PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Broncos-Raider game

FanInAZ
09-24-2009, 01:04 AM
1986: Season opener @ Mile High. This is how the season started that would conclude with "The Drive" and Elway's 1st SB appearance. I watched it @ the home of my best friend who happened to be a Raiders fan.

Lead in: The Raiders swept us in 1985 with FGs in OT. They won the division with a 12-4 record. We finished 11-5, but missed the play-off because both the Patriots and the Jets finished behind the 12-4 Dolphins with 11-5 records. We therefore became and remain the only 11 win team to miss the post season in NFL history. Meanwhile, the Browns became the 1st .500 team to win a division and which entitled them to the play-offs while we watched.

Pre-game: The Chicago Bears had done their infamous music video, "The Super Bowl Shuffle," prior to the start of the 1985 season. They went on to win the SB that year. The Raiders decided to imitate them by doing a music video of their own, "We're the Silver, We're the Black." I don't remember all of the players who took part in the video, but I do know that Marcus Allen was on of them. NBC, who did the AFC games back then, showed the video during their pre-game show.

They also did a brief mention of how the 49ers were developing a legacy of great WRs. They had mention some guy that had played for them in the 70s who had mentored Dwight Clark. Clark was now mentoring some guy I'd never heard of before named Jerry Rice. :D Can anyone tell me how that project worked out? :D

The Game: We had a bad 1st Quarter and it look like the Raiders might blow us out of our own stadium as my friend taunted me. Then Elway lead a 2nd Quarter comeback that included him scoring a TD on the 1st reception of his career from Steve Sewell. We still trailed, but I believe it was by less then a FG. Both teams slugged it out in the 2nd half which had numerous lead changes. We took a 2 point lead late in the 4th, but the Raiders still had plenty of time to drive for a game winning FG. Plunkett completed a couple of passes to my friend's delight. I started to worry that our defense may not be able to hold them back. Then it happened...

...Plunkett completed a pass to Allen just passed mid-field. He fought to get out of bounds while our defenders converged on him. Then all of the sudden...

...one of our defenders was able to rip the ball from Allen's grasp and it fell to the turf. At least 3 orange jersey then dove on it. My friend yelled "No" as I yelled "Yes."

It was all over except for the kneel down by Elway. That is how the 1986 season started.

topscribe
09-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Good thread, great idea.

I might interject that New England managed to miss the playoffs with a 11-5 record last year.

I'll try to get back with my favorite game, but I'm shutting it down for the night right now. :)

-----

Shazam!
09-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Two of my most memorable were in Shanahan's early days after getting abused by Oakland in 93 and 94, and losing six straight to those ******s overall-

@ Denver MNF, 1995 - Broncos dominate the Raiders 27-0. Broncos fans knew Mikey was on to something special.

@ Raiders MNF, 1996 - Rod Smith's late 50 yard TD catch to seal it 22-21. Denver goes to 9-1. I'll never forget the beginning intro from Al Michaels -"... and the Oakland Raiders take on the red hot Denver Broncos!" Ahh, those were the days...

Dirk
09-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Wow...I don't remember Al Michaels ever saying anything positive about the Broncos before they won the SB.

But anyway, I don't really have a favorite, I just love it when we can beat the Raiders...and they all feel good to me!

Dreadnought
09-24-2009, 08:24 AM
2008, First week, simply because it was such a beat down. Watching Eddie Royal eat up DeAngelo Hall all night long was laugh out loud funny.

Before that it was 1977, week 4 I think, and the World Champion Raiders were blown out by Denver. I still remember the pregame predictions in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, which were done by an ignorant blowhard named Bob Mathews IIR - he smugly predicted a Raiders wipeout of the flash-in-the-pan Broncos. Ken Stabler threw 7 interceptions (I can't exagerrate how much I hated him) and Jim Turner caught a TD pass off of a fake FG in what is possibly the slowest fly pattern in recorded history.

topscribe
09-24-2009, 09:24 AM
2008, First week, simply because it was such a beat down. Watching Eddie Royal eat up DeAngelo Hall all night long was laugh out loud funny.

Before that it was 1977, week 4 I think, and the World Champion Raiders were blown out by Denver. I still remember the pregame predictions in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, which were done by an ignorant blowhard named Bob Mathews IIR - he smugly predicted a Raiders wipeout of the flash-in-the-pan Broncos. Ken Stabler threw 7 interceptions (I can't exagerrate how much I hated him) and Jim Turner caught a TD pass off of a fake FG in what is possibly the slowest fly pattern in recorded history.

The 1977 game was the one I was going to mention. I remember listening to
the talk show on KOA radio during the week before the game, when a caller
asked the host what he thought the chances of Denver's winning were.
The host said, "I think they're pretty good."

Wow, that sounded sweet to me! I had never heard anything like that
before, regarding a clash between the Broncos and the Raiders. I think that
was the point where I realized the Broncos had something special going.

-----

nbenallo33
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
this game on sunday! :D

Dortoh
09-24-2009, 09:51 AM

LOL Jim "hightops" Turner.........slowest man in recorded history to score a touchdown :laugh:

Dortoh
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Favorite Faid/Bronco moment.

"ITS ALL OVER FAT MAN"

FTW

topscribe
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM

BTW, much as you say you hated Stabler, I know of a moment that must
have been particularly sweet to you.

It was in the third quarter of that first 1977 game against the Raiders, and,
down 21-7, the Raiders were getting desperate--a situation in which I had
never before seen them in a game against the Broncos.

So Stabler throws out a pass, and Louis Wright gratefully hauls it in and
sprints in for a touchdown. 27-7.

*Ah, the memories* . . . :cheers:

-----

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
My favorite game is all of the ones the Broncos win, in no particular order. If I had them on DVD I would start watching them right now.

NightTrainLayne
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
For some reason the losses to the Raiders stick with me more than the wins. Ask me for my worst memories of Raiders losses, and I could rattle off a list. Best wins is a lot tougher. Funny how that works.

FanInAZ
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
LOL Jim "hightops" Turner.........slowest man in recorded history to score a touchdown :laugh:

Don't be so sure about that. I think it was 1979 that I watched Craig Mortin score a TD on a naked bootleg against the Seahawks. I know, that wasn't a Raider moment. But man Mortin was slow!

frauschieze
09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Too funny! I read the title of the thread and my first thought was, "Man, that has to be the first 1986 game." It was the very first football game I ever watched at the tender age of 6. My dad was a Raiders fan; my first grade teacher, whom I idolized, taught John Elway and made a big deal about the game. I was tickled pink when we managed to pull off the win.

Somewhere in the lounge, I made a thread that has the infamous music video by the Raiders.

T.K.O.
09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
there are so many!
one of my favorites was oct 17th 2004...because thats my birthday and i always count on the broncos to give me a raider smacking when they play on or near my b-day....in 04' we beat them 31-3 and i found this little piece about it

"This is probably the worst one because I felt like we weren't in the ballgame. We can't let teams jump up on us," said Rice, who heard fans chanting "Jerry! Jerry!" as the clock ticked away in the final minutes. "I just hope nobody is basically going to throw the towel in, and we keep working hard in practice."

Denver's defense was suffocating, holding the Raiders' inept offense to 145 yards. The Raiders don't keep track of negative statistics in their media guide, but it was surely one of the most embarrassing performances in franchise history.:laugh:

NightTrainLayne
09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Too funny! I read the title of the thread and my first thought was, "Man, that has to be the first 1986 game." It was the very first football game I ever watched at the tender age of 6. My dad was a Raiders fan; my first grade teacher, whom I idolized, taught John Elway and made a big deal about the game. I was tickled pink when we managed to pull off the win.

Somewhere in the lounge, I made a thread that has the infamous music video by the Raiders.

Your Dad was a Raiders fan. .. this explains A LOT!!!!!

frauschieze
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Your Dad was a Raiders fan. .. this explains A LOT!!!!!

How so?

frauschieze
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
NTL.....:tsk:

You actually could have made this "joke" funny. :tailgate:

But yeah, if my dad wasn't a Raiders fan, I probably wouldn't be a Broncos fan today. The fact that the Raiders snatched defeat from the jaws of victory opening day 1986, sealed the deal. The later win was just icing.

Devilspawn
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
1993 playoff game wasn't half bad.

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
The Lgay raiders. :tsk:

topscribe
09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
1993 playoff game wasn't half bad.

Swept by the Raiders over three games that year. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed-1.gif

Of course, Buffalo had to enjoy the hell out of your next playoff game . . . :D

-----

Dortoh
09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Swept by the Raiders over three games that year. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed-1.gif

Of course, Buffalo had to enjoy the hell out of your next playoff game . . . :D

-----

Oddly as hard I as I try I cant seem to recall a single Faiders game that season :lol:

honz
09-24-2009, 04:35 PM
My favorite game was last year's game in Denver. Jay Cutler tore it up.

topscribe
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Oddly as hard I as I try I cant seem to recall a single Faiders game that season :lol:

Well, you're better off than I am. I can remember every single one of them.

Nurse . . . !!

-----

FanInAZ
09-24-2009, 05:43 PM
NTL.....:tsk:

You actually could have made this "joke" funny. :tailgate:

But yeah, if my dad wasn't a Raiders fan, I probably wouldn't be a Broncos fan today. The fact that the Raiders snatched defeat from the jaws of victory opening day 1986, sealed the deal. The later win was just icing.

No way Frau! With all due respect to your dad, if he told you that then he was a bitter homer. The fact is that was as great of a football game that you could have no matter what team you were a fan of. Both teams were evenly matched and made great plays on both side of the ball. Like I said in my 1st post on this thread, the Raiders were mounting a last minute desperation drive. If there would had been an extra minute on the clock or if the Raiders still had a TO, Allen would have just plowed into our defenders and gotten tacked then gone on to the next play. However, he had no choice but to fight to get out of bounds in order to stop the clock. This gave our D the opportunity to strip him. You can't blame Allen for trying to do what had to be done.

frauschieze
09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
No way Frau! With all due respect to your dad, if he told you that then he was a bitter homer. The fact is that was as great of a football game that you could have no matter what team you were a fan of. Both teams were evenly matched and made great plays on both side of the ball. Like I said in my 1st post on this thread, the Raiders were mounting a last minute desperation drive. If there would had been an extra minute on the clock or if the Raiders still had a TO, Allen would have just plowed into our defenders and gotten tacked then gone on to the next play. However, he had no choice but to fight to get out of bounds in order to stop the clock. This gave our D the opportunity to strip him. You can't blame Allen for trying to do what had to be done.

It was my dad's catchphrase for the Raiders. "Once again, they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory." I swear I heard it every close game they lost. :D

It still makes me smile.

East Coast Fan
09-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned this one; January 1st, 1978, Denver 20 Oakland 17 we win the "Rob Lytle non-fumble" game and go on to the Super Bowl for the first time ever.

But the one where we beat them in Oakland 30-7 was probably the most "fun" because we killed 'em in their stadium.

Dreadnought
09-24-2009, 11:41 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned this one; January 1st, 1978, Denver 20 Oakland 17 we win the "Rob Lytle non-fumble" game and go on to the Super Bowl for the first time ever.

But the one where we beat them in Oakland 30-7 was probably the most "fun" because we killed 'em in their stadium.

That wasn't a fumble. Only embittered Raider fans maintain that it was :D

topscribe
09-24-2009, 11:52 PM

Yes, and the playoff game you mentioned also brings back the story of how
Craig Morton got up from a hospital bed and went out to quarterback the game.
He was one of the toughest SOBs ever to put on football pads . . .

-----

East Coast Fan
09-25-2009, 07:46 AM
That wasn't a fumble. Only embittered Raider fans maintain that it was :D

That's right! That's why I called it a "non-fumble"! ;):D

East Coast Fan
09-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Yes, and the playoff game you mentioned also brings back the story of how
Craig Morton got up from a hospital bed and went out to quarterback the game.
He was one of the toughest SOBs ever to put on football pads . . .

-----

Remember him telling the offensive line "if you block for me I'll play", and they sure did keep the Raiders off of him that game. Jack Dolbin was a chiropractor student at the time and he worked on Morton which probably helped. Dolbin is now a chiropractor about 45 minutes away from me here in PA.

"77 was heaven".....:salute:

BCJ
09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I always favor the ones that has the Broncos coming out on top!
But, if you must twist my arm, 1977 AFC playoff game and more of an obscure one happened in 1995 when we took the Raiders into the name Faiders by starting their losing streak and out of the playoffs with a shutout victory. We hadnt beat them in a while and even knocked out their QB for awhile. Monday night football in october on a beautiful night. Place was buzzing and crowd was ready to start getting on the rivals a$$ for once. One of my first games since getting season tickets and thought that there is no way you can duplicate this by watching on tv.

T.K.O.
09-25-2009, 02:44 PM
i'm hoping its the one where the broncos win by the the largest margin of victory in a divisional opponents home field in the history of the nfl.....sunday sept.27th 2009;)

BroncoAV06
09-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Eddie Royal on MNF last year was big, just to open with a beat down and for Eddie to show what he was all about. The Shany TO the year before on the final field goal was classic IMO. Turn right around and win the game!

titan
09-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Oldies:

Tough to beat the 1977 pair -
30-7 win in Oakland game 5, one of the greatest and most important games in Bronco history. Oakland was defending super bowl champ and undefeated. Broncos 4-0 but against weaker teams. "It's all over, fat man" said Tom Jackson to John Madden.

20-17 afc championship win - best home game in bronco history as denver goes to its first Super Bowl. Game really wasn't as close as the score as denver lead 20-10 until Oakland scored with about 3 minutes to go. Which makes the "Lytle fumble" talk even more ridiculous (the Lytle fumble which was a bad call happened in the 2nd quarter with plenty of game left for the raiders to overcome that)

four years earlier:
1973 Denver 23 Oakland 23 - first Monday night game ever for the Broncos. Raiders looked to have it won with a late Blanda field goal but just enough time for the broncos to drive into field goal range themselves

1972 Denver 30 Oakland 23 Keyworth and Armstrong each rush for over 100 yards as the 1-4 broncos shock the raiders in oakland

Modern era:

2003 Denver 31 Oakland 10 - Jake Plummer got his face on the Madden Trailer after this convincing Bronco win over the 2002 Super Bowl runnerup

East Coast Fan
09-25-2009, 09:16 PM
20-17 afc championship win - best home game in bronco history as denver goes to its first Super Bowl. Game really wasn't as close as the score as denver lead 20-10 until Oakland scored with about 3 minutes to go. Which makes the "Lytle fumble" talk even more ridiculous (the Lytle fumble which was a bad call happened in the 2nd quarter with plenty of game left for the raiders to overcome that)

Only thing is, Oakland picked up the ball and was heading downfield to score when that play was whistled dead; by rights, that should've been 6 points for them, which would've made it a lot more interesting. But I believe that we got ripped off too, on a Dolbin catch for a touchdown that was ruled no catch; so I guess you could call it a "wash"...and Turner missed 3 field goals I believe which would've given us a little more breathing room. But like they say, it's done and it's "history" and the right team won! :D