PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Dumervil - D Player of the Week?

Davii
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
4 sacks (yes, that's four in one game)
7 tackles
1 forced fumble

I think he should at least be one of the nominees, but I think he deserves the honor.

If you vote no, please let us know which defensive player you feel deserves the honor.

Shazam!
09-20-2009, 08:33 PM
If he played for the Patriots, Eagles, Chargers, Steelers or NYG, he'd get it easily.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Charles Woodson and Atwan Odom had fantastic games as well. Odom had five sacks, IIRC. He should definitely be considered.

gregbroncs
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
I put no. Being objective another player had 5 sacks today (at least that's what somebody here said) and any player had 2 INT's they would potentially deserve it more. One of the other games I saw part of a player had 2 INT's and at least 1 other pass breakup.

He had a great game but I don't think he will or should win DP of the week.

TXBRONC
09-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I put no. Being objective another player had 5 sacks today (at least that's what somebody here said) and any player had 2 INT's they would potentially deserve it more. One of the other games I saw part of a player had 2 INT's and at least 1 other pass breakup.

He had a great game but I don't think he will or should win DP of the week.

If Dumervil wins the award he'll have earned it.

nbenallo33
09-20-2009, 09:59 PM
hes the man!

Elevation inc
09-21-2009, 02:39 AM
dumervil also forced a turnover, and had seven solo tackles....if he gets it it was well earned...

SoCalImport
09-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Not to mention He's on my fantasy team. Doom is my DPOTW for sure!

Dirk
09-21-2009, 05:25 AM
I picked yes...simply because I am being a homer...oh and I didn't watch any other game or read any news yet today. :D

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 08:42 AM
No mention of him in Peter Kings MMQB :tsk:

Jaws
09-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Not to mention He's on my fantasy team. Doom is my DPOTW for sure!

He's on mine as of this morning as well and I hope he terrorises both the Raiders and my fantasy opponent (Dogfish) next week ;)

Reidman
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Didn't he get 3 of his sacks in one series...:lol:

LordTrychon
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Didn't he get 3 of his sacks in one series...:lol:

I thought it was just two... but maybe... yeah. :laugh:

LordTrychon
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Woodson netted me 20+ points on my fantasy team. :laugh:

TXBRONC
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I thought it was just two... but maybe... yeah. :laugh:

It was just two. It may have seemed like three because on very next series is when he got his four sack if I remember correctly.

gregbroncs
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
If Dumervil wins the award he'll have earned it.Yes he will have and he had a great game. But those are the reasons I voted no.

T.K.O.
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Break it down: 3-4 benefits Dumervil
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/21/2009 12:28:01 PM MDT
Updated: 09/21/2009 12:59:10 PM MDT

It's fairly well documented at this point, but those who believe in the 3-4 defense around the league, believe in it passionately because of the versatility it allows.

In essence, the defense can choose the fourth and fifth pass rushers and send them from anywhere in the formation. In a 4-3 look, the four rushers in a base defense are fairly well defined simply by where they line up.

As a result in a 4-3 look, Elvis Dumervil pretty much lined up at right defensive end for the Broncos and that was that. Down in a three-point stance he battled left tackles the majority of the time to get to the quarterback.

However, in the Broncos 3-4 look, Dumervil can appear all over the formation. He can stand up, get down in his stance, play inside the defensive end, line up outside the end and even change sides.

And Sunday the Broncos did just that. In many passing situations Dumervil lined on the defensive right and battled Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, a two-time Pro Bowl selection in his two seasons.

Dumervil had his first sack of the game Sunday when he escaped Thomas as Browns quarterback Brady Quinn stepped up in the pocket to elude safety Brian Dawkins.

But the Broncos also, especially in the second half when they had control of the game, flipped Dumervil to the other side of the formation where he could face Cleveland's right tackle John St. Clair.

And St. Clair is not Thomas. Dumervil dominated the 10th-year veteran, goading St. Clair into a false start, then beating St. Clair for three sacks, two of those in the same series.

Dumervil also forced a fumble in the third quarter when he had dropped out into pass coverage. Cornerback Champ Bailey hit Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs low and Dumervil finished him off up high, knocking the ball free.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Odom had 5 sacks...and not just when the opposition HAD to pass. As great at Elvis was, my vote would have to go to Odom.

sanluis
09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I have always like ( hated to play against) this kid. He is going to be a great OLB IMO!!!

Congrats on the nice start. :salute:

Tned
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
4 sacks (yes, that's four in one game)
7 tackles
1 forced fumble

I think he should at least be one of the nominees, but I think he deserves the honor.

If you vote no, please let us know which defensive player you feel deserves the honor.

I haven't watched any highlights from this weekend (other than then watching the Broncos game), so I can't say whether or not someone is more deserving. I can't imagine him not being nominee.

Did I hear right, did someone have 5 sacks this weekend?

Tned
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Odom had 5 sacks...and not just when the opposition HAD to pass. As great at Elvis was, my vote would have to go to Odom.

Guess I should have read this whole thread first. I thought I had read in another thread about Odom.

Day1BroncoFan
09-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Broncos struggle before running past Browns (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10087216/Broncos-struggle-before-running-past-Browns)

Despite appearances, Dumervil said he's still a work in progress in the Broncos' new 3-4 scheme.

"Yeah, I guess I'm a linebacker now," he said. "It's fun, though. I get to play linebacker and I still get to do what I love - rush the passer. I've found my niche. ... It makes me a complete player."

Dumervil said he has a long way to go to feel comfortable in the 3-4, but it's proving the perfect fit for this unorthodox player who has long arms for a man who stands just 5-11, as Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas saw over and over Sunday.

Found this interesting on Dumervil. Don't know if it has been posted before but thought it would go good in this thread.

frenchfan
09-22-2009, 02:13 AM
According to Peter King, D MVP of the week was Ray Lewis... (thoughts?)

IMO, Odom should earn it with his 5 sacks... But Doom was a serious candidate too...

gregbroncs
09-22-2009, 08:32 AM
According to Peter King, D MVP of the week was Ray Lewis... (thoughts?)

IMO, Odom should earn it with his 5 sacks... But Doom was a serious candidate too...He made a huge play that saved the game for his team. Hard to argue against him. I don't know what other stats he had but that play to finish was huge for his team.

Poet
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
He would have earned it more than Woodson. Woodson's two picks came from Palmer throwing the ball directly to him. He didn't bait or trick Palmer.

He also gave up a touchdown to Lavernous Coles.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-22-2009, 05:50 PM
I just traded BMarsh for Ochocinco in my dynasty league. Good move in your Bengal opinion?

Also, a team w/ 2 injured QBs wants to give me Cotchery and Willis McGahee for Carson Palmer. Carson has plenty left in the tank, right? No sense to give him away for that???

Poet
09-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I just traded BMarsh for Ochocinco in my dynasty league. Good move in your Bengal opinion?

Also, a team w/ 2 injured QBs wants to give me Cotchery and Willis McGahee for Carson Palmer. Carson has plenty left in the tank, right? No sense to give him away for that???

This is going to be one of the last dominant years for CJ. That being said he's playing for another contract somewhere else, so this year he's going to be on fire.

Palmer is better then those two.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
That's what I thought. I'm trying to get Barber and Cotchery for Palmer. Dude only healthy QB is JaMarcus.

I also got Glen Coffee in the BMarsh deal. Hopefully Ocho gives me 3 more good seasons.

broncofaninfla
09-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Antwan Odom wins AFC defensive honors (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/23/antwan-odom-wins-afc-defensive-honors/)

Posted by Mike Florio on September 23, 2009 10:37 AM ET
To little surprise, Bengals defensive end Antwan Odom has been named the AFC defensive player of the week for Week Two.

He generated five -- five! -- sacks in Sunday's win over the Packers at Lambeau Field.

And so the 2008 free-agent acquisition from the Titans is delivering for the Bengals. His emergence, with seven total sacks, will force teams to game-plan to stop him, opening up one-on-one (or fewer) opportunities for the rest of the front seven.

The five sacks on Sunday were the most by any player since September 2007, when Osi Umenyiora of the Giants routinely passed through the Winston Justice turnstile.

T.K.O.
09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
"It's a totally different atmosphere," said outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, whose four sacks vs. Cleveland left him second in the league behind Cincinnati's Antwan Odom. "Brian Dawkins is our emotional leader. He's the guy who brings the noise day in and day out. And to me, the sleeper has been Andra Davis. He's the quarterback of the defense. We were blessed to get him on board."

Dawkins' presence can't be discounted. When a likely future Hall of Famer talks, teammates tend to listen, and he has laid down the law. Several Broncos insiders, including owner Pat Bowlen and wide receiver Rod Smith, have acknowledged in recent years that a poor attitude and a sense of selfishness have plagued the team. Not so with the revamped defense.

"That's my guy, that's my dog," said Dawkins, when asked about Dumervil's four sacks Sunday. "That's when you have a defense that excels, when everybody isn't playing a selfish brand of ball. It's all about celebrating somebody else. Anybody has his chance, and when your chance comes and you make that play, we're going to celebrate."

Day1BroncoFan
09-23-2009, 11:04 AM
"It's a totally different atmosphere," said outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, whose four sacks vs. Cleveland left him second in the league behind Cincinnati's Antwan Odom. "Brian Dawkins is our emotional leader. He's the guy who brings the noise day in and day out. And to me, the sleeper has been Andra Davis. He's the quarterback of the defense. We were blessed to get him on board."

Dawkins' presence can't be discounted. When a likely future Hall of Famer talks, teammates tend to listen, and he has laid down the law. Several Broncos insiders, including owner Pat Bowlen and wide receiver Rod Smith, have acknowledged in recent years that a poor attitude and a sense of selfishness have plagued the team. Not so with the revamped defense.

"That's my guy, that's my dog," said Dawkins, when asked about Dumervil's four sacks Sunday. "That's when you have a defense that excels, when everybody isn't playing a selfish brand of ball. It's all about celebrating somebody else. Anybody has his chance, and when your chance comes and you make that play, we're going to celebrate."

You know you should post a link to the article or at least post where you found it and give credit to the writer. ;)

Cugel
09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
With Odom getting 5 sacks on the day and a forced fumble or something I'd say he wins it.

If Doom gets it then he richly deserves it though! :beer: