PDA

View Full Version : Bell Unlikely to be traded

Calibroncogrl47
09-03-2007, 09:21 AM
A few teams uncomfortable with their tailback depth placed calls to the Broncos this weekend.

These teams noticed how the Broncos have moved Mike Bell to fullback. In 21st-century football, tailbacks carry the ball while fullbacks generally do not. Bell rushed for eight touchdowns and a 4.3 yard-per-carry average as a rookie backup last season.

Other teams wondered: Would the Broncos be interested in trading Bell?

Not likely. The Broncos want Bell to rotate with Cecil Sapp at fullback with the No. 1 offense. And they also want Bell as tailback protection.

"You get people that go down and the halfback's got to play the fullback position," coach Mike Shanahan said after the preseason game

Thursday against Arizona. "We've seen that happen here with a number of players - Reuben Droughns to name one. Mike Anderson could play both."
For now, the Broncos are pleased with their tailback depth with Travis Henry as the starter, rookie Selvin Young as the backup and Andre Hall, who spent his rookie season last year on the Broncos' practice squad, as the No. 3 runner.

But the next NFL carry for both Young and Hall will be their first. Bell had 157 carries last year for 677 yards.

More than any other position, Broncos tailbacks are subject to produce-this-week-or-else pressure. Young and Hall are hot now, but with patience Bell may have a better chance to get a decent number of carries with the Broncos this year than he would by starting over with a new team.

Practice squad
As expected, the Broncos re-signed No. 3 quarterback Darrell Hackney and seven others to their practice squad Sunday. Hackney showed enough arm strength and mobility during the preseason for the Broncos to invest more coaching in him. Hackney completed 10-of-22 passes for 113 yards in the preseason.

Also signed to the practice squad were center Greg Eslinger, former University of Colorado lineman Mark Fenton, defensive tackle Stephen Harris, receiver Glenn Martinez, tackle Cliff Washburn and safeties Steve Cargile and Roderick Rogers.

Bloom available
Former CU receiver Jeremy Bloom went unclaimed Sunday after he was cut by Philadelphia.

Retired_Member_001
09-03-2007, 10:04 AM
If we play Mike Bell at fullback I will vomit continuously untill the end of our last game.

I'd rather release him than play him at fullback. I'd like to have him as #2 or #3 runningback but not at fullback.

Dean
09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
As I understand the situation there are five conditional offers on the table for Bell. If he stays a Bronco he will be a FB/emergency RB like Mike Anderson. Shanahan is giving him the choice of staying or picking where he wants to go.

BroncoWave
09-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Shanny with the poker face!

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/84/51/22975184.jpg

In all seriousness though, I would be disappointed if we traded Bell. It would be nice if we had an extra draft pick... but I'm sure it'll be pathetic (5th rd) and not worth it IMO.

Well seeing as he was undrafted and he likely won't play much this season anyway, a 5th round pick for him wouldn't be that bad. I like our RB/FB depth even w/o Bell.

RunYouOver
09-03-2007, 05:06 PM

In all seriousness though, I would be disappointed if we traded Bell. It would be nice if we had an extra draft pick... but I'm sure it'll be pathetic (5th rd) and not worth it IMO.

A 5th round pick would be better than the pick we used to get him...which was no pick at all.

We have a plethora of running backs, and I wouldn't mind seeing him traded.

I like him...but I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

aberdien
09-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd take the draft pick.

I don't see how he is big enough to play FB anyways.

RunYouOver
09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
We do have a logjam at RB but 5th round? Ugh. I'm a big believer in drafting well but how many of those second day guys even make the team? Not just Denver, all over the league?

A veteran DT I wouldn't mind as much, but a second day pick like that? No thanks.

Some notable recent, 5th round picks:

2006: Mark Anderson, DE, Chicago
2005: Trent Cole, DE Philly
2004: Michael Turner, RB, San Diego
2003: Robert Mathis, DE, Indy

While there's not tons of talent...there is talent available in the fifth round....

Krugan
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
So with the signing of Rice, does this maybe lean towards Bell being closer to the shelf?

Lonestar
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
I was thinking that the move to FB was more for his development.

After RD was there he said it helped him to understand the blocking scheme and the play development.

You all saw how it raised his level of play. Could be they were thinking the same thing for him and Sapp.

Simple Jaded
09-03-2007, 05:45 PM
As I understand the situation there are five conditional offers on the table for Bell. If he stays a Bronco he will be a FB/emergency RB like Mike Anderson. Shanahan is giving him the choice of staying or picking where he wants to go.

Thanks for the info, Dean, that gives it perspective....If he's traded it's because he wanted to go.

ChampWJ
09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
We do need a roster spot now to make room for Rice.

DenBronx
09-03-2007, 05:55 PM
This was posted earlier today. I'm pretty sure the Packers are out of the running since they just traded away a draft pick for a runningback yesterday. I wonder if this is a legit deal with the Jets?

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/118879372962660.xml&coll=1

The dream lives on for rookie free-agent cornerback Manny Collins.

The former Rutgers and Plainfield High player was named to the Jets' practice squad yesterday, according to someone who is in regular contact with Jets officials. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Jets haven't released the members of their five-player squad.

Rookie free-agent running back Danny Ware and rookie free-agent guard Robert Turner were also named to the squad.

Collins, a late signee, caught the Jets' attention from the outset and kept it with his air-tight coverage and competitiveness. He also showed up big on special teams.

The release of Ware was a major surprise, but the Jets quickly brought him back. Turner has been quietly making his mark. The team has two more slots to fill.

Note: Former Jets DE Kimo von Oelfhoffen signed a one-year contract with the Eagles. ... The Jets are rumored to be interested in Broncos RB Mike Bell. ... Veteran TE Sean Ryan might be on the trading block. ... The Jets continue to eye the veteran left-guard market.

-- Dave Hutchinson

TXBRONC
09-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I like Mike Bell and if we keep him I know that's makes us very deep and solid behind Henry. However, if the Jets rumor proves to be true I wouldn't fault Denver for trading him. It would give him a chance to carry the ball something he's not going to get much opportunity to do now that he's behind Henry and Young.

Simple Jaded
09-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Their RB's are jinxed....

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Bloom available
Former CU receiver Jeremy Bloom went unclaimed Sunday after he was cut by Philadelphia.

Bring him in. :beer:

DenBronx
09-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I like Mike Bell and if we keep him I know that's makes us very deep and solid behind Henry. However, if the Jets rumor proves to be true I wouldn't fault Denver for trading him. It would give him a chance to carry the ball something he's not going to get much opportunity to do now that he's behind Henry and Young.

I wouldnt put it past Shanny to do this. He always churns out mediocre backs into gold. As of right now it looks like Henry will be the real deal for us for at least another 4 years. So if were in a situation were we have solid competition at RB then why not get paid while you can?

A 5th would be great. Next years draft is pretty deep at DT and this would be good bait to even trade up if we need to.

TXBRONC
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I wouldnt put it past Shanny to do this. He always churns out mediocre backs into gold. As of right now it looks like Henry will be the real deal for us for at least another 4 years. So if were in a situation were we have solid competition at RB then why not get paid while you can?

A 5th would be great. Next years draft is pretty deep at DT and this would be good bait to even trade up if we need to.

Now that we have apparently signed Rice someone from the roster has to be removed one way or the other.

Simple Jaded
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Now that we have apparently signed Rice someone from the roster has to be removed one way or the other.

My guess is this Wesley Mallard will go unless something happens on the Mike Bell front.

Mallard could be brought back at any time, I would think.

Maybe Ryan Harris gets put on the PUP?.......

broncosfanscott
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM

I feel the same way.............he is nice to have behind Henry.

rcsodak
09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Some notable recent, 5th round picks:

2006: Mark Anderson, DE, Chicago
2005: Trent Cole, DE Philly
2004: Michael Turner, RB, San Diego
2003: Robert Mathis, DE, Indy

While there's not tons of talent...there is talent available in the fifth round....

I'd hate to see how the odds work out on that, for denver to actually pick a keeper..... :confused:

Lonestar
09-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd hate to see how the odds work out on that, for denver to actually pick a keeper..... :confused:

actually in years past up to about 2005 the only keepers were on the second days draft if you throw the LB out of the equation.

Lots of mikeys 5th round DAFT choices did better than the 1-3's!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

BANJOPICKER1
09-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I just cant come up with a reason to get rid of Bell,he has not done anything wrong and seemed to play hard last year.Seems to often we punish our players for doing well,Mike Anderson is a prime example...

I hope we keep bell,I think he can only get better..