PDA

View Full Version : OK, don't magnify 2-0 start

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13390125

The prince of self-confidence was preaching caution Monday, which tells you a little bit about the fine line he is walking.

Josh McDaniels clearly believes in his program and wants his players to believe in it too. With his team at 2-0, he has more evidence to support that belief than he did two weeks ago.

On the other hand, he does not want to fuel crazy expectations among fans — not to mention overconfidence among players — based on a soft early schedule.

So the new Broncos coach tried not so gently to tamp down expectations Monday, presumably so fans won't be disillusioned when the schedule turns.

"We've still got a long way to go and a lot of things to improve on," he said. "I mean, we've played two games. That's really it. We've done some good things. We've also made some mistakes that we need to fix.

"There's a learning curve, certainly. We did not play a game (Sunday) where we didn't make a bunch of mistakes. We did. Fortunately, we got away with some of them, and we've got to work hard this week to fix them."

Head-scratching double negatives aside, there is ample precedent for this caution. Just last year, the Broncos were 2-0 after two weeks and leading the AFC West, as they are now. In fact, they also were 3-0 and 4-1. By the end, after blowing a three-game division lead with three to play, it was Mike Shanahan's swan song.

Then there was 2006, when the Broncos seemed to set a franchise mark for scoring defense every week. During an early five-game winning streak, they did not surrender more than seven points in a game. By the end, after surrendering 35 and 48 to the Chargers, defensive coordinator Larry Coyer was fired.

"Nobody can crown us anything right now," Vonnie Holliday said. "We're just 2-0. As veteran guys in the locker room, it's up to us to tell guys that. If you want that respect, you play with a chip on your shoulder and you play every week, and then when you get to December, you see where you are."

What the Broncos have accomplished so far is more than many expected. And McDaniels is proud enough to offer some detail on the game plans that surrendered a combined 13 points to Cincinnati and Cleveland.

For example, he described how they decided to attack the right side of the Browns' offensive line. Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who normally lines up on the other side, got three of his four sacks over there, against right tackle John St. Clair. This new defensive unpredictability has the Broncos leading the league in scoring defense after two weeks.

The offense so far is a lot like Shanahan's last Broncos offense — long on yardage and short on points. But equivalence is more than many expected after exchanging Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton.

So there has been a lot to like about their first two weeks, but the danger of overestimating it is obvious: They did it against Cincinnati and Cleveland. Neither was any good last year, and not much is expected from either this year. The same, by the way, is true of Oakland, the Broncos' opponent this week. After that, the schedule turns rather sharply.

During the later Shanahan years, the Broncos beat certain opponents early in the season with packages and schemes they hadn't seen on tape. Later in the season, with his most recent inventions in circulation around the league, Shanahan had a harder time scheming his way to victory.

For all of his housecleaning in Shanahan's wake, McDaniels sometimes comes off as the Mastermind II, full of confidence in his innovative strategies and game plans, needing only players willing to execute them precisely. Once a number of those game plans are on tape and available for study, opponents can be expected to make adjustments.

By winning their first two games, the Broncos established a provisional credibility that didn't exist after their three-ring offseason. They have not been terrible, which was one of the options on the table.

But they still are a team with a new coaching staff implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball with a lot of new players. Against better teams than they've played so far, they still have a lot to prove.

After next week, they will play successive games against Dallas, New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Managing expectations would seem advisable.

Tempus Fugit
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
As I've noted elsewhere here, this team could win next week and still end up at 3-8 heading into the K.C. matchup, and it wouldn't be the fault of anything but the schedule. Oakland's coming up, but then it's:

Dallas
New England
@San Diego
@Baltimore
Pittsburgh
@Washington
San Diego
NYG

The Broncos could lose every one of those games without it having to do with bad coaching, poor quarterback play, or anything else besides facing (at least arguably, if not clearly) superior teams.

Superchop 7
09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Yep, it's coming......

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I have my ORANGE colored glasses on, and feel the Broncos will win more games this year than most expect. I prefer to wait and see, rather than just writing them off.

FanInAZ
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
New England, San Diego and Washington have not impressed me. I'm not guaranteeing wins in those game, but I think we should at the very least be hovering around .500 by the time we play Kansas City.

Mike
09-22-2009, 01:54 PM
As I've noted elsewhere here, this team could win next week and still end up at 3-8 heading into the K.C. matchup, and it wouldn't be the fault of anything but the schedule. Oakland's coming up, but then it's:

Dallas
New England
@San Diego
@Baltimore
Pittsburgh
@Washington
San Diego
NYG

The Broncos could lose every one of those games without it having to do with bad coaching, poor quarterback play, or anything else besides facing (at least arguably, if not clearly) superior teams.

I thought that way too, but outside of Baltimore and NYG, none of those teams are playing superior football. I think Denver at least splits those 8 games.

OldschoolFreak
09-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I thought that way too, but outside of Baltimore and NYG, none of those teams are playing superior football. I think Denver at least splits those 8 games.

A split would be a huge win for the team--probably unlikely if you ask me.

But can we win maybe 2 or 3 of them rather than simply bowing to the inevitable defeat like many in the media seem to think we'll do? Feels like a decent possibility to me.

Tempus Fugit
09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

While I think you're wrong about the split, there is a report that Barber might be out 1-2 weeks:

NBC 5 and Blue-Star's own Newy Scruggs has reported that Marion Barber, who went down in the fourth quarter of Sunday night's loss to the Giants, will miss one to two weeks with a quadriceps injury.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Barber-Out-1-2-Weeks-With-Injured-Quad-60291942.html

If the Broncos get 'lucky', he'll need both games to recover, and that would certainly hurt the Cowboys running game, which would be a nice boost for Denver. The Cowboys have other good running backs, but Barber is the best they've got.

Still, I think Denver fans need to accept the likelihood of a rough stretch of games coming up. Unfortunately, they'll probably act the same way that most fan bases do, and completely ignore the opponents and other circumstances as they complain about losses.

honz
09-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Dallas
New England
@San Diego
@Baltimore
Pittsburgh
@Washington
San Diego
NYG

All those teams are likely shaking in their boots about facing the vaunted Broncos. :orangecoloredglasses:

WARHORSE
09-22-2009, 02:49 PM
The vaunted Vikings defense let Jamal run to the tune of 5.5 ypc.

AND they gave up 20 pts to the Cleveland Juggernaut.

AND Josh Cribbs lit it up on em both in KRs and PRs, taking one punt 60+ to the house.

AND Cincy put up 30+ on GB, and Ced B went for 141 on em............

is it fair to compair?

Its only two games in, but I think its ok to be enthused about what we've seen so far.

Besides.............We're not afraid of the schedule, nor anyone on it.............we can only run head first into it no matter what........we may as well dish out some pain.

claymore
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
I have my ORANGE colored glasses on, and feel the Broncos will win more games this year than most expect. I prefer to wait and see, rather than just writing them off.

No excuses. Playoffs or bust.

claymore
09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
All those teams are likely shaking in their boots about facing the vaunted Broncos. :orangecoloredglasses:

LMFAO! Hell yeah! :woot:

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM

I hope you're right Carol. I have us at 7 or 8 wins. I hope I'm being conservative.

CoachChaz
09-22-2009, 03:10 PM
While I think you're wrong about the split, there is a report that Barber might be out 1-2 weeks:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Barber-Out-1-2-Weeks-With-Injured-Quad-60291942.html

If the Broncos get 'lucky', he'll need both games to recover, and that would certainly hurt the Cowboys running game, which would be a nice boost for Denver. The Cowboys have other good running backs, but Barber is the best they've got.

Still, I think Denver fans need to accept the likelihood of a rough stretch of games coming up. Unfortunately, they'll probably act the same way that most fan bases do, and completely ignore the opponents and other circumstances as they complain about losses.

Barber scares me inside the 20. Jones and Choice can flat out fly all over the field.

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Orton will make jerry jones wish he had traded Romo to chicago !!!!!!!
or not.....:D

Tempus Fugit
09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Orton will make jerry jones wish he had traded Romo to chicago !!!!!!!
or not.....:D

Romo's been doing a pretty good job of that all on his own.

nevcraw
09-22-2009, 08:12 PM
The article is valid but it should be noted that there is no reason to assume the broncos themselves will not be able to learn other teams tendacies and also adjust. and there is also no evidence that the broncos cannot also improve while learning the nuances of the 2 new schemes they are running..

MCD id not the only one who can use double negatives....

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
The article is valid but it should be noted that there is no reason to assume the broncos themselves will not be able to learn other teams tendacies and also adjust. and there is also no evidence that the broncos cannot also improve while learning the nuances of the 2 new schemes they are running..

eggs....actly !:salute:

gobroncsnv
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, you could either say that we had the luxury of 2 extra "exhibition games", or you could say that we did better against our first 2 opponents than the other teams they played. I personally like looking at it that way.

DISCLAIMER: In no way can you find the letters p-l-a-y-o-f-f-s consecutively strung together in the above paragraph. I'm just saying I like what I am seeing so far, especially from our D. Offense could use some work, but it certainly improved from the previous week. Again, needs some work, but I like improvement better than going downhill. We'll see what next week brings.

skycoyote
09-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Bronco teams of the past always start out "hot" and fade towards the end. If McDaniels can change that I'd say where "stylin."

Rick
09-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Dallas
New England
@San Diego
@Baltimore
Pittsburgh
@Washington
San Diego
NYG

From what I have seen so far this season NE, SD, Pitt, Wash, and again SD are all games we could possibly win.

Pitt might be a better team....but thier offense hasn't really clicked any better than ours and if its kept to a defensive battle its any ones game.

Like wise washing tons offense hasn't been great.

SD is hurting bad and frankly...I feel thier best strength is the passing game...and with the pass rush we have and quality of Dbacks that is our biggest strength.

NE barely beat Buffalo and got pretty much shut down by the Jets D. Another possible defensive struggle.

MasterShake
09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Whatever, we are 2-0 and I'm happy. If you can't look too much into a 2-0 start, then we shouldn't freak out about an 0-2 start, right? WRONG! I'm not gonna over-think or overestimate anything, but I'm not going to dismiss or underestimate it either. A lot of experts said we were dead in the water, but instead we are leaving bodies in our wake!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

gobroncsnv
09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Whatever, we are 2-0 and I'm happy. If you can't look too much into a 2-0 start, then we shouldn't freak out about an 0-2 start, right?

Well put... If folks are gonna grouse about a non-legit 2-0, how much MORE fun would be had if we were 0-2. Too true, Shakes.

Lonestar
09-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Well, you could either say that we had the luxury of 2 extra "exhibition games", or you could say that we did better against our first 2 opponents than the other teams they played. I personally like looking at it that way.

DISCLAIMER: In no way can you find the letters p-l-a-y-o-f-f-s consecutively strung together in the above paragraph. I'm just saying I like what I am seeing so far, especially from our D. Offense could use some work, but it certainly improved from the previous week. Again, needs some work, but I like improvement better than going downhill. We'll see what next week brings.

I see it as a work in progress for this season.. with new wrinkles added each week and adjustments made to the "playbook" to reflect the weaknesses and strengths of the upcoming team..

so some game we may pound the ball and others we may be pass "happy" with few running plays mixed in..

more or less blitzes depending on the teams ability to pick them up..

it may take the players 10-12 games before they "get" it.. and only then be comfortable in making plays with out "thinking" about how it folds out..

Lonestar
09-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Bronco teams of the past always start out "hot" and fade towards the end. If McDaniels can change that I'd say where "stylin."

I think alot of that was because of the "finesse" and smallish stature of the team..

we snuck some new plays in during the summer that no one figured out until 4-6 games in.. and then towards the end of the year the smaller players were much smaller and less likely to be able to handle the grind of 16 games..

anyway that is how I see it..

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 12:30 AM
If we can force the mighty caboy's and the mighty patsies to bow down to our greatness, We will have parties in the end zone, be happy and make fun of lesser teams.

We have to go light up the black hole on Sunday first. :D

Do I think playoffs? No I'm not delusional but I'm enjoying being 2-0 right now.

:elefant:

Davii
09-23-2009, 12:35 AM
If we can force the mighty caboy's and the mighty patsies to bow down to our greatness, We will have parties in the end zone, be happy and make fun of lesser teams.

We have to go light up the black hole on Sunday first. :D

Do I think playoffs? No I'm not delusional but I'm enjoying being 2-0 right now.

:elefant:

In this division playoffs are possible. Not probable, but possible.

WARHORSE
09-23-2009, 02:59 AM
From what I have seen so far this season NE, SD, Pitt, Wash, and again SD are all games we could possibly win.

Pitt might be a better team....but thier offense hasn't really clicked any better than ours and if its kept to a defensive battle its any ones game.

Like wise washing tons offense hasn't been great.

SD is hurting bad and frankly...I feel thier best strength is the passing game...and with the pass rush we have and quality of Dbacks that is our biggest strength.

NE barely beat Buffalo and got pretty much shut down by the Jets D. Another possible defensive struggle.

I agree.

WARHORSE
09-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Let focuh on da Raduhs fuhst.

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Let focuh on da Raduhs fuhst.

if we go 14-2 and the 2 losses are to the raiders i will still want to throw up !
so....yes lets pound on the raiders and take their lunch money first and the rest will be gravy ! (whats with all the food references ?i must be hungry)

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
"Honestly, it didn't matter," said Dawkins, when asked about the preseason public perception of the team. "It doesn't matter what, outside this locker room, they're saying about this team. We make our own reality in work, the way we practice, the way we prepare, and the way we play on game day. So people can continue to talk about us in the negative. That's fine. We don't believe in that.":salute:

powderaddict
09-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Ok, I'm copying and pasting my thoughts on the "brutal" 8 game stretch instead of typing it all over again. I'd like to add, that every other team in the AFC West plays the NFC East and AFC North. The Broncos don't need to have a better record than everyone else, just a better record in the AFC West. So, our daunting schedule is pretty much as daunting as KC's, Oak's, and SD's. That said:

This is not as daunting as it looked before the season started. These teams the Broncos are playing are not invincable. They all have weaknesses that can be exploited. Not a single one of those games is unwinnable.

Dallas - Dangerous, but beatable. In front of 105k people, the ex president, and national TV, they handed that game to NY. The O-line isn't great, and their DB's can be exploited. If Denver can hang with Dallas through 3 quarters, look to the altitude to start wearing Dallas down (like we saw against Cleveland). They may be without Barber as well.

NE- Brady is no longer superman (is he playing scared?) but still very good and dangerous. They can't run the ball, and their defense misses the toughness Harrison and Seymore brought. Mayo is out too. The Oline is aging and a shell of what they were.

@SD - LT looks done. Sproles is dangerous (can his frame handle the beating week in and out?), as is their passing game. But, both their Oline and Dline have major injuries, and can be pushed around. Post-steroid Merriman is nowhere near Steroid Merriman. This may be the toughest game out of the bunch, but it's definately winnable.

@ Baltimore - I take back what I said about @SD being the toughest game. This is. But, the do have some weakness at CB, the line is not playing like they did under Ryan. Flacco is dangerous, but still young, if he can be pressured Denver stands a chance.

Pittsburgh - Will Polumalu be back? Pittsburgh is really struggling to run the ball. Denver's DB's will have their hands full, but Denver's D should be able to contain the Pittsburgh offense. The Pittsburgh defense is one of the best at putting pressure on QB's - but Denver has a great pass blocking line (did you see how much time Orton had against Rogers & Co???). If Denver can establish the run, watch out!

@ Washington - I'm having a hard time pinning them down. Their defense can be very formidable. If Campbell can settle down and get into a rythem, they can be a very dangerous team - but 9 points against St. Louis? Really?

SD - In Denver - See above, but... IN DENVER. Hopefully Hochuli is the ref :salute:

NY - Again at home. It's strength vs strength - Their Dline vs Denver's oline. I think whoever wins that battle, wins the game. This is a short week wit NY doing the 2 time-zone travel.

Of course injuries, etc can change any of these - but my point is that Denver *can* win ANY of those games. Personally, I see 5-3 - losses in SD, in Baltimore, and NY. I think 3-5 would be acceptable, if Dever beats Oakland that puts them at 6-5 after the part of their schedule everyone frets about. 4-4 or 5-3 gives Denver a legit shot at the division, as long as one of those wins (preferably 2!) is against SD.

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok, I'm copying and pasting my thoughts on the "brutal" 8 game stretch instead of typing it all over again.

I don't see a mention of next weeks game against jokeland. They beat up on sandyeggo. I hope we don't get injuries in this game as did sandyeggo. We need to come out of that game OK before we think about the boys.

powderaddict
09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't see a mention of next weeks game against jokeland. They beat up on sandyeggo. I hope we don't get injuries in this game as did sandyeggo. We need to come out of that game OK before we think about the boys.

Yeah, when people refer to the "brutal 8 game" part of the schedule, typically it includes the 8 games AFTER oakland :lol:

They're dangerous, and playing much more physical, but Denver matches up well against them. Unless Russell makes drastic improvemement in the time between the KC game and Denver game, I don't see how oakland beats Denver. Denver can give the game away if they play sloppy, turn the ball over, make mistakes, etc, but if they stick to what they've been doing, protect the ball, they should handle oakland.

Any given Sunday though!

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd like to add, that every other team in the AFC West plays the NFC East and AFC North. The Broncos don't need to have a better record than everyone else, just a better record in the AFC West. So, our daunting schedule is pretty much as daunting as KC's, Oak's, and SD's. That said:

true but they play different teams in those div. based on what place they finished in their respective divisions.....so oak and kc play the bottom tier teams in the nfce and afcn....we play the better teams.
that being said .....we aint afraid of nobody....NOBODY!:mad::salute:

powderaddict
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
true but they play different teams in those div. based on what place they finished in their respective divisions.....so oak and kc play the bottom tier teams in the nfce and afcn....we play the better teams.
that being said .....we aint afraid of nobody....NOBODY!:mad::salute:

Not exactly - the AFC West plays all 4 teams in those divisions - We all have Dallas, NY Giants, Redskins, and Eagles on our schedules.

The standings from last year match us up with another division based on each division's standing from last year. So, we play Indy, SD plays Tennessee, etc.

Cugel
09-23-2009, 11:54 AM

The other teams already HAVE tendencies! That's the point. You can study film of Dallas from this year and last year, and even the year before and learn things.

Tony Romo is still Tony Romo. The Dallas offensive system is still the same, etc. They might change up some things, but they're not going to change what works and the formations and plays they've had success with.

In the NFL you run with what works until somebody stops you, and then you try something else. So far Dallas has had some success with what they've been doing so why would they change everything?

Answer: they wouldn't. So you can study and learn what they're likely to do in any given situation. That's not 100% obviously, but it helps.

With the Broncos there ARE NO tendencies because they have a new coach, new players, new system that nobody's seen before (outside of the Bengals and Browns games).

As the season progresses Denver will just have to try and disguise some of what they're trying to do and change some tendencies to fool defenses. That's all normal football.

Cugel
09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, when people refer to the "brutal 8 game" part of the schedule, typically it includes the 8 games AFTER oakland :lol:

They're dangerous, and playing much more physical, but Denver matches up well against them. Unless Russell makes drastic improvemement in the time between the KC game and Denver game, I don't see how oakland beats Denver. Denver can give the game away if they play sloppy, turn the ball over, make mistakes, etc, but if they stick to what they've been doing, protect the ball, they should handle oakland.

Any given Sunday though!

Reality check: Russell sucked in the KC game. If you watched that game you saw a guy who looked like a raw rookie out there. He threw behind his WRs, he overthrew them, he made poor decisions, the whole 9 yards.

Hopefully he NEVER straightens it out and becomes another bust like Vince Young! But, if he does that team has a lot of talent and will be a threat. But, it will set them back for years if their QB is a bust, so keep your fingers crossed! (Especially if you waste the #1 overall pick on a guy and hope he's going to be the franchise QB for the next decade -- and he winds up being, well, not Ryan Leaf, but Kyle Boller or Alex Smith)! :welcome:

powderaddict
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
The other teams already HAVE tendencies! That's the point. You can study film of Dallas from this year and last year, and even the year before and learn things.

Tony Romo is still Tony Romo. The Dallas offensive system is still the same, etc. They might change up some things, but they're not going to change what works and the formations and plays they've had success with.

In the NFL you run with what works until somebody stops you, and then you try something else. So far Dallas has had some success with what they've been doing so why would they change everything?

Answer: they wouldn't. So you can study and learn what they're likely to do in any given situation. That's not 100% obviously, but it helps.

With the Broncos there ARE NO tendencies because they have a new coach, new players, new system that nobody's seen before (outside of the Bengals and Browns games).

As the season progresses Denver will just have to try and disguise some of what they're trying to do and change some tendencies to fool defenses. That's all normal football.

Agreed. It also seems as if Denver's been pretty basic on offense to date. They may just be working on basics, and expand as they get things down, but I wonder if they've been holding out some things due to the teams they faced. It also could be in part due to Orton's injury.

It will be interesting to watch this offense progress and grow throught the season, and see how they adjust to different teams.

powderaddict
09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Reality check: Russell sucked in the KC game. If you watched that game you saw a guy who looked like a raw rookie out there. He threw behind his WRs, he overthrew them, he made poor decisions, the whole 9 yards.

Hopefully he NEVER straightens it out and becomes another bust like Vince Young! But, if he does that team has a lot of talent and will be a threat. But, it will set them back for years if their QB is a bust, so keep your fingers crossed! (Especially if you waste the #1 overall pick on a guy and hope he's going to be the franchise QB for the next decade -- and he winds up being, well, not Ryan Leaf, but Kyle Boller or Alex Smith)! :welcome:

Yeah, that KC game was one of the worst performances by a QB that I've seen. He missed guys out in the flat that were like 10-15 yards away from him - not past the line of scrimmage, but just in the flat!! I saw a couple of what should be the easiest passes possible, where he just flat out MISSED. It wasn't a communication issue with the receivers, or huge pressure, just horrible, terrible throws.

The oakland line is going to have their hands full, if Russell has consistant pressure the potential is there for a turn over field day for the Denver DB's!

BroncoNut
09-23-2009, 12:18 PM
LMFAO! Hell yeah! :woot:

Clay, what happened to you?

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Any given Sunday though!

I'm not so much worried about them winning, although you never know, as I am getting injuries that would hurt us in the following games. They beat up on SD. If JaMarcan't plays like he did last week we should tear it up on D.

Tempus Fugit
09-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok, I'm copying and pasting my thoughts on the "brutal" 8 game stretch instead of typing it all over again. I'd like to add, that every other team in the AFC West plays the NFC East and AFC North. The Broncos don't need to have a better record than everyone else, just a better record in the AFC West. So, our daunting schedule is pretty much as daunting as KC's, Oak's, and SD's. That said:

This is not as daunting as it looked before the season started. These teams the Broncos are playing are not invincable. They all have weaknesses that can be exploited. Not a single one of those games is unwinnable.

Dallas - Dangerous, but beatable. In front of 105k people, the ex president, and national TV, they handed that game to NY. The O-line isn't great, and their DB's can be exploited. If Denver can hang with Dallas through 3 quarters, look to the altitude to start wearing Dallas down (like we saw against Cleveland). They may be without Barber as well.

NE- Brady is no longer superman (is he playing scared?) but still very good and dangerous. They can't run the ball, and their defense misses the toughness Harrison and Seymore brought. Mayo is out too. The Oline is aging and a shell of what they were.

@SD - LT looks done. Sproles is dangerous (can his frame handle the beating week in and out?), as is their passing game. But, both their Oline and Dline have major injuries, and can be pushed around. Post-steroid Merriman is nowhere near Steroid Merriman. This may be the toughest game out of the bunch, but it's definately winnable.

@ Baltimore - I take back what I said about @SD being the toughest game. This is. But, the do have some weakness at CB, the line is not playing like they did under Ryan. Flacco is dangerous, but still young, if he can be pressured Denver stands a chance.

Pittsburgh - Will Polumalu be back? Pittsburgh is really struggling to run the ball. Denver's DB's will have their hands full, but Denver's D should be able to contain the Pittsburgh offense. The Pittsburgh defense is one of the best at putting pressure on QB's - but Denver has a great pass blocking line (did you see how much time Orton had against Rogers & Co???). If Denver can establish the run, watch out!

@ Washington - I'm having a hard time pinning them down. Their defense can be very formidable. If Campbell can settle down and get into a rythem, they can be a very dangerous team - but 9 points against St. Louis? Really?

SD - In Denver - See above, but... IN DENVER. Hopefully Hochuli is the ref :salute:

NY - Again at home. It's strength vs strength - Their Dline vs Denver's oline. I think whoever wins that battle, wins the game. This is a short week wit NY doing the 2 time-zone travel.

Of course injuries, etc can change any of these - but my point is that Denver *can* win ANY of those games. Personally, I see 5-3 - losses in SD, in Baltimore, and NY. I think 3-5 would be acceptable, if Dever beats Oakland that puts them at 6-5 after the part of their schedule everyone frets about. 4-4 or 5-3 gives Denver a legit shot at the division, as long as one of those wins (preferably 2!) is against SD.

I could break all these down, but it's really not what my point was. My point is merely to note that people shouldn't get too high about 3-0 if it happens, and they shouldn't start going nuts if 3-8 happens. Fans being what they are, the homers will be crowing at 3-0 and the haters will be screaming for McDaniels' head even before 3-8 happens but, based upon the schedule, neither of those things, if they occur, should be looked at as proof of anything more than a team playing to its schedule.

outdoor_miner
09-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm not so much worried about them winning, although you never know, as I am getting injuries that would hurt us in the following games. They beat up on SD. If JaMarcan't plays like he did last week we should tear it up on D.

Sorry - but you should be worried about Oakland winning. Divisional games are notoriously difficult to predict, even when one team is clearly superior to the other. It's the nature of rivalries.

In this case, I think we are a better team than Oakland (although, not be leaps and bounds)... they are too one-dimensional with their offense. However, their D looks really tough, and anything can happen in one game. I'm especially concerned about turnovers... if our offense turns the ball over, we could be in for a very long day. I think that will be the key. If we can protect the ball, I think we win.

I'm super nervous about this game, though. I've said for awhile that it is important for this team to start fast. Not only from a "schedule" standpoint since we play some of our most winnable game early, but also from a momentum standpoint. Fans and players are starting to believe in the team, but a loss to Oakland could quickly erode that confidence. The media (and some fans as we see all the time here and on other message board) have just been waiting to pounce on any sign of weakness. If we lose a few games in a row, things could turn ugly. And, no matter what anyone says, constant negativity will eventually affect the players. A 3-0 start, however, followed be a hard fought victory over one of the supposed "good" teams (say Dallas, New England, or San Diego), and people will really start to believe, which will give the team a great deal of confidence.

I just think there is such a huge difference between 3-0 and 2-1. I really really really really hope we win. :salute:

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Not exactly - the AFC West plays all 4 teams in those divisions - We all have Dallas, NY Giants, Redskins, and Eagles on our schedules.

The standings from last year match us up with another division based on each division's standing from last year. So, we play Indy, SD plays Tennessee, etc.

which as it stands give us the dirty end of that stick..

broncofaninfla
09-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry - but you should be worried about Oakland winning. Divisional games are notoriously difficult to predict, even when one team is clearly superior to the other. It's the nature of rivalries.

In this case, I think we are a better team than Oakland (although, not be leaps and bounds)... they are too one-dimensional with their offense. However, their D looks really tough, and anything can happen in one game. I'm especially concerned about turnovers... if our offense turns the ball over, we could be in for a very long day. I think that will be the key. If we can protect the ball, I think we win.

I'm super nervous about this game, though. I've said for awhile that it is important for this team to start fast. Not only from a "schedule" standpoint since we play some of our most winnable game early, but also from a momentum standpoint. Fans and players are starting to believe in the team, but a loss to Oakland could quickly erode that confidence. The media (and some fans as we see all the time here and on other message board) have just been waiting to pounce on any sign of weakness. If we lose a few games in a row, things could turn ugly. And, no matter what anyone says, constant negativity will eventually affect the players. A 3-0 start, however, followed be a hard fought victory over one of the supposed "good" teams (say Dallas, New England, or San Diego), and people will really start to believe, which will give the team a great deal of confidence.

I just think there is such a huge difference between 3-0 and 2-1. I really really really really hope we win. :salute:

I agree. This game is going to be a dog fight with bboth teams pretty much eveny matched. Both defenses are playing at a high level right now and both QB's have incompletion issues. Oakland should be 2-0 right now the same we are. Sure the Raiders have been bad lately and I'm not suggesting they are great by any means but no way this gameis a cake walk. In Oakland, this is going to be a dog fight.

Ravage!!!
09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
right now it is what it is, and its pretty much what we expected when looking at the season bfore we started.

We guessed that we "might" be Cinci, and we basically "kinda" did...but not really. Also, most people guessed us to beat Cleveland.. and we did.

So the 2-0 start, right now, is just as most envisioned it to be.. and that is still going on guessing we ahve a 5 win season. Doesn't mean we won't catch some breaks with teams having injuries and such. But at the same time, we are in the same boat. One injury to the already weak DL, and we could be in some hurt.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the 2-0 start,but we just ahve to keep our heads straight and see that this is pretty much how everyone guessed it would be so far.

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Agreed. It also seems as if Denver's been pretty basic on offense to date. They may just be working on basics, and expand as they get things down, but I wonder if they've been holding out some things due to the teams they faced. It also could be in part due to Orton's injury.

It will be interesting to watch this offense progress and grow throught the season, and see how they adjust to different teams.

so far I think they have been just trying to get those basics down PAT..

if you will all notice every post game or practice interview given, they say much the same thing, "we made mistakes and we have to get them stopped"..

it does not matter who is talking if it is Josh then he is sending messages to his team publicly.. if it is a play then they are acknowledging that they GET the scheme and attitude that Josh is putting out there.. that something worth doing it worth being great at..

the players have bought into what Josh wants and his schemes.. and frankly IMHO that is most of the battle.. if they play as a team they will be hard to beat.. EVEN if we do not have 10-15 pro bowl players on the squad.. TEAM wins and will eventually get them pro bowls..

that they are no longer just going through the motions waiting for those one or two players the coach thought they needed to win..

Ravage!!!
09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
every player from every team says "we made some mistakes out there and we need to get those corrected." Thats the standard reply

claymore
09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
every player from every team says "we made some mistakes out there and we need to get those corrected." Thats the standard reply

Hell, I say it every time I come home from a night of drinking!

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
the players have bought the package and are busting their butts to be the best they can be..

but will we be able to match up the the huge LOS players coming up in the next few weeks .. I have my doubts ..

while we are some 15-25+ pounds per person heavier that last year almost across the board can we beat them at physicality..

the NFCN is a tough division to be in, not really a slouch in those teams.. WASH being the weakest of the group for the most part could beat most other teams if they were not playing NYG, DAL, and PHL 6 times a year.. like the old AFCW used to be..

While I look to be optimistic I'm not quite sure we can match up to those teams yet maybe next year but BRUTAL schedule still rings in my ears..

I am proud of what I am seeing but just not sure YET they have the horse power to compete at this level..

I realize that good to great coaching will bring the level of play up but sometimes it just becomes one on one match ups that kill you..

we all know that NE was the best team in the super bowl a couple of years ago but got beat by the NYG DL.. NE had them beat in almost every other are hands down but the DL was the factor in losing that game..

If we can come through playing .500 ball I will be ecstatic

Lonestar
09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Hell, I say it every time I come home from a night of drinking!

but then there is a HUGE reason for that RIGHT?:salute:

Ravage!!!
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
again.. EVERY TEAM.. the players say the same thing "We made some mistakes our there that we need to get corrected." EVERY team.... whether they are buying Wade Phillips stuff or not.... they still say the same thing.

claymore
09-23-2009, 01:52 PM
but then there is a HUGE reason for that RIGHT?:salute:

LOL, Hell yeah. :yardog:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-23-2009, 01:53 PM
The Raiders might not be who we thought they were.

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Maybe I should have worded it differently.

I know all about "any given sunday".
;)

outdoor_miner
09-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe I should have worded it differently.

I know all about "any given sunday".
;)

I didn't mean to come across as "lecturing" you about something obvious. :) I'm just nervous about this game. I think it makes a huge difference in how our season unfolds. If we win, I think we are on a really good path. The negative folks can talk all they want about predicting we'd start off ok due to the schedule, but there's probably nobody that was down on the team that had us at 3-0.

I've also been greatly enjoying a more "united" Broncos fan base that winning brings forth. People are excited about the team, analyzing the games and players, all the fun stuff that message boards enable. Lose a couple, and it's back to miserable back and forth with ridiculous name-calling and relentless negativity.

We'll see I guess. Winning is just a lot more fun.

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I didn't mean to come across as "lecturing" you about something obvious. :) I'm just nervous about this game. I think it makes a huge difference in how our season unfolds. If we win, I think we are on a really good path. The negative folks can talk all they want about predicting we'd start off ok due to the schedule, but there's probably nobody that was down on the team that had us at 3-0.

I've also been greatly enjoying a more "united" Broncos fan base that winning brings forth. People are excited about the team, analyzing the games and players, all the fun stuff that message boards enable. Lose a couple, and it's back to miserable back and forth with ridiculous name-calling and relentless negativity.

We'll see I guess. Winning is just a lot more fun.

I think this could and most likely is a pivotal game. Win and we go one way, lose and go the other.

Beating up jokeland would be a boost.

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I think this could and most likely is a pivotal game. Win and we go one way, lose and go the other.

Beating up jokeland would be a boost.

i actually think the dallas game will go alot farther in deciding our direction,i realize this is a divisional game and therefore is really a "more important" win. but even if (forgive me father for i have...) we lose to choketown , we can bounce back and write it off as a "trap game".... if dallas beats us in our house it will make the team wonder if they can even compete with the big boys on our schedule...especially on the road etc...
with dallas being a jumping off point to that brutal stretch ,a win then will give the team the needed confidence to at least win 1/2 of the games many thought were lost beforwe the season started.
better yet lets just win both and not worry about it !:beer:

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 02:54 PM
This is for the division lead. We can be 1/2 game behind or 1 game ahead. If we don't win the division the rest don't matter much.

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
division leads vanish in the blink of an eye....if you cant beat the big guns !
i agree this is a "big" game but if it comes down to the raiders winning a tiebreaker i would hate to see what happens to us in the playoffs.

powderaddict
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Guys guys guys guys....

If the faiders win, that means at week 3 they are leading the division (in a tie for 1st).

The universe will not allow for that!!

You have nothing to worry about :salute:

Gimpygod
09-23-2009, 04:15 PM

We have already won more games than I thought and definitely are showing more heart and grit than I had ever expected so color me tickled. Three more wins and I'm going to start my own "eating crow" thread. The offense doesn't have me delirious but if we can get Marshall going that could improve by at least 20 to 30%.... over two hundred catches the last two years absolutely has to be utilized.

TXBRONC
09-24-2009, 02:41 PM

Agreed. Dallas, New England, San Diego, Pittsburgh and Washington look beatable right now. While nothing is certain, it's possible that we could have winning record going into the second have of the season.