PDA

View Full Version : Waaa!!! That old guy called me "Boy"!!!

Cleveland Rocks
12-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Ref irks Ravens' Rolle

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AFP) — The Baltimore Ravens were fuming after Monday's 27-24 loss to the New England Patriots, but Ravens defender Samari Rolle was especially angry over one official's perceived put-down.

Rolle told the Baltimore Sun that an official wearing the uniform number 110 repeatedly called him "boy."

The National Football League officiating guide lists Phil McKinnely, a head linesman, as wearing No. 110, and McKinnely was assigned to Monday's contest.

"The refs called me a boy," Rolle said. "No. 110 (McKinnely) called me a boy. I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint."

Rolle clearly felt insulted to be addressed by a word that in the States is often considered racially degrading.

"I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field because I said, 'You've never played the game before.'"

McKinnely who like Rolle is black, was an offensive tackle for three NFL teams in the 1970s and 1980s. He has been an official since 2002.

McKinnely was unavailable following the game, which included a controversial fourth-down holding penalty that kept alive the Patriots' winning drive.

According to the Sun, the Ravens planned to speak to Rolle before they take any action.

Rolle said he exchanged words with McKinnely after linebacker Bart Scott was charged with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty following Tom Brady's game-winning touchdown pass to Jabbar Gaffney with 44 seconds left to play.

Scott drew another foul when he threw an official's flag into the stands.

The Ravens were already angry that officials called a holding penalty against cornerback Jamaine Winborne on a fourth-down pass from Brady that was incomplete.

That gave the Patriots another chance, and Brady threw the scoring pass to Gaffney

LINK (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h3BbCfxnkcAQky_ttnSq9v0UBCLw)

SR
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
What a friggin pansy. I'll bet if the ref called him the "N" word he wouldn't have been mad.

Poet
12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I think what set him off was the phrase was used over and over again. I agree he lost his cool and acted like a blithering idiot.

BroncoBJ
12-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Too bad they cant just put a ref on thier "ignore" List

Colorado4Life
01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me. I guess that was too narrow minded and didn't focus enough on people's self-esteem and egos. Thats what the New Age Movement will correct until we all feel good about ourselves even if we are actually worthless.