PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: Week 2

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9381

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As the Broncos entered the fourth quarter with a 13-6 advantage over the Browns, a win was far from guaranteed.

That's when the running backs decided to produce their best stretch of the season to date.

Averaging three yards per carry through three quarters of play, Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, Peyton Hillis and LaMont Jordan used their legs to put the game out or reach. The group combined for 108 yards on 15 fourth-quarter carries, capped by Hillis' two-yard touchdown run and Buckhalter's 45-yard touchdown run.

"Actually I came on the sideline and I told Knowshon and LaMont, 'One of us is going to break their inside zone,'" Buckhalter said. "I was the lucky one to do it, but it was fun."

Denver finished with 186 yards on the ground, but the unit was far from shy in displaying its versatility out of the backfield. Three of the Broncos' 12 first downs in the second half came via a pair of 11-yard receptions from Moreno and a 30-yard screen pass to Buckhalter.

Yardage on those early downs helped the Broncos hold the ball for nine-plus minutes in the final frame, squelching any potential for the Browns to mount a comeback.

"We needed those," Moreno said. "We needed those big first downs in the second half, and I think the offensive line did a good job just opening those holes for the backs to get those first downs and keep the clock moving."

MISTAKE-FREE FOOTBALL

While paving holes for the running backs, the offensive line also gave Kyle Orton plenty of time to grow more comfortable with his receivers.

Sack-free for 60 minutes, Orton completed a methodical 19-of-37 passes for 263 yards and a touchdown. Despite playing with a glove on his throwing hand for a second straight game, Orton did not commit a turnover and sees a glove-free hand in the near future.

"It is getting better," Orton said. "I am hoping to be playing without it next week. It is not something that I enjoy doing or anything, but I am hoping next week it will be better."

For the second straight week, Orton connected with eight different receivers while putting them in positions to make big plays. He netted four pass plays of 25-plus yards -- 25 yards to Brandon Marshall, 30 yards to Buckhalter, 37 yards to Brandon Stokley and 49 yards to Jabar Gaffney.

All of those catches sported significant yardage after the catch, which Eddie Royal attributed to Orton's intelligence in the pocket.

"You've got to be patient sometimes," Royal said. "You want to be smart with the ball, and Kyle did that. He played a great game -- he led the offense the way Coach McDaniels always talks about."

ONLY THE BEGINNING

After months of patiently awaiting the arrival of the regular season, the Broncos have built their best start possible at this point.

That start has bred a sense of confidence, along with a guard against overconfidence.

"We're not surprised at all," said Daniel Graham of the 2-0 start. "We knew that a lot of people would doubt us, but we're being one as a team in here, we don't care what people say about us or what they think, we're going out and getting wins as a team."

At the same time, the squad is aware that wins are moot unless they continue. Stokley has his focus looking forward to the next challenge at hand -- a Raiders team that was 18 seconds away from a win in Week 1 and its own 2-0 start.

"You always want to get out to a good start, but that's only half the battle -- you've got to finish strong," Stokley said. "That's what we're going to try to do, just get better every week and improve and get ready for Oakland."

frenchfan
09-22-2009, 02:07 AM
For the second straight week, Orton connected with eight different receivers while putting them in positions to make big plays. He netted four pass plays of 25-plus yards -- 25 yards to Brandon Marshall, 30 yards to Buckhalter, 37 yards to Brandon Stokley and 49 yards to Jabar Gaffney.

All of those catches sported significant yardage after the catch, which Eddie Royal attributed to Orton's intelligence in the pocket.

"You've got to be patient sometimes," Royal said. "You want to be smart with the ball, and Kyle did that. He played a great game -- he led the offense the way Coach McDaniels always talks about."
This is were you can find the "Pats" way : involve all your players in the games... Each players know they'll have a chance to play and have to stay focused... Which I like because :
- less frustration in your roster (except if you have a TO like player)
- can let the opponent's D just focus on 1 or 2 players --> confusion
- bring competitive spirit to all our players... good way to make them produce at their best.

Just my 2 cents...

gobroncsnv
09-22-2009, 06:57 AM
(except if you have a TO like player)

Well said... I'm hoping BMarsh sees what is happening. Our new system could really put his talent to good use, but he'll need to see that the ball is going to have to be spread around for us to be the most effective. This won't be a stat-piling year for him, but he's already shown that he can have star quality as a #1 receiver over the past 2 seasons. Now we need him to show that he can have star quality by learning to share the glory.
I don't pretend to think we're gonna win every game this year, but we're better than I thought we'd be on offense this year. But we have a LONG way to go to become playoff material, IMO. Just keep improving each week. All I ask. Seems to me to be a good idea to keep scoring in every quarter, instead of jump out to a lead and watch the defense let it melt.

frenchfan
09-22-2009, 09:27 AM
(except if you have a TO like player)

Well said... I'm hoping BMarsh sees what is happening. Our new system could really put his talent to good use, but he'll need to see that the ball is going to have to be spread around for us to be the most effective. This won't be a stat-piling year for him, but he's already shown that he can have star quality as a #1 receiver over the past 2 seasons. Now we need him to show that he can have star quality by learning to share the glory.
I don't pretend to think we're gonna win every game this year, but we're better than I thought we'd be on offense this year. But we have a LONG way to go to become playoff material, IMO. Just keep improving each week. All I ask. Seems to me to be a good idea to keep scoring in every quarter, instead of jump out to a lead and watch the defense let it melt.Great post... IMO, BM should show another face on the field soon... No doubt he's really talented, but his behaviour is not acceptable... I'm sure that if he changes his mind and play at his level, he will have a good contract (with Broncos or another team).
He has to think team too... What is better? Having 200 catches or a SB ring?

He has to understand that many D fear him... So they'll cover him first and that will open other players... Then, the D will be forced to adjust and he'll have his time too... Look at Moss... Damn, sometimes Brady doesn't throw at him for a long time and then he has all the balls... I really wonder why??? ;)

I can understand BM is disappointed with his contract... But if I was him, I'd come on the field and show my organization they'd better to take care of me... Something like "see what I can do? You really want me to go next year?"... Then he'll have big bucks sonner or later... After all he should realize he is blessed to play a great sport, make a lot of money (something that some people would never earned in a whole life)...

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
If Marshall isn't smart enough to know he needs to step up maybe he needs a new agent and we don't want him at all.

Just sayin'.

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
While watching the game, I kept hearing the announcers make comments about how our WR's are just never open, even when Orton has time in the pocket. I wonder how much of a concern that is. I know Marshall isn't a very good route runner, but I would have thought guys like Royal and Stokley would consistently be able to get open. Stokley brpoke free a couple teams, but I think in this offense I was expecting Eddie Royal to be better than he is at this point.

gobroncsnv
09-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Orton IS getting all kinds of time on some plays. I did notice quite a few where the Browns saw that there was money to be made by sending extra rushers at our right side. But when he's got 4-5-6 seconds back there, and he's not throwing the ball by then, receivers just aren't busting loose. I'm guessing that Royal is viewed as our #1 threat, at least while BMarsh is not in there. Eddie is likely drawing double coverage, so it HAS to fall to Stokes, Gaffney, et al, to help us sustain drives. I don't like to have to count on Jordan doing a fly pattern to try to score in the red zone.

LRtagger
09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
While watching the game, I kept hearing the announcers make comments about how our WR's are just never open, even when Orton has time in the pocket. I wonder how much of a concern that is. I know Marshall isn't a very good route runner, but I would have thought guys like Royal and Stokley would consistently be able to get open. Stokley brpoke free a couple teams, but I think in this offense I was expecting Eddie Royal to be better than he is at this point.

Well IMO when Marshall isn't in the game (which was most of the game), coverage rolls to Royal. If you notice from Game 2, Royal and Stokely got open more frequently when Marshall was in the game...also, when Marshall was on the sidelines, Gaffney was really the only guy to get a lot of seperation because he was singled up while they rolled a guy over to Royal.

Gaffney seems to be the best route runner right now because he is familiar with the offense. He seems to get open downfield easier. I think Royal will get better in the offense and if Marshall can get on the field it will really open up doors for the other guys. But I have a feeling Marshall isn't seeing the field because of his route running.