PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels' decision paying off for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13387138?source=rss

Back in January, when Josh McDaniels was hired to replace Mike Shanahan as head coach, he took a look at the Broncos roster and the way the team's defense had played in 2008.

McDaniels knew he wanted his Broncos to play a 3-4 defense, not in a 4-3 scheme like it did under Shanahan, and what McDaniels saw made his decision to switch systems an easy one.

No waiting, he decided. Do it now.

"The 4-3 really wasn't here. The way they had played, the style and the guys — we just felt like it wasn't like we had a solid 4-3 defensive scheme," McDaniels said Monday. "In other words, why take a year and do that when it really wasn't in place to begin with?"

Those comments from McDaniels are the closest the new coach has come to saying anything disparaging about his predecessor in the more than nine months since taking over as head coach.

McDaniels also called Shanahan's brief foray into a 3-4 defense last season — which ended after a disastrous 41-7 loss at New England in late October — a "hybrid, gimmicky deal."

"Everything from the first few weeks that we got here moving forward, we said, 'We're going in that direction regardless,' " McDaniels said. "It might not be perfect, but we're going to get it as close to perfect by the time we start playing games. It was that simple."

So far, it appears McDaniels made the right decision. The new defense, which features eight new starters, has held its first two opponents to 13 total points and is vastly improved against the run and the pass, and also has created five turnovers. The 2008 Broncos had only 13 turnovers all season.

"It's just executing what you're supposed to do, and being in the right place a lot of the times gives you a great chance to create turnovers," McDaniels said. "If you make a lot of mistakes, where you're not in the right position, then you find yourself with very few opportunities to create them. Our guys were kind of in the right place yesterday and kind of did some of the things we coach them to do."

Lonestar
09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
My only concern is depth at all positions.. and that we do not give them enough rest time while on offense..

this is going to be a long year if they lose the TOP foray each game..

I love what I;m seeing but they are far from being the ravens reincarnate..

I will be happy if we wind up the year in the top 20 and ecstatic if they are top ten..

We are missing a true NT unless carter steps up by years end and then he needs to put on 10-15 pounds of upper body muscle to play that spot alot..

The rookie DB's need to get playing time because the old farts back there are going to need rest this year also..

maybe we can play them the last 4-5 minutes of the first half and the first 6-8 of the second half and let them all get a power nap over half time.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

T.K.O.
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
maybe we can play them the last 4-5 minutes of the first half and the first 6-8 of the second half and let them all get a power nap over half time.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

once orton takes the glove(s) off we will be so far ahead in most games they can take the 2nd half off for naptime !:laugh:

Dirk
09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
once orton takes the glove(s) off we will be so far ahead in most games they can take the 2nd half off for naptime !:laugh:

I love your optimism!!

honz
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Agreed. The glove is the only thing holding Orton back from putting up Brees like numbers. Also, if Peyton Hillis didn't fumble the opening kickoff yesterday Orton would have thrown 3 more TD passes.

T.K.O.
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Agreed. Orton is the only thing holding Orton back from putting up Brees like numbers. Also, if Peyton Hillis didn't fumble the opening kickoff yesterday Orton would have thrown 3 more TD passes.

not to mention if mcDummy had the good sense to let orton kick those field goals......:elefant:

SmilinAssasSin27
09-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Well if Orton is gonna play the OLB spot opposite Elvis, he will need to keep the gloves on.

Dean
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Uh. . . right! What he said.

Kaylore
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
"The 4-3 really wasn't here. The way they had played, the style and the guys — we just felt like it wasn't like we had a solid 4-3 defensive scheme," McDaniels said Monday. "In other words, why take a year and do that when it really wasn't in place to begin with?"

:lol:What a funny and scathing and accurate comment. Screw you, Bob Slowick. Screw your record-setting garbage defense. Screw you Jamie Winborn and screw your stupid dances on pedestrian tackles. Screw you Marquand Manuel. Screw you son of Slowick who got the job because your idiot Dad handed to you.

honz
09-21-2009, 06:46 PM
And remember that McD game planned against us last year and exploited us badly. What did NE put up on us...40+ points I think. They ran straight down our undersized throats and then threw a couple of easy TD passes on us just for fun. :lol: He knew how putrid both our scheme and personnel was last year.

MOtorboat
09-21-2009, 08:40 PM
That defensive performance Sunday was out-fricking-standing...And one of the scores came when Hillis coughed the ball up on the opening kickoff.

To finally get to a game and to finally watch my defense do that...:sopumped:

Shazam!
09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
The Defensive play can drop significantly and still be better than last year. That's how friggin' pathetic this unit was for the last two seasons.

That's funny, I haven't heard the name 'McDumbass' mentioned here in awhile.

...and Spanuolo's Rams look like garbage.

Just Win at Oakland Baby.