-08-2007, 08:04 AM
To be honest, I'm happy either way........if we can obtain a stud Mike through draft/FA, then I'd be more than happy to see DJ back in his 'natural' position.

However, I like the job he's doing for us in the middle, so if a WLB is a better value move, I won't be shedding any tears if DJ stays where he is.............

Just get some bloody talent on the DL

Top of the morning to you mate!

Back the task at hand. It's not that I would be unhappy if he were moved back to the weak side, but my preference is that he stay put. The reason being is that it maximizes his talents more so than putting him on the weak side.

TXBRONC
12-08-2007, 08:21 AM
This article from today's RMN I think bolsters my argument tha D.J. should stay at the Mike position I've highlighted a few things that I think lend credence to the cause.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/08/williams-likes-being-caught-in-the-middle/

Williams likes being caught in the middle
Denver linebacker 'very comfortable' with new position
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Saturday, December 8, 2007
More BroncosBroncos report

Now that D.J. Williams has had a few months to get accustomed to playing middle linebacker, he'd like to stay there for the long haul.

"I'm very comfortable in the middle and, if it was up to me, I'd play it for the rest of my career," the Broncos' fourth-year player said Friday.

Williams played the other two outside linebacker spots for Denver before changing again this past offseason.

And despite some rough patches that can be expected while getting adjusted to a new position, and a recent change in philosophy to more of an eight- man front that shifted his responsibilities yet again, he has settled into the middle pretty well.

With 109 tackles, Williams is tied for third in the NFL with Houston's DeMeco Ryans, trailing only San Francisco's Patrick Willis (128) and Washington's London Fletcher (112).

And, in the past two games, Williams has had two of his top three tackle games this season, including 13 solo stops and three assists Sunday against Oakland.

"He's got a better grasp now of what he has to do to be successful at the position, and he's had a lot of production," assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates said. "Like everyone on our team, he's had his flaws. I've had mine. . . . But he's playing with more confidence."

Williams said the difference in his game since the beginning of the season can be gauged by comparing his second performance against the Raiders with the previous one Sept. 16.

He appears more decisive in his reads, is hitting the proper gaps quicker and is more comfortable as a leader making the defensive calls.

Eight of Williams' tackles Sunday netted zero yards or lost yardage. Six of his 11 stops against Chicago on Nov. 25 came after gains of 3 yards or fewer.

"When we've been successful versus the run as a group, it's because we're playing fast and attacking the line of scrimmage," linebackers coach Joe Baker said. "And I'd say the same holds true for D.J."

But as the central figure in a defense that has struggled, particularly against the run, Williams has received additional scrutiny, even though he often has had to shed free blockers.

Williams likens the criticism to playing quarterback, where taking the heat also is expected.

It has led to some scuttlebutt outside the team that the Broncos might be better served with Williams' athleticism back at outside linebacker in the future.

Broncos coaches don't appear to have closed the door on that possibility, but the notion isn't on the front burner.

Asked whether middle linebacker is Williams' permanent home, Bates said, "It should be," adding that he expects continued improvement during the final four games, beginning Sunday at home against Kansas City.

Baker responded, "I think so," to the same question, adding that plans change yearly, but his opinion of Williams' skills being "what you're looking for in that position" hasn't changed.

Head coach Mike Shanahan described Williams' progress as "getting better and better, where he feels comfortable in there."

"If you look at it, I'm tied for first in the AFC in tackles and I am a four-year player, but this is the first time I'm playing this position," Williams said. "And just what I've accomplished thus far this year with as little experience that I have, who knows how far I can go? Hopefully, they'll keep me in the middle; if not, I'll play weak-side linebacker. I just hate strong side. You can put that in the paper. I hate it. I don't want to play strong side for nobody. But I played weak side earlier in my career. I'd be happy to do it."

It was during Williams' rookie season in 2004 at weak-side linebacker that his athleticism, size and physicality first made an impact. His versatility prompted the switch to the strong side during the past two seasons.

And all those qualities together precipitated his move to the middle when Al Wilson was released in March because of neck issues.

Williams said playing the middle has been easier on him physically this season because he's not taking on as many fullback and H-back leads as in previous years.

He also likes being in the middle of the action on every play, including passing downs, when he was on the sideline last season.

The biggest work in progress is "playing in zones in pass coverage. I'm not used to that," he said, but added, "Everything else, I think I'm moving at a steady pace."

Nate Webster, a former middle linebacker and now Williams' sidekick on the strong side, believes his partner's instincts have kicked in, and it's showing.

"Me and him used to tease each other a quarter of the way into the season about the way he used to tackle. He'd wrap up guys," Webster said. "Now he's headhunting, which is what a middle linebacker should be - the hard hitter of the defense."

rasizerl@RockyMountainNews.com

Den21vsBal19
12-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Top of the morning to you mate!

Back the task at hand. It's not that I would be unhappy if he were moved back to the weak side, but my preference is that he stay put. The reason being is that it maximizes his talents more so than putting him on the weak side.
I agree whole heartedly, like I say though, it's nice to have the choice of going either way, means we can't get completely screwed by focusing on the one slot :D

broncofanatic1987
12-08-2007, 08:36 AM
All of the DJ lovers finally might be getting their wish and now we have people advocating for him staying in the middle.:confused:

Throughout the offseason, the DJ fan club was scheming up ways of getting rid of Ian Gold so that DJ could be moved back to the weak side. Their dreams might come true next season and now TXBRONC wants to rain on their parade.:D

I think there is more to playing MLB than just making tackles. Perhaps the coaches believe that DJ hasn't been doing the other things that a MLB is supposed to do in order for the defense to succeed. There have been some missed assignments and lack of gap control on the part of the linebackers. Maybe the coaches believe part of that responsibility lies with the leader of the defense, the MLB.

Maybe DJ does just need some more time to adjust, but that doesn't mean the coaches are going to give him that time. Prior to the season starting, Shanahan made it clear that the evaluation of DJ in the middle was going to continue into the regular season and that he could end up being switched to a different position. He's certainly going to remain in the middle for the rest of this season, but there aren't and shouldn't be any guarantees for next season.

Jim Armstrong sort of discredits himself when he says that Cutler isn't going to be a star any time soon. Cutler could be a star quarterback as soon as next season if the right moves are made during the offseason. Clearly wide receiver is a concern with Walker's inability to get healthy. Improvements on the offensive line would definitely help Jay a lot. Rod Smith used to say about Jake the Fake that the team had to make him great. Well the same is true for Cutler. After all, there's only one John Elway. Elway made the team better than it really was and he's probably the only quarterback to ever do that. Cutler needs help to achieve greatness. It starts with offensive line and ends with the receivers. Get Jay the help he needs, the offensive line in particular, and he will be a star quarterback. This is why I say Armstrong sort of discredits himself and therefore we shouldn't take his opinion of DJ Williams too seriously.

Peerless
12-08-2007, 10:59 AM
How many games did AL play last year compared to DJ only playing in 12 so this year..

Do you think Al would have similar stats with the same run defense Williams has?

Of course he would.

The Broncos defense, minus 1 or 2 games has been getting torn apart by the run.

The defense (Williams) is bound for more tackles.. 12 games in or 16 games in.

Remember last year our defense was incredible. Until it melted down at the end of the year, teams were airing the ball up on us which meant more tackles for our secondary (Champ Bailey 86 TACKLES). Maybe we should move Champ to MLB since he's a tackling machine?

Do you kind of get my drift? I'm not putting DJ down. I was/am all in favor of having him at MLB, and I think he deserves a trip to the pro bowl!

:defense:

Lonestar
12-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Do you think Al would have similar stats with the same run defense Williams has?

Of course he would.

The Broncos defense, minus 1 or 2 games has been getting torn apart by the run.

The defense (Williams) is bound for more tackles.. 12 games in or 16 games in.

Remember last year our defense was incredible. Until it melted down at the end of the year, teams were airing the ball up on us which meant more tackles for our secondary (Champ Bailey 86 TACKLES). Maybe we should move Champ to MLB since he's a tackling machine?

Do you kind of get my drift? I'm not putting DJ down. I was/am all in favor of having him at MLB, and I think he deserves a trip to the pro bowl!

:defense:

My problem with Al was he tried to knock runners down he really did not wrap up well. He was a great hitter and that in itself was a discouraging to folks coming into his area. But many times he would lay a hit on someone and they would bounce off and get another 3-5 yards..

Do I think that Al would have the same great numbers that DJ has? NO I do not. I also think that DJ's number would be higher if he already had his "game" at MLB earlier in the year..

We all saw that he was not ready for the change during those first 4-5 games and this season has been OJT for him. Unless they can get some major stud MLB so he can move back to WLB, he should continue to grow into a major superstar over the next decade.

gold still needs to go IMO he has been IMO a liability in the defense the past two years. Yes he is fast but he still can shed blockers to make the tackles.. Maybe they can groom him to play John Lynch's spot as SS because he does have the speed to do so. But 220 pound LBs are certainly not the wave of the future.

TXBRONC
12-08-2007, 12:56 PM
All of the DJ lovers finally might be getting their wish and now we have people advocating for him staying in the middle.:confused:

Throughout the off season, the DJ fan club was scheming up ways of getting rid of Ian Gold so that DJ could be moved back to the weak side. Their dreams might come true next season and now TXBRONC wants to rain on their parade.:D

I think there is more to playing MLB than just making tackles. Perhaps the coaches believe that DJ hasn't been doing the other things that a MLB is supposed to do in order for the defense to succeed. There have been some missed assignments and lack of gap control on the part of the linebackers. Maybe the coaches believe part of that responsibility lies with the leader of the defense, the MLB.

Maybe DJ does just need some more time to adjust, but that doesn't mean the coaches are going to give him that time. Prior to the season starting, Shanahan made it clear that the evaluation of DJ in the middle was going to continue into the regular season and that he could end up being switched to a different position. He's certainly going to remain in the middle for the rest of this season, but there aren't and shouldn't be any guarantees for next season.

Jim Armstrong sort of discredits himself when he says that Cutler isn't going to be a star any time soon. Cutler could be a star quarterback as soon as next season if the right moves are made during the offseason. Clearly wide receiver is a concern with Walker's inability to get healthy. Improvements on the offensive line would definitely help Jay a lot. Rod Smith used to say about Jake the Fake that the team had to make him great. Well the same is true for Cutler. After all, there's only one John Elway. Elway made the team better than it really was and he's probably the only quarterback to ever do that. Cutler needs help to achieve greatness. It starts with offensive line and ends with the receivers. Get Jay the help he needs, the offensive line in particular, and he will be a star quarterback. This is why I say Armstrong sort of discredits himself and therefore we shouldn't take his opinion of DJ Williams too seriously.

I have another article by Rasizer in this thread and he more or less says the say think that Armstrong does. The only difference is that Rasizer has some quotes from both Shanahan and Bates. I have the article and the link posted in this thread. But here's the link in case you don't want to scroll back up to the article.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/08/williams-likes-being-caught-in-the-middle/

Requiem / The Dagda
12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Williams has been extremely impressive in the middle given the circumstances he is in, and by circumstances I mean a horrendous front four not giving him ample time to disrupt and make plays. He would not do well as a weakside player here because he is weak in coverage, and as you can clearly see - that's a huge part of being a WILL in Bates' defense. Protect Williams with a free agent signing at defensive tackle and draft another guy, if it's a high profile DT in FA, then it doesn't need to be top two round, but if it's an average guy - try and get him a top player in the draft there.

As much flak as Ian Gold gets (and I admit he gets a lot of it, from myself too) he's also playing under these poor circumstances. However, I still feel he will be replaced by the end of the year. After all, this is one of the best LB drafts to come out in a while, and Denver would be stupid not to try and get someone who could help somewhere at the three spots.

gobroncsnv
12-08-2007, 02:16 PM
I think, with the exception of a couple of games, Ian is playing poorly under poor circumstances. I'm just fine with leaving DJ where he is, or moving him back, as long as we do something about the other 2 LB spots. DJ's athleticism and predatory instincts at LB would make him fit in any of the 3 spots, given time at the position. He has grown into his role at Mike, and has shown he can play WILL with the best of them. Let the other 2 go, but you can BUILD a D around a guy like DJ.
No doubt, a better Dline (DT's) will vastly improve our D, but I'd still like to see us not have to settle for having Gold (unless his consistency improves, not just a good game here and there) and Web.
And one of the main reasons we have some inflated tackling numbers this year is because we don't tackle anybody until they have made a first down. Longer drives makes for more opportunities to make tackles, so having a lot is not necessarily a good thing.

Lonestar
12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I think, with the exception of a couple of games, Ian is playing poorly under poor circumstances. I'm just fine with leaving DJ where he is, or moving him back, as long as we do something about the other 2 LB spots. DJ's athleticism and predatory instincts at LB would make him fit in any of the 3 spots, given time at the position. He has grown into his role at Mike, and has shown he can play WILL with the best of them. Let the other 2 go, but you can BUILD a D around a guy like DJ.
No doubt, a better Dline (DT's) will vastly improve our D, but I'd still like to see us not have to settle for having Gold (unless his consistency improves, not just a good game here and there) and Web.
And one of the main reasons we have some inflated tackling numbers this year is because we don't tackle anybody until they have made a first down. Longer drives makes for more opportunities to make tackles, so having a lot is not necessarily a good thing.

Your correct on most of your points. I for one am not totally disappointed in Webster if we can find an inexpensive fix there I have no issues as him being a cheap back up players.. But gold has to go at his cap value of $4,454,130 this year is beyond ridiculous.. he made $4.8 last year after $1.7 in TPA the year before..

He has to have pictures of mikey with a little boy in a bathroom stall to make that kind of money..

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=843

here is his NFLPA base salary
Gold, Ian
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

LB (#52)
Year: 2000

Denver Broncos
Round: 2

Belleville, MI
Position: 9

Salary History

2005 540000.00
2006 670000.00
2007 2300000.00
2008 2750000.00
2009 3400000.00
2010 4590000.00 .

The rest of the teams lB

Player Name Position Team Compensation
Beck, Jordan LB DB 360,000.00
Gold, Ian LB DB 2,300,000.00
Green, Louis LB DB 550,000.00
Holdman, Warrick LB DB 720,000.00
Webster, Nate LB DB 770,000.00
Williams, D.J. LB DB 650,000.00
Winborn, Jamie LB DB 595,000.00

This clown has to go!!!!

gobroncsnv
12-08-2007, 02:59 PM
The beauty of free agency inflating prices... almost brings sanity to NBA salaries. My main point was about Gold and Web being starters. Either one would be serviceable backups, but yes, you're right, you have to pay attention to the price paid as well. But I don't think either one of them are who I would leave in with the first team.

Lonestar
12-08-2007, 03:42 PM
The beauty of free agency inflating prices... almost brings sanity to NBA salaries. My main point was about Gold and Web being starters. Either one would be serviceable backups, but yes, you're right, you have to pay attention to the price paid as well. But I don't think either one of them are who I would leave in with the first team.

Backup for webster. Sure thing he can paly all positions his natural spot is MLB.

But gold is just to small to play anything but WLB (maybe SS) and unless he is willing to take a huge hit in the money department he has to flat go.. 500K for a back up works for me but $2.75 mil does not what he is schedule for next year as BASE salary..

broncofanatic1987
12-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I have another article by Rasizer in this thread and he more or less says the say think that Armstrong does. The only difference is that Rasizer has some quotes from both Shanahan and Bates. I have the article and the link posted in this thread. But here's the link in case you don't want to scroll back up to the article.

Well, it would certainly appear that the coaches are rooting for DJ to remain in the middle.

This quote by Webster is not very encouraging though:

"Me and him used to tease each other a quarter of the way into the season about the way he used to tackle. He'd wrap up guys," Webster said. "Now he's headhunting, which is what a middle linebacker should be - the hard hitter of the defense."

All defenders should wrap up the ball carrier, the middle linebacker included. Making the tackle is more important than making an impressive hit. Last season the Broncos could have shut out the Patriots, but because Al Wilson went for the big hit on Maroney instead of the sure tackle, Maroney took off on a huge gain instead of being tackled for a loss. That put the Patriots in position to score a touchdown. In that particular game it didn't matter as far as getting the win was concerned, but sometimes, it just might matter.

topscribe
12-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, it would certainly appear that the coaches are rooting for DJ to remain in the middle.

All defenders should wrap up the ball carrier, the middle linebacker included. Making the tackle is more important than making an impressive hit. Last season the Broncos could have shut out the Patriots, but because Al Wilson went for the big hit on Maroney instead of the sure tackle, Maroney took off on a huge gain instead of being tackled for a loss. That put the Patriots in position to score a touchdown. In that particular game it didn't matter as far as getting the win was concerned, but sometimes, it just might matter.

What Webster was quite obviously saying was that D.J. was only wrapping
up and not hitting hard enough. A player can lay the wood and wrap up,
too. Just ask John Lynch.

-----

topscribe
12-08-2007, 08:27 PM

You know, I believe we are laying too much onto the LBs, when they are
having to shed free blockers that the DL should have picked up. I would like
the DL to start performing as it should, then judge the LBs. I've heard all
about Webster's being "out of position," but it seems to me that a 240 lb.
linebacker who is running into walls of 300 lb. offensive linemen are going to
find themselves out of position.

-----

TXBRONC
12-08-2007, 08:34 PM

From what I've seen D.J. still does good job or wrapping up. Webster doesn't but D.J. does.

Lonestar
12-08-2007, 09:07 PM
From what I've seen D.J. still does good job or wrapping up. Webster doesn't but D.J. does.

I agree with your statement but some folks do not get the analogy.

I'm not so sure that he was speaking in that context I think he was saying he is headhunting AND tackling and not thinking about it any more just out there doing the job naturally.. I could be wrong but I have not seen (not including the OAK game) DJ miss any tackles.. They were kill shots unlike Al hitting them hard and not knocking them off their feet..

SBboundBRONCOS
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree with your statement but some folks do not get the analogy.

I'm not so sure that he was speaking in that context I think he was saying he is headhunting AND tackling and not thinking about it any more just out there doing the job naturally.. I could be wrong but I have not seen (not including the OAK game) DJ miss any tackles.. They were kill shots unlike Al hitting them hard and not knocking them off their feet..

yeah DJ does a very good job tackling for the most part when he has his chances. but a MLB does need to hit hard because otherwise you have people like the people on the "other" message board saying that Foxy would make a good safety because he can wrap up and tackle . . . . . that just makes me laugh :laugh: