PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Will Get Time To Shine

Skinny
12-06-2007, 12:48 PM
By Brian Howell Longmont Times-Call
12/607

ENGLEWOOD — Marcus Thomas figures to get a little more playing time in the final four games of the season.

With the Denver Broncos waiving Sam Adams, a 14-year veteran defensive tackle, on Tuesday, it may Thomas, a 22-year-old rookie from the University of Florida, who benefits most.

“From the looks of it, it does,” Thomas said.

Adams was a starter at left defensive tackle in his first season with the Broncos, but didn’t perform as well as the team had hoped. Although defensive coordinator Jim Bates’ scheme is suited for large linemen, the 350-pound Adams had just 17 tackles in 12 games. He hadn’t registered more than one tackle in a game in three weeks.

Still, seeing a veteran such as Adams, the eighth overall selection in 1994 NFL Draft, caught Thomas off guard.

“I was shocked,” Thomas said. “I didn’t really know what was going on. I know I didn’t play a good game (Sunday in Oakland). Whatever coaches’ decision is, you’ve just got to work through it. It’s a blessing I’m still here. I’m just going to do the best that I can.”

Thomas is Denver’s biggest remaining defensive tackle, at 6-foot-3, 315 pounds, and he’s played well when he’s been given an opportunity. His 21 tackles are tied with Alvin McKinley for the most on the team at his position.

“I’m getting a lot of experience,” Thomas said. “I didn’t do as well as I think I could’ve done (to this point), but I’m just getting better as the games go on.”

The Broncos drafted Thomas in the fourth round of the April draft, but may have got him at a bargain price. Experts said Thomas had the skills of a first-round pick, but concerns of his off-the-field habits came into question. He was suspended twice at Florida for testing positive for marijuana and played in only five games for the Gators last year. He was eventually dismissed from the team and didn’t get to play in Florida’s national championship game win over Ohio State.

As a fourth-round selection, Thomas said he didn’t expect much out of this year.

“I’ve played a lot more than I thought I would, which is good because I’ve got the experience now and I’m a lot more comfortable out there,” he said.

With Adams now out of the picture, Thomas is hoping to prove to his coaches he can play well at this level.

“Just basically keep getting better as the season goes on and try to do something good and hope it carries on to next year,” he said of his goal for the final four games.

Thomas figures to battle Josh Mallard and Kenny Peterson for a starting spot, alongside McKinley.

“We’re going to look at a couple of young guys and see how they fit in this week,” Bates said. “We’re moving some guys around, but we’ll keep our rotation going. Kenny has played well the last couple of weeks. We’ll just get the rotation going with Alvin and Marcus and see who the fourth tackle will be this week.

“We want to look at some young guys that maybe can upgrade us and help us win the next four weeks. It’s nothing against Sam; Sam gave it all he had. We just felt it was best to go in another direction.”

Thomas isn’t the only Florida Gator to benefit from Adams’ dismissal. Steven Harris, a rookie free agent, was signed off the practice squad to take Adams’ roster spot.

HEALTHY BACKS: In recent weeks, the Broncos have dealt with a lot of injuries to their running backs. This week, however, the team expects all three to be in uniform.

Travis Henry avoided a suspension from the NFL said said his injured knee is good enough to play. Selvin Young (elbow) practiced Wednesday, as well, as did Andre Hall (ankle). Together, that trio has rushed for 1,248 yards while averaging 4.7 yards per carry.

Although none of them are 100-percent healthy, they’re all able to help the team.

“I’m going to give it my all,” Hall said. “Cutting and all that stuff, it’s going to get done. Whether it hurts or not, it’s going to get done. I’ve got to (play with the pain). I feel my guys can use me out there, so I’m going to go.”

STOKLEY RESTS: Receiver Brandon Stokley injured his left knee in Sunday’s loss to the Raiders, and he sat out Wednesday’s practice.

“Right now, it’s kind of hard to tell until I try to go out there and run on it and see how it does,” Stokley said. “We still have a little while to go. If there’s any way possible, I’m going to play. There’s no doubt about that.”

Stokley, who has made a career-high eight starts this season, and had a season-high 102 yards in receptions Sunday, said he didn’t even try to run Wednesday. He’s hoping to try running today.

Aside from Stokley, the only other player who did not participate in Wednesday’s practice was safety Nick Ferguson (knee).

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?ID=5057

dogfish
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
thanks for posting the article skinny. . . . :2thumbs:

i've been pretty pleased with thomas' play so far, after a year off and playing one of the toughest positions for rookies to adjust to in the NFL. . . he certainly hasn't been great, but i think he's held his own as well as if not better than most of our veteran DTs. . . i feel like i've seen the skills he was reported to have, and the potential is there if he continues to work hard and develop. . . seems to me that he's leveled off a bit the past week or two, and that may be the infamous rookie wall (particularly likely for a guy who didn't really play at all last year). . . still, i hope that we keep him in the fire and get him as much experience as we can down the stretch, even if the play at the position suffers a bit for it-- it can only help us in the long run. . . i expect him to be a solid starter for us next year, and maybe hopefully more than that in the years to come. . .

one thing that struck me about the article:

“We want to look at some young guys that maybe can upgrade us and help us win the next four weeks. It’s nothing against Sam; Sam gave it all he had. We just felt it was best to go in another direction.”

a lot of people have really killed bates this year, but i like the fact that he won't throw one of his guys under the bus. . . i love the defense they've put together up in green bay, where they're still running his scheme and relying heavily on players like cullen jenkins, nick barnett and cory williams-- all guys that he had a hand in either acquiring or developing, or both. . . i believe that he was a factor in our decision to go after thomas, and i hope he can influence shanahan to invest heavily in the front seven this offseason-- we all know we need at least one more DT and an upgrade in the LB corps, but people may be surprised at the improvement up front next year as our rooks from this season start to come into their own. . . i personally still have a ton of confidence in bates, and i'm looking forward to seeing how people's attitudes change if the D really comes together next year. . . .

gobroncsnv
12-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Kinda had to laugh at the line where it says Thomas will have to battle it out against Mallard. I just don't think Josh has the size for ANY team's template for DT, let alone what Bates is looking for. I like that he has a good motor, but just don't think he's got the buns to hang in the middle of the front four. Would like to see what Thomas can do with another year under his belt, and another 20 pounds over his belt. (I know, I know, we want it to be muscle...)

TXBRONC
12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
thanks for posting the article skinny. . . . :2thumbs:

i've been pretty pleased with thomas' play so far, after a year off and playing one of the toughest positions for rookies to adjust to in the NFL. . . he certainly hasn't been great, but i think he's held his own as well as if not better than most of our veteran DTs. . . i feel like i've seen the skills he was reported to have, and the potential is there if he continues to work hard and develop. . . seems to me that he's leveled off a bit the past week or two, and that may be the infamous rookie wall (particularly likely for a guy who didn't really play at all last year). . . still, i hope that we keep him in the fire and get him as much experience as we can down the stretch, even if the play at the position suffers a bit for it-- it can only help us in the long run. . . i expect him to be a solid starter for us next year, and maybe hopefully more than that in the years to come. . .

one thing that struck me about the article:

a lot of people have really killed bates this year, but i like the fact that he won't throw one of his guys under the bus. . . i love the defense they've put together up in green bay, where they're still running his scheme and relying heavily on players like cullen jenkins, nick barnett and cory williams-- all guys that he had a hand in either acquiring or developing, or both. . . i believe that he was a factor in our decision to go after thomas, and i hope he can influence shanahan to invest heavily in the front seven this offseason-- we all know we need at least one more DT and an upgrade in the LB corps, but people may be surprised at the improvement up front next year as our rooks from this season start to come into their own. . . i personally still have a ton of confidence in bates, and i'm looking forward to seeing how people's attitudes change if the D really comes together next year. . . .

I have confidence in Bates' and hopefully those players that will get to stick around will be better next season.

Lonestar
12-07-2007, 12:26 AM
with Sam's release there is indeed gonna be more playing time for Thomas..

He is an up and coming force in the league and got alot more playing time than I thought he would with Sam Kennedy and warren on the team when the year started..