View Full Version : Marshall buying in?

GEM
09-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Broncos' Marshall all kinds of happy
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/23/2009 01:10:03 PM MDT
Updated: 09/23/2009 01:14:33 PM MDT

Brandon Marshall against the Browns last Sunday. (Getty Images)

Brandon Marshall is trying to douse the drama surrounding him and stiff-arm any potential distraction his past drama may have brought to the team.

The Broncos' once-star receiver was a soldier for the team-before-self concept today.

When Marshall was asked about not playing through most of the second quarter Sunday in a 27-6 victory against the Cleveland Browns, he said: "Sir, you keep asking the same question. I keep answering it. I don't know what else you want me to do. I'm excited about playing against Oakland. I'm excited about us being 2-0. All I can do is do my job.

"Me being out there, not being out there as much as I used to be is something I have to get used to, but it's the National Football league.

Things change. I think I'm good enough to be out there, but it doesn't matter what I think, so all I can do is embrace it. I've learned from trying to fight the system. You know what, this is a great time of the season for us to be 2-0."

Does this mean Marshall, who issued a trade request on June 12, and again August 17, is happy to be a Bronco?

"You guys are asking me questions from a month ago," Marshall said. "That's in the past. We're 2-0, the fans are happy, the players are happy, coaches are happy. Everybody's happy. Every Denver Bronco, fan, are happy right now. And I'm the same."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

Dortoh
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Not to be a smartass but he is starting to sound like a 12 year old boy that just got put into his place by mom.

That/this could be really good for the Broncos

Slick
09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
i don't buy it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get dealt before the trade deadline.

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 02:50 PM
"That's in the past. We're 2-0, the fans are happy, the players are happy, coaches are happy. Everybody's happy. Every Denver Bronco, fan, are happy right now. And I'm the same."

wow a lawyer would have a hard time proving he said he was a happy bronco breaking this down. he is either very smart and worded it perfectly so that it could be taken as "he is the same....as he has been" or "he also is a happy bronco"......i guess he's a happy bronco for now.

its better than the ole'" i'm happy to be playing football".....with the broncos? "im happy to be playing football"

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 02:51 PM
not sure how to read it..

whether he is being contrite.. and getting it.. and trying to learn the scheme and routes..

or being insolent and tolerating it because he now knows he can't force a trade.. and riding the wave all the way to the bank with his 2.2 mil and waiting for the season to be over..

I hope it is the former, but really think he is coasting till DEC..

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 02:52 PM
He knows he needs to step up if he wants bigger paycheck.

Maybe lesson learned and time to move on and step up.

NightTrainLayne
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Well. . .about all we can do is take it at it's face value and hope for the best.

Kaylore
09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Not to be a smartass but he is starting to sound like a 12 year old boy that just got put into his place by mom.

That's probably because that's who he is: A petulant child that has never been told "no" and now FINALLY has a Nanny.

Thank you Josh McDaniels. That's one more thing you got right.

Timmy!
09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Could be a lot worse. I'd try to get the ball in his hands early against the Faid and see how he plays. If Marshall will buy in this offense shifts to a whole new level.

Dortoh
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
That's probably because that's who he is: A petulant child that has never been told "no" and now FINALLY has a Nanny.

Thank you Josh McDaniels. That's one more thing you got right.

I've been hard on McD and still have concerns but fair is fair. He handled this situation well or atleast it would seem so at this point.

+1 coach McD

Slick
09-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Could be a lot worse. I'd try to get the ball in his hands early against the Faid and see how he plays. If Marshall will buy in this offense shifts to a whole new level.

I believe he caught the first pass last Sunday, then went MIA for a quarter and a half. You don't run a base offense that uses 3wr sets dress only four, throw 27 passes in the first half, and keep him on the sidelines for more than a quarter. There's still crap going on that we don't know about.

At least they're keeping it in house.

Dortoh
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I believe he caught the first pass last Sunday, then went MIA for a quarter and a half. You don't run a base offense that uses 3wr sets dress only four, throw 27 passes in the first half, and keep him on the sidelines for more than a quarter. There's still crap going on that we don't know about.

At least they're keeping it in house.

When I saw they were only dressing 4 wr's I figured BMarsh was back on track for sure or we were going to pound the ball with mutli TE sets now all I know for sure is we were not going to pound the ball :laugh:

smith49
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
i think there was a play in the first quarter or early second which marshall went on about a fifteen or twentey yard out. orton threw the ball to a ten yard out and nobody was there. maybee brandon still has yet to memorize the play book and that is why he sat out for a while. im just speculating, but that is what came to my mind when i saw him sitting for the entire second quarter. either way, if marshall is not ready to play, and other wideouts have put the time in on the practice field and in the class room, they deserve to be in there. when that little baby brandon can prepare himself and know the offense like the others do, then he should be an every down wide out.

broncohead
09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Marshall might as well go back to saying nothing. Seems like whatever he says gets a negative twist by a poster. He may not want to be here but he is honoring his contract.

Slick
09-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Well. . .about all we can do is take it at it's face value and hope for the best.Yup. Even his biggest detractors have those hopes. He's the most talented receiver we've ever had, well, since I started watching in '77. I want him to get it, to succeed as much as anyone else here, does.

When I saw they were only dressing 4 wr's I figured BMarsh was back on track for sure or we were going to pound the ball with mutli TE sets now all I know for sure is we were not going to pound the ball :laugh:

They ran some two TE sets in the second half. I didn't see many single TE sets with Hillis and a RB, but they pounded it a little.

Benetto
09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Marshall is obviously aware that his off season antics have caused no teams to want to break the bank and trade for him...One of his advisers must have told him to bite the bullet, and at least act like a team player so other teams can see he might have changed as a person. If he is going to act like a punk ass and request a trade just because he is not happy, who is gonna want to trade for him and pay him like a top 5 WR? That's why he has changed his tune.

Regardless I am happy....We will get decent play out of him until 2010, and make him earn 2.2 million.

I just hope he doesn't fake an injury, and start blaming the Medical staff again when they say he's not hurt and okay to play...IE: Hip injury of 08.:coffee:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Rather than start a new thread, figured this article would fit here.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.1203541.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ― Brandon Marshall insists he's comfortable with the Denver Broncos playbook and that his surgically repaired hip is no longer an issue.

However, the mercurial receiver doesn't know why he is not playing more. Marshall spent most of the second quarter on the bench when the offense had the ball against Cleveland last weekend. He finished with three catches for 34 yards.

He said Wednesday that he's good enough to be out there.

Marshall also said he's learned from trying to fight the system. He missed most of the team's offseason program while rehabbing from hip surgery and protesting his contract.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels suspended Marshall for the last two games of the preseason for his petulant behavior at practice.

D1g1tal j1m
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
From reading that, it appears that Marshall has started to listen to his advisers (or at least he got someone who knows how to handle these things). He didn't say anything that would lead to more controversy and is making sure to not make anymore enemies in the locker-room. We are winning and he is has had minimal input in our success, it goes to show that he was not as indispensable as he thought he was.

Winning has put him in his place, lets hope it continues through the season.

Northman
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Not only that but if the Broncos were 0-2 or if a serious losing skid comes along i can pretty much bet we will get a different tone again from him.

Northman
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Marshall might as well go back to saying nothing.

We can only wish he was that smart.

Dortoh
09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Not only that but if the Broncos were 0-2 or if a serious losing skid comes along i can pretty much bet we will get a different tone again from him.

Interesting, maybe like he is saying to himself "shit maybe these guys can do some stuff without me and the team does not need to revolve around me"

As far as him changing if things go bad it would not surprise me at all.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Another article

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13397543?source=searchles

Q: Last week (a report) revealed that Mike Shanahan was going to cut Brandon Marshall, but I haven't really seen anything in The Post on it. What do you know about this, and has this maybe helped Marshall realize that he is not as great as he thinks he is and has some work to do? Is he still in Josh McDaniels' doghouse?

A: In this day and age of the Internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc., there are reports about a lot of things. And when it comes to the Broncos, Marshall's activities have led the way it seems.

Sometimes the reports are responsible, and sometimes they are not. Sometimes, especially at some of the larger operations, like ESPN for example, they have a pile of people covering the league who are almost competing with one another to be first. In my opinion, it has caused some folks — many of whom I've known for quite some time — to perhaps rush some things on air as they jockey for their own spots within the company.

Some may disagree with that, but it's just an observation.

There was indeed a report about Shanahan having a plan to cut Marshall after last season. All I can tell you is that Shanahan has told people I know very well the report was not true, that he had no intention of cutting Marshall.

And frankly, the logic isn't quite there in the original premise since Shanahan had often kept — and paid far more to — players like Travis Henry who had far deeper off-the-field troubles. Henry was eventually cut when the list of transgressions got too long, but that was long after he had already secured a huge signing bonus from the team.

That's not to say Shanahan would have signed Marshall to a new deal any more quickly than the team's current administration. The team had begun to limit his finances a little more late in his tenure, and they were less active in the free-agent market after spending mistakes like Simeon Rice cost the franchise some big money.

Shanahan would have likely made Marshall play out this season, or at least most of it, as well to see where his development was on and off the field before giving him a new deal.

As far as the doghouse, McDaniels is going to play Marshall, but McDaniels will also rotate, and Marshall's playing time won't increase until his routes are cleaner.

Slick
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
From reading that, it appears that Marshall has started to listen to his advisers (or at least he got someone who knows how to handle these things). He didn't say anything that would lead to more controversy and is making sure to not make anymore enemies in the locker-room. We are winning and he is has had minimal input in our success, it goes to show that he was not as indispensable as he thought he was.

Winning has put him in his place, lets hope it continues through the season.

Great post Jim. I think you're right here. Watching them win without much contribution on his part made him realize that he needs to get on board, or get left behind. I'd love to have Brandon the rookie/second year player back, minus the legal troubles.

GEM
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Another article

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13397543?source=searchles

Q: Last week (a report) revealed that Mike Shanahan was going to cut Brandon Marshall, but I haven't really seen anything in The Post on it. What do you know about this, and has this maybe helped Marshall realize that he is not as great as he thinks he is and has some work to do? Is he still in Josh McDaniels' doghouse?

A: In this day and age of the Internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc., there are reports about a lot of things. And when it comes to the Broncos, Marshall's activities have led the way it seems.

Sometimes the reports are responsible, and sometimes they are not. Sometimes, especially at some of the larger operations, like ESPN for example, they have a pile of people covering the league who are almost competing with one another to be first. In my opinion, it has caused some folks — many of whom I've known for quite some time — to perhaps rush some things on air as they jockey for their own spots within the company.

Some may disagree with that, but it's just an observation.

There was indeed a report about Shanahan having a plan to cut Marshall after last season. All I can tell you is that Shanahan has told people I know very well the report was not true, that he had no intention of cutting Marshall.

And frankly, the logic isn't quite there in the original premise since Shanahan had often kept — and paid far more to — players like Travis Henry who had far deeper off-the-field troubles. Henry was eventually cut when the list of transgressions got too long, but that was long after he had already secured a huge signing bonus from the team.

That's not to say Shanahan would have signed Marshall to a new deal any more quickly than the team's current administration. The team had begun to limit his finances a little more late in his tenure, and they were less active in the free-agent market after spending mistakes like Simeon Rice cost the franchise some big money.

Shanahan would have likely made Marshall play out this season, or at least most of it, as well to see where his development was on and off the field before giving him a new deal.

As far as the doghouse, McDaniels is going to play Marshall, but McDaniels will also rotate, and Marshall's playing time won't increase until his routes are cleaner.

Does Mortenson ever have a friggen clue as to what the hell he is talking about? :rolleyes:

AlWilsonizKING
09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
i think there was a play in the first quarter or early second which marshall went on about a fifteen or twentey yard out. orton threw the ball to a ten yard out and nobody was there. maybee brandon still has yet to memorize the play book and that is why he sat out for a while. im just speculating, but that is what came to my mind when i saw him sitting for the entire second quarter. either way, if marshall is not ready to play, and other wideouts have put the time in on the practice field and in the class room, they deserve to be in there. when that little baby brandon can prepare himself and know the offense like the others do, then he should be an every down wide out.

I was wondering if he did it on purpose.....to try and "hurt the team"

PEACE!!!

honz
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
We can only wish he was that smart.

He got ripped apart by the media when he said nothing. He's in a lose/lose situation here...I mean he brought it on himself, but he's still going to be criticized by someone no matter what he does for a while.

Dortoh
09-23-2009, 05:22 PM
He got ripped apart by the media when he said nothing. He's in a lose/lose situation here...I mean he brought it on himself, but he's still going to be criticized by someone no matter what he does for a while.

The only way he gets the media out of his face is to bring it on the field and tear some defenses up..........atleast that would make me happy

Tned-Mobile
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM

It might be that he doesn't know the plays, but Orton had similar throws to many other receivers. It was hard to tell whether they were horrible throws by Orton, bad routes by the receivers or Orton getting rid of the ball, because of pressure or no receiver being open.

scott.475
09-23-2009, 06:00 PM
"I've learned..."
"I've learned..."
"i've learned..."

eh, whatever, that falls on deaf ears after so many times. I don't trust him and would not be at all surprised is some of his bad routes were intentional.

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Marshall has 7 receptions which is more than any other Brocos player right now so why would he complain?

How good would his stats be if he knew the plays?

Tned-Mobile
09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Marshall is obviously aware that his off season antics have caused no teams to want to break the bank and trade for him...One of his advisers must have told him to bite the bullet, and at least act like a team player so other teams can see he might have changed as a person. If he is going to act like a punk ass and request a trade just because he is not happy, who is gonna want to trade for him and pay him like a top 5 WR? That's why he has changed his tune.

Regardless I am happy....We will get decent play out of him until 2010, and make him earn 2.2 million.

I just hope he doesn't fake an injury, and start blaming the Medical staff again when they say he's not hurt and okay to play...IE: Hip injury of 08.:coffee:

You think he faked the hip injury and had an unneeded hip surgery as an excuse to request a trade? :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
You think he faked the hip injury and had an unneeded hip surgery as an excuse to request a trade? :confused:

Kind of makes you wonder. I don't remember him out any games last year because of the hip, (maybe he was, and I just don't remember), and didn't he play in the ProBowl last year? But I can't imagine any one having unneeded hip surgery though.

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 06:46 PM

I suspect he did indeed have an injury..

but as to doctors clearing him to play..

it could have been for many reasons:

because he was competitive..

jay wanted him and his ability on the field..

doctors may have brow beat by an unnamed person in authority (Al Wilson conspiracists like this one)..

doctors flat out did not see the issue..

perhaps the hip was aggravated after the season while in HNL..

at his insistence wanting the bonus this year..

or it could be one or all of the above.. We all know that doctors opinions can vary from Doctor to Doctor.. some want a natural resolution and some just like to cut..

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Kind of makes you wonder. I don't remember him out any games last year because of the hip, (maybe he was, and I just don't remember), and didn't he play in the ProBowl last year? But I can't imagine any one having unneeded hip surgery though.

he missed one game last year due a Roger Goddell finding..

dogfish
09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
The only way he gets the media out of his face is to bring it on the field and tear some defenses up..........atleast that would make me happy

if he does, i guarantee you somebody will complain that he's only doing it because he wants that new contract, and what a selfish ass he is. . . . :laugh:

DenBronx
09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
people will find ways to twist what marshall says into negitism and fail to see any positive change in him.

marshall is happy to be a bronco and he is learning a new system like most everyone else on the team.

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 07:45 PM
if he does, i guarantee you somebody will complain that he's only doing it because he wants that new contract, and what a selfish ass he is. . . . :laugh:

not ME ~!:elefant:

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 08:54 PM

I hope he tears it up the rest of the season, if for no other reason than to get a #1 and #3 for him as a RFA.. and win us some games..

I hardly think he will ever be a BFF with Josh..

dogfish
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I hope he tears it up the rest of the season, if for no other reason than to get a #1 and #3 for him as a RFA.. and win us some games..

that's not important anyways-- lots of guys have hated parcells, and still played well for him. . . .

Dean
09-23-2009, 10:54 PM

How much would the qualifying offer from the Broncos have to be to get a first and third round pick for not matching another team's contract offer? IMO, I don't see that the Broncos are going to gamble big money on him or they would have already done so.

Who knows what will happen but I see him walking next year with little in compensation in return.

Buff
09-23-2009, 11:03 PM
He's buying in, but then he misses practice today with an "illness"... Dude's taken more sick days in 2 months than I've taken in the last 2 years. I don't buy it.

smith49
09-23-2009, 11:55 PM
It might be that he doesn't know the plays, but Orton had similar throws to many other receivers. It was hard to tell whether they were horrible throws by Orton, bad routes by the receivers or Orton getting rid of the ball, because of pressure or no receiver being open.

good point, but for some reason that just stuck in my head when we saw marshall sitting out for so long. like the coaches lost confidence in him knowing where he was supposed to be on certain plays. just a thought, probly the wrong one, hopefully the wrong one.

Lonestar
09-24-2009, 02:44 AM
How much would the qualifying offer from the Broncos have to be to get a first and third round pick for not matching another team's contract offer? IMO, I don't see that the Broncos are going to gamble big money on him or they would have already done so.

Who knows what will happen but I see him walking next year with little in compensation in return.

if he wants out, then he better play his ass off.. because he is a RFA next year and all they have to do is put the highest tender on him.. 1st and 3rd..

If he does not, then it does not cost us, but peanuts to place that tender on him about the same amount of money as this year.. 3.3 mil or so..

if teams want him then they have to pay.. if they do not he stays and plays here.. sooner or later the moron will "get " it..

FanInAZ
09-24-2009, 03:12 AM
"That's in the past. We're 2-0, the fans are happy, the players are happy, coaches are happy. Everybody's happy. Every Denver Bronco, fan, are happy right now. And I'm the same."

wow a lawyer would have a hard time proving he said he was a happy bronco breaking this down. he is either very smart and worded it perfectly so that it could be taken as "he is the same....as he has been" or "he also is a happy bronco"......i guess he's a happy bronco for now.

its better than the ole'" i'm happy to be playing football".....with the broncos? "im happy to be playing football"

Keep in mind that Marshall has to know that those reporters are a bunch of sharks trying to bait him into saying something that they can make a big deal of. If I ever became famous enough that reports would want to interview me, I would guard every word that came out of my mouth.

As far as whether or not I believe he has changed, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt unless his conduct from here forward leaves no doubt. Many make lip service statements about how they have changed. Some actually do change.

Tned
09-24-2009, 07:25 AM
good point, but for some reason that just stuck in my head when we saw marshall sitting out for so long. like the coaches lost confidence in him knowing where he was supposed to be on certain plays. just a thought, probly the wrong one, hopefully the wrong one.

While McDaniels keeps claiming it was part of a normal WR rotation, I like most people, don't believe it. He must have done something, whether run sloppy routes or made some other mistake, or smarted off to a coach -- something.

All I know is that the passing game seems to be better when he is on the field. Take the second quarter. No Marshall, lousy passing game. Third quarter. No Royal, but Marshall in. Better passing game.

Dirk
09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I still don't trust him. Period.

Call me a skeptic if you will, but I know this kid has mad skills and it just isn't manifesting on the field.

Something is not right somewhere.

broncofaninfla
09-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Wow, some of you guys amaze me. Marshall says the right things and you still slam him. Most of you are the same people that preach patience for Orton, why can't you give Marshall the same patience? The guy has been a bonehead at times, no doubt about it but he has also been one hell of a player for us during his career and is still the best receiver we have on the field.

Dirk
09-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not giving up on him or slamming him at all. Like I said, the kid has mad skills. Something just doesn't seem right.

It could be simply because he is trying to catch up. I just don't know. The reason I don't trust him is because of the way he played the whole I worked all offseason to be ready and he wasn't. Could just be an immature statement on his part.

I'm just a skeptic. :D If he would have been all about the team like Orton, I wouldn't be skeptical. :listen:

broncofaninfla
09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not giving up on him or slamming him at all. Like I said, the kid has mad skills. Something just doesn't seem right.

It could be simply because he is trying to catch up. I just don't know. The reason I don't trust him is because of the way he played the whole I worked all offseason to be ready and he wasn't. Could just be an immature statement on his part.

I'm just a skeptic. :D If he would have been all about the team like Orton, I wouldn't be skeptical. :listen:

That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Just the general vibe of this thread. It just seems kind of hypocritical to ask for patience with Orton and the offense and not grant that same leniency to Marshall.

Marshall didn't play much in the first half last week and we didn't do much on offense as a result. Marshall did play a lot in the second half and the offense was much more effective. Although Marshall didn't have many catches the double and triple teams he draws did help the other WR's and running game. Check out Ortons second half stats as oppossed to his first half stats.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7282/situational;_ylt=Ajbk9sEP5qK3Z_VuuNGHhHD.uLYF

Buff
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow, some of you guys amaze me. Marshall says the right things and you still slam him. Most of you are the same people that preach patience for Orton, why can't you give Marshall the same patience? The guy has been a bonehead at times, no doubt about it but he has also been one hell of a player for us during his career and is still the best receiver we have on the field.

Totally different degrees of boneheadedness. No one is questioning Orton's work ethic or desire to play for the Broncos. He makes some bad decisions, but they are not malicious or intentional.

Marshall is selfish and already sold the team out a number of times. I don't trust him at all.

That said, I'd still like to see him do well for us and see more time on the field because of his physical ability. But he needs to walk the walk.

claymore
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Totally different degrees of boneheadedness. No one is questioning Orton's work ethic or desire to play for the Broncos. He makes some bad decisions, but they are not malicious or intentional.

Marshall is selfish and already sold the team out a number of times. I don't trust him at all.

That said, I'd still like to see him do well for us and see more time on the field because of his physical ability. But he needs to walk the walk.

If we continue to win Marshall will buy in. He would be a even bigger fool not to.

Having said that..... Raider week is the perfect time to make a case to get paid by the Broncos, and be loved by the fans.

I hope Marshall has a statement game this weekend.

Dortoh
09-24-2009, 10:24 AM

Not me I'll blame McD ;)

Dirk
09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Not me I'll blame McD ;)

But of course! :lol:

Reidman
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
7 receptions leads the team..!?!?

Wow, that is amazing to me given the WR talent...

Anyway, I think Marshall is gonna tear Oakland up this weekend, a statement game..

Slick
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Just the general vibe of this thread. It just seems kind of hypocritical to ask for patience with Orton and the offense and not grant that same leniency to Marshall.

Marshall didn't play much in the first half last week and we didn't do much on offense as a result. Marshall did play a lot in the second half and the offense was much more effective. Although Marshall didn't have many catches the double and triple teams he draws did help the other WR's and running game. Check out Ortons second half stats as oppossed to his first half stats.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7282/situational;_ylt=Ajbk9sEP5qK3Z_VuuNGHhHD.uLYF

Some of us are wondering why he didn't play much, why would, arguably, the most talented player on the football team be sitting on the bench? Look, I don't think there's a Bronco fan in the universe that doesn't want him to succeed in Denver, he's just made us skeptical because of his past.

Tned
09-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Some of us are wondering why he didn't play much, why would, arguably, the most talented player on the football team be sitting on the bench? Look, I don't think there's a Bronco fan in the universe that doesn't want him to succeed in Denver, he's just made us skeptical because of his past.

Which past? The one where has been one of the most dominant WR's in the league over the last two years? or, the one that saw him have one off-season of problems with a new coaching/front office staff that had a tumultuous off season?

Marshall has been dominant on the field. I am surprised so many fans have thrown him under the bus for the off-season issues.

NightTrainLayne
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Which past? The one where has been one of the most dominant WR's in the league over the last two years? or, the one that saw him have one off-season of problems with a new coaching/front office staff that had a tumultuous off season?

Marshall has been dominant on the field. I am surprised so many fans have thrown him under the bus for the off-season issues.

You mention "one off-season of problems with a new coaching/front office staff. . ."

Sure it's only one off-season, but it's all they've personally seen from him. What has he done to show he is a contributor to the team since the new coaching staff arrived?

GEM
09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
The guy is one more personal issue away from a serious suspension from the NFL. He's done nothing to make anyone believe he wants to be here and wants to give his all.

Are you saying that he's given no reasons for fans to be skeptical? On the field is great but the things he does puts him in serious jeopardy of not being able to get on the field. On top of the behavior that screams me, me, me instead of TEAM which is what the coach is trying to instill.

Slick
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Well he hasn't been dominant on the field this year, and it's a result of not being in camp, pouting, demanding a trade, going to court, getting suspended for kicking a football, hitting his girlfriend/fiance...all that stuff just adds up. No one is throwing him under the bus, we just want the dominant Brandon you spoke of, not a guy who seems disinterested and lackadaisical.

Tned
09-24-2009, 12:36 PM
You mention "one off-season of problems with a new coaching/front office staff. . ."

Sure it's only one off-season, but it's all they've personally seen from him. What has he done to show he is a contributor to the team since the new coaching staff arrived?

I believe he is the leading receiver on the team (receptions) and either is first or second in throws in his direction. That, is with limited playing time.

As a couple reporters said early in camp, Marshall and McDaniels were playing a game of chicken and Marshall learned the hard way that in this game, McD and the Broncos were the only ones with leverage. I think he handled it poorly, no doubt about it. I also think McDaniels forced the issue with the scout team stuff (working him as a scout team gunner, safety, etc.). However, that is McDaniels' coaching/management style and we may find over time that it is brutal but effective.

Beyond that, we don't know what's happening in the closed practices, in the meeting rooms or what is being said on the sideline. All we can see is that he is 'at least' as productive as any other receiver on the field this year, and arguably more so.

Well he hasn't been dominant on the field this year, and it's a result of not being in camp, pouting, demanding a trade, going to court, getting suspended for kicking a football, hitting his girlfriend/fiance...all that stuff just adds up. No one is throwing him under the bus, we just want the dominant Brandon you spoke of, not a guy who seems disinterested and lackadaisical.

He has been at least as dominant as any other reciever on this team, and IMO more than any other. When he is on the field, the passing attack in general is better, because he commands more of the defenses attention.

I don't think it is a concidence that at the end of the Bengals game, both passes in that final drive went to a double covered Marshall (one intercepted out of bounds and the other being the immaculate deflection).

This past Sunday, in the second quarter with Marshall on the sideline, the offense sputtered. When he came back in the third quarter, he was featured and the offense moved again.

They are all learning it, and Orton appears to be getting better each week, but the QB plays a role in how visible 'dominance' is.

broncofaninfla
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM
The guy is one more personal issue away from a serious suspension from the NFL. He's done nothing to make anyone believe he wants to be here and wants to give his all.

Are you saying that he's given no reasons for fans to be skeptical? On the field is great but the things he does puts him in serious jeopardy of not being able to get on the field. On top of the behavior that screams me, me, me instead of TEAM which is what the coach is trying to instill.

Marshall HAS been a bonehead and Denver fans have every reason to be skeptical as they do with with Orton and the initial slow start by the offense. If we have to be patient to wait on the offense and Orton why can't we grant that same patience to Marshall? The new season started @ game 1 and since game 1 Marshall hasn't had any negitive issues. There has been no me, me , me since game 1. The offseason, preseason doen't matter anymore now. What matters now is we are 2-0 and we have the Raiders standing in the way of 3-0. Let's give him a chance people. The kid has mad skills and his play in the past and his play so far this season merits that chance. If he screws up, I'll be the first to call for his but until then I'm pulling for 15 when he is on the field to show the skills he has or draw the double and triple teams and open the other guys up.

Tned
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM

Also, I think we sometimes see 'what we want to see'. Many of you, see a disinterested, lackadaisical Marshall.

I see a receiver that is fighting for the ball at the end of the Bengals game. That is fighting for yards after the catch, as he always has. Who gets a 'dumb' (as so many have termed it) holding penalty, as a result of trying to block down the field for his RB, like Broncos receivers of old were taught to do. A receiver that is gaining 25 yards on a reverse, after picking up six on a pass, after being benched for a whole quarter.

I don't see a disinterested player, I see a receiver that is clearly fighting for extra yards and to help the team win.

Maybe my view is blinded by my preconceptions, like it is likely that others have their views colored by their preconceptions.

broncofaninfla
09-24-2009, 12:43 PM

Marshall didn't play much in the first half last week and our offense sputtered. His importance wasn't noticed that much in the second half mainly because he wasn't a viable receiving option due to the double and triple teams he received. BUT that attention from the defense opened up the other guys and as a result the offense came to life.

Tned
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Marshall HAS been a bonehead and Denver fans have every reason to be skeptical as they do with with Orton and the initial slow start by the offense. If we have to be patient to wait on the offense and Orton why can't we grant that same patience to Marshall? The new season started @ game 1 and since game 1 Marshall hasn't had any negitive issues. There has been no me, me , me since game 1. The offseason, preseason doen't matter anymore now. What matters now is we are 2-0 and we have the Raiders standing in the way of 3-0. Let's give him a chance people. The kid has mad skills and his play in the past and his play so far this season merits that chance. If he screws up, I'll be the first to call for his but until then I'm pulling for 15 when he is on the field to show the skills he has or draw the double and triple teams and open the other guys up.

I think you summed it up better than I did, but this reflects my views pretty well.

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I am being patiently skeptical of Marshall. He hasn't shown me anything either way or the other. That may be a good thing since no news is good news.

He has seven reception, one more than any one else. His YC is 8.7 which is better than Royal but worse than others.

He is doing OK but none of our receivers are doing that great right now.

By the time we go into SD we'll have a lot better idea. We may know a lot more this Sunday.

Slick
09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Normally I'm an optimistic person, but I'm not in Marshall's case. It's obvious we don't see the situation the same. The one thing we agree on is, the offense is better when he's on the field, something I'd like to see more of.

broncofaninfla
09-24-2009, 01:19 PM
I am being patiently skeptical of Marshall. He hasn't shown me anything either way or the other. That may be a good thing since no news is good news.

He has seven reception, one more than any one else. His YC is 8.7 which is better than Royal but worse than others.

He is doing OK but none of our receivers are doing that great right now.

By the time we go into SD we'll have a lot better idea. We may know a lot more this Sunday.

Hopefully Marshall and the other WR's can make some big plays this week against that Raiders. It will be tough though. Oakland has a pretty stout defense this year.

Lonestar
09-24-2009, 01:27 PM
If we continue to win Marshall will buy in. He would be a even bigger fool not to.

Having said that..... Raider week is the perfect time to make a case to get paid by the Broncos, and be loved by the fans.

I hope Marshall has a statement game this weekend.

I for one after seeing the interviews on BTV am not sure that he is not just going thru the motions.. Knowing that 2.2 mil rides on his presence on the field ..

we get the same comments from Josh and BM that he knows the offense and from BM he is in better physical condition this year than he was ALL YEAR last year.. and the he made two mistakes only in the last game and seems to be questioning why he is not getting more playing time..

now none of us can see what happens in practice nor in meetings.. we can only see what happens on the field..

since we do not know what plays are being called from the sidelines and WHY they are being called we also can't know for sure what the thinking is.

when I have seen BM in the games or hi-lites I have seen him drop balls that should have been caught easy catches that tells me he is not concentrating on doing what he is being paid to do..

I suspect there is more to the story than we all know..

that said I hope he burns it up from this point on if for no other reason it is contract year and if he does it helps us win some games we perhaps should not win.. and secondarily it increases his trade values or interest since he is a RFA this year..

TXBRONC
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Normally I'm an optimistic person, but I'm not in Marshall's case. It's obvious we don't see the situation the same. The one thing we agree on is, the offense is better when he's on the field, something I'd like to see more of.

If he was sand bagging it I really don't see the offense looking better against the Browns.

Slick
09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
If he was sand bagging it I really don't see the offense looking better against the Browns.
Not sure I follow you here. Are you saying he was, or he wasn't?

TXBRONC
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
"I've learned..."
"I've learned..."
"i've learned..."

eh, whatever, that falls on deaf ears after so many times. I don't trust him and would not be at all surprised is some of his bad routes were intentional.

How do you that bad route running? It very easily could have been poor passing.

Tned
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
when I have seen BM in the games or hi-lites I have seen him drop balls that should have been caught easy catches that tells me he is not concentrating on doing what he is being paid to do..

Out of curiosity, when you see the replays of Stokely dropping BIG passes that him right in the mits, do you see that as a concentration issue -- Stokely not doing what he is paid to do?

Just wondering if we are holding all players to the same standard as Marshall.

broncofaninfla
09-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Out of curiosity, when you see the replays of Stokely dropping BIG passes that him right in the mits, do you see that as a concentration issue -- Stokely not doing what he is paid to do?

Great point :beer:

Lonestar
09-24-2009, 04:34 PM

absolutely but IIRC this thread is about Marshal..

want me to critique the other Brandon start a thread.. I'll jump on..

dogfish
09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Most of you are the same people that preach patience for Orton, why can't you give Marshall the same patience?

If we have to be patient to wait on the offense and Orton why can't we grant that same patience to Marshall?

no offense intended, but how patient have you been with knowshon?

;)

the kid has two games of pro experience vs. brandon's three years, but you've complained/worried about his play in multiple threads. . . .

just sayin'. . . .

Tned
09-24-2009, 05:27 PM
absolutely but IIRC this thread is about Marshal..

want me to critique the other Brandon start a thread.. I'll jump on..

The point is that the whole passing game has been weak. It isn't just Marshall. Sheffler had a huge drop week 1, graham, Gaffeny has had several drops. Stokely has had two drops that you NEVER expect from Stokes. Then there is Orton's throws. It's hard to single Marshall out, when so many other players in the passing game (even the pass blockers) are struggling with the new scheme.

Dortoh
09-24-2009, 05:28 PM
no offense intended, but how patient have you been with knowshon?

;)

the kid has two games of pro experience vs. brandon's three years, but you've complained/worried about his play in multiple threads. . . .

just sayin'. . . .

But to be fair Orton sucks

http://www.b-29s-over-korea.com/Hydrogen_Bomb/images/H-bomb_1.gif

Tned
09-24-2009, 05:36 PM

I think a better description would be to say he is a good 'game manager'.

Thnikkaman
09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

But to be fair, as a Bronco, Orton is 2-0 with no ints. Cutler is 1-1 with 4 ints.
Marshal also has the most receptions by our wide recievers. Marshal will not see another 100+ reception season without Shanahan calling plays and Cutler slinging the rock. However, if we keep "overachieving", Marshal is going to get used to winning (like Moss did in NE). He will come around or not. If he doesn't we have plenty of weapons, and I believe that free agent WR's will want to come play for us.

I am also drunk on the Kool-Aid. I recommend it highly for everyone. Its really good shit.

Tned
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
But to be fair, as a Bronco, Orton is 2-0 with no ints. Cutler is 1-1 with 4 ints.
Marshal also has the most receptions by our wide recievers. Marshal will not see another 100+ reception season without Shanahan calling plays and Cutler slinging the rock. However, if we keep "overachieving", Marshal is going to get used to winning (like Moss did in NE). He will come around or not. If he doesn't we have plenty of weapons, and I believe that free agent WR's will want to come play for us.

I am also drunk on the Kool-Aid. I recommend it highly for everyone. Its really good shit.

Marshall 'might' not see another 100 reception season with McDaniel's calling the plays, but even that isn't a given. What did Welker have last year?

There is a very good chance that Marshall will have many more 100 reception seasons in his career.

Also, while it is hard to imagine as us fans watch a clearly stuggling passing game, here are some stats the Patrick Smyth of the Broncos tweeted the other day:

Kyle Orton: 5-1 in his last 6 starts. Ties for 2nd-best mark among NFL starting QBs during that time (P. Manning is only 6-0 QB). 2nd in NFL in 25-yd comp. (7), 3rd in avg. comp. (14.1), 6th in avg. yds. at catch (10.2). Only AFC QB with 50+att., 0 INTs.

Lonestar
09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
I for one after seeing the interviews on BTV am not sure that he is not just going thru the motions.. Knowing that 2.2 mil rides on his presence on the field ..

we get the same comments from Josh and BM that he knows the offense and from BM he is in better physical condition this year than he was ALL YEAR last year.. and the he made two mistakes only in the last game and seems to be questioning why he is not getting more playing time..

now none of us can see what happens in practice nor in meetings.. we can only see what happens on the field..

since we do not know what plays are being called from the sidelines and WHY they are being called we also can't know for sure what the thinking is.

that said I hope he burns it up from this point on if for no other reason it is contract year and if he does it helps us win some games we perhaps should not win.. and secondarily it increases his trade values or interest since he is a RFA this year..

I find it interesting that from my post that was the only thing you took from it.. and forgot to quote the ending paragarph..

that said I hope he burns it up from this point on if for no other reason it is contract year and if he does, it helps us win some games we perhaps should not win.. and secondarily it increases his trade values or interest since he is a RFA this year..

the thread is afterall is marshall buying in.. not is eddie making mistakes..

Tned
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I find it interesting that from my post that was the only thing you took from it.. and forgot to quote the ending paragarph..

that said I hope he burns it up from this point on if for no other reason it is contract year and if he does, it helps us win some games we perhaps should not win.. and secondarily it increases his trade values or interest since he is a RFA this year..

the thread is afterall is marshall buying in.. not is eddie making mistakes..

The part of your post I quoted was germane to my post.

As you have now 'twice' made a point of indicating that I was somehow wrong to mention any player other than Marshall in this thread, I look forward to no longer seeing you derail threads with Shanahan and Cutler bashes when they have nothing to do with the thread title.

:beer: Here's to finally having on-topic discussions. ;)

TXBRONC
09-24-2009, 08:32 PM

Really? Welker has back to back seasons of 100 plus receptions. Randy Moss missed by only two catches in back in 2007. So yeah with the right quarterback yes he could.