PDA

View Full Version : DEN/CLE Post game thoughts on Orton...........

WARHORSE
09-23-2009, 02:54 AM
A quote from Shannon Sharpe during the Cleveland game: "Im watchin the Broncos offense from up here (Press booth), and I dont see anyone getting open. Everybody is booing Kyle Orton but hes got no one to throw to........"

Right before a nice 15 yard completion to Marshall.

OFFENSE:

The Broncos’ offense is the only one in the NFL to not commit a turnover this season.
QB Kyle Orton (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9777) is 5-1 in his last six starts dating back to last year — Only the Colts’ Peyton Manning (6-0) has a better record among NFL starting QBs during that time. This season, Orton has thrown the second-most 25-yard completions (7) in the NFL and is the only AFC quarterback with at least 50 pass attempts and no interceptions.
RB Correll Buckhalter (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9691) is averaging 7.2 yards per rush (17-122, 1 TD) in two starts this year. Since 2007, he owns the NFL’s third-best yards per rush average (5.2, 155-804, 7 TDs).
Kyle threw a number of balls away during the game sunday, and when you take them into account, his passer rating really has no bearing. Not to mention catchable drops.

Everyone remembers the sack he took at Cincy when he took us out of field goal range.............well, be thankful. There were a number of throws that we were in the redzone, and he made sure we stayed in scoring position under pressure. He threw the ball away.

People booed.

Going back over the game, I really dont have anything to say other than great job.

Could he have thrown a couple of passes better? Yes.

Was there problems between him and the WRs in communication on the field? Yes.

But he took care of the rock.

Other than the Hillis fumble.............Orton and company have not given any free chances to the opposing offenses in order to give them hope, momentum, or field position.

When you do that.................you win.:coffee:

Great job Kyle.:beer:

Heres five dollars................get a hairstyle.

SoCalImport
09-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Having been unable to watch either game, all i have is the stat-line and what folk are saying in the forums to go on.
That being said it sure seems like K.Orton is doing a bang up job of "game management". He's not winning anything on his own, but He's doing a great job of not making any backbreaking mistakes while keeping us in a position to win games.

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

I think His play will just keep getting better as the run game comes into its own.

That, and I'm just SO impressed with the Defense.

GO BRONCOS!!

Dirk
09-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice post War.

I too am impressed with the Defense and I am impressed with how well Orton is "managing" the offense. I am still willing to give him a few games this season to fubar simply because it is all new and timing and such takes time. But he isn't doing bad at this point!

Also...I don't care if he has a Skullet as long as he manages the games! :coffee:

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
A quote from Shannon Sharpe during the Cleveland game: "Im watchin the Broncos offense from up here (Press booth), and I dont see anyone getting open. Everybody is booing Kyle Orton but hes got no one to throw to........"

Right before a nice 15 yard completion to Marshall.

OFFENSE:

The Broncos’ offense is the only one in the NFL to not commit a turnover this season.
QB Kyle Orton (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9777) is 5-1 in his last six starts dating back to last year — Only the Colts’ Peyton Manning (6-0) has a better record among NFL starting QBs during that time. This season, Orton has thrown the second-most 25-yard completions (7) in the NFL and is the only AFC quarterback with at least 50 pass attempts and no interceptions.
RB Correll Buckhalter (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9691) is averaging 7.2 yards per rush (17-122, 1 TD) in two starts this year. Since 2007, he owns the NFL’s third-best yards per rush average (5.2, 155-804, 7 TDs).
Kyle threw a number of balls away during the game sunday, and when you take them into account, his passer rating really has no bearing. Not to mention catchable drops.

Everyone remembers the sack he took at Cincy when he took us out of field goal range.............well, be thankful. There were a number of throws that we were in the redzone, and he made sure we stayed in scoring position under pressure. He threw the ball away.

People booed.

Going back over the game, I really dont have anything to say other than great job.

Could he have thrown a couple of passes better? Yes.

Was there problems between him and the WRs in communication on the field? Yes.

But he took care of the rock.

Other than the Hillis fumble.............Orton and company have not given any free chances to the opposing offenses in order to give them hope, momentum, or field position.

When you do that.................you win.:coffee:

Great job Kyle.:beer:

great post except i dont think a $5 haircut is considered "style".....:laugh:

outdoor_miner
09-23-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't care what anyone says, Orton had a good game on Sunday. Much much much better than against Cinci, where he was pretty bad - in my opinion. It was clear that at least 5 (probably even more) of the incompletions were due to miscommunication with his receivers. Whether that is to blame on Orton or the WRs, one thing is good about it... It can be fixed! This is a new offense, and it's going to take everyone time to get on the exact same page. However, I thought Orton's passes were crisp (he showed some good zip on a handful of throws) accurate, and safe (I don't remember any balls that really even had a chance of being picked).

If he keeps improving week to week, the Broncos offense will be pretty tough to stop by the middle of the season.

honz
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
As "bad" as our offense has been, we are averaging 19.5 points per game compared to 23.1 last year...and I suspect that will go up as our O gets more in sync. I know everybody think our O was uber explosive last year, and it definitely was better overall compared to what we've seen this year, but I don't think we've had that big of a dropoff really. Were we more explosive last year? Yes, but we also shot ourselves in the foot far too much. If we can continue to limit the turnovers and just keep steadily improving our execution and communication on offense, I think that we actually improve upon our 23 PPG from last season.

Kaylore
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Failed to mention his third down conversion percentage (53%) and many were on third and long. Those are clutch stats.

shank
09-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Failed to mention his third down conversion percentage (53%) and many were on third and long. Those are clutch stats.

that percentage will probably continue to rise as the communication errors get ironed out and (hopefully) the drops decrease.

WARHORSE
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
great post except i dont think a $5 haircut is considered "style".....:laugh:

A bowl cut is a style.........:coffee:

He could be a trend setter.

I better stop here though, the thread is flowing nicely on topic for the most part.......................

WARHORSE
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
As "bad" as our offense has been, we are averaging 19.5 points per game compared to 23.1 last year...and I suspect that will go up as our O gets more in sync. I know everybody think our O was uber explosive last year, and it definitely was better overall compared to what we've seen this year, but I don't think we've had that big of a dropoff really. Were we more explosive last year? Yes, but we also shot ourselves in the foot far too much. If we can continue to limit the turnovers and just keep steadily improving our execution and communication on offense, I think that we actually improve upon our 23 PPG from last season.

Exactly.

We got up and down the field pretty easily last year, and that cause people are going to try and keep Cutlers arm in front of them. That leads to alot of yardage given up between the 20s.

But when it comes to the redzone, thats where the offense struggled, mostly imo due to injured RBs, and Cutler forcing.

Look at this year, and are we down in redzone opportunities?

Not when you dont turn the ball over.

ChairmanBron
09-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Great post warhorse.

But he's following the the tradition of the past two quarterbacks with great unique hairstyles... But gladly not following those two by taking car of the rock instead!

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 04:06 PM
check out the company he keeps....stylin'http://archives.chicagotribune.com/archive/multidata/2008/09/05/story/altthumbnail/42181389-06042732.jpg

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season.

Pose a Broncos- or NFL-related question for the Broncos Mailbag.

All I can see is that Kyle Orton wins games whether anybody believes it or not. Just look at his record. I am a Bears fan. Kyle has been on some Bears teams without much offensive talent. And if the Bears defense hadn't given away a couple of games last year and made the playoffs, you or somebody else would have Jay Cutler.
-- John Poncher, Valparaiso, Ind.

Did you realize Tom Brady, who operates the same offense in New England as Orton does in Denver, ranks 26th in the NFL with a mere 5.94 yards per pass attempt, while Orton is eighth at 7.79 yards? Cutler, by the way, is 17th at 6.93 per pass attempt.

As for Orton's record, which is now 23-12 overall, he was 9-6 last year and he should have been 10-5 after he threw a go-ahead TD pass with 11 seconds remaining to give the Bears a 20-19 lead against Atlanta. But one poor squib kick, one long pass completion by Matt Ryan, and one long field goal by Jason Elam as time expired wound up costing the Bears a playoff spot and eventually led them into the Cutler sweepstakes.

Cutler is good but I don't think he and a draft pick that turned out to be Jonny Knox are good enough to offset a decent Orton, and draft picks that turned out to be Robert Ayers, Richard Quinn and a first-rounder in 2010.

frenchfan
09-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Go Kyle !
He's doing a really decent job for now and I hope he will go on to improve and "manage" games... He didn't play well against Bengals, but had a good game vs Browns... He is learning and improving...

I'm a bit fed up with "system" QB bashing... Indeed, in NFL history, there aren't many QB who could play well in any system (Elway, Peyton Manning... older QB, I don't know because I haven't seen them playing).... Some QB are made to play some systems and they excel at it (Montana, Brady)... And there is nothing wrong with that... That doesn't mean they are not as good as other QB... Just different... After all, what really matters is winning, not the ability to play every system...

We'll be less explosive... less stellar for sure... but may be not worst than last year ;) ... But only time will tell... I keep my fingers crossed :D

Same about our D... really impressive so far but a bit early to put the champagne on ice :D

Anyway, I think McD is doing a good job for now... much more than many people were expecting...

Go Broncos... :defense:

Dman444
09-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I've liked our improvements from the preseason up into week two. It seems like every week we are getting a little better, just look at Orton in the first preseason game compared to now. I really just hope people stop booing him, it's ridiculous and completely unnecessary, fans don't know whether a receiver rana wrong route or the timing was, either way it's absurd.

We still have a lot of work to do if we want to even be considered a good team. Up until the fourth quarter we only put 13 pts. upon the Browns, that is totally unacceptable. Against 25 other teams in this league we would have been trailing going into the fourth quarter.

One thing I really would like to see more of is two back sets with Hillis in the game and running the ZBS. With Hillis in we have a lot more options out of the backfield and I think our running game will improve even more. We can't rely on Orton to win us games, but from the looks of it he will not lose them either. If our D holds stout and our running game keeps getting better than we're going to be a legit team, if not this year then next year for sure.