PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Chemistry missing between Marshall, Orton

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13389233?source=rss

Two games in, you already are hearing that word. Some teams are clicking on offense and some aren't.

It's chemistry.

Really, nobody really talks about the running game when it comes to chemistry, so it's all about quarterbacks and receivers. The Browns, who left Denver 0-2 and haven't scored a meaningful touchdown on offense since late last season, don't have it between Brady Quinn and Braylon Edwards, and the Broncos don't have it between Kyle Orton and Brandon Marshall.

For the Broncos, it's clear for the most part the receivers are still adjusting to a far more complex set of duties than they've had before. And Marshall, who missed much of the offseason as well as plenty of training camp for a variety of reasons including a suspension, is usually getting some kind of direction from Orton, coach Josh McDaniels, wide receivers coach Adam Gase or all of the above when he leaves the field.

But he's hesitant in his routes, not always where Orton expects him to be and gets pulled at times because other guys, most notably Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley, are far more comfortable in what the Broncos are doing.

And with Orton being constantly counseled to avoid the big mistake, he isn't going to force the ball into Marshall unless the receiver is where he is supposed to be, unlike another quarterback who may have played here recently.

Bottom line, if Marshall is listening and working to fix it, his production and playing time will go up. If not, he has a lot more three-catch games on his horizon, just like Sunday's, when he spent plenty of time watching other guys run routes.

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I think I'm more concerened about the lack of chemistry between Orton and Royal then i am Orton and Marshall, at this point anyways.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
The only player that Orton has developed or seemingly been able to connect with regularly is Stokley, perhaps Gaffney. Gaffney is mentally ahead of the others because he knows the system. As the weeks go on, I expect the chemistry to be solid across the board. This is what Marshall gets for not being around.

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
well wuth our limited production thus far, i think the ball is being spread around pretty well....now if we could just double the output of all recievers i'd be happy

Slick
09-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I think I'm more concerened about the lack of chemistry between Orton and Royal then i am Orton and Marshall, at this point anyways.

Royal isn't the same this year so far. Is it because he's playing his position and Brandon's when Brandon is being scolded on the sidelines? Dressing only 4 WR killed us when one of them isn't taking snaps.

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Marshall has 7 rec. which is more than any one else but not many yards.

I think all our receivers need to step up their game.

honz
09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Orton has targeted Marshall the most so far I believe...FWIW. We really are spreading the ball around though, which will benefit everyone in the long run.

underrated29
09-22-2009, 11:33 AM
well i have eddie in FF. So spreading the ball to him would really really really be a good thing. But as long as we are winning i will keep my mouth shut.

honz
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
well i have eddie in FF. So spreading the ball to him would really really really be a good thing. But as long as we are winning i will keep my mouth shut.
Eddie doesn't seem the same so far this year. He was so sure handed and reliable last year and he has already dropped/not caught 3 very catchable balls this year. I wonder if he was sick last week and that's why he had to get an IV at halftime. Who knows...I expect him to come around though...he was featured pretty heavily in the preseason.

Ray Finkle
09-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Eddie doesn't seem the same so far this year. He was so sure handed and reliable last year and he has already dropped/not caught 3 very catchable balls this year. I wonder if he was sick last week and that's why he had to get an IV at halftime. Who knows...I expect him to come around though...he was featured pretty heavily in the preseason.

he is doubled with a safety over the top on most plays. Teams are taking him out of the play....

shank
09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
he is doubled with a safety over the top on most plays. Teams are taking him out of the play....

once marshall gets caught up, they are going to have to pick who they double team. they can't cover marshall, eddie, scheffler, and the run all at the same time like they'd like to.

once that happens, it will be on McD to call the right plays and keep defenses guessing.

i really do think that marshall missing so much time has hurt the whole offense, not just his own production.

honz
09-22-2009, 04:20 PM

Not really on topic, but this is proof that Royal is not a legit #1 WR. He is a great weapon and complimentary WR...maybe one of the best when he is right...but I just don't see him ever beating double coverage on a consistent basis. His lack of size really limits him in those situations.

Superchop 7
09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Kyle Orton = Mr Happy feet

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I think it's either because Marshall has missed so much time and practice or because Orton is so thoroughly ordinary.......or both.......

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I prefer to take Champ's thoughts on Kyle

Champ Bailey - Orton a Proven Winner

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=62256@kcnc.dayport.com

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 04:33 PM

= 2 wins and 0 int's......sorry to ruin your day:D

powderaddict
09-22-2009, 05:12 PM

I think it's either because Marshall has missed so much time and practice or because Orton is so thoroughly ordinary.......or both.......

It's quality posts that like these that adds so much to these boards :lol:

I wonder if Marshall's "chemistry" is good with ANYONE on the team right now. I hope with more time and practice he can get on the same page with the rest of the team, but he really doesn't seem that motivated. I can keep hoping though.

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 05:52 PM
It's quality posts that like these that adds so much to these boards :lol:

I wonder if Marshall's "chemistry" is good with ANYONE on the team right now. I hope with more time and practice he can get on the same page with the rest of the team, but he really doesn't seem that motivated. I can keep hoping though.

Wait, so you're saying Orton's lack of ability can't have anything to do with the lack of chemistry between he and his receivers? I'm more than willing to admit that Marshall has far more to do with it than anything else, but I sincerely doubt folks around here are willing to consider that I might be onto something.

I guess "quality" in a post is a relative term in that a post is only significant if you have the stomach to consider what's in it, otherwise it's just trolling.......

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I expect they're all out there trying. Marshall wants to showcase his skills this year so he can make more money whether it be for the Broncos or somewhere else.

I think it's a matter of time and the offense will start showing their skills or, we'll start sinking.

The "chemistry" is going to come together hopefully this Sunday.

Ray Finkle
09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Not really on topic, but this is proof that Royal is not a legit #1 WR. He is a great weapon and complimentary WR...maybe one of the best when he is right...but I just don't see him ever beating double coverage on a consistent basis. His lack of size really limits him in those situations.

how is that not on topic. How many WR's that are doubled can beat that? A select few. Why would Orton or any QB with half a sense throw into double coverage?

Eddie is not 6'4 but if you met him in person, you would see he is a very big man.

MOtorboat
09-22-2009, 09:54 PM
lol, his fears of his numbers going down in this system are because, SURPRISE, he wasn't there to learn it...not because they would go down...

Dumbass.

Devilspawn
09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Jeez it's two games!

I'm an impatient fan and all but damn.

Wait until mid-November to decide.

whatever you do, please please PLEASE don't trade him to the Jets. Those guys are already in halftime of their fictitious Superbowl.

honz
09-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Jeez it's two games!

I'm an impatient fan and all but damn.

Wait until mid-November to decide.

whatever you do, please please PLEASE don't trade him to the Jets. Those guys are already in halftime of their fictitious Superbowl.

Well, they do have Mark Sanchise...

honz
09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
how is that not on topic. How many WR's that are doubled can beat that? A select few. Why would Orton or any QB with half a sense throw into double coverage?

Eddie is not 6'4 but if you met him in person, you would see he is a very big man.

I'm saying my post isn't on topic really, but I didn't say it very well. Many top tier WR's can beat double coverage...including Marshall when he is right.