PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Plans for tight ends become more clear

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13407026

Admit it, you were surprised when the Broncos traded up to the end of the second round to draft tight end Richard Quinn at No. 64 overall.

It's OK. Quinn has said several times that he was surprised, too, to get the call from the Broncos on the first day of the draft.

But now, two weeks into the regular season, Josh McDaniels' plans for his tight ends is becoming more clear.

The Broncos repeatedly used a three-tight-end set with Daniel Graham, Tony Scheffler and Quinn in Sunday's 27-6 win against the Cleveland Browns, including on the team's first touchdown pass (from Kyle Orton to tight end Tony Scheffler) on third-and-goal from the 2-yard line.

"We've got a lot of player flexibility, and all three of those guys can do a lot of different things," said offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. "We can adjust and do certain things in the passing game versus just having to line up and run the ball, so there's some flexibility for us."

Scheffler, known as one of the better catching tight ends in the league, and Graham, a well-respected blocker, have both been effective as receivers. Scheffler, in particular, lined up frequently in the slot during a stretch in the second quarter Sunday when Brandon Marshall was not playing.

Quinn has strictly been used as a blocker so far but said he's anticipating the first time he's called upon to be a receiver.

"Hey, whatever happens," Quinn said. "I'm ready for anything."

gobroncsnv
09-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't think Graham really hurts us at receiving. A lot of people only remember his dropped pass late in the 4th against Jax a year or so ago... His first thrown-to in the game. If you can get past that one, he's been pretty steady.
I am still curious as to why we took Quinn, in spite of this article, especially as high as we got him. I was thinking there were other folks on the draft board left who could have helped us more, especially on D.
Having several options is cool in the red zone, and Scheff OWNED the Browns' LB on his TD catch, but seems like Hillis could work as an H-Back type and fill in where Quinn does as described in the article. BUT, so far, what we're doing is working, so this is not a major complaint.
Thanks, Carol. These premium articles are kinda cool to buzz through.

Kaylore
09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
It's going to come up, so let me dispel the myth that "the Patriots didn't want Graham so he's gone" right here. I don't know how that got started, but Graham was a team captain for the Patriots in '06 and they offered him a $25 Mil contract before leaving there. We paid him thirty, which is a bit much but it was a financial move on his part, and for five mil, not a bad one. I don't know if that means that Graham will finish his career here or not, but I do know that McDaniels and Belichick liked him in NE and Quinn was not drafted to "replace" him.

Carry on. :D

gobroncsnv
09-24-2009, 11:34 PM
+ Graham got to "come home" for $5m more... Good work if you can find it.