PDA

View Full Version : Elway Says Brandon Marshall Should Be Careful

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2009, 08:40 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/marshall.broncos.Elway.2.1198003.html

DENVER (CBS4) - John Elway is impressed with how the 2009 Broncos are improving two games into the season, especially the defense.

The one Bronco the Hall of Fame quarterback doesn't seem terribly impressed with so far? Brandon Marshall.

Speaking on his weekly segment of Gary Miller and Vic Lombardi's Sports Insiders radio show, Elway said he thinks the disgruntled receiver needs to be very careful about his game preparation and on-field effort as the season continues.

Marshall wasn't on the field in the second quarter of Sunday's 27-6 win over the Cleveland Browns, possibly because of errors made in early in the game. He wound up with 3 catches for 34 yards and was called for offensive holding in the fourth quarter.

"I have heard at some times he doesn't finish routes and doesn't run hard routes all the time," Elway said of Marshall.

"I think Brandon at some point in time needs to realize that (the coaches) are not going to put up with missed assignments and loafing on the back side and not blocking and doing the types of things that you need to do to win."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels already suspended Marshall for the last stretch of the preseason after he appeared to be not giving his full effort in practice and complaining about his contract.

"They've butted heads a couple of times already and I think that we've seen that (head coach Josh) McDaniels is going to win every time," Elway said.

While Elway's former teammates Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith have both reportedly met with Marshall this year and given him pointers on his situation, Elway said he hasn't actually even ever met him in person.

"Until Brandon realizes that he's not going to win this battle, he'd better put his head in that playbook and make sure that he's running the right routes."

Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros.

"He's not proven (he deserves) that so far," Elway said.

Northman
09-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros.

That is the BEST advice that Brandon should take under consideration. If he doesnt want to be here, ok, but your only hurting your stock right now by acting and playing poorly.

EastCoastBronco
09-22-2009, 07:09 AM
He should be talking to Randy Moss. If there was ever a guy who turned from a lazy *******, primidonna into a team oriented, hard working player, it's Moss. The change in that guy is amazing. Brandon could learn a thing or two from him...or maybe not. I'm not so sure there is too much going on between Brandon's ears.

Dirk
09-22-2009, 08:24 AM
For the sake of the team and for BMarsh's talent, I hope he turns it around. It does seem to me that he seems a little disoriented on the field still. But, with his skill level as a player, he should still be able to get open and he really isn't. I'm not sure what this is all about.

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2009, 10:45 AM
He should be talking to Randy Moss. If there was ever a guy who turned from a lazy *******, primidonna into a team oriented, hard working player, it's Moss. The change in that guy is amazing. Brandon could learn a thing or two from him...or maybe not. I'm not so sure there is too much going on between Brandon's ears.

I've actually wondered if the didn't talk to Moss.

In Oakland Moss was labelled by his coaches as unable to run anymore. Lazy. In other words a no-good ne'er-do-well. Then the Pats pick him up for a song, and he's a pro-bowler again.

Seems Moss figured out how to get out of Oakland. Probably didn't help his bank account much, but it didn't hurt him getting out of there to a championship team.

Tempus Fugit
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
"I have heard at some times he doesn't finish routes and doesn't run hard routes all the time," Elway said of Marshall.

"I think Brandon at some point in time needs to realize that (the coaches) are not going to put up with missed assignments and loafing on the back side and not blocking and doing the types of things that you need to do to win."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels already suspended Marshall for the last stretch of the preseason after he appeared to be not giving his full effort in practice and complaining about his contract.

"They've butted heads a couple of times already and I think that we've seen that (head coach Josh) McDaniels is going to win every time," Elway said...
"Until Brandon realizes that he's not going to win this battle, he'd better put his head in that playbook and make sure that he's running the right routes."...

The Broncos have already won this battle just by capturing Marshall on that tape before suspending him. Any sympathy Marshall had was lost that day. McDaniels can now do pretty much what he wants to with regards to Marshall and there will be very little outcry, even from those who still scream for the coach's head at every opportunity. Marshall can either get with the program or watch as his value goes down because he gets sent to the bench time after time. I think it's pretty clear that McDaniels will live without Marshall on the field as his #1 receiver if he feels that's the better way to go. If Marshall thinks a 30-50 catch season is going to bring him big dollars on the open market, he's likely to be very disappointed.

Cutler's gone, the Broncos are in first place, and McDaniels is putting his stamp on the team. After next week, the tough stretch of the schedule kicks in. If the Broncos start dropping games (they could certainly end up 3-8 heading into the K.C. game) and Marshall is still performing the way he is now, the fans and media will be looking for a scapegoat, and he'll have all but volunteered for the part.

Superchop 7
09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes Brandon, run your tail off.

We all know that Orton is going to lock onto his primary and never look your way, it's too much for his drunken brain to process.

You can be 30 yards open, it just doesn't matter.

What does matter ?

The effort.

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros. "He's not proven (he deserves) that so far," Elway said.

Sorry, I love John Elway, but this is bullshit, Marshall's on-field production is similar to Terrell Davis' when he got a contract extension, Rod Smith signed an extension before his first contract was expired as well.

Contrary to what he says (Or remembers), extending contracts is nothing new for Pat Bowlen, the fact that the Broncos have brought in the big guns to pimp the company line changes nothing, Marshall at least earned his way onto the bargaining table long before his meltdown.

John Elway is full of shit, the Broncos have every right to be selective with whom they give these extension to, but let's not pretend it never happens and let's not pretend that Marshall hasn't done enough on the field.......

Bronco Bully
09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Guess he is trying to win back the fans tho. He was the only one that jumped off his golf cart to sign a few autographs. Gave me the opportunity to use my son and we received one :laugh:. He only signed maybe 8 out of maybe 200 people out there. Luck of the draw for us. Even better if he stays with us and plays up to his potential in the future.

The other was Lamont Jordan. Photographed him while he was signing as well. He passed over my son tho :mad: To be honest, he didnt appear to be in a good mood. Couldn't put my finger on it but his body language was real negative :confused:

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
The Broncos have already won this battle just by capturing Marshall on that tape before suspending him. Any sympathy Marshall had was lost that day. McDaniels can now do pretty much what he wants to with regards to Marshall and there will be very little outcry, even from those who still scream for the coach's head at every opportunity. Marshall can either get with the program or watch as his value goes down because he gets sent to the bench time after time. I think it's pretty clear that McDaniels will live without Marshall on the field as his #1 receiver if he feels that's the better way to go. If Marshall thinks a 30-50 catch season is going to bring him big dollars on the open market, he's likely to be very disappointed.

Cutler's gone, the Broncos are in first place, and McDaniels is putting his stamp on the team. After next week, the tough stretch of the schedule kicks in. If the Broncos start dropping games (they could certainly end up 3-8 heading into the K.C. game) and Marshall is still performing the way he is now, the fans and media will be looking for a scapegoat, and he'll have all but volunteered for the part.

Josh McDaniels took the leading role when he trade away the Franchise QB, nobody is stupid enough to blame a WR for a 3-8 record, especially when the Head Coach traded away the face of the franchise for a total stiff and a couple draft choices that have barely seen the field.

McDaniels started all this drama with "his stamp", don't get it twisted.......

Lonestar
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros. "He's not proven (he deserves) that so far," Elway said.

Sorry, I love John Elway, but this is bullshit, Marshall's on-field production is similar to Terrell Davis' when he got a contract extension, Rod Smith signed an extension before his first contract was expired as well.

Contrary to what he says (Or remembers), extending contracts is nothing new for Pat Bowlen, the fact that the Broncos have brought in the big guns to pimp the company line changes nothing, Marshall at least earned his way onto the bargaining table long before his meltdown.

John Elway is full of shit, the Broncos have every right to be selective with whom they give these extension to, but let's not pretend it never happens and let's not pretend that Marshall hasn't done enough on the field.......

all he said as far a I can see, is that brandon has not proven he deserves it.. I would guess he was factoring in his off the field issues and lack of maturity when he said that..

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 05:06 PM

How many times have you heard someone say of a player who is in his FINAL year of a contract, that he is playing to get a NEW contract. That is what Elway meant

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Neither of the two you mentioned were in court several times nor were they batting down balls in practice so they may have deserved and work a little harder than Marshall has.

In other words they deserved it.

powderaddict
09-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Judging by Marshall's response to not getting a new deal, do you think it was wrong for the orginization to hold off?

I think he's proven the Broncos FO right much more than wrong. He's acted like an immature punk. If he wanted to "prove" the FO wrong, he'd come in, work his ass off, keep his nose clean, and "prove" to the other 31 teams that he is worth big $$$.

If anything he's proven that he wasn't worth a huge contract. And he's done little or nothing to change that perception.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
I just traded BMarsh for Ochocinco and Glen Coffee in my dynasty fantasy league. He is dead to me now.

Lonestar
09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Judging by Marshall's response to not getting a new deal, do you think it was wrong for the orginization to hold off?

I think he's proven the Broncos FO right much more than wrong. He's acted like an immature punk. If he wanted to "prove" the FO wrong, he'd come in, work his ass off, keep his nose clean, and "proven" to the other 31 teams that he is worth big $$$.

If anything he's proven that he wasn't worth a huge contract. And he's done little or nothing to change that perception.

good post
If anything he's proven that he wasn't worth a huge contract. is the key comment in it..

so far he has done himslef MORE damage than before because it all counts now..

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM

I think he's proven the Broncos FO right much more than wrong. He's acted like an immature punk. If he wanted to "prove" the FO wrong, he'd come in, work his ass off, keep his nose clean, and "prove" to the other 31 teams that he is worth big $$$.

Not necessarily, I think both have handled it poorly, Marshall worst of all, but I don't think John Elway is talking about what has happened, imo, he's talking about performance;

"Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros."

If Elway is thinking along the same lines as you he would be saying basically the same thing as you, but on the field Marshall has done enough to get Bowlen to the table, that's proven by Bowlen's past history.

What has happened since is mostly on Brandon Marshall, he wants out in the worst way and is/was willing to do anything he can to facilitate that, but on the field he's proven himself, and if Elway is saying otherwise, and I think he is, then he's full of shit.......

SmilinAssasSin27
09-22-2009, 05:41 PM
BM is a bag o douche.

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 05:47 PM
What has happened since is mostly on Brandon Marshall, he wants out in the worst way and is/was willing to do anything he can to facilitate that, but on the field he's proven himself, and if Elway is saying otherwise, and I think he is, then he's full of shit.......

yeah....what does john elway know? he is a car salesman or something....
you know more about how to succeed in the nfl than some 40 something ex qb....he must be F.O.S. if YOU say so.....:laugh:
if you read what he said......maybe multiple times....you can see his point is that marshall needs THIS to be a great year if he wants other teams to line up for his services.
with all the other issues this offseason teams will be looking to see if he has any fire/love for the game.
and he (not you ) is right !

powderaddict
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Not necessarily, I think both have handled it poorly, Marshall worst of all, but I don't think John Elway is talking about what has happened, imo, he's talking about performance;

"Elway says that if Marshall wants to make big money and sign as a free agent with another team, this should be his best year in the pros."

If Elway is thinking along the same lines as you he would be saying basically the same thing as you, but on the field Marshall has done enough to get Bowlen to the table, that's proven by Bowlen's past history.

You really did go over to the dark side, didn't you :laugh:

Is there anything about this team you like?

So what about Marshall's performance this year shows he's worth a new contract?

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
yeah....what does john elway know? he is a car salesman or something....
you know more about how to succeed in the nfl than some 40 something ex qb....he must be F.O.S. if YOU say so.....:laugh:
if you read what he said......maybe multiple times....you can see his point is that marshall needs THIS to be a great year if he wants other teams to line up for his services.
with all the other issues this offseason teams will be looking to see if he has any fire/love for the game.
and he (not you ) is right !

When did I say anything about knowing more than John Elway? Once again folks want to make this about me, well, I find it flattering that ya'll can't focus when I'm around but you're gonna have to.

If you read what Elway said: "I don't think he's proven he deserves that so far".......the **** he hasn't!

It should have never got his far, but now it's obvious that Marshall needs to have a great year THIS year, I get that.......but my point was, and still is, Marshall has done as much as it took former Broncos a contract extensions.

Read it as many times as you need to, I am right about that, and no amount of double-talk can change that.......

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think Marshall has proven he deserves it either. I agree with John.

I don't care what your opinion is.

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 06:08 PM
You really did go over to the dark side, didn't you :laugh:

Is there anything about this team you like?

So what about Marshall's performance this year shows he's worth a new contract?

Why does it have to be like this? This is not about me.

Marshall's production so far has been enough to get him to the bargaining table, it really is that simple.......

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't think Marshall has proven he deserves it either. I agree with John.

I don't care what your opinion is.

Nor do I care about your opinion, but this isn't about you either, is it?.......

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Link;757359]When did I say anything about knowing more than John Elway? Once again folks want to make this about me,
QUOTE]

when you said that a hall of fame quarterback was "full of shit"
that implies that you think he is wrong and you are right....does it not?
and no dont flatter yourself ....i,m not making this about you....only pointing out that if you and john elway were standing in a room talking football,and one of you was full of shit....i doubt it would be elway.
:salute:

Day1BroncoFan
09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Nor do I care about your opinion, but this isn't about you either, is it?.......

It's about Brandon and John.

Brandon is the guy that went to court you know. the front office was waiting for the result from that before giving him a new contract. Having been found not guilty he decided it would be better to act like a baby than to man up.

Apparantly no one made any offers that the FO thought were good enough to trade him about.

They suspended him for acting like a baby so no, I don't think he deserves a new contract right now.

If he gets his act together by mid-season maybe he can talk about it.

Yes I agree with John.

That is my opinion.

dogfish
09-22-2009, 06:32 PM
When did I say anything about knowing more than John Elway? Once again folks want to make this about me, well, I find it flattering that ya'll can't focus when I'm around but you're gonna have to.

If you read what Elway said: "I don't think he's proven he deserves that so far".......the **** he hasn't!

It should have never got his far, but now it's obvious that Marshall needs to have a great year THIS year, I get that.......but my point was, and still is, Marshall has done as much as it took former Broncos a contract extensions.

Read it as many times as you need to, I am right about that, and no amount of double-talk can change that.......

on the field, yes-- but it's not a zero-sum game. . . concern over his hip injury and very legitimate concern over the strong possibility of an eight or even sixteen game suspension in the future has lessened what would otherwise be the considerable value generated by his on-field success. . .

when we extended guys like rod and TD, not only had they excelled on the field, they were also consummate pros in terms of all the intangibles and work ethic. . . and despite his warts, it was reported that the team was talking extension with marshall before his latest brush with the law. . . IMO he has no one to blame but himself that he didn't get the contract he wanted-- the team has every right to protect themselves and invest their money how they want. . .

i'm glad they didn't extend marshall, and he needs to man up and just friggin' accept that his OWN actions are the main thing standing between him and that fat new deal he wants-- he woulda had it already if he hadn't ****ed up yet again. . . his own fault, and now he can either deal with that and admit that he now has to do some extra work to get there, or he can half-ass it until we let him walk in a year or two, and hope he gets paid somewhere else. . . it's up to him. . .

and just for the record, i'm not necessarily saying that he's half-assing it. . . he hasn't produced much so far this season, but i think it's reasonable to temper our expectations of a guy who's way behind in terms of live reps in a new offense, as well as coming off surgery. . . and it's possible that he could really bust his ass and still see his production shrink-- the guy throwing him the ball isn't nearly as talented as the guy that used to, and has never been as productive in the NFL as the old guy. . . plus, mcdaniels' offense spreads the ball around a lot. . .

but if we get to midseason and he's still not giving us anything more than he is now, i think it's pretty fair to assume that he's really not trying. . . calvin johnson put up damn solid numbers last year with a rotating door of joke QBs and a historically bad team. . . .

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 06:34 PM
when you said that a hall of fame quarterback was "full of shit"
that implies that you think he is wrong and you are right....does it not?
and no dont flatter yourself ....i,m not making this about you....only pointing out that if you and john elway were standing in a room talking football,and one of you was full of shit....i doubt it would be elway.
:salute:

I am completely full of shit, but not on this subject.......you refuse to see my point because you've made this about me.

Deny that Pat Bowlen has given extension to players with Marshall's production and you too can be full of shit.......

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I am completely full of shit, but not on this subject.......you refuse to see my point because you've made this about me.

Deny that Pat Bowlen has given extension to players with Marshall's production and you too can be full of shit.......

show me where bowlen has given extensions to guys who worked out in another city while the rest of the team was at ota,s....who asked to be traded? who had a court date deciding wether or not they would be suspended who have a histoty of off field problems....
look in MOST peoples minds brandon only has to keep his nose clean and produce this season and all wil be well,but nobody (including the broncos) lined up to give him a huge payday this year.

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
on the field, yes-- but it's not a zero-sum game. . . concern over his hip injury and very legitimate concern over the strong possibility of an eight or even sixteen game suspension in the future has lessened what would otherwise be the considerable value generated by his on-field success. . .

when we extended guys like rod and TD, not only had they excelled on the field, they were also consummate pros in terms of all the intangibles and work ethic. . . and despite his warts, it was reported that the team was talking extension with marshall before his latest brush with the law. . . IMO he has no one to blame but himself that he didn't get the contract he wanted-- the team has every right to protect themselves and invest their money how they want. . .

i'm glad they didn't extend marshall, and he needs to man up and just friggin' accept that his OWN actions are the main thing standing between him and that fat new deal he wants-- he woulda had it already if he hadn't ****ed up yet again. . . his own fault, and now he can either deal with that and admit that he now has to do some extra work to get there, or he can half-ass it until we let him walk in a year or two, and hope he gets paid somewhere else. . . it's up to him. . .

and just for the record, i'm not necessarily saying that he's half-assing it. . . he hasn't produced much so far this season, but i think it's reasonable to temper our expectations of a guy who's way behind in terms of live reps in a new offense, as well as coming off surgery. . . and it's possible that he could really bust his ass and still see his production shrink-- the guy throwing him the ball isn't nearly as talented as the guy that used to, and has never been as productive in the NFL as the old guy. . . plus, mcdaniels' offense spreads the ball around a lot. . .

but if we get to midseason and he's still not giving us anything more than he is now, i think it's pretty fair to assume that he's really not trying. . . calvin johnson put up damn solid numbers last year with a rotating door of joke QBs and a historically bad team. . . .

I have never denied that, I'm only saying they could at least be in negotiations instead of making things worse (again), especially considering the difficulty of this contract, we've been through this a thousand times, offering him a contract with no guaranteed money is the same as offering nothing at all, we all know damn good and well that he'll get a contract that is somewhere in between the one he was apparently offered and the money he's asking for.

Brandon Marshall has every reason to believe that he's earned a new contract, especially with the blackmail thing behind him, but so far the Broncos are far more interested in playing mind game than talking contract, and that's why Marshall is acting like a ******* idiot (again), and the fact that the Broncos treat player relations like a bog treats a fire hydrant should concern Broncos fans, because you know it concerns that rest of the players.

I'm not excusing Marshall's act, I think he's a ******* idiot, I always have, but the Broncos have done extensions before and whether or not he deserves it off the field is a matter for negotiations, not for public denigration.......

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 06:56 PM
show me where bowlen has given extensions to guys who worked out in another city while the rest of the team was at ota,s....who asked to be traded? who had a court date deciding wether or not they would be suspended who have a histoty of off field problems....
look in MOST peoples minds brandon only has to keep his nose clean and produce this season and all wil be well,but nobody (including the broncos) lined up to give him a huge payday this year.

Those are reasons that YOU think he shouldn't get an extension, not the insurmountable obstacles people make them out to be.......

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 07:07 PM
i'm pretty sure i read where the team did offer him and extesion ,but it had too many clauses for behavior and off field issues ( should they become a problem again).....but i might be full of s.........

Simple Jaded
09-22-2009, 07:14 PM
i'm pretty sure i read where the team did offer him and extesion ,but it had too many clauses for behavior and off field issues ( should they become a problem again).....but i might be full of s.........

It had zero guaranteed money from what I've hear/read, I doubt that's ever going to be a legitimate possibility.......

dogfish
09-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I have never denied that, I'm only saying they could at least be in negotiations instead of making things worse (again), especially considering the difficulty of this contract, we've been through this a thousand times, offering him a contract with no guaranteed money is the same as offering nothing at all, we all know damn good and well that he'll get a contract that is somewhere in between the one he was apparently offered and the money he's asking for.

Brandon Marshall has every reason to believe that he's earned a new contract, especially with the blackmail thing behind him, but so far the Broncos are far more interested in playing mind game than talking contract, and that's why Marshall is acting like a ******* idiot (again), and the fact that the Broncos treat player relations like a bog treats a fire hydrant should concern Broncos fans, because you know it concerns that rest of the players.

I'm not excusing Marshall's act, I think he's a ******* idiot, I always have, but the Broncos have done extensions before and whether or not he deserves it off the field is a matter for negotiations, not for public denigration.......

i understand where you're coming from, and without knowing exactly what he was offered i really can't comment on it. . . if they did offer him a contract with no guaranteed money that's blatantly ridiculous and would explain (not justify) some of the attitude problems. . . that's the first i'd heard of that-- where did you hear it?

as far as player relations, the whole cutler thing concerns me FAR more than marshall's situation. . . yea, they're both egotistical and immature, but jay was a guy that played through a year of undiagnosed diabetes without a word of complaint, a guy who never had any problems before the coach looked at trading him for a stiff-- marshall has been a pain in the ass with his off-field bullshit for a few years now. . . i have far less sympathy for him, and find it a lot easier to condone the franchise being wary of paying him. . . JMO. . .

T.K.O.
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Sources: Marshall rejected Broncos offerViews 22750 Comments 48 06:06 AM ET 09.10 Share Print It My T&R Earlier in training camp, the Broncos submitted at least one contract proposal to Brandon Marshall, according to two NFL sources. The proposal was considered to be team-favorable and was quickly rejected. Since that proposal, Marshall was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Several NFL executives and agents say they expect the Broncos to wait to see how Marshall performs before they engage in serious discussions regarding a contract extension.
Denver Post

sounds smart to me.....

weazel
09-22-2009, 09:34 PM
is it really worth talking about this scumbag anymore? The Broncos just have to move on without him.