PDA

View Full Version : 'We're going to get it right': GM George Paton details plan for Broncos' coaching search, qualities he's looking for in new head coach

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2022, 08:18 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — As George Paton directs his first coaching search as Denver's general manager, there will be no restrictions on the search.

The future head coach of the Broncos could specialize in offense or have a defensive background. That person could be a first-time head coach or be ready for another opportunity. The team's new coach could call the plays — or delegate that responsibility.

The only true requirement will be to bring top-notch leadership to Denver.

"The No. 1 quality is leadership, and we're looking for someone to lead this entire organization, to lead this community and to lead our players," Paton said Sunday. "That's the No. 1 trait we're looking for. Obviously we want the best football coach. I'm not worried about what side of the ball. I'm not worried about a play-caller. We want leadership, and that's our No. 1 priority."

Paton said the team will cast a "wide open" search and will avoid making a snap decision. From his time helping with a coaching search in Minnesota, Paton said he learned that patience can be key.

"Be very thorough," Paton said of what he learned. "Take your time. You don't need to be in a hurry. There's a lot of really good quality candidates, and it's really important to talk to them all. We have a small group, a tight-knit group we're working through that will be part of the search. Again, we're looking forward to it."

rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/we-re-going-to-get-it-right-gm-george-paton-details-plan-for-broncos-coaching-se

Rosebus
01-10-2022, 12:47 AM
He’s saying all the right things. Excited to see what will happen and hopefully elway is nowhere around.

Mozzafiato
01-10-2022, 01:48 PM
Way too young and green for my liking. But doesn't hurt to talk to him.

Eddiemac87
01-10-2022, 02:06 PM
A pats tree guy.. nooooooooooooooooo

Mozzafiato
01-10-2022, 02:14 PM

Ziggy
01-10-2022, 05:14 PM

Let's make it much more simple. Of the top 16 QBs in passing yardage, 13 are in the playoffs. Only one playoff QB (Jaylen Hurts) wasn't in the top half of the league in passing yardage.

Strafen
01-10-2022, 06:35 PM
He’s saying all the right things. Excited to see what will happen and hopefully elway is nowhere around.
What’s up with this hate for John Elway?
I get it he had some big misses in the draft, but he also got us Von Miller. A team like the Jets , Cleveland, Jacksonville, Dallas, San Francisco, Miami, Buffalo, just to be a few, would’ve loved to have played in two super bowls, won one in the last 5-6 years. Just saying...

King87
01-10-2022, 07:37 PM
What’s up with this hate for jong Elway?
I get it he had some big misses in the draft, but he also got us Von Miller. A team like the nets, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Dallas, San Francisco, Miami, Buffalo, just to be a few, would’ve loved to have played in two super bowls, won one in the last 5-6 years. Just saying...

Durant's great, but not sure his game translates to the NFL! :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Trust in Paton! This guy here man every move he’s made has been smart! He’s going to get the right guy and that right guy has to get the right staff.

King87
01-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Trust in Paton! This guy here man every move he’s made has been smart! He’s going to get the right guy and that right guy has to get the right staff.

I agree.

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Way too young and green for my liking. But doesn't hurt to talk to him.

This is my dark horse guy right here. I love what I read about mayo as a leader of men with a bright mind.

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-11-2022, 10:08 PM
I get it he had some big misses in the draft, but he also got us Von Miller. A team like the Jets , Cleveland, Jacksonville, Dallas, San Francisco, Miami, Buffalo, just to be a few, would’ve loved to have played in two super bowls, won one in the last 5-6 years. Just saying...

They just don’t have much a clue what they are saying. Elway misses came from early on in his role as GM. The last 3 years or so elway has made some good pick’s. And yes he got us to two bowls and won one.

Gyldenlove
01-12-2022, 04:18 AM

14 last super bowl winning head coaches, 8 offensive-minded head coaches, 5 defensive-minded and 1 special teams. So that appears to be fairly representative.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-12-2022, 11:15 AM
14 last super bowl winning head coaches, 8 offensive-minded head coaches, 5 defensive-minded and 1 special teams. So that appears to be fairly representative.

And those numbers are a little skewed. 3 of the 5 are the same guy (Bellicheat who had Brady). The other two are Tomlin and Carroll who (at the time) had all world QBs and high scoring offenses to go along with their defenses.

Rosebus
01-12-2022, 05:36 PM

His coaching hires, sans Kubiak, have been awful. The draft is what it is but there's been multiple, in hindsight, top shelf QBs that we had a chance at. The biggest strike IMO is Josh Allen who Elway should have seen himself in as if looking in a mirror. And the guy was in his backyard. For Chubb instead. Inexcusable, really, and fireable for just about anybody else. He's kept the team afloat I guess but hasn't moved it forward since Peyton left. He's run his course. We need new blood, new energy.

Rosebus
01-12-2022, 05:50 PM
This is my dark horse guy right here. I love what I read about mayo as a leader of men with a bright mind.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Lock's mom. But if Mayo checks the boxes for Paton, I am okay with this approach. Ex recent player. Can relate with the players better, in theory. He would really need to be something special tho. I like the thought of someone young, energetic, enthusiastic.

go_broncos143
01-12-2022, 06:03 PM

Leader of men.. I heard this before

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-12-2022, 06:35 PM
Leader of men.. I heard this before

Vance Joseph is probably about to
Be a head coach again. He needed a great staff though and quarterback so he could just lead the team. Like a mike tomlin

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-12-2022, 06:36 PM
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Lock's mom. But if Mayo checks the boxes for Paton, I am okay with this approach. Ex recent player. Can relate with the players better, in theory. He would really need to be something special tho. I like the thought of someone young, energetic, enthusiastic.

How old are you?

Simple Jaded
01-13-2022, 12:16 AM
How old are you?

It was funny.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2022, 12:19 AM

As DC? Maybe, but not HC, Flores either.

I can’t believe Broncos fans need this explanation.

Hawgdriver
01-13-2022, 12:56 AM
I hope it's Moore.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2022, 01:26 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/broncos-head-coach-hiring-process-flawed

This has been stuck in my head this entire time, glad I’m not the only one skeptical.

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-13-2022, 07:15 AM
As DC? Maybe, but not HC,s either.

I can’t believe Broncos fans need this explanation.

Even if we could get him here as a DC it would be awesome. I watched quite a few videos on mayo last night and man he’s quite impressive

Simple Jaded
01-13-2022, 04:49 PM
Even if we could get him here as a DC it would be awesome. I watched quite a few videos on mayo last night and man he’s quite impressive

Sounds good to me, get him away from The Cheatriots Way before he’s too far gone.

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-14-2022, 12:18 AM
It was funny.

Smh kid’s.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2022, 02:19 AM
Smh kid’s.

I’m easily amused.

FanInAZ
01-15-2022, 12:52 PM

Bill Belichick having Brady fall into his lap by accident doesn't change the fact that he was a DC before becoming a HC https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BeliBi0.htm

Bruce Arians was a OC; but has had a top 10 scoring D 5 of the 8 years he's been a HC, so he understands that D does matter and therefore shouldn't be dismissed https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AriaBr0.htm

Andy Reid was also a OC; but has had a top 10 scoring D 13 of the 23 years he's been a HC, so he also understands that D does matter and therefore shouldn't be dismissed https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReidAn0.htm

Doug Pederson not only built the #3 scoring and & #7 total O the year he won the SB with the Eagles, but the #4 scoring and total D as well https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PedeDo0.htm

The Packers ranked #10 in scoring & #9 in total D; as well as #2 in scoring and #5 in total D when they won the SB with Rodgers in 2010 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2010.htm

So, only 1 team in the entire history of the SB won while neglecting to play D, the 2009 New Orleans Saints. They clinched that win with a pick-6 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/

King87
01-15-2022, 01:12 PM
BB also was the one who drafted Brady and developed him via a slow burn.

No one's dismissing defense. But in years past defense was probably more important than offense, and now we're either seeing offense become more important than defense, or at the least an equaling out.

FanInAZ
01-15-2022, 02:53 PM
BB also was the one who drafted Brady and developed him via a slow burn.

No one's dismissing defense. But in years past defense was probably more important than offense, and now we're either seeing offense become more important than defense, or at the least an equaling out.

If he actually believed that Brady had starting potentual, he would've drafted him no later then the 3rd round. Brady is to BB what Davis is to Shanny, an accidental 7th round bullseye.

FanInAZ
01-15-2022, 02:55 PM
For the record, I don't want our next HC to be another DC because our problems are on O.

PatriotsGuy
01-15-2022, 03:34 PM
If he actually believed that Brady had starting potentual, he would've drafted him no later then the 3rd round. Brady is to BB what Davis is to Shanny, an accidental 7th round bullseye.

That's what an OC is for

Magnificent Seven
01-15-2022, 03:39 PM
We're going to get it right: GM George Paton

Talk is cheap. Talk is nothing. Show us some damn good moves!

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-15-2022, 04:26 PM
Talk is cheap. Talk is nothing. Show us some damn good moves!

Umm Paton has made a lot of great moves from draft picks to contracts, restructuring contract’s, the whole 9. Paton has been very impressive as our GM he was clearly the bright spot on Minnesota front office because speilman the actual GM just got fired right along with the HC.

Nonetheless Paton is a great GM and has made lots of great moves and not a single blunder.. he will get the coaching hire right. And this franchise will be competing for championships as soon as next year ( at least the playoff’s) next year.

Simple Jaded
01-15-2022, 10:46 PM
Umm Paton has made a lot of great moves from draft picks to contracts, restructuring contract’s, the whole 9. Paton has been very impressive as our GM he was clearly the bright spot on Minnesota front office because speilman the actual GM just got fired right along with the HC.

Nonetheless Paton is a great GM and has made lots of great moves and not a single blunder.. he will get the coaching hire right. And this franchise will be competing for championships as soon as next year ( at least the playoff’s) next year.

You literally just said the same things Magnificent Seven did about the players.

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-16-2022, 01:53 AM
You literally just said the same things Magnificent Seven did about the players.

I have no idea what your talking about bro, anybody calling Paton out doesn’t have a clue though the guy has made plenty of move’s.

Simple Jaded
01-16-2022, 02:57 AM
I have no idea what your talking about bro, anybody calling Paton out doesn’t have a clue though the guy has made plenty of move’s.

“ Talk is cheap. Talk is nothing”

You literally said the same thing about a Justin Simmons article, I’d find your post for you but I don’t want to.

Nomad
01-16-2022, 11:03 AM
I agree with Mag Seven. Paton has to prove himself with this coaching hire and QB search. If both suck, Broncos are back to square one, and Paton didn’t live up to his promise. With that said, I have faith & confidence Paton will get both right.

Strafen
01-17-2022, 08:21 PM
For the record, I don't want our next HC to be another DC because our problems are on O.
That’s my point as well. Another DC turned head coach= more of the same!

Mozzafiato
01-19-2022, 01:54 PM

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2022, 02:22 PM
Mike Klis
@mikeklis
·
8m
Paton's Posse (Paton, Mougey, Kleine, Hurtado, Jackson, Smyth) held HC interview this morning w/Mayo at Providence hotel.
Will interview Eagles' Gannon in Philly around 2 pm MST today. Then it's on to LA for meetings tomorrow with Rams' O'Connell/Cincy's Callahan (Zoom). #9sports

Strafen
01-19-2022, 03:32 PM
Something to think about.
The Pittsburgh Steelers in its history as an NFL franchise has only had 3 head coaches. Think about that, and they second to the Patriots in super bowl wins if my memory serves me right.
Again, let this one sink in; 3 head coaches!

underrated29
01-19-2022, 03:38 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers in its history as an NFL franchise has only had 3 head coaches. Think about that, and they second to the Patriots in super bowl wins if my memory serves me right.

The reason is the same reason have been saying for a long time. QB. When you have a HOF QB or an elite QB you do not fire coaches because you are more than likely to win. Everyone is so worried about the coaches, but unless they are elite or garbage it does not matter. What matters and only what matter is having an Elite QB.

Northman
01-19-2022, 03:49 PM

It tends to be easier though when you have a franchise QB. For Denver they have really had one in Elway for which he was coached by 2 HC's. Manning would be the second but he was more of a merc and one coach bolted for Chicago and the other had health issues. Point being, i dont believe for a second that Tomlin would still be the HC of the Steelers if not for Big Ben.

Strafen
01-19-2022, 04:17 PM
The reason is the same reason have been saying for a long time. QB. When you have a HOF QB or an elite QB you do not fire coaches because you are more than likely to win. Everyone is so worried about the coaches, but unless they are elite or garbage it does not matter. What matters and only what matter is having an Elite QB.i totally agree with you. While they had Terry Bradshaw and Roethlisberger winning Super Bowls for them, they also had some crappy quarterbacks in between, especially before Roethlisberger.
Nonetheless it’s an amazing feat.
Our numbers of coaches we’ve had since Shanahan was fired is commensurate with the amount of quarterbacks we’ve had during the same time; that’s Cleveland Browns territory

Elevation inc
01-20-2022, 06:17 AM
I agree with Mag Seven. Paton has to prove himself with this coaching hire and QB search. If both suck, Broncos are back to square one, and Paton didn’t live up to his promise. With that said, I have faith & confidence Paton will get both right.

I'm actually not worried about the coach. I think Paton's pick will do well as a HC. The real questions is plans at QB, that's where Paton is highly suspect at the moment.....

Mozzafiato
01-20-2022, 07:44 PM

Strafen
01-21-2022, 01:23 AM
I'm actually not worried about the coach. I think Paton's pick will do well as a HC. The real questions is plans at QB, that's where Paton is highly suspect at the moment.....Yeah. You can almost see Cousins lurking in the back and Teddy Bridgewater as his back up!

Simple Jaded
01-22-2022, 01:48 AM
The reason is the same reason have been saying for a long time. QB. When you have a HOF QB or an elite QB you do not fire coaches because you are more than likely to win. Everyone is so worried about the coaches, but unless they are elite or garbage it does not matter. What matters and only what matter is having an Elite QB.

Go look at the QB’s they had early in Cowher’s tenure, the Stealers are a monument to patience and loyalty.

King87
01-22-2022, 02:22 AM
Yeah. You can almost see Cousins lurking in the back and Teddy Bridgewater as his back up!

Why am I imagining Cousins hiding under a desk thinking "soon, not now, but sooon?" rofl!

Jeudy10Hamler1
01-23-2022, 04:54 AM
Yeah. You can almost see Cousins lurking in the back and Teddy Bridgewater as his back up!

That would kill my soul for the broncos to trot out cousins with teddy in the waiting wing’s.