PDA

View Full Version : Who should get the bulk of the carries at RB?

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Who should get the bulk of the carries at RB? Who seems to be our best option at RB this season?

Fan in Exile
09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I think if you're talking about the entire season then by the end of it I would like to see Moreno have the bulk of the carries. By the next game I think that Bucky should have the most carries but not by much. Unless of course someone else is hot that game.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 09:25 AM
At this point Buck is by far the better running back. Better vision and faster than Moreno. I think Buck gives us the best chance of winning games. I almost get the feeling McD is putting Moreno in hoping he will get better with more carries. I'd rather see him go with the better back.

FanInAZ
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Moreno, I just got him for my FF team

camdisco24
09-21-2009, 10:21 AM
With time I think Moreno will be the better back, but as of right now Buck is preforming better. Until Moreno proves himself (and he will), I think Buckhalter should get the bulk of carries.

Dirk
09-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I lean towards Bucky simply because he is running harder atm. But, give Moreno a couple more weeks and hopefully he will be explosive once he gets on page.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd rather have the better back running the ball than waiting for the RB with more potential to get better. At this stage Buck is by far the better back and gives us a better chance of winning.

Slick
09-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Lamont Jordan wouldn't get many if I was calling plays, if any at all. I'd prefer we stay with the committee approach. Buck has durability issues to say the least, Knowshon is still just getting his feet wet. I'd rotate between Buck, Moreno and Hillis. If one of them gets hot, give them more carries.

shank
09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
i think by mid season, moreno and hillis should be our 1-2. supplement with buck as needed.

Day1BroncoFan
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Taking the entire year in to account I think Moreno should more carries. The carries should be spread out somewhat with Moreno getting more.

jhildebrand
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
If it were up to me Buck would get the most followed by equal amounts of Moreno and Hillis.

Jordan would get 0 or mop up duty in a blow out.

Buff
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I liked yesterday's distribution... Give Moreno the bulk, get Buck 8-10 touches, bring Hillis in on the goalline and let Jordan get the leftover work when the other backs are winded... I think you could also make a case for giving Jordan's carries to Hillis... But not when he fumbles the opening kickoff.

Slick
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I liked yesterday's distribution... Give Moreno the bulk, get Buck 8-10 touches, bring Hillis in on the goalline and let Jordan get the leftover work when the other backs are winded... I think you could also make a case for giving Jordan's carries to Hillis... But not when he fumbles the opening kickoff.

Hopefully between the three of them, they won't get winded. Jordan hasn't impressed me in the slightest. He looked like he had 30 lb. ankle weights on both legs yesterday.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Just curious....why would you guys prefer to give Moreno who got 75 yards on 17 carrys and averaged 4.4 yards a carry over a guy who averaged 8.4 yards a carry and got 76 yards on just 9 carries? At this stage Buck is by far the better RB and gives us our best chance of winning now.

shank
09-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Just curious....why would you guys prefer to give Moreno who got 75 yards on 17 carrys and averaged 4.4 yards a carry over a guy who averaged 8.4 yards a carry and got 76 yards on just 9 carries? At this stage Buck is by far the better RB and gives us our best chance of winning now.

because without the big run, buck only averaged 3.8 ypc. (don't get me wrong, it was a great run.. .but he wasn't exactly tearing it up apart from that one play).

we also spent the 12th overall pick on moreno, and i'm pretty sure we plan to use him. he will soon show himself as superior to buck when he gets all caught up and is able to just play football.

honz
09-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Stats don't tell the whole story. Moreno made good gains on a couple plays yesterday where your average RB would have been stopped for a short gain or loss. Bucky also has some of that ability, but he isn't quite as elusive as Moreno. A lot of it depends on what kind of holes the OLine opens up on a given play. I probably wouldn't have scored a TD, but I could have gotten 20-30 yards fairly easily running through that hole that was opened up for Bucky on that long TD run.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 02:44 PM
because without the big run, buck only averaged 3.8 ypc. (don't get me wrong, it was a great run.. .but he wasn't exactly tearing it up apart from that one play).

we also spent the 12th overall pick on moreno, and i'm pretty sure we plan to use him. he will soon show himself as superior to buck when he gets all caught up and is able to just play football.

Buck actually had two big runs, one was called back on a holding call. two big runs in half of the carries that Moreno had. I truly feel Buck has better vision and speed and should be given the bulk of the carries. Moreno might be a 1st round pick but he is clearly being outplayed by Buck at this stage.

Slick
09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Doesn't Buck have two bionic knees? We have to be careful with him.

shank
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Buck actually had two big runs, one was called back on a holding call. two big runs in half of the carries that Moreno had. I truly feel Buck has better vision and speed and should be given the bulk of the carries. Moreno might be a 1st round pick but he is clearly being outplayed by Buck at this stage.

it's his second game after missing a lot of camp and most of the preseason. don't take this wrong, but of course he's being outplayed by the seasoned veteran... the way to get moreno playing at a higher level is to give him the reps he needs to get a handle on the offense and to slow things down so he can find the holes that he is very capable of exploiting for big gains.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 03:01 PM
it's his second game after missing a lot of camp and most of the preseason. don't take this wrong, but of course he's being outplayed by the seasoned veteran... the way to get moreno playing at a higher level is to give him the reps he needs to get a handle on the offense and to slow things down so he can find the holes that he is very capable of exploiting for big gains.

I'm all for giving the kids some reps to get him to where he is expected to be BUT I would rather do that when the game is at hand. If it's the 4th quarter and there is 4:00 on the clock and it's a close or tied game, I want Buck toting the ball.

The priority should be winning games not getting Moreno up to speed.

TXBRONC
09-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm all for giving the kids some reps to get him to where he is expected to be BUT I would rather do that when the game is at hand. If it's the 4th quarter and there is 4:00 on the clock and it's a close or tied game, I want Buck toting the ball.

The priority should be winning games not getting Moreno up to speed.

I think the priority is winning games BFIF. It would be waste of his talent just use him in mop up duty in my opinion.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
For now, I'm completely happy with an even workload for all involved. I think I'll jump off a bridge if our RBs start going down again like they did last year. Right now with a 3 or 4 RB rotation, nobody is really getting banged up or too tired.

I know it sucks for the fantasy guys out there, but we're going to need a running game if we want a chance to compete in the post season.

Tned
09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
It was a toss up between Buck and Moreno. I chose Moreno, because I think long term he is our option, and every carry he gets now, will pay dividends down the road as he gets better.

That said, Buckhalter is clearly our most effective back right now. I am VERY pleased with Buckhalter in the first two games.

Lonestar
09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
right now I think Bucky has earned the carries and starting gig..

down the road I think Moreno should be getting alot of them..

I think as it stands it is a good think having competition at the spot and some QUALITY depth..

Frankly I like Hillis and think he should get a crap load of carries :salute: to soften the DB's up for later in the game..

Nomad
09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
right now I think Bucky has earned the carries and starting gig..

down the road I think Moreno should be getting alot of them..

I think as it stands it is a good think having competition at the spot and some QUALITY depth..

Frankly I like Hillis and think he should get a crap load of carries :salute: to soften the DB's up for later in the game..

I agree as well and I see broncofaninfla's point too. Buck should get the bulk until he proves otherwise unless Moreno or Hillis starts tearing up the turf.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
whoever gets the W. Keep em all fresh. It works for the Giants and Ravens.

Tned
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
I agree as well and I see broncofaninfla's point too. Buck should get the bulk until he proves otherwise unless Moreno or Hillis starts tearing up the turf.

Until Larsen is healthy, I think Hillis needs to be used selectively at RB, so we have a healthy FB.

outdoor_miner
09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Personally, I'm just excited that the running game appears to be taking shape (although, next week will be a test with the Raiders front 7 looking pretty good). I think Moreno and Buckhalter should continue splitting carries. Both guys look solid when they are in there, and there is no need to wear either guy down. I agree with others that I would like to see Hillis more involved (I'm a pretty big fan of the guy), but I was happy that he was used at the goalline over Jordan. Also, it's hard to complain about a lack of touches for Hillis when the running game produced as well as it did yesterday.

I'm excited about Moreno. He looked much better yesterday (although, you can tell he's still going a million miles an hour) and he also has done well in the passing game. He had a nice blitz pickup yesterday, and he looks natural catching the ball. I think he's the future, but I don't see any reason to feed him the ball exclusively with how good Buckhalter has looked, too. I have no problems with Running Back By Committee, especially when everyone in the committee brings something to the table.

dogfish
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
I'd rather have the better back running the ball than waiting for the RB with more potential to get better. At this stage Buck is by far the better back and gives us a better chance of winning.

"by far" the better back?

wow. . . don't get me wrong, i like buckhalter, but i guess i missed the part where he was such a dominating back that a top talent like moreno should sit for him. . . i mean, the guy has never carried more than 130 times in any single season, hasn't reached a hundred carries since 2003, and has never proven that he was capable of being anything even vaguely resembling a workhorse-- he's never reached 600 yards for a season, and he's 30 years old playing on one if not two rebuilt kness (can't remember). . . he's had some nice runs, and is a capable player, but no one's going to mistake him for adrian peterson or deangelo williams. . . i really don't think he's going to morph into a stud buffalo at this point in his career, and if we thought he was i don't think we'd have spent #12 on knowshon. . .

buckhalter is what he is, and always has been-- a solid complimentary back. . . asking him to suddenly be a lot more than that isn't all that likely to produce great results. . . no offense intended, but some of you guys utterly amaze me with your complete lack of patience with the rook. . . the guy made a HUGE leap from week one to week two, and there's no reason to believe that he won't continue to improve, and do so at a rapid clip as long as he's given opportunities. . . this kid has huge upside, and he was drafted to be the lead dog in the backfield-- the sooner we get him fully up to speed, th better it's going to be for the franchise. . . let buckhalter do what he's always done and been successful at, and let knowshon do what he was drafted to do. . .

i think they'll continue to rotate touches, with buck probably starting for at least another few weeks, as it should be. . . but i fully expect knowshon to take that starting job away from him sooner rather than later. . . i have no beef with buckhalter being used, even given the lead role if the coaching staff really feels that he gives us the best chance to win. . . but ask the guy to handle a 250-300+ carries pace this year, and his knee will probably explode before the midway point. . . . as for buckhalter giving us the best chance to win, i suppose maybe that's the case if you really think he can maintain the gaudy 7.2 YPC he has over more than his current 17 touches, but i don't see it happening. . . and it's not like the 4.4 YPC and impresive 11 yards per catch that knowshon gave us last week aren't numbers that you can win with, and i DO believe that he can not only maintain that pace long term, but possibly improve on it. . .

of course, we really need more consistent run blocking from our interior O-linemen regardless of which back we put out there. . .

Dreadnought
09-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Until Larsen is healthy, I think Hillis needs to be used selectively at RB, so we have a healthy FB.

Agreed - and I was very happy to see McD let Jordan carry the load when it didn't matter. Hillis is much more valuable than Jordan (who has almost no value IMO) so let Jordan risk the injury when the game doesn't depend on it.

I'd like to see Hillis get a few more carries, but the other two backs are performing well, and he is the only FB we have handy right now.

Overtime
09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Buckhalter.

MOtorboat
09-21-2009, 09:29 PM
No doubt in my mind its Moreno. Especially after seeing it in person.

The coaches change, the stable stays the same...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Appears to me, unless Coach McD changes, that it's basically running back by committee. He has said he will shuffle players in and out to keep them fresh.

NameUsedBefore
09-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Buckhalter, but it's not really 'bulk' so much as 'slight majority'.

Lonestar
09-21-2009, 11:27 PM

we have a couple of emergency FB that can be used as Blockers only but perhaps that is the reasoning behind Hillis not being run as RB..

broncofaninfla
09-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Mike Bell was better at this stage as a walk on rookie than Moreno is. I think the emphasis should be to give the better back the bulk of the carries than trying to get the rookie up to speed unless the game is already in hand.

shank
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Mike Bell was better at this stage as a walk on rookie than Moreno is. I think the emphasis should be to give the better back the bulk of the carries than trying to get the rookie up to speed unless the game is already in hand.

overtime's thread is over there -->