PDA

View Full Version : RMN: Broncos Report

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
This was in today's Rocky Mountain News so I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/07/broncos-report/

Broncos report
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, December 7, 2007

Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle is sacked by the Broncos' John Engelberger, left, and Tim Crowder on Nov. 11. The Broncos had four sacks in the game; the Chiefs were sacked eight times Sunday.

Javon Walker has a sore right knee and might not be able to play Sunday against the Chiefs.

Andre Hall averaged 25.7 yards on 12 returns before an injury and should play Sunday.

Waiting his turn

Tim Crowder, Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas have played their fair share of snaps as rookies for the Broncos.

Ryan Harris still is waiting.

In part, it's the nature of his position in Denver. The team rarely, if ever, starts, or even plays, offensive linemen in their first years, as Ben Hamilton, Matt Lepsis, Chris Myers and Tom Nalen can attest.

But Harris, a tackle taken in the third round in April, had his odds reduced further when he was forced to undergo back surgery during training camp.

"I think I definitely had a disadvantage missing all the preseason games and the first two weeks of the season," Harris said Thursday, adding the back has given him no problems the past couple of months. "I've just been trying to stay in line and be where I should have been had I not missed all those practices. I know my role and I'm ready if I need to get in."

Unlike the rookies on the defensive line, the players in the offensive trenches usually aren't involved in a rotation system, either.

"Once the season starts, you're pretty much set, and I know that and I'm comfortable with getting better at practice every day," Harris said.

Harris is the top backup on both sides but likely projects long term as a left tackle at 6-foot-5, 295 pounds. Switching around has helped him get a better command of the playbook because he gets to approach the same plays from different angles.

"And my eyes are trained to the speed more than they were even a month ago," he said.

Welcome back

The Broncos have missed Andre Hall's presence on kickoff returns but should have him back Sunday.

In the past two games, when he was the primary tailback then was injured, the team has managed only 14 yards per runback. Hall was inserted in an Oct. 29 game as the primary deep man and has averaged 25.7 yards on 12 returns. More important, he brought an aggressiveness in hitting the hole that has been absent with Glenn Martinez and Taylor Jacobs of late.

"I've got to fire it up," Hall said, adding he was starting to feel comfortable with those duties before his removal. "I was feeling like one was going to be taken back. But we'll see."

Eye-opener

The Broncos are coming off their third game this season without a sack. But only three weeks ago, they tied their season high by getting four in Kansas City.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs yielded a whopping eight sacks in Sunday's loss to the San Diego Chargers and might be depleted up front for the rematch with Denver.

Left tackle Damion McIntosh might miss the game with a knee injury. Right tackle Chris Terry has been busy making funeral arrangements for his mother and could be out, too. And backup Kyle Turley (back) also has sat out this week.

Safety Hamza Abdullah was unaware the Chiefs had difficulty stopping the pass rush against the Chargers until he watched film Thursday.

"I couldn't believe how many times they got sacked," he said. "So I know they're going to do some extra things, maybe keep a tight end or a running back in the backfield. But first and foremost we have to stop the run. There's no dropback passing when you can't stop the run."

Wild, wild West

The anticipated matchup Sunday against the Chiefs' Brodie Croyle comes on the heels of the Raiders' JaMarcus Russell on Sunday.

And with a Dec. 24 game with San Diego and Philip Rivers looming, the Broncos get to see the future of quarterback play in the AFC West in the same month.

Thus, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was asked whether he sees the division emerging as the home of strong, young quarterbacks.

"You don't know what they're going to do until they do it. I feel really good about our guy," he said, referring to second-year quarterback Jay Cutler.

"But I can't speak about the others. I feel really good about Rivers and the way he played last year. Even though he has gotten some criticism this year, I think he is a heck of a football player and think he'll be one of the top guys in the league."

Croyle has had some back issues but practiced fully for the second straight day and is expected to start over Damon Huard. Croyle played in relief in the previous matchup with Denver last month.

Late additions

The Broncos have 13 players who weren't on the regular opening day roster who currently are on their 53-man listing, including four off the team's Week 1 practice squad.

Position Player

Guard P.J. Alexander

Linebacker Jordan Beck

Defensive end Larry Birdine

Safety Steve Cargile

Defensive end Paul Carrington

Quarterback Darrell Hackney

Defensive end Stephen Harris

Receiver Taylor Jacobs

Defensive lineman Josh Mallard

Receiver Glenn Martinez

Guard Isaac Snell

Safety Marviel Underwood

Linebacker Jamie Winborn

Injury report

* Receiver Brandon Stokley (left knee) sat out of practice for a second straight day. It's a new injury and not the same leg that was giving him trouble before the Oakland game Sunday. "It's kind of hard to tell right now," he said of his availability. "Hopefully, it'll get better and I'll try to do more stuff (today) and we'll see how it goes."

* The Broncos could be even more short-handed if Javon Walker (right knee) doesn't come around. "He was limited," Shanahan said. "He's still a bit sore, not full speed. We'll wait to see with him, as well."

Requiem / The Dagda
12-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks a lot TX. I'm eagerly awaiting the day that Harris steps in over Pears, or gets a shot. Seriously. Kid can be a baller.

silkamilkamonico
12-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Is there still any question about Harris holding weight when he goes through his fasting, or has already done that, or what's the deal with that?

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Is there still any question about Harris holding weight when he goes through his fasting, or has already done that, or what's the deal with that?

Is he a Muslim?

Requiem / The Dagda
12-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes, he is.

Simple Jaded
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Actually, that's probably why they drafted Harris....When he is fasting he gets down to 275/280, and that suits Denver to a "T".

I honestly believe that the Broncos have no worries about his weight (Unless, for some reason, it's anywhere near his listed 295)......

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Actually, that's probably why they drafted Harris....When he is fasting he gets down to 275/280, and that suits Denver to a "T".

I honestly believe that the Broncos have no worries about his weight (Unless, for some reason, it's anywhere near his listed 295)......

Lepsis is 290 lbs and his predecessor on the left side, were both 290 lbs or more. Gary Zimmerman was 295 lbs and Tony Jones was 290 lbs.

Simple Jaded
12-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Lepsis is 290 lbs and his predecessor on the left side, were both 290 lbs or more. Gary Zimmerman was 295 lbs and Tony Jones was 290 lbs.

That's the numbers they give us....Myers dad believes his kids playing weight is between 285 and 290, not the 300 they had on their website to begin the season.

Alfred Williams has said pretty much the same thing of Lepsis on his radio show...Schlereth mentioned something about his playing weight being 295 with the Skins and 285 with the Broncos.

My point is, I honestly believe they all drop in weight during the season, and that Denver isn't a bit fazed by Harris' weight during fasting....they may actually want that.

When you think about it, it's most likely true for a great many players in the NFL.

I'm not actually complaining this time, just stating an opinion on Harris' weight......

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 11:19 PM
That's the numbers they give us....Myers dad believes his kids playing weight is between 285 and 290, not the 300 they had on their website to begin the season.

Alfred Williams has said pretty much the same thing of Lepsis on his radio show...Schlereth mentioned something about his playing weight being 295 with the Skins and 285 with the Broncos.

My point is, I honestly believe they all drop in weight during the season, and that Denver isn't a bit fazed by Harris' weight during fasting....they may actually want that.

When you think about it, it's most likely true for a great many players in the NFL.

I'm not actually complaining this time, just stating an opinion on Harris' weight......

I didn't think you were complaining.

Simple Jaded
12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I didn't think you were complaining.

When I talk about the offensive line, sometimes I like to put a disclaimer in there...:D...

TXBRONC
12-07-2007, 11:39 PM
When I talk about the offensive line, sometimes I like to put a disclaimer in there...:D...

In my profession that's called a c.y.a.

Lonestar
12-08-2007, 12:51 AM

After all it is offensive by nature..:D

Stargazer
12-08-2007, 03:33 AM
My point is, I honestly believe they all drop in weight during the season,..

They do drop weight.